What keeps me up at night. (Local racing in the south east)

bh
Sitting here deciding whether or not I want to go race the local mx race at catheys creek mx this weekend or go race gncc. Wanting to figure out how many people raced last year I decided to look up the results not remembering how many people were there the last time I raced at catheys creek mx. I was horrified. Basically every class except for 2 or 3 of the c and d classes were non existent with 2-4 riders per class. Then I proceeded to go and look at another local promoters turnouts (moto vated sports) and they were even worse. That is when it occurred to me why on earth would I go spend 120 bucks to practice Saturday, race 2-3 classes, race against single digit amounts of riders, and get less than an hour of seat time. When I could go race hundreds of people, get 2 hours of seat time, and be there no longer than 4-5 hours for $80 at the national level and $60 at the local level.

What I believe local racing needs to succeed is more riding time, more racing, and less waiting around. Where they go wrong is having a gate drop and a race for 1-2 classes, whereas in off-road there are 3 races in one day and about 30 classes race. I believe the same basic idea of everyone having a designated time in the day to race could be applied to moto.

Here is the format I have come up with. With the big bike classes being split into lites and open.

8:00-8:20 big bike open practice (basically to break in the track)
8:25-8:40 85 practice
8:45-9:00 65 practice
9:05-9:20 50 practice
9:25-9:40 85 moto 1
9:45-10:00 65 moto 1
10:05-10:20 50 moto 1
10:25-10:40 85 moto 2
10:45-11:00 65 moto 2
11:05-11:20 50 moto 2
Intermission / track prep
12:00-12:15 C practice
12:20-12:25 B practice
12:30-12:45 A practice
12:50-1:10 C moto 1
1:15-1:35 B moto 1
1:40-2:00 A moto 1
2:05-2:25 C moto 2
2:30-2:50 B moto 2
2:55-3:15 A moto 2

Now I’m not saying this is the end all be all, what I’m trying to say is that in order for local racing to survive (in the south east) there needs to be change. There is a reason why even the worst off-road events will have 200 entries and it’s not that the woods are more fun than the track. It’s the structure, seat time, time spent not sitting around and waiting, and fun racing. My goal in saying this is to get some opinions and send this over to my local promoters because something must change.

|
ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
3/10/2020 3:13am
The expense, long day and lack of seat time are the death of MX. These days people want more bang for their buck. Moto has been dying a slow death for years. I’d much rather go to an Offroad event, as it seems you plan to do.
downard254
3/10/2020 3:39am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 3:45am
Life was so much better and simpler when there were less classes. But you could see the movement starting in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Every age group and riding ability had to have their own class so a trophy could be won. I used to just love racing against a full gate. And have extra laps since we weren’t trying to jam 40 classes into a one day schedule.

I can remember racing at Honda Hills in Ohio back in the mid 80’s and Dick Klamfoth making a C class for the 125 riders (not sure an official C class existed yet as no other tracks had one). He didn’t start a C class because rides complaining about differences in skill level, but because he had enough riders signed up in 125B to fill (2) full starting gates. Some guys even had to start behind the front row as there wasn’t room on the front line.
zippytech
3/10/2020 4:22am
That is why I quit really racing mx 20 years ago.. leave at 5:30am get home at 9pm. The GP style races are fun show up 10 minutes before the time group you want to be in, sign up race and go home.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
3/10/2020 4:26am
With just a quick look using the current age groups, your running kids back to back races, because there is over lap in age groups in the young ages. 50 4-8 and 65 7-11. On top of that the pw kids need their own class. Yes there are a few that will do 50 open currently on a pw but very few at the races we attend. The speed difference between a pw50 and a fast 50sr is asking for disaster. At big Ohio races the pw's and oil injected run with the quad's on saturday after morning practice. I think that works out well.

The Shop

duckdog77
3/10/2020 7:38am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 7:40am
I only race Off-road due to this.

