What sets Team USA apart? Luck? Not even close.

jamma10
9/21/2011 10:09am
ocscottie wrote:
[i]"On Saturday, with no rain and straight 450 vs 450 and 250 vs 250, the U.S. went 1-1-1."[/i] Pilotdude, just a reminder, those quali races dont...
"On Saturday, with no rain and straight 450 vs 450 and 250 vs 250, the U.S. went 1-1-1."

Pilotdude, just a reminder, those quali races dont count...well unless the US doesnt win them, then that is all we would be hearing about Cool
pilotdude wrote:
True. An excellent and well made point.
And funnily enough thats exactly what we heard in 2009 when GP riders swept the qualifying races and Cairoli beat Dungey last year in the Qualifiers.

This place is so hypocritical.
Barrett57
9/21/2011 10:21am
jamma10 wrote:
And funnily enough thats exactly what we heard in 2009 when GP riders swept the qualifying races and Cairoli beat Dungey last year in the Qualifiers...
And funnily enough thats exactly what we heard in 2009 when GP riders swept the qualifying races and Cairoli beat Dungey last year in the Qualifiers.

I cant beleive you even bother LaughingLaughingWink
Titan1
9/21/2011 11:06am
ocscottie wrote:
[i]"On Saturday, with no rain and straight 450 vs 450 and 250 vs 250, the U.S. went 1-1-1."[/i] Pilotdude, just a reminder, those quali races dont...
"On Saturday, with no rain and straight 450 vs 450 and 250 vs 250, the U.S. went 1-1-1."

Pilotdude, just a reminder, those quali races dont count...well unless the US doesnt win them, then that is all we would be hearing about Cool
pilotdude wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
And funnily enough thats exactly what we heard in 2009 when GP riders swept the qualifying races and Cairoli beat Dungey last year in the Qualifiers...

You just made Scottie's point...to you, they mattered in 09, but they don't in '11.
Nerd
9/21/2011 11:12am
Scottie, you're only allowed to show photos of Everts from 06. No one else mattered at that race.
ocscottie wrote:
I must be slippin Michael, it is still early :) [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/GY5L0187.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/everts_podium.jpg[/img]
I must be slippin Michael, it is still early Smile

I was there that day. Everts was simply amazing. And what I have to say is not to take anything away from him.

BUT!

The second moto that he won, when he passed Stewart, Stewart DID settle for second. He chose not to chase Everts because Everts was going really fast and it would've been risky.

That being said, could Stewart have beaten Everts? Yes, he could have. He also could have crashed trying to catch and/or pass Everts. So he settled for second to get the win for Team USA.

The same can be said about Everts settling for second to RC in 2003. The only thing that makes that seem unlikely is that Everts has never beaten RC a single time when they were on the same class of motorcycles. Going by that, I don't think he could've beaten RC, because they raced quite a few times on the same class of bikes and RC always won.

However, Stewart and Everts only raced that one event in 2006. And Everts won.

Everts is and was amazing, and he's one of my favorite people, not just racers. The guy is just the epitome of cool. I love Stefan Everts. But at the same time, I've been at every MXoN since 2005, and every AMA Supercross and Motocross since 2004, and the James Stewart that finished second to Everts in 2006 in England was NOT the James Stewart that raced all year that year.

The Shop

Titan1
9/21/2011 11:16am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2011 11:17am
Scottie, you're only allowed to show photos of Everts from 06. No one else mattered at that race.
ocscottie wrote:
I must be slippin Michael, it is still early :) [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/GY5L0187.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/everts_podium.jpg[/img]

Nerd wrote:
I was there that day. Everts was simply amazing. And what I have to say is not to take anything away from him. BUT! The second...
I was there that day. Everts was simply amazing. And what I have to say is not to take anything away from him.

BUT!

The second moto that he won, when he passed Stewart, Stewart DID settle for second. He chose not to chase Everts because Everts was going really fast and it would've been risky.

That being said, could Stewart have beaten Everts? Yes, he could have. He also could have crashed trying to catch and/or pass Everts. So he settled for second to get the win for Team USA.

The same can be said about Everts settling for second to RC in 2003. The only thing that makes that seem unlikely is that Everts has never beaten RC a single time when they were on the same class of motorcycles. Going by that, I don't think he could've beaten RC, because they raced quite a few times on the same class of bikes and RC always won.

