What is wrong with Straight Rhythm?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/22/2018 6:45 PM

I said on this forum in its inaugural event - that Straight Rhythm was awesome - and in my opinion great for the sport - and could be a solid future for our pro's.
People didn't seem to agree.

Fast forward to this year - where the logistics are sorted for fast gate drops and non stop action packed racing - it was ONE HELL of a show for me and my friends, and I found it far more exciting than MOST sx races - certainly FAR better than monster cup IMHO.

It is incredibly easy for the casual fan to understand...
it equalizes the sport some
It makes for great TV, easily sold to sponsor packages
It solves the issue where feld owns all the stadiums - locking out new promoters of a diff SX series
And I could see a Straight Rhythm series with points and championships

Issues are in person viewership - it's too long - it needs a 180 somehow that is equalized inside vs out
Even with a bad ass run event it was a long show - maybe single elimination for the first few rounds (really adding pressure to qualifing and first round!) if it were a series

Make it 4 wide for early eliminations!!!

It can't replace the sport - I don't mean that by any stretch - but I feel it COULD help provide a show/package that allows pros to make real money in ways our sport doesn't now.

So who hates it and why

|

10/22/2018 6:53 PM

the stands looked empty, seems as though it was a TV type event. It would have been a sleeper if RD/RV weren't there publicity wise. Some close racing though, was ok to watch.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

10/22/2018 6:54 PM

2 strokes with super fast pros. Whats to hate? It was even OK when it was all 4 strokes, but when they had 2 strokes last year, that's all I gave a shit about.

This year was super awesome.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/22/2018 7:01 PM

Derek Harris wrote:

I said on this forum in its inaugural event - that Straight Rhythm was awesome - and in my opinion great for the sport - and could be a solid future for our pro's.
People didn't seem to agree.

Fast forward to this year - where the logistics are sorted for fast gate drops and non stop action packed racing - it was ONE HELL of a show for me and my friends, and I found it far more exciting than MOST sx races - certainly FAR better than monster cup IMHO.

It is incredibly easy for the casual fan to understand...
it equalizes the sport some
It makes for great TV, easily sold to sponsor packages
It solves the issue where feld owns all the stadiums - locking out new promoters of a diff SX series
And I could see a Straight Rhythm series with points and championships

Issues are in person viewership - it's too long - it needs a 180 somehow that is equalized inside vs out
Even with a bad ass run event it was a long show - maybe single elimination for the first few rounds (really adding pressure to qualifing and first round!) if it were a series

Make it 4 wide for early eliminations!!!

It can't replace the sport - I don't mean that by any stretch - but I feel it COULD help provide a show/package that allows pros to make real money in ways our sport doesn't now.

So who hates it and why

would of been better had other manufacturers other than just ktm show up, oh yea, maybe some current riders other than 2 that have been retired for some time

|

10/22/2018 7:56 PM

Derek Harris wrote:

I said on this forum in its inaugural event - that Straight Rhythm was awesome - and in my opinion great for the sport - and could be a solid future for our pro's.
People didn't seem to agree.

Fast forward to this year - where the logistics are sorted for fast gate drops and non stop action packed racing - it was ONE HELL of a show for me and my friends, and I found it far more exciting than MOST sx races - certainly FAR better than monster cup IMHO.

It is incredibly easy for the casual fan to understand...
it equalizes the sport some
It makes for great TV, easily sold to sponsor packages
It solves the issue where feld owns all the stadiums - locking out new promoters of a diff SX series
And I could see a Straight Rhythm series with points and championships

Issues are in person viewership - it's too long - it needs a 180 somehow that is equalized inside vs out
Even with a bad ass run event it was a long show - maybe single elimination for the first few rounds (really adding pressure to qualifing and first round!) if it were a series

Make it 4 wide for early eliminations!!!

It can't replace the sport - I don't mean that by any stretch - but I feel it COULD help provide a show/package that allows pros to make real money in ways our sport doesn't now.

So who hates it and why

Coyote wrote:

would of been better had other manufacturers other than just ktm show up, oh yea, maybe some current riders other than 2 that have been retired for some time

Everyone was invited. You can put the blame on them for not supporting the event , imagine what could have been if anderson, hill, m.stewart , AC all lined up against the guys you saw .

|

10/22/2018 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2018 8:00 PM

Did someone say 4 wide??? How sick would RBSR be here in Charlotte at zMax Dragway??

