What’s going on with Plessinger?

TXDirt
Watching him ride last night his form seems so off. Compared to when he was on the 250. I would have bet he would have a good transition to the 450s. But watching last night his form is way off.

What are you all seeing? Is it the bike? Is it him. Is it both?

Something is off...
|
slipdog
1/26/2020 11:54am
I wonder about his broken heel...
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
Confidence is key. He’s taken quite a few big hits and injuries since his last national on a 250. Once he gets some races under his belt his talent will come through. Just gotta stay healthy.
akmx17
A lot of faster people than him right now.
He hurt his foot really really bad a year ago -- it's not easy to do that at the beginning of your 450 career than try to keep the same momentum you had going in.

Look at Cooper's first two years, let him develop.
1/26/2020 11:57am
Dude, he’s been “off” ever since he moved up. Plenty of past 250 champs have been unable to make the jump to the big boy’s class, although...getting off the blue pig certainly cured Cooper’s issues.

The Shop

mmcmx
1/26/2020 12:03pm
Well, his problem is that there are about 10 guys faster than him in the world. It's not as bad as my problem since there are about 10 million people faster than me, but still, being an individual sport, it sucks since there is only place for 3 guys in the podium.
TXDirt
1/26/2020 12:05pm
mmcmx wrote:
Well, his problem is that there are about 10 guys faster than him in the world. It's not as bad as my problem since there are...
Well, his problem is that there are about 10 guys faster than him in the world. It's not as bad as my problem since there are about 10 million people faster than me, but still, being an individual sport, it sucks since there is only place for 3 guys in the podium.
All very true. But go back and watch the race. He needs to work on his form. Doesn’t even look like the Aaron of two years ago. Two different riders now.
Leedle
1/26/2020 12:08pm
Its gotta be mentally tough too. Like James was saying in the A1 review video, getting passed over and over can ruin your mental state.
mmcmx
1/26/2020 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2020 12:13pm
TXDirt wrote:
All very true. But go back and watch the race. He needs to work on his form. Doesn’t even look like the Aaron of two years...
All very true. But go back and watch the race. He needs to work on his form. Doesn’t even look like the Aaron of two years ago. Two different riders now.
He really did look better on the 250. It must be tough to have the same confidence with the top guys.
tek14
1/26/2020 12:13pm
Well he was in top10 this weekend racing with guys. Seems getting better.
1/26/2020 12:13pm
When you all get out there and do what hes doing then ill believe you have reason to talk shit.
agn5009
1/26/2020 12:14pm
A lot thought he'd relate to the 450 much better just based off his size. I never understood that theory since the vast majority of 450 champs are under 6'. RC, RV, CW, CR, RD, KR, JS, MC etc. JA is one of the few who was 6' or taller.

TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
1/26/2020 12:28pm
TXDirt wrote:
Watching him ride last night his form seems so off. Compared to when he was on the 250. I would have bet he would have a...
Watching him ride last night his form seems so off. Compared to when he was on the 250. I would have bet he would have a good transition to the 450s. But watching last night his form is way off.

Something is off...
What makes you think something in his form is off? Such as???? I had a pretty good view last night (3rd row up) and was watching him (among the other riders). I actually made a point to our 16 year old son during the races to look at how AP was standing up in the first turn corner (Decoster style), weighting the outside peg, using his lower body and core to control the bike (as opposed to his upper body) and attacking the track. I actually made a point to our son to watch AP as what to do, not what not to do.

What are you seeing that I missed with respect to his form. I thought he looked good.

I just think the competition is too good and he's a top 5-12 rider in the world of SX (no shame in that). 75% of the riders in the 450 class are former 250 lites champions. And last night, that track raced like shit. No obstacles to differentiate each other and make up time, one fastest line everybody took. The only set of obstacles worth mentioning were the whoops - they are very difficult (and dangerous).
jgmxdad251
1/26/2020 12:30pm
Thought he rode well. All factory guys in front of him, he’s starting to see the pace at the front now.
Toddler125
1/26/2020 1:01pm
He needs to go ride for the Butler Bros on a KTM! Replace Bogle and team up with Bagget next year. Looks like he needs a new start. And then... after four or 5 years riding KTM SX/MX he can go race GNCC for them!
1/26/2020 1:07pm
He's down in confidence however he probably is one of the "lower" 250 champions of recent memory.
downard254
1/26/2020 1:34pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
Thought he rode well. All factory guys in front of him, he’s starting to see the pace at the front now.
I was just saying this in a different thread. I thought he looked better last night than he did in the first three rounds. Let him build some confidence up toward the front for a while and see if he picks up some speed.
TDeath21
1/26/2020 1:36pm
It took Baggett how long to start battling with the front guys? 3 years? 4? Very rarely does it happen immediately like it did for Roczen, Tomac, and AC.
TXDirt
1/26/2020 2:01pm
TXDirt wrote:
Watching him ride last night his form seems so off. Compared to when he was on the 250. I would have bet he would have a...