Everts is and was amazing, and he's one of my favorite people, not just racers. The guy is just the epitome of cool. I love Stefan Everts. But at the same time, I've been at every MXoN since 2005, and every AMA Supercross and Motocross since 2004, and the James Stewart that finished second to Everts in 2006 in England was NOT the James Stewart that raced all year that year.
I'm not as close to the sport as you are, but even in the videos of the Stewart/Everts 06 battle, I was thinking "This doesn't look like the Stewart I watched all season". It's nice to have someone so close to the sport validate my observation.

And I agree with you about Everts. Class Act! One of the best to ever put a leg over a motocross bike. He's in the top 3 of my all time favorite riders.
jamma10
9/21/2011 11:44am
pilotdude wrote:
jamma10 wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
You just made Scottie's point...to you, they mattered in 09, but they don't in '11.
No what I meant was.... ahhh forget it.

Like I say, this place is just a constant cycle of hypocrisy, double standards and chest pounding.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
9/21/2011 11:53am
At least the hypocrisy is mutual. It makes it easy to flip roles when the circumstances call for it. "Your turn."
Titan1
9/21/2011 12:42pm
jamma10 wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
No what I meant was.... ahhh forget it.

Like I say, this place is just a constant cycle of hypocrisy, double standards and chest pounding.
Is that a self inclusive or exclusive statement?
9/21/2011 12:42pm
ocscottie wrote:

Nerd wrote:
I was there that day. Everts was simply amazing. And what I have to say is not to take anything away from him. BUT! The second...

BUT!

Titan1 wrote:
I'm not as close to the sport as you are, but even in the videos of the Stewart/Everts 06 battle, I was thinking "This doesn't look...
I'm not as close to the sport as you are, but even in the videos of the Stewart/Everts 06 battle, I was thinking "This doesn't look like the Stewart I watched all season". It's nice to have someone so close to the sport validate my observation.

And I agree with you about Everts. Class Act! One of the best to ever put a leg over a motocross bike. He's in the top 3 of my all time favorite riders.
i was there that day aswel- stewart went down in moto1 whilst trying to stay with everts (and finished WAY behind him)
moto 3 after everts had taken the lead, he slowly started to pull away- stewart came into the whoops sideways a couple of laps later, hanging off the bike, definitely not like someone that was settling for 2nd!!! After everts had pulled a 7 or 8 second gap, i think james gave up (because he couldnt run that pace that day)

the james stewart you saw race all year was on AMA tracks - that are alot faster. Matterly had huge ruts all the way round that day, which is why everts excelled and stewart didnt look as fast as he does on flat out ama tracks,

Everts' ride that day was amazing- the way he stood up round those gnarly ruts was absolutely awesome!!! That, and his mud riding display in 98 at foxhills (which i was also lucky enough to witness first hand) are 2 of the greatest mx riding clinics i have ever seen- the man is a legend, and one of the best technical riders the sport has ever seen
Titan1
9/21/2011 1:09pm
Nerd wrote:

BUT!

Titan1 wrote:
I'm not as close to the sport as you are, but even in the videos of the Stewart/Everts 06 battle, I was thinking "This doesn't look...

i was there that day aswel- stewart went down in moto1 whilst trying to stay with everts (and finished WAY behind him) moto 3 after everts...
i was there that day aswel- stewart went down in moto1 whilst trying to stay with everts (and finished WAY behind him)
moto 3 after everts had taken the lead, he slowly started to pull away- stewart came into the whoops sideways a couple of laps later, hanging off the bike, definitely not like someone that was settling for 2nd!!! After everts had pulled a 7 or 8 second gap, i think james gave up (because he couldnt run that pace that day)

the james stewart you saw race all year was on AMA tracks - that are alot faster. Matterly had huge ruts all the way round that day, which is why everts excelled and stewart didnt look as fast as he does on flat out ama tracks,

Everts' ride that day was amazing- the way he stood up round those gnarly ruts was absolutely awesome!!! That, and his mud riding display in 98 at foxhills (which i was also lucky enough to witness first hand) are 2 of the greatest mx riding clinics i have ever seen- the man is a legend, and one of the best technical riders the sport has ever seen
You're right, AMA tracks don't have any ruts in them at all. And they don't have any bumps, or whoops either. they are just "flat out" highways with huge jumps in them. No wonder Stewart couldn't ride at Matterly. He's never even seen ruts before because he raced on AMA tracks.

LOL

You mean a guy on a dirt bike came into the whoops sideways? You mean, there isn't perfect traction on motocross tracks?

