What is your take on local Moto in 2016?

NATEP231
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2016 4:36pm
We are seeing numbers drastically declining in Iowa and I've been hearing the same in the surrounding states. Biggest thing I've noticed (I've been around since 1990 before the Internet era) the massive down hill spiral of social media ruining the sport. We now have practice days on top of race days, C riders and even mini riders publicly bad mouthing tracks, promotors who get so frustrated by what they read on the media outlets about their hard work. Question is what can we do to turn this around? Or is there anything we can do? I know the price of bikes and having the best equipment is pretty much out of the question for most 20 year olds hell Im in my 30s and can't afford to do it like I use to.
|
jmx411
5/10/2016 8:13am
$$$$$$$$$$. To expensive to have packed gates like back in the late 90s early 2000s. Man I remember back in the day in the Carolinas on a Saturday night JMX series race if was consistently 200-300 riders if not more.
EEE299
5/10/2016 8:17am
I haven't been around the moto scene as long or as much as some. I think in my area, after a large decline mainly due to land issues many years ago it actually hasn't gotten any worse. I would even say it has been a little better now that the economy is recovering. (post 2008 recession)

I'm an offroad guy but I go to local tracks somewhat regularly. I get the impression the offroad scene is a lot stronger than what it use to be around here.
5/10/2016 8:27am
I think four strokes have put somewhat of a damper on the growth of the sport at the local level due to sound, expenses, and complexity (vs 2-strokes). 2 strokes don't carry sound like the 4 strokes do, plus 2 strokes are affordable and a lot easier to work on in my opinion.

I also think that more people are starting to switch to off-road/xc type riding in my area because at a lot of places it's free to ride versus $20-$30 for a practice day at the track with maybe only 3-4 sessions on the track. And for hare scrambles, you get triple or quadruple the ride time for about the same money you would spend to race at the MX track.

I also think injuries appear more prevalent, possibly "scaring off" parents, and also the working family-man who can't afford to get hurt and be out if work, or fear of being paralyzed or death.

Just my thoughts.

The Shop

5/10/2016 9:28am
I grew up racing in SoCal. Perris, milestone, Elsinore, starwest, etc... and what ruined it for me was the insane amount of cherry picking. Im aware cherry picking happens everywhere, not just in SoCal, but it's not very motivating to pay a lot of money to frequently race against fast novices racing starter/ beginner classes. Dads think that when they're 65-novice-winner-kid moves up to the 85 that it's time to race beginner again, which never made sense because I always got faster when I moved up to a bigger bike, not slower.
Dtat720
5/10/2016 9:57am
I can drive 1.5 hrs to a track that is rough at best and pay $25 per day. Or drive 2.5 hrs any other direction and oay the same for a somewhat better track. OR, pay $40 per year and ride over 40 miles of badass trails, some free ride pit areas and a few turn tracks on a private 880 acre club on city property. I do the track days when i just have to hit jumps and have an urge for speed and all. But the club deal, you cant beat it. Open 7 days a week rain or shine.
twnorton
5/10/2016 10:01am
its getting too expensive to ride. Any time I take my bike to the track it averages out to be $100 with gas, practice fees, gate fees, transport etc.
Cygnus
5/10/2016 10:04am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2016 10:17am
oops never mind. Just make sure to stop at the box and leave a donation. Cool
Allracing
5/10/2016 10:11am
Another issue I have is now there are too many classes especially in the mini bikes, ages, mods, cc's, etc. When I first started racing, I usually was done with both motos by about 1pm and then could go do something else, now it seems it takes 10-12 hours to get two motos in, and I don't want to sit around that much just to ride 20-30 minutes. So I'd rather just do practice days for 2-3 hours and do other things with my time then just sit around all day waiting. Also I have a private track and people want tracks to be perfectly groomed and watered all the time, but only want to pay $10 to ride, so now only me and a couple buddies ride my track because I got sick of complaining about everything about the track.
c0ncEpT
5/10/2016 10:14am
IMO I haven't seen much decline if any up here the past few years. The tracks are still jam packed for practice and race days like before.
5/10/2016 10:25am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2016 10:29am
There is a shift going on from racing to riding. It's isn't cost, for 2k you can be riding or racing with a bike and gear. People get enough enjoyment out of just getting to the track and trails and riding, they've never raced. Maybe it's always been that way
Markopolo400
5/10/2016 10:36am
I don't even race moto anymore. I pretty much only do practice days (Almost every weekend).

