What makes a track fun

5/31/2022 8:46am
yak651 wrote:
First and foremost good dirt. I can have fun on a turn track with hood dirt. Next elevation. If you can have jumps that float you...
First and foremost good dirt. I can have fun on a turn track with hood dirt. Next elevation. If you can have jumps that float you over a crest to a down hill, super fun. Third good flow. Fun corners that blend to the next. Last jumps. Jumps that are fun for all levels and that don’t hurt or severely penalize those that aren’t willing to huck an unforgiving or huge double/triple.
Elevation sounds like your talking about Denmark. They added more up and down hills by the road. I,m digging out my beater hard pack tires.
Hammer 663s
5/31/2022 9:53am
Great dirt and a flowing layout....I'd love some elevation change at ours but that's hard to build Smile

Hammer 663
Tracktor
5/31/2022 10:25am
Physics/geometry,etc. Understanding how an MX bike works and building accordingly so that the sections flow together and mistakes aren't paid for in blood.
Jumps can be built so that everyone from beginner to pro can enjoy & be challenged on them.
Arranging obstacles so that there is an "exit strategy" if things go wrong & spacing out technical sections so rider has a chance to regroup. This allows riders to get more laps safely.
Rounded landings wit convex safety decks so shorting doesn't catch engine cases on bigger jumps.
Corners that are properly arced so multiple line choices can tie sections together.

I've always said a public tracks main goal should be having every single rider go home feeling like a hero. Obviously an impossible task but if you use that as your target tracks would have a better turnout...............

The Shop

GG121
5/31/2022 12:42pm
Elevation changes and fast sweepers, with jumps that use the landscape. Big rolling rhythm sections are fun if they are built safe. Also, features that force multiple lines are a must(inside bump on corner, etc). None of that matters though if the owner doesnt know how to maintain their dirt. A good layout is no fun if the track is squared out and hardpack by 10am. A turn track in a wet field is more fun to me than a track thats rock hard and sketchy.
Chopin
5/31/2022 12:52pm
Zaca Station was one of the best. RIP
SwingHard
5/31/2022 3:27pm
MAMMOTH! Obviously the location is amazing but it also proves you can have a great Motocross track without spending 75% of your time in the air.
5/31/2022 9:44pm
Good dirt that offers great traction, that's prepped properly and watered. That's all I care about. Jumps, no jumps, fast and wide open, or tight and technical, I don't care. The dirt and the prep is key.

Post a reply to: What makes a track fun

The Latest