What makes a good moto shop to you?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2019 7:09 AM

I recently started working at my local dealer as a part time job while I finish up school here. I used to come in here when I was 15 or 16 and would always hint that I would love to work here.

A lot of us here really know our shit, we are active in our local off road communities and ride once or twice a week, there are some here that act like they have never seen a motorcycle.

My boss is always open to hear any ideas I have, when I first started here, we had no pour in filter oil and I talked him into getting bel-ray and FFT on the shelf.

My question is, what will make you keep going back to your local dealer? I see so many posts bashing dealers but they offer no reason as to why. Any help is appreciated guys!

|

12/13/2019 7:23 AM

Knowing your shit is a good start. Most dealers near me are investor owned, and they don't know anything about the bikes, or products.
I also won't buy from a dealer with expensive set up and document fees. I usually drive at least 2 hours to buy bikes, and the big manufacturers all have 1 or 2 dealers within half an hour of my house. Everything else I buy online cheaper. I don't want to drive to the dealer twice (once to order/again to pick up) to get something and pay full retail.
Times have changed and I'm glad that I don't own a shop.

|

12/13/2019 7:27 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

I recently started working at my local dealer as a part time job while I finish up school here. I used to come in here when I was 15 or 16 and would always hint that I would love to work here.

A lot of us here really know our shit, we are active in our local off road communities and ride once or twice a week, there are some here that act like they have never seen a motorcycle.

My boss is always open to hear any ideas I have, when I first started here, we had no pour in filter oil and I talked him into getting bel-ray and FFT on the shelf.

My question is, what will make you keep going back to your local dealer? I see so many posts bashing dealers but they offer no reason as to why. Any help is appreciated guys!

Stock parts, competitive prices with online, customer service. 3 things to start.

|

12/13/2019 7:27 AM

mikec265 wrote:

Knowing your shit is a good start. Most dealers near me are investor owned, and they don't know anything about the bikes, or products.
I also won't buy from a dealer with expensive set up and document fees. I usually drive at least 2 hours to buy bikes, and the big manufacturers all have 1 or 2 dealers within half an hour of my house. Everything else I buy online cheaper. I don't want to drive to the dealer twice (once to order/again to pick up) to get something and pay full retail.
Times have changed and I'm glad that I don't own a shop.

I definitely agree with you on that. Some of the people here are often more clueless about bikes than the customers. Most of us are pretty good, and we have someone who is well versed in almost every kind of riding discipline, but itt takes one bad apple.

|

12/13/2019 7:57 AM

It’s all about the “relationship” you can build with your customers. I’m always looking forward to going into my local shop because A I know most of the people in there know what the hell their talking about and B they treat me and other regulars very well. The salesmen are great people to BS with and the owner is often around making a point to meet the customers and actually Seems to care about the sport.

In contrast, the shop acrossed the river seems to not even care about their customers and seem to have 0 interest in the dirtbike people. The typical powersports shop franchise.

|

12/13/2019 8:18 AM

I still buy gear and parts from my dealer, the oem parts come in within 2 days minimum most times. After you buy a bike from a dealer, they should be selling you gear or parts lower then online pricing.
If you dont buy a bike from them, maybe dont expect the best price. For ex: our first bike in 05 got us 15% off anything, next year my 06 bike got us to 20% off. My 07 bike got us 25% off for everything. Every year we dont buy a new bike it would go down 5%.
I remember that 05 250f locked up and the honda service center wanted to rebuild the full bottom end.
I took the bike down to pro circuit for a 2nd opinion, they called me 2 hours later saying its ready for pick up. It was just the decomp weight/ spring on the cam!
So maybe the local dealer could address this issue better. 1/2 my friends sold there moto bikes when they realized a $1000+ could be in there future.
How about a prepaid service schedule ?

|

12/13/2019 8:25 AM

A race shop needs to stock what racers use and need. Ie high end helmets and high end boots and be willing to flex on price to match online competition. Good goggles, tear offs, chains ect. Seems like every dealer wants to peddle the cheap crap that we will never use, if a dealer has to order it. We might as well go online and order it ourselves.

