What is your worst injury from moto?

Stuntman949
12/11/2019 12:13pm
Lol....well thanks !!! All kidding aside it's the worst pain I've ever been through.
The surgery recovery has been far worse than the crash for me. Heal up brotha
St Ann More
12/11/2019 12:41pm
Broken heart... when Everts went around the outside of Stewart on the pegs at the MXdN in 2006.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
12/11/2019 1:05pm
Fractured T6, T10, L2, five ribs, pneumothorax, nicked spleen. My new L2. Took nearly 40 years to have the "bad one".

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
12/11/2019 1:23pm
I'm always relieved by these threads that the only thing moto destroyed in my life were my dreams and my pride.

The Shop

TSCHAM101
12/11/2019 2:00pm
All from same crash

Arachnoid Cyst (a Brain cyst) by far the scariest for me..

Others inlclude
2 weeks in ICU
Collapsed lung
Broken Collarbone
Bleeding Internally, had it not been noticed would have died in 1 day
12/11/2019 2:47pm
The hard part about this injury. I had many before this. I made a deal with the wife 8 years ago. If I get seriously hurt. I'll never swing a leg over a bike again. Been riding for 40 years comes to an end over a simple double jump.
Motoxdoc
12/11/2019 3:13pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Holy shit. And I was going to say a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum. That's like a minor scratch compared to what you've been thru...
Holy shit. And I was going to say a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum. That's like a minor scratch compared to what you've been thru!! Btw, I've slowed down too.
BobPA wrote:
No shame in slowing down. I respect everyone that gets back on the bike after an injury, regardless of how severe it is. I also respect...
No shame in slowing down. I respect everyone that gets back on the bike after an injury, regardless of how severe it is.

I also respect when someone hangs up the boots for good. I like to bust balls, but it takes a big man, or woman, to give up the sport they love.

kb228 wrote:
Thats some good words there bob. Here i thought i was just being a pussy
You can say a lot of things about MXers....but there sure as fuck aren’t any pussies posting in here!!!
wildbill
12/11/2019 3:14pm
You guys are nuts.

In 04, I swapped hardcore 4th gearing whoops. I landed backwards on the face of one. My friend said he's never seen a man hit the ground that hard, and live. Destroyed my shoulder and broke every rib on my right side, in numerous places. Lung was toast too. Got a new shoulder joint in 14. Surgeon said "Don't fuck this one up because I can't repair it again."
cartel
12/11/2019 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2019 5:08pm
In my younger years I had nothing more than a few stitches and bruises. Fast forward 20 years — I've been back riding for a couple years now and had my first 'real' injury in October. I overshot an innocuous, albeit large, tabletop and received a trimalleolar fracture as my reward. The worst part about the injury is the ambiguity around the actual injury cause; I've overshot jumps a myriad of times and never had an issue — panic rev, hold on, and suck it up and you're typically fine. I think my foot was simply in the wrong spot on the footpeg and all that force emanated through my ankle / tb / fib, instead of through my knees / suspension.

I'm about 45 days out of my second surgery and doing pretty well. I've been doing a workout routine almost every day since I've been out of the hospital and gradually adding more to the routine. In addition to the core workouts, I'm also rowing one-legged and spinning on my trainer with a flat pedal on my right side.

I also made it a point to learn how to drive with my left foot.

I echo the sentiment of these injuries being expensive — during my time on the sofa I've managed to buy a few new bicycles and another 350 SX-F, which I'll start building slowly.

I'd highly suggest watching Lindsay Vonn's new documentary on Netflix. It really illustrates not only how often elite level athletes are injured, but the tenacity they have to get back into health. The consequent motivation is worth a watch.

Dave, hope your surgery went well.

brocster
12/11/2019 6:56pm

To all you guys with pilon fractured ankles. I highly advise PRP therapy once you are up and walking. If I had to do it again I would do it before therapy got to the point where my ankle was being stretched and flexed. Search here on Vital for PRP therapy as I wrote about my progress a few times.

2nd worst was 10 ribs, punctured lung, collarbone and metacarpal.

Funny being at the world vet seeing all the old guys hobbling around. Ha! Keep going dudes, I know I am.... Brampton braap
yz25
12/11/2019 7:07pm
Nothing close to what some of you warriors have been through! Wow. Some tuff SOBs here. Thought I had a rough one. But will give it a shot.

Broke wrist, thumb, blew out cartilage in wrist, popped wrist and bones in hand out of place..... had to get all of the mess lined back up before surgery. The kicker was the scaphoid bone was broke in 3 places. Took nearly 6mnths to heal. Eight months to be released. Entire time could not wait to get back on my bike. But to this day hitting the “bigger” jumps still are not in my comfort zone. But still enjoy burning laps!

Stay safe guys!
KDXGarage
12/11/2019 11:10pm
phuck this thread!

3 ribs for me! I got out light, apparently!
Talisker
12/12/2019 1:50am
In 40 years I am lucky to say I have only had the normal ones, collarbones and ribs. Of course the bump, bruises, and scrapes.

By far my worst injury was when my pride, ego, and heart was shattered the day I realized I was not as fast as I thought I was in my own mind......

Haha haaaaa
D
zippytech
12/12/2019 4:08am
Broken heart... when Everts went around the outside of Stewart on the pegs at the MXdN in 2006.
I remember Carmichael doing that to Stewart as well a few times as well.
12/12/2019 6:52am
Only read the first few replies, makes my injury look like nothing even though in broken bone terms it was serious, so I won’t bother saying what happened to me.
charlie68
12/12/2019 10:08am
Some walking ( or hobbeling ) hardware stores here on Vital!

Ive been very lucky to get away with little tiny things like broken fingers sprains and twists, the VW Jetta that took me out whilst on my KTM supermoto didnt break any bones, but that car went to the scrap yard while i still ride the KTM....
12/12/2019 11:24am
I see alot of tib-fibs in this thread. I shattered mine in 2010. A pilon fracture. My ortho (trauma surgeon) said it was the worst one he had seen...Great! 3 plates and 17 screws, 3 surgeries later, i have all the hardware out and walk ok. I had an easy tibia break on the other leg 2 years later. Yes it is a disease!
I actually rode around a friends practice track with my walking boot on! Thank God that i can still clip in and ride my mountain bike. I still have the bikes and do still ride but stay off the race track at 57.
jonboy688's x-rays are so gnarly...He wins!

Post a reply to: What is your worst injury from moto?

The Latest