What makes a good "Vet Track" ?

Motodave15
Edited Date/Time 8/9/2022 9:53am
- This thread is not for the main track weekend pros Grinning -

So me personally im at this weird so.cal crossroad. Like I partially like Perris Mx vet track but it can feel small.
I Don't care for LACR's vet track as it feels highspeed and pretty big jumps.
Lake elsinore's vet track leaves alot to desire and their jump faces are stupid steep, and their IV track is close to being extremely good, but could use changes.

- I havent ridden pala or barona or cahuilla.
======================

- With the above stated, What track has great flow out here in so.cal?
I legit miss the track builders of statefair mx/ old perris / Milestone
I legit miss the intermediate track and Vet track that comp edge had.
even racetown 395's vet was a great mix of fun and speed.
======================

- What makes a great vet track to everyone who rides them?
|
TahoeVetMX
8/7/2022 7:27pm
Valid question and all of the points you make are correct. Milestone did have a good vet track. Cahuilla has the best in my opinion these days. They do have good flow, but the turns could use some ruts. Fox Raceway is a bit tight right now. I would say flow of the vet track is everything. Triple step over type of jumps are nice because riders can work up to the full jump. I would like to see some rollers and even 3 step dragons back type of jump. Not the whoop type but more of the roller step type that is forgiving but fun. Come to think of Pala mx used to have an amateur track that was fun as it was in-between the main track level and the vet track level. It felt like a main track with smaller jumps.
brocster
8/7/2022 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2022 7:36pm
Haven’t been to the new Perris but loved the old vet track on my lil ole 125, but yeah kinda small.

Help me out with Elsinore. I have ridden the track that is to the left when you are on the driveway going in and I have also ridden the track that is straight ahead when at the pay booth and not sure of the names of each and I have been hearing of the IV track. Which one is it?

I ride Pala vet mostly, it is always fun and they change it somewhat regularly. Bigger/longer than Perris vet

I wish Cahuilla was closer so I could ride it more but their vet track is fun as well. Bigger/longer than Perris vet.

Crossroad has been made up for me by dropping to a 125 after a bad accident on a 450. Main tracks
are a lil much for me on my lil scoot so I am a vet track assassin til the wheels fall off.

Sorry I didn’t answer you question exactly. To me it’s the flow that means most especially on a 125.
hubbardmx50
8/7/2022 8:09pm
Pala Vet and Elsinore IV are probably the best vet oriented tracks in SoCal. Only been to barona once and it was really fun as well and quite mellow compared to the other tracks around here. If you hate blind jumps and want a more natural style track Glen Helen is awesome.
hubbardmx50
8/7/2022 8:10pm
brocster wrote:
Haven’t been to the new Perris but loved the old vet track on my lil ole 125, but yeah kinda small. Help me out with Elsinore...
Haven’t been to the new Perris but loved the old vet track on my lil ole 125, but yeah kinda small.

Help me out with Elsinore. I have ridden the track that is to the left when you are on the driveway going in and I have also ridden the track that is straight ahead when at the pay booth and not sure of the names of each and I have been hearing of the IV track. Which one is it?

I ride Pala vet mostly, it is always fun and they change it somewhat regularly. Bigger/longer than Perris vet

I wish Cahuilla was closer so I could ride it more but their vet track is fun as well. Bigger/longer than Perris vet.

Crossroad has been made up for me by dropping to a 125 after a bad accident on a 450. Main tracks
are a lil much for me on my lil scoot so I am a vet track assassin til the wheels fall off.

Sorry I didn’t answer you question exactly. To me it’s the flow that means most especially on a 125.
IV track at Elsinore is the one to the left as you're pulling in. I rode it today. Layout has been the same for awhile but it's super fun in my opinion.

The Shop

McG194
8/7/2022 8:19pm
The three most important thing for a vet track:

1) Safe jumps
2) Safe jumps
3) Safe jumps
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/7/2022 8:48pm
We seem to be in this weird spot where some of the mains are too much if you’re not a fast intermediate/pro and the vets are nowhere near enough. Some tracks are pretty good with both and others have a huge gap between the two. It’s a weird deal.
Darrin Willis
8/7/2022 10:06pm
Im not a so cal guy but have ridden down there a few times. I alway thought the main track at cuhailla as a great vet track.I really did not like there actual vet track. I also liked the vet track at pala.
Kawboy14!
8/7/2022 10:31pm
McG194 wrote:

1) Safe jumps
2) Safe jumps
3) Safe jumps
AND completely groomed in between each moto 😂
Bobby Skeet
8/7/2022 10:34pm
For me it's Glen Helen followed by LACR. I rode Lake Elsinore this week and didn't care for it. I didn't care for the Steep jump faces. I've heard really good thing about Cahuilla, can't wait to try that track. Back in the day Milestone and Comp were always a favorite. I wish we had all these choices. The tracks out here in Vegas just really blow.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
8/7/2022 10:53pm
brocster wrote:
Haven’t been to the new Perris but loved the old vet track on my lil ole 125, but yeah kinda small. Help me out with Elsinore...