I’d attend a few Mx races a year if a promoter had a big bike night wouldn’t matter. Race the little bikes in the morning, big bikes at night (if a lighted track) Not all the time but just a couple times a season. I’d put it on my calendar along with my off-road races for the season.
dedi684
3/10/2020 7:43am
Sitting here in the northeast thinking the same damn thing. Seasons starting and im here like why would i even do that to myself again. 3 laps of practice and two 4 lap motos if im lucky.
brocster
3/10/2020 8:23am
With just a quick look using the current age groups, your running kids back to back races, because there is over lap in age groups in...
With just a quick look using the current age groups, your running kids back to back races, because there is over lap in age groups in the young ages. 50 4-8 and 65 7-11. On top of that the pw kids need their own class. Yes there are a few that will do 50 open currently on a pw but very few at the races we attend. The speed difference between a pw50 and a fast 50sr is asking for disaster. At big Ohio races the pw's and oil injected run with the quad's on saturday after morning practice. I think that works out well.
Just because its available doesn’t mean you have to race both. Either race the 50 or race the 65. To me if your kid can race a 65 a 50 is no longer needed but if you want to race both, its on you (uh hm son) to race back to back.

If you complain its back to back and move the class, you get what you want but cause a problem for someone else’s class structure. It never ends...
tkimb
3/10/2020 8:49am
Run into people all the time that basically follow MX events or series, just for practice days. Cheaper with way more riding time. Even when it's a structured each class gets a time on the track it's way better let alone the few that are anyone on the track whenever they want.

All day for maybe an hour riding vs half a day for several hours. Unlucky enough to get your moto near the end of the schedule or the unfortunate event of someone getting hurt, seen what's supposed to be done mid afternoon go until sunset.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/10/2020 8:57am
With just a quick look using the current age groups, your running kids back to back races, because there is over lap in age groups in...
brocster wrote:
Just because its available doesn’t mean you have to race both. Either race the 50 or race the 65. To me if your kid can race...
Just because its available doesn’t mean you have to race both. Either race the 50 or race the 65. To me if your kid can race a 65 a 50 is no longer needed but if you want to race both, its on you (uh hm son) to race back to back.

If you complain its back to back and move the class, you get what you want but cause a problem for someone else’s class structure. It never ends...
Agreed. Never really understood riding both. A friend of mine has his kid on a 65, a cobra 50 and an xr50 and races all 3 in the same day. First, the prep and maintenance would kill me time wise, but I just don’t understand it. The kids get used to the power of the 65, then drop to the 50 and look for that same power trying to do things they did on the 65 and sometimes it doesn’t end well. I hate seeing that happen
zippytech
3/10/2020 9:01am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 9:03am
dedi684 wrote:
Sitting here in the northeast thinking the same damn thing. Seasons starting and im here like why would i even do that to myself again. 3...
Sitting here in the northeast thinking the same damn thing. Seasons starting and im here like why would i even do that to myself again. 3 laps of practice and two 4 lap motos if im lucky.
But hey, almost everyone can get trophy. While we waste a complete day sitting in a chair instead of sitting on a bike.
ElliotB16
3/10/2020 9:02am
I know it cost more but I always run 3 classes. I would be bored out of my mind only racing 1 in a day
bvm111
3/10/2020 9:12am
What’s a “lites” ?
Johnny Depp
3/10/2020 9:21am
It's cool you guys race. But it starts with mini's, everybody wants special treatment. When does it end?
Johnny Depp
3/10/2020 9:24am
ElliotB16 wrote:
I know it cost more but I always run 3 classes. I would be bored out of my mind only racing 1 in a day
What length of Moto are you (or most in amateur MX) willing to endure to get that longer seat time?

What about 1 longer Moto to keep the show quicker?
TxGuy
3/10/2020 9:58am
downard254 wrote:
Life was so much better and simpler when there were less classes. But you could see the movement starting in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Every age...
Life was so much better and simpler when there were less classes. But you could see the movement starting in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Every age group and riding ability had to have their own class so a trophy could be won. I used to just love racing against a full gate. And have extra laps since we weren’t trying to jam 40 classes into a one day schedule.

I can remember racing at Honda Hills in Ohio back in the mid 80’s and Dick Klamfoth making a C class for the 125 riders (not sure an official C class existed yet as no other tracks had one). He didn’t start a C class because rides complaining about differences in skill level, but because he had enough riders signed up in 125B to fill (2) full starting gates. Some guys even had to start behind the front row as there wasn’t room on the front line.
i didn't follow the sport from about '90-'97.