Something is off...
TbonesPop wrote:
What makes you think something in his form is off? Such as???? I had a pretty good view last night (3rd row up) and was watching...
What makes you think something in his form is off? Such as???? I had a pretty good view last night (3rd row up) and was watching him (among the other riders). I actually made a point to our 16 year old son during the races to look at how AP was standing up in the first turn corner (Decoster style), weighting the outside peg, using his lower body and core to control the bike (as opposed to his upper body) and attacking the track. I actually made a point to our son to watch AP as what to do, not what not to do.

What are you seeing that I missed with respect to his form. I thought he looked good.

I just think the competition is too good and he's a top 5-12 rider in the world of SX (no shame in that). 75% of the riders in the 450 class are former 250 lites champions. And last night, that track raced like shit. No obstacles to differentiate each other and make up time, one fastest line everybody took. The only set of obstacles worth mentioning were the whoops - they are very difficult (and dangerous).
You are probably right

He looks like he’s laboring on the bike more though. Elbows down a lot more. Doesn’t look like the same rider style wise. I’ve been watching races going on three decades. Rarely ever miss a lap.

Just an observation. Not attacking him personally. I Don’t dislike any rider. They are all bad dudes.
c0ncEpT
1/26/2020 2:21pm
He has no confidence. Just like Webb. Getting beat down over and over can really effect you psyche.
Knobbyjake
1/26/2020 2:48pm
Must be "the Blue Pig." Barcia had his one good race and he's back to being average too.
JRCII
1/26/2020 3:15pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
Must be "the Blue Pig." Barcia had his one good race and he's back to being average too.
I would like to Plessinger on another 450 brand before I'd say his MX career is over and maybe on to GNCC type racing.
racerx317
1/26/2020 4:11pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
I agree 100%. The bike is all over the place. It’s like that bike is only good on limited tracks. I’m looking forward to AP getting fired just so he can prove himself on a program that has their crap together. He would actually be better off racing his 250 in the 450 class.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
1/26/2020 4:15pm
TXDirt wrote:
You are probably right He looks like he’s laboring on the bike more though. Elbows down a lot more. Doesn’t look like the same rider style...
You are probably right

He looks like he’s laboring on the bike more though. Elbows down a lot more. Doesn’t look like the same rider style wise. I’ve been watching races going on three decades. Rarely ever miss a lap.

Just an observation. Not attacking him personally. I Don’t dislike any rider. They are all bad dudes.
No worries, I wasn't trying to imply you didn't like him. The lap times are so close between the top 15 riders, the way riders separate are by scrubbing harder, staying lower, better whoop speed, and being smooth. Last night, he lost time in the whoops, and he was taking the outside line which had a ton of massive acceleration bumps. He wasn't getting good drive into the whoops. That could have been a suspension set up or line choice issue. He also doesn't scrub as hard as the did on the 250, which could be a confidence issue in the bike or a mental issue from his injury. I think his issue may be a combination of really small issues adding up. Plus, he needs to get better starts consistently. I don't see anything with his fundamentals or riding "form". Technique may be a better description of where he's lacking a little. But keep in mind, in the 250 class the talent isn't as difficult and a rider can get away with not being perfectly on point all the time. But in a stacked field, there's no room for error. Losing 0.3 seconds over 21 minutes is 6.3 seconds in a race, plus with a bad start and trying to get through a field of riders can put a rider behind the eight ball very early on.
bents
Fantasy
909th
1/26/2020 8:47pm
He is a fast dude in a really fast class-he is in the deep end and eventually he will either learn how to swim or drown. Nothing easy about being 1 of the top 10 riders in 450 SX at this point in time, never mind the top 20. Bad dudes all.
1/27/2020 12:01am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2020 12:28am
While it is easy to attribute it to the "Blue Pig", "Transition from 250" etc, there is something else in play.

Plessinger's performance is clearly off from last season. Prior to getting hurt in '19, his average finish was 9th and his best was 5th in class, so transition to 450 wasn't the issue. He was beating Tomac on Eli-ish days.

This season, Plessinger has regressed to average of 12th and best of 9th. I don't tend to blame the bike as it is still the same basic model as last season. One could argue that the field is deeper, but I doubt one could come up with a rider difference that would drop AP four positions season-over-season. And I have seen countless examples of those who have said last season's effort was sub-par (this I don't agree with) -- AP was basically in the same place through 3-4 races as Cianciarulo currently.

What I do understand is that heel injuries are slow, painful, and unpredictable.
Patrick461
1/27/2020 1:53am
He’s burning up his contract quick. If he’s going to do something it better be fast. No one is going to sign him to circulate in the back next year. It may be back to the woods soon. Bogel will not have as ride next year either.
philG
1/27/2020 2:26am
Ferrandis is going to be on that bike, Yamaha need a 2nd string 450 team to run Plessinger . He is good , but not factory level on a 450.. and i really thought he would be.
Villo2fan
1/27/2020 2:30am
When you all get out there and do what hes doing then ill believe you have reason to talk shit.
Always love incredible takes like this. Following this dumb logic no message board for any sport would exist because we can’t do what they do. literally the dumbest argument one could make. Congrats
1/27/2020 2:35am
I think He needs a tall seat bad, I owned the previous gen Yamaha as well as the current one and I will tell you the old gen that he won 250s on was way more tall guy friendly

Post a reply to: What’s going on with Plessinger?

The Latest