I feel like the main track at Fox is very ridable at the moment as long as you don't do all of the jumps.
I also ride a 125 (YZ) #446. Say Hi next time you're out. I usually ride Saturdays.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
8/7/2022 10:59pm
The Fox Vet track flows pretty well, and there aren't many jumps you can get in trouble with.
I usually ride the main track, and just do the jumps I feel comfortable with.

Both tracks at Cahuilla are Vet friendly. They both have jumps I don't do (yet), but they're fun, and not too intense.

Barona hasn't had a Vet track for a long while. The main track flows well, and you can do the jumps you feel comfortable. There are a couple I'm not doing.

The finish line jump is the biggest and can launch you pretty far if you go for it, but it seems hard to mess it up no matter how I hit it.

I can't wait to try Glen Helen. I never considered it to be Vet friendly. We'll find out!
FWYT
8/7/2022 11:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 7:27am
Glen Helen (main track) is a great vet track . . . IF you could actually ride it with vets and not
have to try and mix it up with pros blazing by.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
8/7/2022 11:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2022 11:22pm
FWYT wrote:
Glen Helen (main track) is a great vet track . . . [b] IF[/b] you could actually ride it with vets and not have to try...
Glen Helen (main track) is a great vet track . . . IF you could actually ride it with vets and not
have to try and mix it up with pros blazing by.
OTMX is on the GH vet track once and GH main 3 more times this year. Long moto's, and usually short days. They're good about keeping fast guys in the right class
https://socalotmx.org/race-info
mxracer828
8/8/2022 3:09am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 3:09am
Glen helen had always been my favorite track,then cahuilla but I think that place with built on some sacred Indian burial ground. Everytime I’m there the heli is picking someone up.I’m going to date my self but that track in Victorville back in the day right off the fwy was super fun,just a bit of a drive
wydopen
8/8/2022 4:23am
Cahuilla vet track is the best..at least last time I was there before they reversed it. Big and flowy with safe jumps. LACR is fun because it’s fast and there’s some decent jumps. They are all easy.
8/8/2022 4:33am
McG194 wrote:

1) Safe jumps
2) Safe jumps
3) Safe jumps
And good dirt.
Richy
8/8/2022 5:19am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 9:47am
Same deal as a novice/junior practice, what you really need is guys with their name/number on their shirt and a custom painted helmet doing Mach 10, before racing B Class next weekend, so they can show their girlfriend or their random buddy how fast they are while going past the old dudes and beginners just riding for fun 👌

Over here, Vet tracks aren't really a thing, however most of the older guys I know prefer the natural terrain tracks as you'd expect. If you're gonna have doubles / rhythms then keep them civil and not peaky, personally I need to go to work on Monday and any minor skill I had was left in the early 00's, so I want to be able to opt out of stuff and have it rollable or to separate the obstacles I'm too slow to clear in one.
hubbardmx50
8/8/2022 7:01am
McG194 wrote:

1) Safe jumps
2) Safe jumps
3) Safe jumps
And good dirt.
Doesn't exist in Socal. We ride on concrete because it's all we have
sandtrack315
8/8/2022 7:07am
Jump take offs that are not super steep or have short transitions.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
8/8/2022 7:12am
I always figured racing is safer than practicing if your a ""Vet" 30 + guy.
sdmx
Fantasy
1664th
8/8/2022 9:09am
Cahuilla vet track is great. Flows well, some natural elevation, and none of the jumps are crazy. I can ride that track longer than most.
chasetwo79
8/8/2022 9:20am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 8:11pm
A public track can make a track safe and fun for every rider from beginner to Pro. I never ride a vet track, am 39, and a former pro and I never once have been to a track and thought “this needs to be a double or a triple instead of a big ass tabletop”.

Promoters have a misconception of what fast guys want or need and it causes things like splitting up good land into two below average tracks when in reality it would be much better to combine the land and have 1 much longer track and just do more diligence on splitting up practice by speeds.