When I dropped out, the classes were:

And that was it. I suppose there was a modified class for 50, and a EXPERT class for 250...but it was pretty simple. I remain completely confused about all the classes today. My kid aren't into moto, but if they were, I would be very intimidated...and if this moto-dad is intimidated....then I promise you that others are as well.
bh
3/10/2020 10:22am
bvm111 wrote:
What’s a “lites” ?
Small bikes, 125/250f.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
3/10/2020 11:01am
brocster wrote:
Just because its available doesn’t mean you have to race both. Either race the 50 or race the 65. To me if your kid can race...

I can't argue that he could move up, but realistically his I dont think he or most kids have the size to move to a 65 at 7 years old full time. yet alone get enjoyment out of racing against 12 year olds at age 7.

Also while I dont mind the down time, most of the time I dont want to travel to a race for 2 10min motos. Being able to do 4-6 motos with more down time is more worth it to me. That said most of his classes are pretty full as it is I think 50 open had 47 kids race the Battle for Ohio and 65 had over 35 kids off the top of my head for last year.
Dudley
3/10/2020 11:11am
Our local series 15 years ago used to allow split day races. Basically half the classes ran in morning and half the classes ran in afternoon. I loved this format but I was in the minority because they went to full day format.
Mossy
3/10/2020 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 1:03pm
I’m planning on doing my first race this spring and I can agree, there are way too many classes. Not only is it overwhelming, but I’m hoping there’s more than 4-5 people in the class I race. I want a RACE. If I want a 5 man moto experience, I can grab 4-5 buddies and go to a practice day at a track ya know?
cable
3/10/2020 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 6:00pm
Michigan has had a split program off and on for 35 years or so. over 30 and youth under 15 in the morning and done by noon. afternoon practice for everyone else started at 1:00. Party all night and still make the practice. track stayed smooth all morning. The mini dads wanted the track to get rough in preparation for lorettas, so some tracks changed to the all day adventure. longer gate line, sign up line, practice line... not a fan. some of the old guys in the 90s would race in the morning and drive 6 hrs to go to indy supercross.
mark_swart
3/11/2020 7:10am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 7:11am
Not to be a dick, but the answer to your question as to "why would I" is because if you go to Cathey's Creek you will be racing motocross and not racing in the woods! I know there are plenty of bad ass woods guys, but for me personally I just have zero interest in it. I like jumps, I like the intensity of moto, and I want to be within sight of an ambulance when I bust my ass haha.

Don't get me wrong, I too am very concerned at the amount of turnout in the + classes since moving back to the Southeast last summer. Our vet classes were huge in the PNW, where I lived for the previous four years. I don't know if it is because of more disposable income there, or if people here get old and just say screw it, I don't want to take the risk or put in the work. Or maybe they get out of it and are intimidated to come back, thinking they will have to ride like they did when they were young (which of course is 100% not the case.)

So here are my suggestions - I think all of the smaller promoters around here need to just cut back those classes to +30, +40 and +50 instead of having age brackets every five years. That only dilutes the classes more. At some point everyone added those extra age brackets to follow the Loretta's class structure, but when you only have 100 people at an event, you just don't need all of those brackets unless you are filling gates in the basic (+30/+40/+50) classes.

Our they could keep the same number of classes, but offer A/B (cash) and C/D (trophy) classes in the +30/+40/+50 so that guys who are coming back to the sport can jump in and just have fun. I have a feeling they growth in trophy classes would offset the cost of the cash purse in the fast classes.

I will give MotoVated credit -- at least they pay a cash purse to all of their vet classes. That alone will probably pull me more into their direction this season.

I have also heard of a "no jump" vet class, but that would be hard to police.

Either way, I agree, old guy MX is hurting here in the SC and it would be great to get some energy and fresh ideas into it.
3/11/2020 7:16am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2020 7:19am
This topic gets beat every year. Everyone says they want longer motos. Yada yada. Less classes. But still nobody shows up. The remainder get pissed because they want 3 laps. so you really kick the promoter In the nuts twice. No new people and pissing off your regular clients.

Vets draw bigger numbers because they got the money to spend.

Younger kids need the parents to be fully invested. Maybe they’re busier doing other things? Locally it hurts. But nationally the chasers are still there and very competitive.