But I will come out and race special one off races, like GP Moto-scramble type things. And NateP I was going to race the Urbancross in Waterloo this weekend, but had to bail for many reasons. I should still be down to watch though.
Starcrossed
5/10/2016 10:51am
There is a shift going on from racing to riding. It's isn't cost, for 2k you can be riding or racing with a bike and gear...
There is a shift going on from racing to riding. It's isn't cost, for 2k you can be riding or racing with a bike and gear. People get enough enjoyment out of just getting to the track and trails and riding, they've never raced. Maybe it's always been that way
Are you referring to motocross or pit bikes? $2,000 doesn't go very far racing motocross. That's enough to cover fuel, repairs and maintenance, fees, and travel for a season...maybe. What about a bike, gear, and a transport vehicle?
5/10/2016 10:52am
Over here the tracks are the busiest I have seen them in the last 30 years. Everyone seems to be on some form of training schedule and aiming to be professional though even at club level, very few weekend warriors left.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
5/10/2016 10:59am
If you think racing is too expensive, do you have any idea how much it costs to run a race or a track? The numbers will shock you.
mjr119
5/10/2016 11:04am
twnorton wrote:
its getting too expensive to ride. Any time I take my bike to the track it averages out to be $100 with gas, practice fees, gate...
its getting too expensive to ride. Any time I take my bike to the track it averages out to be $100 with gas, practice fees, gate fees, transport etc.
100!? where are you riding at? Your back yard??

Kidding. But I spend way more than 100 to go practice. Much much more to race (havent raced seriously in 10 years).

The local scene around me is pretty strong. When I say local, I mean the tracks with their own race series (night tracks etc). It seems to be as strong as ever. I havent been to an AMA race or am national in 10 years, but I have heard that particpation in that level of the sport has dropped off noticeably.
Dtat720
5/10/2016 11:15am
The stacked out c classes are mostly b riders wanting to make LL's in C before moving to B. I know several kids who did this for 3-4 yrs. injury before a regional, stay in c class and wait till next year.... Knowing that moving to B class means no trip to the ranch
Cygnus
5/10/2016 11:24am
The local race scene is solid around here. Not many spectators from what I hear?
Manco
5/10/2016 11:40am
mx510 wrote:
If you think racing is too expensive, do you have any idea how much it costs to run a race or a track? The numbers will...
If you think racing is too expensive, do you have any idea how much it costs to run a race or a track? The numbers will shock you.
Owning a track is a business that can be profitable in the hands of a knowledgeable and savvy owner. Overhead is part of running a business so regardless of how much the overhead is it doesn't matter if there is profit at the end of the day. Any person with business knowledge can start, run and profit from a track if they are smart about the venture.

Racing on the other hand is expensive because for the average consumer racing is little more then endless amounts of cash dumped without return into a bottomless pit of money grubbing vipers. There is no profit in racing unless the persons involved are corporations using racing as a means to advertise a product. Corporations paying representatives to sell products by masquerading as athletes doesn't count as a profitable racing either. In that situation those representatives are selling products regardless of how many berms they rip, jumps they hit or finish lines they cross in their work day.
5/10/2016 11:40am
Dtat720 wrote:
The stacked out c classes are mostly b riders wanting to make LL's in C before moving to B. I know several kids who did this...
The stacked out c classes are mostly b riders wanting to make LL's in C before moving to B. I know several kids who did this for 3-4 yrs. injury before a regional, stay in c class and wait till next year.... Knowing that moving to B class means no trip to the ranch
always a good laugh when the D class gates are bigger. only way to fix that is no trophies for d class.
but I agree C class is getting out of hand too. working at a track you wouldn't believe some of the stuff people try to pull at sign ups. fake names, changing numbers, switching classes after race order was posted just to get in a smaller class. I was working staging and caught one kid that was changing number plates and racing B class and D class. the give away was his front number plate didn't have a number only a bunch of stickers. caught on to him in second moto. looked for his number/name and only saw it in one class. when he came up for second moto b class I told him to kick rocks he was disqualified.

years back I had a frustrating time even trying to get the kid into racing. I asked around a lot at bike shops, on forums etc..... people were really hush about the when and where. yeah I know everything in online but a 100%newb doesn't know what to make of things. I finally showed up to our first race with a CRF50 and tried to get in the flow of things. we would get to staging 4-5 motos early and try and talk to other parents. no one wanted to say a thing until they saw my kid was slow and not a threat to their sons trophy.

eventually we got to know everybody and made some good friends but for an outsider to try to come in its not a very inviting scene.
cwtoyota
5/10/2016 12:10pm
Dtat720 wrote:
The stacked out c classes are mostly b riders wanting to make LL's in C before moving to B. I know several kids who did this...
always a good laugh when the D class gates are bigger. only way to fix that is no trophies for d class. but I agree C...
always a good laugh when the D class gates are bigger. only way to fix that is no trophies for d class.
but I agree C class is getting out of hand too. working at a track you wouldn't believe some of the stuff people try to pull at sign ups. fake names, changing numbers, switching classes after race order was posted just to get in a smaller class. I was working staging and caught one kid that was changing number plates and racing B class and D class. the give away was his front number plate didn't have a number only a bunch of stickers. caught on to him in second moto. looked for his number/name and only saw it in one class. when he came up for second moto b class I told him to kick rocks he was disqualified.

years back I had a frustrating time even trying to get the kid into racing. I asked around a lot at bike shops, on forums etc..... people were really hush about the when and where. yeah I know everything in online but a 100%newb doesn't know what to make of things. I finally showed up to our first race with a CRF50 and tried to get in the flow of things. we would get to staging 4-5 motos early and try and talk to other parents. no one wanted to say a thing until they saw my kid was slow and not a threat to their sons trophy.

eventually we got to know everybody and made some good friends but for an outsider to try to come in its not a very inviting scene.
I've seen the same with the local kids staying down in C just to get a shot at LL's.

