What really went down with Kenny and Honda?

9/16/2022 6:24am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 7:34am
Obviously we don’t really know, but what do you think it might be? That whole interview with James sounded fishy to me.
Poll

What happened?

Choices
|
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
9/16/2022 8:48am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 8:49am
Voted other: SprocketGate did him in.....Woohoo

9/16/2022 8:55am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 9:19am
Or, he’s telling the truth. Honda doesn’t want him to race WSX, but he wants to for the fans/himself, and at this point he’s got the money to do whatever he wants to do.

Edit: HRC’s response pretty much solidifies my take.

https://ama.hondaracingcorporation.com/report/honda-statement-on-its-of…
DonM
9/16/2022 9:05am
Or, he’s telling the truth. Honda doesn’t want him to race WSX, but he wants to for the fans/himself, and at this point he’s got the...
Or, he’s telling the truth. Honda doesn’t want him to race WSX, but he wants to for the fans/himself, and at this point he’s got the money to do whatever he wants to do.

It's more likely that to back out of the WSX contract would have probably cost him close to what Honda was offering....
SGoodman
9/16/2022 9:07am
Or, he’s telling the truth. Honda doesn’t want him to race WSX, but he wants to for the fans/himself, and at this point he’s got the...

DonM wrote:
It's more likely that to back out of the WSX contract would have probably cost him close to what Honda was offering....
Man.... I told myself I was done blowing you up...

Yet you post the dumbest sht.....

Listen to the podcast.... listen for unicorn clause...

this stuff isn't rocket science...

The Shop

DonM
9/16/2022 9:14am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 1:37pm

DonM wrote:
SGoodman wrote:
Man.... I told myself I was done blowing you up... Yet you post the dumbest sht..... Listen to the podcast.... listen for unicorn clause... this stuff...
Man.... I told myself I was done blowing you up...

Yet you post the dumbest sht.....

Listen to the podcast.... listen for unicorn clause...

this stuff isn't rocket science...
Haha!! Thanks kettle!! There is always more to the story when you listen to only one side...If the WSX promoters didn't have a penalty for Kenny using a clause pulling out they are dumber than they already look....
early
9/16/2022 9:19am

DonM wrote:
I wonder what pays better, racing WSX this fall or not racing AMA SX last spring?
9/16/2022 9:22am

Hmmm I’m not buying that.. you gonna throw away a factory ride on one of the top teams and $1M just to please the fans for 2 races? No one is doing that.. especially if he doesn’t have another offer already.
clarkgray432
9/16/2022 9:24am
Well Honda just came out and said they didn't pull his contract and he just refused it. Seemed pretty simple, race vet world sx and you're out or don't race it and you're in. Kenny pushed away a Honda contract for fans and a trip to Australia
9/16/2022 9:25am
I think WSX is just the scapegoat here. Honda wanted to be done with Ken. They have the present (Chase) and the future (Jett and Hunter). Don't forget, all Kenny did this season was bitch about the bike, skip half of SX and for the most part he was also media dark this season. A guy at his salary, if he's not getting the results then he better be kissing babies and shaking hands, and for parts of this season he was doing neither.
byke
9/16/2022 9:35am
"What really happened...."

It's so weird how many people default to something that is the exact opposite of occam's razor. The less likely it is, or the less realistic is it, or the more conspiracy that's required, then it's definitely that. Lol.
bestmx
9/16/2022 9:37am
Reading into the Honda PR release, a line that stands out to me;

"We feel it’s important to support our racing partners and to treat all of our riders the same."

Not only were Honda committing to the US series, the team sponsors, mutual agreement between Feld/ MX Sports/ all the OEMs/ teams(?), but maybe Chase/ the Lawrences were also asked to get involved with the WSX series too, but their contracts inhibited racing outside the US/ it'd be unreasonable for Honda to support all the riders?

Obviously Kens contract was up, allowing him to commit to WSX and as speculated above - he took the WSX money with the expectation Honda would give him the support he wanted. Not appreciating that from Hondas standpoint, they weren't necessarily going to be in contract with him, nor were they interested in involving themselves in the series.

Given the point both Ken/ Honda are at for next year, I hope that we see Ken back on the team after these races, as above, Honda (US team) aren't involving themselves and Kens just free to ride, then could re-sign?

But, if I'm Honda and Kenny continues to act how he is, I'm not giving the guy a contract at all. Think Ken should maybe just keep shtum, but obviously he struggles with that. So, maybe be a bit more transparent or just graceful with his words on Honda I.E:

"Honda can't support with me these three off season races I have currently committed to. However, my plan is to continue riding red and I hope to work with the team again in the future."

Madmax31
9/16/2022 10:44am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 10:46am
If I were to guess it was that Ken wanted to ride both sx and moto but honda was offering him less money and sx only as Jett is slated for 450 moto. Honda was also annoyed with the world sx thing. So Ken has been irritated which prompted him to post that photo the other day. After the wsx thing and then the pic Honda thought F this we're done.
BobbyM
9/16/2022 11:07am
Historically Honda dicked with RC and MC so why not KR?
(for you ding dongs NOT Kenny Roberts)
b8res
9/16/2022 11:46am
The chain guide photo.... wasn't a good move and lack luster performance.....
VRR7
9/16/2022 12:03pm
b8res wrote:
Yeah he really did not deliver as promised for HRC - Rather unfortunate however still factual !