Gncc seems like the move.
rallendude
3/11/2020 7:47am
Just a thought here, with 30 or more racing weekends in a year down South, why not split the weekends like the LL Qualifiers? Youth and age classes race one weekend and the Amateurs race the next, or another weekend. From what I understand the turn-outs are really low right now so maybe it doesn't work. But maybe if you offer a program with two practices like the old days and more actual seat time during the day, since there would be half the classes, you could draw more riders. The riders might even get better quicker with more track time. The schedule wouldn't be so crunched to get started by 8:00am and finish at 5:00pm with 37 classes worth of motos. A lot of the hassle with figuring out how to split gate the 450A class with the 65 7-11 class would go away.

I see the downside being more work and less pay for the promoters. This could be a deal breaker since we have to have promoters to get a place to race.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
3/11/2020 7:51am
While I do think open discussion on formats, timing, and increasing turnout at local events is great and helps us all learn you have to remember all these races are put on by just normal people. If you truly want to help join a club, go to district meetings, voice your opinion, and put in the work to make it better.

With all that said, I love offroad racing for your point of how much seat time I get vs how long I am at the track. However I also love doing a couple moto events because all that down time turns into some awesome bullshit time with friends and new people I meet at the track. Best advice I can give here, is just focus on enjoying the day no matter which style event you go to and I am sure you'll have fun.
nealb129
3/11/2020 9:43am
Am I reading that right? The smallest youngest guys get grouped with “Johnny send it” on his clapped out 2000 banshee with his lbz gear?
4DAIVIPAI2K5
3/11/2020 10:40am
nealb129 wrote:
Am I reading that right? The smallest youngest guys get grouped with “Johnny send it” on his clapped out 2000 banshee with his lbz gear?
Not on the track at the same time. But the quads and the pw's have their races on saturday afternoon.

Saturday morning 8-1pm is sessioned practice for everyone. 1-2pm is track prep, 2pm-when ever, is quad and pw races start. The wider quad ruts help the pw kids get around.
Sunday morning is 1 or 2 hrs worth of race practice for bikes from 50jr to big bikes then on races for 50jr to big bikes.
zippytech
3/11/2020 11:07am
I get it we need little ones on bikes. but to sit through 20 minutes of little people on bikes with training wheels is terrible.
bh
3/11/2020 1:30pm
WoodsRacer wrote:
While I do think open discussion on formats, timing, and increasing turnout at local events is great and helps us all learn you have to remember...
While I do think open discussion on formats, timing, and increasing turnout at local events is great and helps us all learn you have to remember all these races are put on by just normal people. If you truly want to help join a club, go to district meetings, voice your opinion, and put in the work to make it better.

With all that said, I love offroad racing for your point of how much seat time I get vs how long I am at the track. However I also love doing a couple moto events because all that down time turns into some awesome bullshit time with friends and new people I meet at the track. Best advice I can give here, is just focus on enjoying the day no matter which style event you go to and I am sure you'll have fun.
I completely agree. I believe off-road and moto compliment each other and I love riding both. Nothing beats racing with a 20 man gate. I couldn’t imagine racing with a 40 man gate. My only gripe with moto is the gates aren’t stacked in my area. But in the woods there is always a battle to be had, people to pass, and people lapping you.
zippytech
3/11/2020 2:20pm
bh wrote:
I completely agree. I believe off-road and moto compliment each other and I love riding both. Nothing beats racing with a 20 man gate. I couldn’t...
I completely agree. I believe off-road and moto compliment each other and I love riding both. Nothing beats racing with a 20 man gate. I couldn’t imagine racing with a 40 man gate. My only gripe with moto is the gates aren’t stacked in my area. But in the woods there is always a battle to be had, people to pass, and people lapping you.
20 man gate! What is that? I would love to see 40 man gates with a staggered start behind it. That was the 90's for me..
bh
3/11/2020 2:29pm
zippytech wrote:
20 man gate! What is that? I would love to see 40 man gates with a staggered start behind it. That was the 90's for me..
Yep most I’ve experienced on a gate is 20 sadly. Might try and make it up muddy creek in search of a 40 man gate this year.

Post a reply to: What keeps me up at night. (Local racing in the south east)

The Latest