No way it ever happens though; as proved by the shit storm of push back they got when they first announced the Charlotte GP was being held there before they moved it to the Dirt Track...

Photo

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

10/22/2018 8:02 PM

it works because its a one off, not sure if 16 rounds would be as good too watch,

|

10/22/2018 8:22 PM

They didn't stream the qualifiers. I wish they would have. I'd have tuned in. And more racers especially the 125s.

Id bet after this awesome year, more will be interested next year. Eli should have been on that KX 250....




|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/22/2018 8:26 PM

There is no way that anyone, anywhere, that actually watch the event, could say that wasn't the most exciting race to watch in years, if not ever. Seriously, if you didn't enjoy that I don't know what to tell you, that kicked ass in every way.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



10/22/2018 8:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2018 8:48 PM

Idk man if they made this into a championship, hell a 2 stroke only championship, at drag strips like that above, why not? Id watch it. They made endurocross.... What about Supermoto? Why cant this be its own thing too? It definitely could. Plus you dont need the Aldon Baker training for this type of racing so I could see riders liking it more too. We have so many riders with this type of skill set who are out of the sport now. Hell even Dean Wilson and Bogle are out of a ride right now. To me the more the merrier. If we had another series for people with a sx skill set to race Im all for it.

Obviously you gotta be in shape and keep the power to weight ratio in check but you need sprint fitness not 30 mins +2 fitness twice. Riders would loooove that. You could actually have riders like RV and RD who are good at Supercross but tired of the boot camps every year move over into this after their sx career because its basically the same fundamentals they have minus Aldon Baker so they could extend their careers past sx. Plus you could add some really cool stuff too like some huuuuge dirt pile with a dragons back going up then a monster step down triple or all kinds of things you could come up with. I see no reason why this cant become its own sport its incredible and fun. Time will tell. Does anyone know who invented this? Or if its been done before red bull?

|

10/22/2018 8:49 PM

Coyote wrote:

would of been better had other manufacturers other than just ktm show up, oh yea, maybe some current riders other than 2 that have been retired for some time

I actually thought it was really cool how few “stars” were there. No Tomac, Anderson, Musquin, Roczen, Reed, etc., and it was awesome. It did seem to demonstrate potential for secondary national pro opportunity.

|

10/22/2018 8:50 PM

a few factors come into play...

I think it should stay as a 1 off event for the year, but more money put in to increase the volume of it. it needs something within the pits or in the grand stands to wants people to be there.
Make it a day for family's to take the kids and enjoy the style of racing! side shows that arnt just freestyle mx...even an area for the older people to have a few drinks, something to bring the crowds in and the rest will come. not just a random prize money..

to me. this event was something i had been so excited for! 2 strokes and 90's themes! i loved it. needs to stay as so!
I just wanted more riders to show up who where pros.
I guess the next step it to let riders from other energy drinks ride. that was the biggest killers.
if they can get more pros on different 2 strokes other then KTM, keep the 90's theme and push for a bigger prise money.

the only thing that is dragging this down is riders not being able to race due to there sponsors. as mentioned above.. having people like Tomac, dean wilson, Anderson, Mookie, AC and Kroc would of made it so much better!!!

|

10/22/2018 9:05 PM

Whilst it was a great event to watch and I am a fan, it ain’t gonna get any bigger/more traction without Kawi/Honda/Suzuki/Rockstar attending. For obvious reasons (except RH being childish) this won’t change whilst it is a 2 stroke only event. It’s a very well timed novelty event, and maybe that’s all it needs to be.

|

10/22/2018 9:10 PM

I have made it there to watch LIVE the last 2 years. I love it. Some of the best side by side racing ever. The atmosphere is absolutely amazing. Just good vibes from great people.
I plan on going next year.
+ great job guys " Red Bull Straight Rhythm " Is the most fun, in your face, front row seats, meet the riders, great time, you can do. And all that for $30. per ticket. SEE YOU GUYS THERE NEXT YEAR.

|

10/22/2018 9:12 PM

Bring on a 3 event championship!