LOL

Come on, We've all watched Stewart ride on all kinds of tracks, and the way he rode at Matterly in 06 wasn't to his potential. That doesn't take anything away from everts (so don't take it personal), Everts was incredible that day, and Stewart would have had to really push to beat him. But it was a team race, and Stewart (and his team) won the race Everts (and his team) lost. Stewart did the right thing by backing it down.
carlosmacho
9/21/2011 1:21pm
jamma10 wrote:
I can unequivocally say that I have no problem with accepting that the US deserved to win, as I have stated countless times in other threads...
I can unequivocally say that I have no problem with accepting that the US deserved to win, as I have stated countless times in other threads. I always said going into that final moto you probably couldn't wish for two riders you would rather have on my team than Villopoto and Dungey and I have no issue whatsoever with acknowledging their incredible talent or the way they went about that last race. At least one American race win was always on the cards so it was inevitable that one of them would win at some point.

Every one of Americas victories is thoroughly deserved and Im not trying to take that away from them. Its simply the ludicrous suggestion that these victories are so easy to come by that riles me and the refusal to even acknowledge that many of the events in recent years have ultimately been decided by unbelievably bad luck, not a huge gulf in skill level that some deluded people seem to revel in believing.

With comparably limited resources and often countless injury woes most of the other nations competing at the MXdN face a massive task in beating the US every year. Yet year after year they push them all the way until a freak incident invariably happens over which they have very little if not no control whatsoever.

There are maybe 4 MX1 GP riders who have the measure of (not necessarily beating) Villopoto & Dungey;
Cairoli
Desalle
Frossard
Pourcel

Two of those were out injured before the event even started, one of them crashed in the sludge in first corner of the first race and then ruined his weekend trying to make up for it and the other guys mousse popped off the rim while lying in second place in the last race... and how many times does that happen?

Its not sour grapes, its simply disappointment that these things inevitably seem to happen at the MXdN. The phrase 'Handed to on a plate' springs to mind.
You said "refusal to even acknowledge that many of the events in recent years have ultimately been decided "

These are called excuses because you still not have accepted the Americans are faster and better riders. Lets list them.

The Euros did not win because...

1. "comparably limited resources "
2. "countless injury woes "
3. "face a massive task " (too hard)
4. "unbelievably bad luck"
5. "freak incident invariably happens"
6."two of those were out injured before the event even started"
7. "crashed in the sludge in first corner"
8. "guys mousse popped off the rim"
9. ACs handbars broke

Lets see the top reasons why the Americans won.

1. Blake Bagget crashed into AC in the first corner.
2. Blake crashed several other times.
3. The Americans never rode on this track before.
4. The American had jet lag and were tired
5. The bikes are different from the American bikes.
6. RV got a bad holeshot in his first moto
7. Blake got another bad holeshot.

The undeniable truth... You make your own luck.
9/21/2011 1:24pm
didnt say that ama tracks dont get bumps or ruts in! or that they are flat out highways- but they do get groomed alot more throughout the day than gp tracks though, and are generally faster (townley and de reuver have both commented on it)
in my opinion- james couldnt have beaten everts that day, it was really technical- and stefan excelled in the conditions.
In my opinion, stewart backed down after he realised he couldnt stay with everts
level
9/21/2011 1:26pm
How did this turn into a 3 page discussion? Geez it was just a write up and a good one at that.
9/21/2011 1:26pm
jamma10 wrote:
I can unequivocally say that I have no problem with accepting that the US deserved to win, as I have stated countless times in other threads...
I can unequivocally say that I have no problem with accepting that the US deserved to win, as I have stated countless times in other threads. I always said going into that final moto you probably couldn't wish for two riders you would rather have on my team than Villopoto and Dungey and I have no issue whatsoever with acknowledging their incredible talent or the way they went about that last race. At least one American race win was always on the cards so it was inevitable that one of them would win at some point.

Every one of Americas victories is thoroughly deserved and Im not trying to take that away from them. Its simply the ludicrous suggestion that these victories are so easy to come by that riles me and the refusal to even acknowledge that many of the events in recent years have ultimately been decided by unbelievably bad luck, not a huge gulf in skill level that some deluded people seem to revel in believing.

With comparably limited resources and often countless injury woes most of the other nations competing at the MXdN face a massive task in beating the US every year. Yet year after year they push them all the way until a freak incident invariably happens over which they have very little if not no control whatsoever.