Chain guide should not really have any major forces acting on it all thing considered and correctly installed. Most common cause of such is hitting something or chain slack not set correctly. None of which has to do with the manufacturer and everything to do with the rider operator and mechanic(s).

Again shows Ken real problem - Work Ethic
One lap wonder then fade - Work Ethic
Bad PR for company paying him to do PR - Work Ethic

As they say better to have a rider that has strong work ethic than talent !
kb228
9/16/2022 12:43pm
My 2 cents..

As a business you can motivate your employees with pleasure or pain. One leads them on the path of doing great things and happiness and the other drives them away to another company.

The entire thing is political. It does not hurt honda or the american series at all if ken races WSX. Sure it costs money to send a bike but in return you get more publicity and more gate drops in before the real supercross series starts.

This literally looks equivalent to a boyfriend who wont let his girlfriend go out with her friends. Complete nonsense.

In the end, kenny will bring more attention to a bike that isnt red and honda lost a good rider because of it. Lose lose. At this point bringing jett to the 450 is the only corrective action.
swe292
9/16/2022 12:51pm
kb228 wrote:
My 2 cents.. As a business you can motivate your employees with pleasure or pain. One leads them on the path of doing great things and...
My 2 cents..

As a business you can motivate your employees with pleasure or pain. One leads them on the path of doing great things and happiness and the other drives them away to another company.

The entire thing is political. It does not hurt honda or the american series at all if ken races WSX. Sure it costs money to send a bike but in return you get more publicity and more gate drops in before the real supercross series starts.

This literally looks equivalent to a boyfriend who wont let his girlfriend go out with her friends. Complete nonsense.

In the end, kenny will bring more attention to a bike that isnt red and honda lost a good rider because of it. Lose lose. At this point bringing jett to the 450 is the only corrective action.
i don't think they really lost anyone. roczen is pretty washed and he's only going to do well the first 4 races before he mails it in.
9/16/2022 12:51pm
b8res wrote:
I would think Kenny already knew the HRC deal was over when he posted that picture. As far as what a future employer might think of that picture, you are right. Not a good move, or look.

Pit Row

UpTiTe
9/16/2022 12:58pm
Magoofan wrote:
Voted other: SprocketGate did him in.....Woohoo

He posted the picture after he told Honda no. The picture is from last supercross season.
CPR
9/16/2022 3:37pm
Well Honda just came out and said they didn't pull his contract and he just refused it. Seemed pretty simple, race vet world sx and you're...
Well Honda just came out and said they didn't pull his contract and he just refused it. Seemed pretty simple, race vet world sx and you're out or don't race it and you're in. Kenny pushed away a Honda contract for fans and a trip to Australia
And there’s nothing wrong with that.
May actually turn out to be the best thing for Roczen at this stage. Time will tell.
9/16/2022 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2022 4:11pm
Whether it’s the right move or not we don’t know yet.. but no other pros post pics like that, yet I’m sure it happens all the time..
Graybeard
9/16/2022 5:19pm
My guess is Honda will not go anywhere and if Ken comes out of the WSX uninjured, they will resume talks ( unless Ken finds a different dance partner). If he gets hurt, no risk to Honda paying a yet-again injured rider.
motoxxx599
9/16/2022 5:39pm
Matthes posted a podcast with Paul P saying Honda put out a press release saying they never rescinded the offer. They think his agent may have told him the offer was taken back but apparently it never was but the he cannot race WSX because its a competitor to the AMA SX series and they are a series partner.
KurtJ99
9/16/2022 8:00pm
Imagine if Kenny was to win the two race series and Honda can’t mention it in their advertising because no contract.
luke11
9/17/2022 3:51am
Basically Honda is in bed with AMA/Feld and after them making plenty of rule changes for them over the years and it was Hondas turn to repay the favour and stop their riders doing WSX.
UpTiTe
9/17/2022 4:23am
Ken isn’t doing it for the fans, he’s doing it for money. He will make more racing 2 overseas races than he will riding the complete series here next year.

Smart play for Ken, Honda won’t sign him past supercross, he knows that, but he will get WSX money for years to come.

Richy
9/17/2022 4:49am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2022 4:51am
Other: Kenny just wanted to go to Australia.

It's his call and it's for him to do as he sees fit, but the 'Honda pulled my great contract offer' / 'I'm doing it all so I don't disappoint my fans' angles both sounded a little strange and a lot suspect.

Also, I'm generally on board for riders doing Paris or whatever else in the off season, it's cool to see, BUT, if you continually prove that you cannot push for the duration of your main contracted series, or even get past the halfway mark of one of them, then you can see why your employer may not want you taking on more races which they don't have any interest in and could further fatigue or injure you, compounding these existing issues. Plus you call the bike shit every five minutes.

Also also, yeah Honda are famously dicks but I can see where they're coming from with KR. Awesome dude, fast as anyone on a good day, pleasure to watch, but a little crazy and fairly unreliable.
mbw479
9/17/2022 5:05am
Unpopular opinion…..Ken is a high value rider capable of a win occasionally but not a championship. So, he can’t get a top dog contract on a factory team, but may get a lucrative contract from someone close to the top…..
Brad460
9/17/2022 5:10am
Kenny: “The contract Honda provided to me states I cannot race WSX” (knowing full well he committed to WSX)

Honda: “The contract we provided Kenny states he cannot race WSX” (knowing full well he committed to WSX)

They both said the same thing and so what exactly are we polling here?

The rest is semantics…

Post a reply to: What really went down with Kenny and Honda?

The Latest

The Latest