What is your Chase suggestion?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 4/30/2016 5:49pm
Can we use the 3 and 3 thread to bag on the Chase concept and use this thread just for different proposals please?

According one of my sources while the Chase is a definite the structure of the Chase is NOT cast in stone yet so here are my suggestions:

1) Drop your two worst finishes in the series with the stipulation if you have to have made the main for the event you're dropping. If you didn't qualify or missed the event due to injury or visa issue tough bananas.

2) Change the point structure 25 23 22 21 20 for top five.

I don't like the idea of resetting the points but I do like the idea of tightening things up a bit.
|
peelout
4/28/2016 6:27pm
some points should carry over to the Chase. here's my thought on how it should start out (points standings during season prior to chase and starting Chase points)

1st 100
2nd 97
3rd 94
4th 91
go down in increments of 3

this eliminates everyone's worry of the regular season being worthless and nobody trying (which is a stupid fucking thought, if you think Dungey doesn't want to win every race then you're a clown in the first place).

the series may or may not be decided by 1 point or less, so the more advantage starting out the better. yet, if you come into the series 5th, you're really only down by 12 points, hypothetically giving you a chance.

i don't love the Chase but i don't hate it. i'm interested in seeing how it can add to the series, because it's lame as hell right now.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
4/28/2016 6:40pm
With a guy like Dungey around a points chase will not matter.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/28/2016 7:10pm
My suggestion for a format that would best for SX

Assuming there are 17 rounds.

1.After 12 rounds the Chase to the championship would begin. To be eligible for the Chase you must either win one of the preceding 12 rounds or be ranked top 4 in points.

2. Chase qualifiers points will be set to zero. The remaining non chase qualifiers will still be scored points and will finish the season out vying for the best non chase positions. Each race win for rounds 1-12 will not only secure your position in the chase it will also give you one point per win to begin the chase. Example: A rider such as Dungey would have the potential to enter the Chase with a 8-4 point edge of he won 8 or the 12 rounds, Roczen wins 4, they enter the chase with Ryan at 8 points, Roczen at 4, the other 2 qualifiers based on points would be at zero. As you can see this would make EVERY single round extremely important to give you the biggest advantage heading into the chase.

What this would solve is a series being meaningless over the last few rounds, which it is approx 75% of the time. It would keep riders from settling for points instead of going for wins. It would give a very good rider such as Canard, who for whatever reason goes winless through rounds 1-11 a VERY real chance of getting into the chase by winning round 12. The intensity would be off the charts of anything we have witnessed in SX in prior years.

This sport is stale. It is dominated by 1-2 riders year after year. Great for the hardest working riders, sucks ass for TV and stadium attendance. Series finales with champions crowned 2 rounds earlier suck ass. Leave the 24-0 seasons for the outdoors where the pure beauty of MX can overcome the dominance of one rider. With 17 rounds of SX on what basically is the same track week after week it is hard to watch a freight train of unmotivated riders circulating the track at season end when they should be fighting for a title
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
4/28/2016 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 7:12pm
2 main events like arenacross!! Like outdoors!!

The Shop

Ted722
4/28/2016 7:29pm
Forget the Miss Supercross #sxonfox motorcycle in the living room pictures and have her ask a question.

Do you SX fans want a Chase format like NASCAR?

This would be a perfect weekend to do it as Dungey should be clinching.
aeffertz
4/28/2016 7:39pm
Whoever ever has the points lead MUST race a two stroke.
Crush
4/28/2016 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 8:33pm
Formats:
• Drop timed qualifying, draw name out of a bucket for gate pick in heat one. (Qualifying and starts are too important right now, hurts the better racers rather than the heater guys, make it random)
• 5 rounds of dual 15lap main events, paying double points each. (Awards starters like Seely)
• Top 4 in each heat get 4,3,2,1 championship points at each round. (Awards James the heat race maaster)
• Most passes in main gets 5,4,3,2,1 championship points at each round (Awards Tomac and Trey who can't start)
• All normal mains should be 20mins plus 2 laps for premier and 15 plus 2 for small class.
• East and West to race 6 rounds exclusive and 5 E/W shootouts, East, Regional and National Title up for grabs
• Bracket racing ala McGrath invitational or hot lap racing for bonus points in event of chase series
• Rework points schedule so every rider who qualifies for 10 or so mains still has a decent points tally to contend for 15th-30th that they can take to sponsors and market themselves... Right now you could be 24th but no way to show it.