There are maybe 4 MX1 GP riders who have the measure of (not necessarily beating) Villopoto & Dungey;
Cairoli
Desalle
Frossard
Pourcel

Two of those were out injured before the event even started, one of them crashed in the sludge in first corner of the first race and then ruined his weekend trying to make up for it and the other guys mousse popped off the rim while lying in second place in the last race... and how many times does that happen?

Its not sour grapes, its simply disappointment that these things inevitably seem to happen at the MXdN. The phrase 'Handed to on a plate' springs to mind.
You said "refusal to even acknowledge that many of the events in recent years have ultimately been decided " These are called excuses because you still...
You said "refusal to even acknowledge that many of the events in recent years have ultimately been decided "

These are called excuses because you still not have accepted the Americans are faster and better riders. Lets list them.

The Euros did not win because...

1. "comparably limited resources "
2. "countless injury woes "
3. "face a massive task " (too hard)
4. "unbelievably bad luck"
5. "freak incident invariably happens"
6."two of those were out injured before the event even started"
7. "crashed in the sludge in first corner"
8. "guys mousse popped off the rim"
9. ACs handbars broke

Lets see the top reasons why the Americans won.

1. Blake Bagget crashed into AC in the first corner.
2. Blake crashed several other times.
3. The Americans never rode on this track before.
4. The American had jet lag and were tired
5. The bikes are different from the American bikes.
6. RV got a bad holeshot in his first moto
7. Blake got another bad holeshot.

The undeniable truth... You make your own luck.
'you make your own luck'
so should pourcel fit his own tyres and goggle lenses?
maybe dungey should be his own mechanic? and windham (and whoever else has had mechanical problems)
carlosmacho
9/21/2011 1:36pm
ocscottie wrote:

pilotdude wrote:
jamma10 wrote:

Why do you say that it is hypocritical.

The only real reason the qualifiers don't matter is if you win. Who cares about qualifiers if your the winner. So the Americans won in 2009 and 2011.

So is you say, in 2009 the qualifiers mattered, I would say, not really the Americans won.

If you say the 2011 qualifiers matter, I would say not really the Americans won.

But if you try to bring up the Euros are faster, discarding the point the Americans won. I will bring up the qualifiers, because it is another piece of evidence not only did the American s win but could have beat your guys straight up. That is not hypocritical.
carlosmacho
9/21/2011 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2011 1:45pm
'you make your own luck' so should pourcel fit his own tyres and goggle lenses? maybe dungey should be his own mechanic? and windham (and whoever...
'you make your own luck'
maybe dungey should be his own mechanic? and windham (and whoever else has had mechanical problems)
How do you make your own luck in this case? You look over your bike to make sure the parts like tires are aligned right on the rim and check the presser. You verify you have enough perhaps more tear offs on an iffy day like the cloudy mxon. You open your gas cap to check the bike is completely full.
You ride more conservatively so the bike is not put under as much stress (Like Dungey did, he did not try to pass Roczen right away even though he knew that people might say Roczen is faster but his bike stayed together. You don't run your bike on the rev limiter. You spot check what your mechanics do.
You try to anticipate what can happen and ride accordingly.

That is how you make your own luck
carlosmacho
9/21/2011 1:47pm
didnt say that ama tracks dont get bumps or ruts in! or that they are flat out highways- but they do get groomed alot more throughout...
didnt say that ama tracks dont get bumps or ruts in! or that they are flat out highways- but they do get groomed alot more throughout the day than gp tracks though, and are generally faster (townley and de reuver have both commented on it)
in my opinion- james couldnt have beaten everts that day, it was really technical- and stefan excelled in the conditions.
In my opinion, stewart backed down after he realised he couldnt stay with everts
The fact is James won that day. The MXON, that is what he was there to do and he did it. Who cares if some other riders were willing to go faster because they had not chances of winning. Or that that day one rider might be faster than another.

It was just another American winning yet another MXON.
9/21/2011 1:53pm
'you make your own luck' so should pourcel fit his own tyres and goggle lenses? maybe dungey should be his own mechanic? and windham (and whoever...
'you make your own luck'
How do you make your own luck in this case? You look over your bike to make sure the parts like tires are aligned right on...
How do you make your own luck in this case? You look over your bike to make sure the parts like tires are aligned right on the rim and check the presser. You verify you have enough perhaps more tear offs on an iffy day like the cloudy mxon. You open your gas cap to check the bike is completely full.
You ride more conservatively so the bike is not put under as much stress (Like Dungey did, he did not try to pass Roczen right away even though he knew that people might say Roczen is faster but his bike stayed together. You don't run your bike on the rev limiter. You spot check what your mechanics do.
You try to anticipate what can happen and ride accordingly.

