What medical supplies & tools do you carry on long rides?

Blaze45
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2014 6:53am
Up to this point, I haven't had any mechanical problems when riding (chain fell off but got it back on. Others have had issues that I have been with though) nor any medical emergencies (knock on wood).

What do you keep/carry in a pack for problems you probably will encounter in terms of mechanical issues and medical emergencies? Certain kits? Something that would be really handy if there was an issue ect.

I am wanting to put something together because I don't like being unprepared and know it is just a numbers game till one or the other happens.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
|
Mr. G
5/26/2014 5:25pm
Water, phone, knife, leatherman, smaller first aid kit and Lance Armstrong to help push.
Big Lenny
5/26/2014 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2014 5:42pm
Jet pack, flare gun, change of underwear, phone, gun, blowup doll, patches...

The Shop

5/26/2014 8:47pm
duct tape, 2 part exopy, zip ties, brake lever, spark plug and wrench. Also a small thin vice grip can double as shifter.
spare goggle lens(if get stuck out after dark). For multi day rides, 21 inch tube and irons. Thinking of a SAT phone as cell phones are pretty worthless in the back country.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/26/2014 9:19pm
I try to bring all the main tools, axel wrench, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm. Alen wrench, screw driver, zip ties, tire spoons, tubes, co2 air.

Then basic emergent medical kit.

A GPS is great to have incase someone has a mAjor accident you can report the exact location.
ridge
5/26/2014 9:45pm
Peelout pretty much rebuilt his whole motorcycle and then packed all the tools in his saddle bags for our Baja trip.

Aside from the basic tools:
21" tube
Lots of air canisters (like at least 6, but as many as you can fit)
Super glue (cuts)
Duct tape
Zip ties
Fuel line (enough to siphon with)
Clutch and brake levers, shifter
Extra chain and 2 master links
Lighter
Safety wire
Space blanket
Candy bars
Chapstick
Sunscreen
SPOT Tracker
Cresent wrench (straighten rotors)
3 headlamps
Magic marker
Tow strap
Rags
Rubber gloves
JB Weld

And I brought a spare leg and liners (optional)
mxfiend
5/26/2014 9:58pm
ridge wrote:
Peelout pretty much rebuilt his whole motorcycle and then packed all the tools in his saddle bags for our Baja trip. Aside from the basic tools...
Peelout pretty much rebuilt his whole motorcycle and then packed all the tools in his saddle bags for our Baja trip.

Aside from the basic tools:
21" tube
Lots of air canisters (like at least 6, but as many as you can fit)
Super glue (cuts)
Duct tape
Zip ties
Fuel line (enough to siphon with)
Clutch and brake levers, shifter
Extra chain and 2 master links
Lighter
Safety wire
Space blanket
Candy bars
Chapstick
Sunscreen
SPOT Tracker
Cresent wrench (straighten rotors)
3 headlamps
Magic marker
Tow strap
Rags
Rubber gloves
JB Weld

And I brought a spare leg and liners (optional)
he must have a giant loop? biggest bags i know of that baja guys buy all day.solid construction and heavy duty made in america zippers never hurt anybody either
5/26/2014 10:01pm
Basic KTM wrench kit
2 tire irons
tire patches
21 inch tube
electric pump
quart of 10w50
zip ties
duct tape
Led lamp
cellphone
JB Weld
Few inches of electric and few meter of iron wire.
ridge
5/27/2014 6:13am
mxfiend wrote:
he must have a giant loop? biggest bags i know of that baja guys buy all day.solid construction and heavy duty made in america zippers never...
he must have a giant loop? biggest bags i know of that baja guys buy all day.solid construction and heavy duty made in america zippers never hurt anybody either
No, we both bought Wolfman bags. The Giant Loop bags were priced for BMW guys or something...it was ridiculous. Plus, the Wolfman bags just look way cooler. The GL bags look like they were made for a month long donkey expedition.
ridge
5/27/2014 6:15am
Basic KTM wrench kit 2 tire irons tire patches 21 inch tube electric pump quart of 10w50 zip ties duct tape Led lamp cellphone JB Weld...
Basic KTM wrench kit
2 tire irons
tire patches
21 inch tube
electric pump
quart of 10w50
zip ties
duct tape
Led lamp
cellphone
JB Weld
What does your electric pump look like and is it battery powered or do you hook it up to the bikes battery?
5/27/2014 6:18am
I bring a bag of iv fluids and an iv start kit in case I get dehydrated before my second moto.
Xeno
5/27/2014 6:23am
Hey Ridge!- nice setup^^^^

I would like to add one thing to the lists above: a small tube of super glue, because that stuff can close a bleeding wound in an emergency.
Blaze45
5/27/2014 7:12am
Yeah I was thinking super glue as well although I don't know if you had to go into the Dr. afterwords and was like hey... I just glued myself shut to stop bleeding.. what the Dr. would say? lol
KMC440
5/27/2014 7:48am
The doctor would say ... that's what superglue was invented for.... faster than suturing with needles = more wounded seen by the doc at the med unit.
ridge
5/27/2014 8:16am
Xeno wrote:
Hey Ridge!- nice setup^^^^ I would like to add one thing to the lists above: a small tube of super glue, because that stuff can close...
Hey Ridge!- nice setup^^^^

I would like to add one thing to the lists above: a small tube of super glue, because that stuff can close a bleeding wound in an emergency.
I had super glue on my list!

Oh, for you guys (like me) who take their cell phones, check out Xeno's sweet Moto USB port kit he sells! You gotta keep that thing charged.

I use the RAM phone mount as well, although I think that it needs to be built a little more rugged.

5/29/2014 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2014 4:33pm
Basic KTM wrench kit 2 tire irons tire patches 21 inch tube electric pump quart of 10w50 zip ties duct tape Led lamp cellphone JB Weld...
Basic KTM wrench kit
2 tire irons
tire patches
21 inch tube
electric pump
quart of 10w50
zip ties
duct tape
Led lamp
cellphone
JB Weld
ridge wrote:
What does your electric pump look like and is it battery powered or do you hook it up to the bikes battery?
sorry about the late response, just seen the quote notification.

I run a slime electric pump that is powered from my battery. (this one)
Jack mehoff
5/29/2014 8:27pm
30 Oxys in case you get stuck out there for a few days make sure you zip lock them before you leave don't want to get them wet
plowboy
5/29/2014 9:16pm
Faith in Jesus and an extremely empty head. Both have served me well for 56 years.Silly
plowboy
5/29/2014 9:37pm
disbanded wrote:
Monkey butt powder
I fill my shorts before EVERY ride.
mxfiend
5/30/2014 12:29am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2014 12:30am
ridge wrote:
No, we both bought Wolfman bags. The Giant Loop bags were priced for BMW guys or something...it was ridiculous. Plus, the Wolfman bags just look way...
No, we both bought Wolfman bags. The Giant Loop bags were priced for BMW guys or something...it was ridiculous. Plus, the Wolfman bags just look way cooler. The GL bags look like they were made for a month long donkey expedition.
haha i would agree we sell the giant loops at our shop and it is mostly older guys with money that buy them and even they are a little shocked at the price. but they are def. built to last

Post a reply to: What medical supplies & tools do you carry on long rides?

The Latest