What riding tips would've helped you tremendously if you had known them as a beginner?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/30/2018 1:38 PM

Weighting the pegs, looking ahead, etc.

|

5/30/2018 1:40 PM

Eating right, endurance training and staying on the pipe!!

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

5/30/2018 1:50 PM

Just sending it!

|

5/30/2018 1:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 1:55 PM

Ride with your legs, not your upper body. Grip the shroud, and seat with your knees and legs. Practice corners corners corners, instead of jumps, weigh outside peg, keep outside elbows up.

|

5/30/2018 1:51 PM

|

5/30/2018 1:55 PM

Stand

|

5/30/2018 1:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 6:14 AM

|

5/30/2018 1:58 PM

Use your back brake less, control the bike more with your front brake.

Grip with your knees.

Stand more.

Click up a gear and don't over rev the engine.

Be confident, but ride within your limits.

Don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing, it will come in time.

|

5/30/2018 2:05 PM

Berm505 wrote:

Ride with your legs, not your upper body. Grip the shroud, and seat with your knees and legs. Practice corners corners ...more

Don't get advice off the internet. You don't "grip" the bike with your legs and knees, if you do that the bike cannot "work" underneath you. Unless you're looking to become the next Ronnie Mac.

My advice find a good pro level rider who can spend some time working with you.

|

5/30/2018 2:07 PM

Get your suspension dialed in to your weight & pace.

Have good rubber on the front.

You're welcome. wink

|

5/30/2018 2:09 PM

Ride forward so the bike has to catch up to you. That way you don't have to hang on so tight.

|

Name withheld... Esquire

5/30/2018 2:11 PM

Using your legs to counter act acceleration and braking not your arms. Stand stand stand

|

5/30/2018 2:16 PM

Play golf instead

|

5/30/2018 2:21 PM

Legs forward in the corners!

At 66 this is a tough one to get through my thick skull as it is not part and parcel to my muscle memory.........
|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

5/30/2018 2:25 PM

Front brake. You’re only as fast as your brakes.

|

5/30/2018 2:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 2:36 PM

All good advice..... When I talk to a novice rider about racing.....I advise them to practice starts until you are consistently starting up front. Don't just pound lap after lap if your are having a problem with a certain section or obstacle, break it down & do drills...work on your weaknesses ....if a golfer has a poor drive, they don't go to the putting green...they go to the driving range.....find some solid riding partners to push each other.....spend a season or 2 on a 125.... Skip the bad tattoo for a fresh clutch & rear tire....ride all kinds of terrain/events.... Gncc"s, sprint enduros, moto , trials..... Make you well rounded rider. Look up & down the track, can't do nothing about what you are already hitting.....

|

5/30/2018 2:37 PM

Look towards the next obstacle. And when you’re in doubt: stand up and just pin it..

|

5/30/2018 2:39 PM

No chiqui chiqui with the girlfriend after midnight in the night before the day of riding.

|

5/30/2018 2:42 PM

Kanewel433 wrote:

Weighting the pegs, looking ahead, etc.

2 races in one.. Holeshot and you already won 1 of the races. Much easier..

|

5/30/2018 2:56 PM

Stop trying to go fast, and start trying to ride with proper technique...and go as slow as you need to, so you can ride with proper technique...eventually proper technique will become muscle memory, and then the speed will follow.

Look ahead...no...even faaaaarther ahead. There ya go.

I wish someone would have told me to stop spending money making my bike more powerful or more shiney...and spend that money on good riding schools.

And I really wish someone would have shown me this video the day I first threw a leg over a bike (even though the internet didn't exist then...):

|

5/30/2018 2:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 2:59 PM

Practice, practice, practice.... Re-ride the sections of the track you hate, not repeatedly hitting your favorite jump.

|

5/30/2018 3:07 PM

I rode strictly for fun as a beginner and pretty much none of the technique stuff mattered. I looked into them just as people do today, but in hindsight it was all really just code for "how do I magically become better than I am?". The technique stuff works better for me today, since I'm better and actually notice some things making a difference. If nothing else, I agree with the health/fitness part just because it's generally a good thing to be healthy and fit.

|

5/30/2018 3:09 PM

it's never too early to learn how to regularly check the torque on your sprocket bolts.

|

5/30/2018 3:10 PM

Point your toes in. Don't get blacked out drunk every night and try to race.

Set the bike up to be easier to ride. My full mod 250 two stroke hit hard and revved, but I couldn't hang on to it back in 2003. My current 250 2 stroke is set up easy to ride, but doesn't rev to the moon. Much easier to go faster on it and better technique helps too.

|

5/30/2018 3:19 PM

Titan1 wrote:

Stop trying to go fast, and start trying to ride with proper technique...and go as slow as you need to, so you can ride with ...more

This is great advice. Road my whole life, always trying to "go fast". Never developed enough endurance or technique to really get anywhere. And then I met a real pro and he told me- ride at a pace that lets you have perfect technique for 20 minutes, and the speed will follow. So I started trying to ride perfect for 20 min. at a time. In 6 months I was riding better than I ever had. Achieved a life long goal of going to LL's in 2015 and even finished top ten in a moto. Getting into good physical condition really facilitates this too(especially strengthening your core).

|

5/30/2018 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 3:27 PM

Be smart, ride a lot, be comfortable on the bike, look at the best, inspire yourself but always remain yourself, be honest with yourself, try to play with the bike with legs and ankles, enjoy the ride, take pleasure, Eating right, build a good shape, build a strong endurance, fall, suffer, get up and come back stronger.

|

5/30/2018 3:31 PM

Stretch the muscles after each training day.

Take a good medical kit to the circuit and know how to do the cures of blows and wounds.

|

5/30/2018 3:35 PM

I forgot one important point: Never i said NEVER bulking your forearms.

|

5/30/2018 3:59 PM

Get the right boots

|

5/30/2018 4:00 PM

peelout wrote:

it's never too early to learn how to regularly check the torque on your sprocket bolts.

Well it took longer than I thought to be posted

|