That is how you make your own luck
the mousse will have come out of the tyre due to one of the wires being damaged (someone levering against them when fitting them) - no way you could see that by looking at it Laughing
his goggle malfunction was the lense breaking- nothing to do with tearoffs

dungey not passing roczen because he was trying to ride conservatively to put his bike under less stress LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

thats the best one yet!!!!

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Titan1
9/21/2011 1:58pm
didnt say that ama tracks dont get bumps or ruts in! or that they are flat out highways- but they do get groomed alot more throughout...
The fact is James won that day. The MXON, that is what he was there to do and he did it. Who cares if some other...
The fact is James won that day. The MXON, that is what he was there to do and he did it. Who cares if some other riders were willing to go faster because they had not chances of winning. Or that that day one rider might be faster than another.

It was just another American winning yet another MXON.
Remember in 03 when Belgium won the MXdN but RC smoked Everts (on a two stroke vs Everts four stroke) for the MX1 overall....remember what all the GP cheerleaders said? "Everts was riding for the team win, and not to his full potential". But in 06 when America won the mxdn but Everts beat Stewart for the MX1 overall....what do the GP cheerleaders say "Everts beat Stewart, Everts was faster no way in the world stewart was riding for the team win, he slid out in a corner and was hanging off the back of the bike not how a guy riding for 2nd rides".

Yet the GP cheerleaders have the nerve to come here and say that the Americans are hypocritical?? pffft.
carlosmacho
9/21/2011 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2011 2:00pm
the mousse will have come out of the tyre due to one of the wires being damaged (someone levering against them when fitting them) - no...
the mousse will have come out of the tyre due to one of the wires being damaged (someone levering against them when fitting them) - no way you could see that by looking at it Laughing

dungey not passing roczen because he was trying to ride conservatively to put his bike under less stress LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Could Blake Bagget known that AC was going to crash in front of him (in hind sight it seems AC always crashes). No, but as I said they prepared well and they won.

"dungey not passing roczen because he was trying to ride conservatively to put his bike under less stress

You can believe what you want, but Dungey smoked him him in qualifiers and in the 3rd moto. He chose to ride conservatively. Now you can believe what you want, and if it makes you feel better to think Roczen and straight up beat Dungey at that race, go for it. But the Americans make their own luck (good) and the Euros make their own as well (bad) and the Americans won.
Nerd
9/21/2011 2:25pm
I don't know why Townley would say that, but De Reuver hasn't raced here since, what, 2008? And then, only once at Southwick. And they DO groom Southwick, just in the area by the start line.

They don't groom the tracks basically at all in the USA once the racing has started. All they do is address the first turn and any other places where things get a bit dangerous. Otherwise, it just stays like it is.

How many AMA motocross events have you EVER been to? And, assuming the answer isn't zero (although it probably is), when/where were they?
DrSweden
9/21/2011 2:27pm
Good article, and gets better when some adds even more shades of gray.
pilotdude
9/21/2011 2:34pm
ocscottie wrote:

Nerd wrote:

BUT!

Easily the best summation of what I've also thought about that particular race and Everts. Nerd, I'd also like your opinion on something: Do you think that if Carmichael had not been injured at Glen Helen and had been team captain in 2006, with Stewart on MX3, that the dynamics of Team USA and the MXdN would have changed...and if so how?
Nerd
9/21/2011 2:44pm
I could show you guys the email I sent (but I won't) immediately after the MX1 qualifier on Saturday when I said, "Cairoli looked really good. But he always looks good on Qualifying day. On Sunday, usually, not so much..."

It's like I'm psychic.

How about this:

Despite the fact that there are way more GP racers in the MXoN than AMA racers, this is how the classes broke down in the three motos:

MX1, three of the top five were AMA racers overall.

MX2, three of the top five were AMA racers overall (and that's counting Roczen as a GP guy, even though he raced in the AMA in 2011 and will be racing in the AMA full-time in 2012, so really you could say four of the five...).

MX3, there were only 3 AMA racers in the class, but they all finished in the top 8.

Of the racers on the three teams on the podium, EIGHT out of the nine of them have raced in the AMA, while only four have raced in the GPs. Currently, of the nine, six of the nine race in the AMA, and SEVEN out of the nine raced in the AMA in 2011.

Scoreboard.