There have been plenty of times that my friends and I have switched classes to race against more people.
I always race 30+, but for my second class, if the turnout is small, I will switch from 25+ to 250cc or Open class.

Personally I would like to see number of classes cut in half and run 10 lap or 20 minute motos for anything above beginner class.

On the other hand, the tracks wouldn't be making a profit if they cut out half of their signup money and I don't think a lot of racers actually want longer motos. A lot of guys fade after 3-1/2 or 4 laps.

ForToo
5/10/2016 12:13pm
I raced from 1994 until 2004 in district 16, I remember having nearly 700 racers at Aztlan.
mmain62
5/10/2016 1:36pm
LONG WINDED
I know people personally that are B class fast and racing C to try to get to the RANCH. Its annoying. I raced C class for 1 season and 2 races the next won my last C race by a minute plus with a broken collarbone. Moved up to B like any right minded racer would and was average top 3-5. Now I have a 10 acre practice track that is free to go to and I go and race Vintage class on my 9 year old 2 stroke for fun. I see a ton of people realizing that paying 25$ per class 10 to get in Gas money for truck and bike food and whatever else and getting in 2 5 lap motos and a 3 lap practice. I have considered all spring, switching to GP races or HS races for more race time for the money. I still want that race feeling. I also have watched about 10 high school kids that ride at my place all go out and make their parents buy them 4 strokes which is all fine and dandy but when 5 out of the 10 blew them up all of the sudden they are trading them for older 125s just so they can ride because their parents don't want to pay 1500 bucks to rebuild blown up 4T bikes. MX is getting harder for the blue collar folks IMO.
5/10/2016 1:58pm
HardTaco wrote:
Four strokes
THIS they dont affect experienced riders with $ who know moto, but will crush newcomers financially
Tpog496
5/10/2016 2:01pm
HardTaco wrote:
Four strokes
Kx125rider wrote:
THIS they dont affect experienced riders with $ who know moto, but will crush newcomers financially
You do know that they could still buy and ride a two stroke right?
kkawboy14
5/10/2016 2:01pm
Yoho/Dade City MX is the only track in the country that actually gets running a Saturday night local race series!
bsharkey
5/10/2016 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2016 2:10pm
everythings costs a fortune now, bikes gear everything . for heavens sakes 50s are in the 5k range now. things seem to be recovering around our area but there are still a lot of issues. promotors need to not stack events upon the same days as others. all this does is spread the riders out thin and causes low rider count. its sad to see you cant build a new track anywhere anymore. pretty much impossible. the liberals and environuts have ruined everything. you could have a track up in the hills with no one within 50 miles in Washington and someone flying over in a 777 could have you shutdown literally pretty humbling. it amazes they built motowest but its next to the airport and dragstrip
kkawboy14
5/10/2016 2:11pm
bsharkey wrote:
everythings costs a fortune now, bikes gear everything . for heavens sakes 50s are in the 5k range now. things seem to be recovering around our...
everythings costs a fortune now, bikes gear everything . for heavens sakes 50s are in the 5k range now. things seem to be recovering around our area but there are still a lot of issues. promotors need to not stack events upon the same days as others. all this does is spread the riders out thin and causes low rider count. its sad to see you cant build a new track anywhere anymore. pretty much impossible. the liberals and environuts have ruined everything. you could have a track up in the hills with no one within 50 miles in Washington and someone flying over in a 777 could have you shutdown literally pretty humbling. it amazes they built motowest but its next to the airport and dragstrip
These guys go out on a Friday night and buy $9-$12 alcoholic drinks, cost of ridings not really the problem
bsharkey
5/10/2016 2:14pm
Dtat720 wrote:
bingo or the same in the bclass too
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
5/10/2016 2:27pm
bsharkey wrote:
everythings costs a fortune now, bikes gear everything . for heavens sakes 50s are in the 5k range now. things seem to be recovering around our...
I agree totally with your statement that promoters NEED to get on the same page with each other to avoid stacking events, at least if the tracks are going to be pulling from the same rider pool. I don't agree with your statement about gear and bikes. There are so many ways to get around paying $9,000 for a bike. I have bought a brand new 450 from Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki (4 in total) since 2009 without paying a cent over $6400 otd. Regarding gear, have your checked out the blowout sales that Motosport, BTO and Rocky Mtn have? You can get pants jersey and gloves for around $130-$150. Helmets and boots are more expensive, but also are far superior to what they used to be especially boots. Lastly, if you show up and race at some tracks like Pacific raceways or the Washington state championship series you get $10 Rocky mtn bucks just for signing up, per class. Race fees have stayed the basically the same (within $5-10) for almost 20 years. Hell, pants jersey and gloves have only gone up about $30 in since the mid nineties. I remember seeing the price tag on my Fox 360 Red Riders gear in 1995 as 149 for pants and 50 for jersey. Pretty much the same today.

Post a reply to: What is your take on local Moto in 2016?

The Latest