|

12/13/2019 8:30 AM

1. Knowhow
2. Customer service
3. Reasonable prices

The first two parts are so, so important. A dealer without knowhow and good customer service will never attract me as a consumer, even if they would be cheap.

|

12/13/2019 8:34 AM

Reward loyal customers. Not once a year customers

|

12/13/2019 8:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2019 8:40 AM

Crusty’s on repeat behind the parts counter

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

12/13/2019 8:40 AM

racerx217 wrote:

A race shop needs to stock what racers use and need. Ie high end helmets and high end boots and be willing to flex on price to match online competition. Good goggles, tear offs, chains ect. Seems like every dealer wants to peddle the cheap crap that we will never use, if a dealer has to order it. We might as well go online and order it ourselves.

True dat! Drives me insane when I walk into a dealer and say something like, "I need a countershaft sprocket for a [insert very recent bike they sell]." And they say they'd have to order it.

Also if I can't go in and try on many different helmet or boots sizes to make a decision, then why the hell wouldn't I buy online? I get that inventory costs tons of money, but really have to spend money to really make money.

P.S. First post on Vital. Howdy Vitards!

|

12/13/2019 8:46 AM

Carstensen14 wrote:

I still buy gear and parts from my dealer, the oem parts come in within 2 days minimum most times. After you buy a bike from a dealer, they should be selling you gear or parts lower then online pricing.
If you dont buy a bike from them, maybe dont expect the best price. For ex: our first bike in 05 got us 15% off anything, next year my 06 bike got us to 20% off. My 07 bike got us 25% off for everything. Every year we dont buy a new bike it would go down 5%.
I remember that 05 250f locked up and the honda service center wanted to rebuild the full bottom end.
I took the bike down to pro circuit for a 2nd opinion, they called me 2 hours later saying its ready for pick up. It was just the decomp weight/ spring on the cam!
So maybe the local dealer could address this issue better. 1/2 my friends sold there moto bikes when they realized a $1000+ could be in there future.
How about a prepaid service schedule ?

Yeah we do similar with discounting products for customers who buy bikes from us, I often hear about people moaning about how ordering things to a dealer takes forever but from any supplier/make takes a maximum of five days unless the item is on backorder.

|

12/13/2019 8:48 AM

racerx217 wrote:

I agree with you 100%, we used to stock your basic sub $200 helmets but have made some new connections and should have some higher end helmets in our stock soon which will be nice. I do not like selling people these cheaper helmets and try my best to explain that a higher end helmet can really save your ass.

|

12/13/2019 8:49 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

Stock parts, competitive prices with online, customer service. 3 things to start.

I will gladly match online prices as long as it doesn't go under my cost.

|

12/13/2019 9:08 AM

Give the time of day to the customer.

I can not even begin to tell you how many shops just seem to have “given up” as they feel everyone is just going to go online......if someone is in your shop, they are there for a reason. Could the be just trying stuff on? 100%, but if you take the time, it’s not that hard to offer to match, or at least come close to the price they see on line. And you can offer something the .com’s can’t, which is allow the customer to walk out right then and there with a brand new X,Y, or z!

Years ago I worked front end parts counter at a very large Toyota dealership in southern ca.....5-10x a day people would walk up, ask for a quote with a list of parts and part #s, and try to walk out.
My play was always just ask them point blank if they were going to buy online through a .com OEM website. More often then not, they would say yes, and at that point I would flip my monitor around and I would start price shopping WITH THEM. It was immediately disarming to the perspective client, and as long as I could make cost + 10, I would offer to price match......
The way I justified it to my bosses was while we’re loosing a good amount of profit, we still made the sale. Did they want 100% of zero, or 10% of legit profit?.

Anyways, I hope that wasn’t terribly boring to read, I just really appreciate when dealers actually try, and if I can share how my company was successful in combating .coms, I try too.

And for what it’s worth, the fact you are asking how to get better let’s me know you’re ahead of 99% of other shops already!

|

shit'll buff out

12/13/2019 9:14 AM

moscrop940 wrote:

Give the time of day to the customer.