And this is on tracks they're not used to. AMA tracks are a lot different, and it's not because they're faster or smoother. They're disked deeper, for one thing, and there is much more top-soil before you get to the hardpack stuff underneath. On top of that, it rained in all three motos, some worse than others, and it's no secret that GP racers are notoriously better at mud riding than AMA racers, because they do it more.

Can we stop arguing now?

Or should we look at the scores when the GP guys have come to US tracks in recent years and compare/contrast?

MX1/MX2 moto in 2007 at Budds Creek: Top three, all AMA guys.

MX2/MX3 moto same event: Two of the five (including the winner) were AMA guys.

MX1/MX3 moto same event: Top three, all AMA guys.

Team USA won all three classes overall.

Seems pretty consistent.

Also consistent at that event, Cairoli did terribly, which is almost a given nowadays. He's very fast, but something almost always happens on Sunday.
Nerd
9/21/2011 2:46pm
pilotdude wrote:
Easily the best summation of what I've also thought about that particular race and Everts. Nerd, I'd also like your opinion on something: Do you think...
Easily the best summation of what I've also thought about that particular race and Everts. Nerd, I'd also like your opinion on something: Do you think that if Carmichael had not been injured at Glen Helen and had been team captain in 2006, with Stewart on MX3, that the dynamics of Team USA and the MXdN would have changed...and if so how?
Yeah, because Stewart was never very comfortable going overseas anyway, and he wasn't prepared to be the team leader - RC was going to be that guy.

But Team USA would've still won. The score would've just been different. In the end, as far as the record books are concerned, there's no difference.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
9/21/2011 2:46pm
A whole lot of pressure immediately landed on Stewart for his first crack at this event when RC went down.

Watch it and tell be that guy isn't feeling the heat.

Crossup
9/21/2011 2:50pm
the mousse will have come out of the tyre due to one of the wires being damaged (someone levering against them when fitting them) - no...

What you outlined regarding CP's tire is a problem with the preparation of the bike. The team failed CP there by not being organized.

Per Xavier in this thread:

- Last sunday, the (different) tire manufacturer's crew, under pressure from the busy MXDN motos schedule and the weird track conditions of the day, changed the tire on CP's replacement bike (he used his replacement bike in moto 3) but kept the (new) mousse which was there (which is a no-no, by their own standards, once a mousse has been mounted before, you don't re-mount it, whether it has actually been used or not, that means if Pourcel had brought his moto 1 bike for the tire service, they would definitely have changed the mousse and maybe nothing would have happened) and, to make things worse, that mousse was not compatible with the tire that CP choosed for that moto. Both Desalle and Nagl (the latter during a GP moto) had experienced the same problem with the same mousse/tire brand earlier this season, triggering strict choices and procedures to be applied from the mounting crew, procedures which were unfortunately not applied this time on Pourcel's rear wheel. We hear someone has been fired on the site by the manufacturer over this.
Nerd
9/21/2011 2:51pm
2007, moto one, RV wins by 15 seconds over Reed (who was pretty fat) and RC is 5 more seconds behind in third (suffering from the shits). RV's best laptime is 4.5 seconds faster than Reed's, three seconds faster than RC's, and four seconds faster than the fastest GP guy's laptime, Jonathan Barragan in fifth.

Moto two, RV wins by 65 seconds over Ken de Dycker. His best laptime was more than three seconds faster than De Dycker's.

Doesn't have much to do with this, except that RV is a bad mofo. And he was back then, too.
kongols
9/21/2011 2:51pm
I was just stopping by to see if everybody`s OK. DryBlush
ayearinmx
9/21/2011 2:57pm
this is how you win an event, despite losing:

# STEFAN EVERTS: "... This is an incredible day and it has been an amazing year .. To win the Motocross des Nations, in Belgium and in front of the king is a dream come true. I didn’t have any problems with my riding in the final. I made the holeshot and rode at my own pace. I’m so happy, but maybe a little bit of me is disappointed that I didn’t win the race. It has been great to have the Americans here today. They bring prestige to the event and that is important for European motocross. Ricky (Carmichael) was faster than me today – hopefully he will return for a rematch next year

so no, he wasn't riding for the team.... and he's big enough to admit it, wish he'd get more credit for that quote than his performance in 2006, but apparently Stewart would've beaten him anyway so it's a moot point

"I took exception, not as an American, but as a motocross fan."... are you arguing as an American now, or as a motocross fan?

Post a reply to: What sets Team USA apart? Luck? Not even close.

The Latest