Governance and admin:
• Team managers to have representative on appeals council
• Punishment and appeals process, without fail, to take place following the race and be finalised before the next race
• 4 cameras on wide shots to ensure video coverage of entire race track for appeals process
• Merchandising, ticket prices, tv deal and manufacturers contribute to rider purse which is geared to accomodate the 5th-30th place guys. Dungey doesn't need AMA purse like Chilsolm does.
• Introduce 450 guys up front, then 250 guys, then race 450s.

Tracks:
• Buy double the amount of dirt, for each round and use the over under bridge.
• Dramatically slow the tracks, make the obstacles steeper, taller, more mid 90s, offset rhythms, make them think rather than just pin it...
• One triple per track.
• Bring back massive berms and viable inside lines nets on stadium wall sections where track is close.
• 2 whoop sections back to back with 180 berms on each end to encourage passing.
• Top 10 riders all have to submit a track layout.

Bikes:
• Drop 450s, 250 premier class and 125 amateurs to entry class.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2016 8:02pm
aeffertz wrote:
The last time they encouraged people to sandbag (Rodil Cup) it didn't turn out too well. Let's not do that again.
kkawboy14
4/28/2016 8:08pm
1st thru 10th split $1 million dollars going into the chase.

1st thru 10th split $2 million at the end of the season
Crush
4/28/2016 8:11pm
aeffertz wrote:
GuyB wrote:
The last time they encouraged people to sandbag (Rodil Cup) it didn't turn out too well. Let's not do that again.
We did get an epic speech out of it though!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2016 8:14pm
Crush wrote:
We did get an epic speech out of it though!
I was there. It was even better in person. Wink

It was obvious from the format what would happen...and it did.
txmxer
4/28/2016 8:24pm
Make it like Target. Anybody can race anything in any event and they get to pick the points they think they deserve for the event.

OR

Make the 450 class have two regional sub champions and a grand champion overall

West coast champion, East Coast Champion, Grand Champion (total of all regionals + Vegas).

West and East mirror the regional championships--but Vegas is only for the Grand Championship and is a double points round. 50 points up for grabs.

If a rider gets hurt at A1, he can take a few weeks off and still win a title. If Dung dominates he is not punished for kicking everyone's ass, but Vegas does give the competition one last shot to show up if they've held it within 2 races. If they can't do that then they don't deserve a shot to win the title.
Crush
4/28/2016 8:28pm
GuyB wrote:
I was there. It was even better in person. Wink

It was obvious from the format what would happen...and it did.
haha, I bet.

Your 2nd sentence is why I think they gotta throw a bunch of stuff at it at once, you can't just do something to favour one type of rider or situation, it's just gotta be a mix.

In our Supercar series there are long distance rounds, double paying points sprint races etc, qualifying leads to a top 10 shootout for extra points, it's just talking points and it works.
Jimmy_Sloan
4/28/2016 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 8:32pm
The Rock wrote:
Can we use the 3 and 3 thread to bag on the Chase concept and use this thread just for different proposals please? According one of...
Can we use the 3 and 3 thread to bag on the Chase concept and use this thread just for different proposals please?

According one of my sources while the Chase is a definite the structure of the Chase is NOT cast in stone yet so here are my suggestions:

1) Drop your two worst finishes in the series with the stipulation if you have to have made the main for the event you're dropping. If you didn't qualify or missed the event due to injury or visa issue tough bananas.

I don't like the idea of resetting the points but I do like the idea of tightening things up a bit.
No chase system. That my chase suggestion. Smile

What is so wrong with actually earning points?

No one had a problem when McGrath, RC, and RV were dominating.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/28/2016 8:37pm
My chase suggestion? Wait and see the actual format...if they choose to do it.
Jimmy_Sloan
4/28/2016 8:39pm
GuyB wrote:
My chase suggestion? Wait and see the actual format...if they choose to do it.
It's reminding me of the Y2K hype. Smile
4/28/2016 8:58pm
I think they should go elimination style. With 4 rounds left, anyone more than 100 points down is eliminated from the chase. Then with 3 rounds to go, the point cutoff is 75 points. 2 races: 50, and going into the last race, anyone down more than 25 is eliminated. After the last race, whoever has the most points of those riders not previously eliminated is crowned champion.
JPT
4/28/2016 8:59pm
Go to the random gate pick. Give a point for heat wins and only transfer three from the heats. More competitive heats.

Each rider has to throw out the points from one race during the season. That would reduce the available points from 425 for 17 races to 400 for 16. Should tighten things up while maintaining the integrity of a season long championship.

Haven't figured exactly where that would put this year but I'm guessing it would be closer.