I can not even begin to tell you how many shops just seem to have “given up” as they feel everyone is just going to go online......if someone is in your shop, they are there for a reason. Could the be just trying stuff on? 100%, but if you take the time, it’s not that hard to offer to match, or at least come close to the price they see on line. And you can offer something the .com’s can’t, which is allow the customer to walk out right then and there with a brand new X,Y, or z!

Years ago I worked front end parts counter at a very large Toyota dealership in southern ca.....5-10x a day people would walk up, ask for a quote with a list of parts and part #s, and try to walk out.
My play was always just ask them point blank if they were going to buy online through a .com OEM website. More often then not, they would say yes, and at that point I would flip my monitor around and I would start price shopping WITH THEM. It was immediately disarming to the perspective client, and as long as I could make cost + 10, I would offer to price match......
The way I justified it to my bosses was while we’re loosing a good amount of profit, we still made the sale. Did they want 100% of zero, or 10% of legit profit?.

Anyways, I hope that wasn’t terribly boring to read, I just really appreciate when dealers actually try, and if I can share how my company was successful in combating .coms, I try too.

And for what it’s worth, the fact you are asking how to get better let’s me know you’re ahead of 99% of other shops already!

Thanks for the reply. Good knowledge to have man.

|

12/13/2019 9:22 AM

Don't be a No It All

Urgency

|

12/13/2019 9:25 AM

I don't even know any more, I have not been to a good shop in 30 years.

|

12/13/2019 9:28 AM

Customer service
Customer service
Customer service
Customer service

Have worked at a few dealerships over the years (back in the day) and that seemed to always be the weak spot. Don't act like you are doing the customer a favor by being open. They are doing you a favor by walking in the door. TJ's here in town figured this out a long time ago and they are the go to if i need anything.

|

12/13/2019 9:30 AM

Motox627! wrote:

Customer service
Customer service
Customer service
Customer service

Have worked at a few dealerships over the years (back in the day) and that seemed to always be the weak spot. Don't act like you are doing the customer a favor by being open. They are doing you a favor by walking in the door. TJ's here in town figured this out a long time ago and they are the go to if i need anything.

Yep, been there several times. Wish I lived close enough to utilize their resources.

|

12/13/2019 9:30 AM

Be friendly
Be knowledgeable
STOCK PARTS!!! Even something as stupid as main and pilot jets

For me you don't need to be the same price as online stores, but be close. If an air filter cost me $4 more from you vs RM, but you have it in the store then I will gladly spend that extra $4 with you. If you don't have it and tell me you can get it in 2 days and you're $4, I'll order it online because I can have it shipped directly to my house or work and save myself the time to drive to and from the shop. I have no problem paying a few bucks more for something at a shop if they have it in stock and they are a friendly bunch.

As far as knowledgeable goes- There is nothing more frustrating than taking the time to look up correct part numbers, calling a shop with said part numbers, being told they don't have them, calling back a couple minutes later to talk to the same guy with just a description of the part and having him look up the part number to turn around and tell you they have it. Happened to me way too many times and it gets more frustrating every time.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

12/13/2019 9:39 AM

I would love to see a dealer who refuses to charge additional fees on top of MSRP. They could go into the negotiations saying, "Mr. customer, I'm not going to charge you $999 in 'freight and setup' on this bike, like other dealers do. That means that you won't be getting a $1,000 'discount' on this motorcycle and then feel like you saved money when you did not. Let's talk about a true $100 discount instead, and you will pay the same or lower price in the end."
I would appreciate that honesty, and I bet a lot of buyers would too.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/13/2019 9:41 AM

Sell stuff at same price I can buy online. I walk into my dealer religiously once every two years to pick up a new bike. I write a check, say thanks and tell them I'll see them again in 2 years. I can't imagine going to a dealer to do anything but pick up new bike(s). In 49 years of riding I've never been to a dealer for anything else. I find it interesting that people will take a bike to a dealer to mechanical work or to buy stuff that can be bought much cheaper online and you also get it delivered quicker than dealer can source what you need.

|

12/13/2019 9:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2019 9:54 AM

O&GDriller wrote:

Sell stuff at same price I can buy online. I walk into my dealer religiously once every two years to pick up a new bike. I write a check, say thanks and tell them I'll see them again in 2 years. I can't imagine going to a dealer to do anything but pick up new bike(s). In 49 years of riding I've never been to a dealer for anything else. I find it interesting that people will take a bike to a dealer to mechanical work or to buy stuff that can be bought much cheaper online and you also get it delivered quicker than dealer can source what you need.

