What riding tips would've helped you tremendously if you had known them as a beginner?

wfo4ever
6/2/2018 12:38am
You do know the trophy you are trying so hard to win only cost the promoter $10.00 wether you life or die in this motocross race.
Wiff3
6/2/2018 4:32am
Don't let your friends use your tie downs, you'll never get them back.
Titan1
6/4/2018 8:32am
Wiff3 wrote:
Don't let your friends use your tie downs, you'll never get them back.
Most true advice in the thread!
pilotdude
6/4/2018 9:36am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2018 9:41am
A very wealthy and successful person one told me, "The quality of your life is largely determined by the questions you ask yourself, and what you decide you want those answers to be."

So I would say, ask yourself:

Why am I doing this?

What do you want to get out of it?

If you know the answers to those questions, you will know what direction you want your riding and/or racing to go, and how to equip and train yourself accordingly.

As for the technique questions, so many good ones here. I've always found that when I'm relaxed and enjoying myself, I invariably ride better than when I'm stressed about the race. Some of my best races have been ones where it almost felt like I was on autopilot because I was so relaxed.

About bike mods, go for those that make you smoother, not "faster." Also, if a better rider can get on your bike and go faster than you, is it your bike or yourself that needs improvement?

For racing, here are some of the techniques I use.

1. Try to maintain a good level of fitness. You will look and feel better in all aspects of your life...not just racing.
2. Remember to breathe. Sounds funny but it's true. I actually say that out loud to myself during races sometimes.
3. The more seat time you have, the better you will be, but to really improve you must have coaching in some form
from those who are better than you. Lessons, video, watching them on the track.
4. Riding within your limits, patience, and incremental improvements are better than doing things before you are ready and surgery.
5. Being friends with the guys you race against is one of the best parts of being in racing. Keep perspective.

There is so much more but like many things in life, you have to learn by doing. Enjoy yourself and riding!

The Shop

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
6/4/2018 4:00pm
#1 should be proper suspension setup and spring rates. Then riding techniques.
Titan1
6/5/2018 9:45am
Moto_Geek wrote:
#1 should be proper suspension setup and spring rates. Then riding techniques.
To each his own, but for a beginner rider, nothing is more important than proper technique. Once they get the basics of technique down, then suspension comes next. Just my .02 though...so you know how much my opinion is worth. LOL.
6/5/2018 7:46pm
1) Keep your ego/pride in check because there's always gonna be somebody better, so just have fun!
2) ALWAYS use a condom.

Post a reply to: What riding tips would've helped you tremendously if you had known them as a beginner?

The Latest