Never said I reject any changes, some some hokey, manufactured reset that insults all the champions that came before.
txmxer
4/28/2016 9:25pm
JPT wrote:
Go to the random gate pick. Give a point for heat wins and only transfer three from the heats. More competitive heats. Each rider has to...
Go to the random gate pick. Give a point for heat wins and only transfer three from the heats. More competitive heats.

Each rider has to throw out the points from one race during the season. That would reduce the available points from 425 for 17 races to 400 for 16. Should tighten things up while maintaining the integrity of a season long championship.

Haven't figured exactly where that would put this year but I'm guessing it would be closer.

Never said I reject any changes, some some hokey, manufactured reset that insults all the champions that came before.
Why do you hate Target?
4/28/2016 9:26pm
Or go with a combined chase. After 11 rounds, anyone who won a 450 main, 250 main, 2 AX mains, 3 450 heats, 3 250 heats, a GNCC or SBK title in the previous two years, the Kentucky Derby, or is the reigning undisputed heavyweight champion, is eligible for the chase.

You get 5 points per 450 win, 3 per 250, 2 per AX and 1 per heat. GNCC and SBK champs get 7 points, and the heavyweight champ gets 10. No points for the Derby winner, but since jockeys are too small to ride the big bikes, the last 4 rounds have to be raced on stock 85cc machines. Absolutely no changes can be made to the bikes, not even tyre pressure.

If you don't make the chase, but during the last 6 rounds acheive results that would have qualified, you are retroactively put in the chase, with your score reflecting your score had you been in the chase initially.

After the initial points reset, points are awarded as usual. Here's the real kicker. It wan't a chase to the championship, it was a chase to the chase to the championship. After 4 chase-to-the-chase rounds (15 races into the season), points are reset to 0, and only riders who won one of the previous 4 rounds are eligible for the chase. Unless 1 person wins all four rounds, and then the winner, plus the points leader among the non-chase riders will battle it out over two rounds to determine the championship.

For the final 2 races, the points will be awarded as follows. 1 point for finishing highest amongst the chase contender, and zero points for everything else.
Sully
4/28/2016 9:44pm
Start paying points for transferring out of heats and semis. I'd do 12 for a heat win and drop 2 points per qualifying position (i.e., 4th gets 6 points). For the semis, I'd do 6 points for a win and drop one point for each position after.
4/28/2016 9:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 9:54pm
2 main events like arenacross!! Like outdoors!!
Yep. Friday night qualifying and four races on Saturday that mean something. Maybe a vet or legends race at halftime.

And...

After the overall winner/podium finishers are decided for the night, everybody drops a main and gets points corresponding to their best finish position (1st = 1 point, 2nd = 2 points etc.). Then, everybody that finishes with fifty points or less at the end of ten rounds (5th place average or better) is eligible for the chase after a reset where, using the same scoring system (low score being best), both motos count til Dungey is crowned champ again anyway.

This literally just rolled off the top of my head. I have no idea...

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/28/2016 10:00pm
My head hurts
gsxr6
4/28/2016 10:13pm
I left my opinion in the dumbgeon lol. I think they should do East and West regular seasons, and a five or six race playoffs.
4/28/2016 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2016 11:24pm
I think they should go elimination style. With 4 rounds left, anyone more than 100 points down is eliminated from the chase. Then with 3 rounds...
I think they should go elimination style. With 4 rounds left, anyone more than 100 points down is eliminated from the chase. Then with 3 rounds to go, the point cutoff is 75 points. 2 races: 50, and going into the last race, anyone down more than 25 is eliminated. After the last race, whoever has the most points of those riders not previously eliminated is crowned champion.
This is the current points system.

Edit: I am bad at internet sarcasm.
jeffro503
4/28/2016 11:21pm
The Rock wrote:
Can we use the 3 and 3 thread to bag on the Chase concept and use this thread just for different proposals please? According one of...

I don't like this chase format thing at all , but I do like your first suggestion. Dropping 2 rounds sounds like a pretty good idea. But I'm not at ALL for a points reset thing. That's just fucking stupid.
jeffro503
4/28/2016 11:22pm
I think they should go elimination style. With 4 rounds left, anyone more than 100 points down is eliminated from the chase. Then with 3 rounds...
This is the current points system.

Edit: I am bad at internet sarcasm.
LMFAO! Yep....and I think that was his point. Laughing
Ti
4/29/2016 1:27am
The Rock wrote:

Simple... Have a 2017 Monster Energy Supercross Champion AND have a 2017 Supercross Chase Championship.

Those are my suggestions with out knowing what the Feld family is trying to accomplish by changing the format.

Post a reply to: What is your Chase suggestion?

The Latest