Tell me more about how you ordered parts online 49 years ago.

|

12/13/2019 9:53 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

Yeah we do similar with discounting products for customers who buy bikes from us, I often hear about people moaning about how ordering things to a dealer takes forever but from any supplier/make takes a maximum of five days unless the item is on backorder.

I worked at a shop as well, so I will give some input taking in consideration of cost to stock parts especially if the store sells multiple manufacturers.

Of course, I person who bought a bike should get a discount but does that mean they will come back, NO. So, give the customer the first Oil/Filter change kit for free at time of purchase as a thank you gift and maybe a hat or shirt (depending on cost) and then treat as any other with discounts to build that repeat business.

Stock a couple brands of maintenance products and Goggle lines, look into stocking non-distributed brands, I think deft family and even FXR gear would be a good company now that they carry a 6D line of helmet. A good selection of helmets and boots will be very expensive, so choose a couple and stock wisely on size and color way.

It will definitely take some time to build up repeat business but in time you will know what to stock the most of and listen to what customers are asking for and how often.

A lot times, Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited will give you a heads up on what is going on sale, so maybe send out and email letting customers know and take orders.

|

Thanks for your Support
BBTMX, Bell, Gaerne, 100%, Mobius, FXR, Pirelli, ProTaper, Torc1, Yoshimura, Beck's Tech Suspension and Tuning

12/13/2019 10:10 AM

Stock freakn something!!!! I have local shops that don't even have one set of grips.... Stock the freakn essentials for Christ sakes

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

Falcon wrote:

I would love to see a dealer who refuses to charge additional fees on top of MSRP. They could go into the negotiations saying, "Mr. customer, I'm not going to charge you $999 in 'freight and setup' on this bike, like other dealers do. That means that you won't be getting a $1,000 'discount' on this motorcycle and then feel like you saved money when you did not. Let's talk about a true $100 discount instead, and you will pay the same or lower price in the end."
I would appreciate that honesty, and I bet a lot of buyers would too.

I couldn't agree more with this. I work in sales, so I do my best to not give another sales guy a hard time. I've said bluntly, "Listen, you deserve to make some money - I'm not looking for the deal of the century, I just want a fair deal." It annoys the shit out of me when I see a bike listed for $XX on the showroom floor or website, but the OTD price is $2000 more. Just list it for $2,000 more if that's what you need to make - don't bait and switch me with all of these BS fees.

So to the point of the thread, honesty goes a long way. Knowledge is next. After about a 10 year hiatus from moto, I got back into things in 2016. I was looking at RM-Z 250s, and at the time I had the option of a leftover 2015 or a new 2016. I asked the salesperson, what am I missing out on the 2016 if I go with the 2015. The salesperson said, "Nothing". This is pretty funny in retrospect because of the long standing joke Suzuki's haven't changed since 2008. HOWEVER, 2016 was the year they switched from a Showa spring fork to the shitty Kayaba air forks. I dodged that bullet unknowingly by buying a 2015, but it would have been nice for the salesperson to elaborate on this major detail, along with the 80 other changes the 2016 endured that year.

|

Two wheels, tacos, and tubes

Parts in stock

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

12/13/2019 10:20 AM

Open
Instock
Knowledge

|

12/13/2019 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2019 3:59 PM

I think an assumption that a lot of people are making is that the dealer is able to buy items, (helmets, boots, grips, tires, etc) at the same price as an online mega store. That isn't going to happen. A shop closed in Ohio about a month ago and the manager stated on another forum that the tire prices the online guys would SELL at were below his cost!

|

"Hope is not a strategy"