This would solve the problem of a better, safer track for the slower riders and spread out the riders in the faster practices because California tracks (besides GH, Hangtown, and maybe Pala” are notoriously small with low lap times.
8/8/2022 9:39am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2022 9:41am
wydopen wrote:
Cahuilla vet track is the best..at least last time I was there before they reversed it. Big and flowy with safe jumps. LACR is fun because...
Cahuilla vet track is the best..at least last time I was there before they reversed it. Big and flowy with safe jumps. LACR is fun because it’s fast and there’s some decent jumps. They are all easy.
The Cahuilla vet track sucks now. Jumps are way too big and some are not tables but carved out pseudo-doubles. There's a 75' step-up double. I don't know what they're thinking to be honest. The rest of the track is great but some of the jumps are too big for a vet track in my opinion.

Pala used to have the best vet track. Haven't been in awhile so not sure if it's changed.
gharmon
8/8/2022 11:50am
Motodave15 wrote:
- This thread is not for the main track weekend pros :lol: - So me personally im at this weird so.cal crossroad. Like I partially like...
- This thread is not for the main track weekend pros Grinning -

So me personally im at this weird so.cal crossroad. Like I partially like Perris Mx vet track but it can feel small.
I Don't care for LACR's vet track as it feels highspeed and pretty big jumps.
Lake elsinore's vet track leaves alot to desire and their jump faces are stupid steep, and their IV track is close to being extremely good, but could use changes.

- I havent ridden pala or barona or cahuilla.
======================

- With the above stated, What track has great flow out here in so.cal?
I legit miss the track builders of statefair mx/ old perris / Milestone
I legit miss the intermediate track and Vet track that comp edge had.
even racetown 395's vet was a great mix of fun and speed.
======================

- What makes a great vet track to everyone who rides them?
We came out and did the motocross holiday thingy. We rode at cahuilla and perris. My grandson and I (his first time riding a big bike ,normally super mini) both liked the vet track at cahuilla a lot. At perris he liked the main track and hated the vet track. I thought the perris track was smallish and tight as well. I did like their main track but im not jumping all that big shit..
I was working in Arizona for quite a bit and the vet track at ACP was really good for me. I have not ridden an other California tracks but i liked the cahuilla creek vet track the most!!
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
8/8/2022 12:05pm
gharmon wrote:
We came out and did the motocross holiday thingy. We rode at cahuilla and perris. My grandson and I (his first time riding a big bike...
We came out and did the motocross holiday thingy. We rode at cahuilla and perris. My grandson and I (his first time riding a big bike ,normally super mini) both liked the vet track at cahuilla a lot. At perris he liked the main track and hated the vet track. I thought the perris track was smallish and tight as well. I did like their main track but im not jumping all that big shit..
I was working in Arizona for quite a bit and the vet track at ACP was really good for me. I have not ridden an other California tracks but i liked the cahuilla creek vet track the most!!
I rode ACP vet track this winter and it is fantastic!!

Best thing that makes a vet track good is safety and vet type riders. Jumps are good as long as safe and doable, rider safety is key.
Parks65
8/8/2022 7:19pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
We seem to be in this weird spot where some of the mains are too much if you’re not a fast intermediate/pro and the vets are...
We seem to be in this weird spot where some of the mains are too much if you’re not a fast intermediate/pro and the vets are nowhere near enough. Some tracks are pretty good with both and others have a huge gap between the two. It’s a weird deal.
YEP, this is the issue at our local track Skyline park. Great place to ride but the main track is too much for some of the vets/beginners and the vet track is mostly natural with ONE tabletop. They don't want to rip the Vet track because they say the old guys complain when they do. That to me seems nuts.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/9/2022 9:53am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
We seem to be in this weird spot where some of the mains are too much if you’re not a fast intermediate/pro and the vets are...
Parks65 wrote:
YEP, this is the issue at our local track Skyline park. Great place to ride but the main track is too much for some of the...
YEP, this is the issue at our local track Skyline park. Great place to ride but the main track is too much for some of the vets/beginners and the vet track is mostly natural with ONE tabletop. They don't want to rip the Vet track because they say the old guys complain when they do. That to me seems nuts.
We’ve been having the same issue here with some tracks. LACR is the main one. We’ve talked to them about ripping the track deeper to get some ruts and actually develop something more than limited chop, but their response was that the regular guys don’t like it and don’t come out when it’s ripped so they don’t bother. I’m not usually a fan of going there with anything, but a lot of this sport really is going soft. Flat freeways with some jumps and bowl corners seems to be most commonly wanted style of tracks now and I hate it. Give me blue groove with square edges everywhere or soft deep ripped tracks with ruts and massive breaking bumps all day long. I lean way more towards desert tracks now when I can ride because I have more fun and really feel that I improve more as a rider riding those types of tracks.

Post a reply to: What makes a good "Vet Track" ?

The Latest