Million for the overall win

2 strokes only

Best of 5 final race structure

Single elimination in the first round with 40 entries per class (20 match ups)

Final round down the street of some major city - vegas strip, nyc etc

If that isnt cool - I dont know what is

I truly dont care if the big names dont show. Racing was great in all races this year and our “lessor” name guys can show up and take home some money a photo finish is a photo finish

|

10/22/2018 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2018 9:37 PM

It gets very repetitive to me. I can't make it through one whole event let alone a series.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

10/22/2018 9:37 PM

Derek Harris wrote:

Bring on a 3 event championship!

Million for the overall win

2 strokes only

Best of 5 final race structure

Single elimination in the first round with 40 entries per class (20 match ups)

Final round down the street of some major city - vegas strip, nyc etc

If that isnt cool - I dont know what is

I truly dont care if the big names dont show. Racing was great in all races this year and our “lessor” name guys can show up and take home some money a photo finish is a photo finish

+1 There doesn't need to be big names. Pro level riders + 2 strokes and the racing will take care of itself. It'll be close and exciting.

Catanzaro vs Renzlend, as well as the rest of the 125s, was my favorite part of RBSR...

|

James

10/22/2018 9:52 PM

drt410 wrote:

Idk man if they made this into a championship, hell a 2 stroke only championship, at drag strips like that above, why not? Id watch it. They made endurocross.... What about Supermoto? Why cant this be its own thing too? It definitely could. Plus you dont need the Aldon Baker training for this type of racing so I could see riders liking it more too. We have so many riders with this type of skill set who are out of the sport now. Hell even Dean Wilson and Bogle are out of a ride right now. To me the more the merrier. If we had another series for people with a sx skill set to race Im all for it.

Obviously you gotta be in shape and keep the power to weight ratio in check but you need sprint fitness not 30 mins +2 fitness twice. Riders would loooove that. You could actually have riders like RV and RD who are good at Supercross but tired of the boot camps every year move over into this after their sx career because its basically the same fundamentals they have minus Aldon Baker so they could extend their careers past sx. Plus you could add some really cool stuff too like some huuuuge dirt pile with a dragons back going up then a monster step down triple or all kinds of things you could come up with. I see no reason why this cant become its own sport its incredible and fun. Time will tell. Does anyone know who invented this? Or if its been done before red bull?

1 a year is plenty for this event . At Red Bull we are with it enough to know more doesn't mean better. 1 a year is plenty if the athletes from other teams join us .

|

10/22/2018 10:02 PM

I've enjoyed the straight rhythm for as long as it's been a thing, but I have to admit that the years it was Marvin, Dungey, Roczen on 450s wasn't all that interesting to me. I think the 2 strokes are helping a bunch, I think if Red Bull decided to do a regular SX race on 2 strokes there would be similar interest but would take a bit away from the uniqueness of the event.

|

10/23/2018 1:26 AM

Its cool because its an annual race. Id have no interest in watching it as a series.

|

10/23/2018 2:19 AM

Derek Harris wrote:

I said on this forum in its inaugural event - that Straight Rhythm was awesome - and in my opinion great for the sport - and could be a solid future for our pro's.
People didn't seem to agree.

Fast forward to this year - where the logistics are sorted for fast gate drops and non stop action packed racing - it was ONE HELL of a show for me and my friends, and I found it far more exciting than MOST sx races - certainly FAR better than monster cup IMHO.

It is incredibly easy for the casual fan to understand...
it equalizes the sport some
It makes for great TV, easily sold to sponsor packages
It solves the issue where feld owns all the stadiums - locking out new promoters of a diff SX series
And I could see a Straight Rhythm series with points and championships

Issues are in person viewership - it's too long - it needs a 180 somehow that is equalized inside vs out
Even with a bad ass run event it was a long show - maybe single elimination for the first few rounds (really adding pressure to qualifing and first round!) if it were a series

Make it 4 wide for early eliminations!!!

It can't replace the sport - I don't mean that by any stretch - but I feel it COULD help provide a show/package that allows pros to make real money in ways our sport doesn't now.

So who hates it and why

Coyote wrote:

would of been better had other manufacturers other than just ktm show up, oh yea, maybe some current riders other than 2 that have been retired for some time

Sure, it would have been nice to have some bigger names and more participation from the manufacturers but here's where you're wrong.

Current Riders

Jordon Smith
Shane McElrath
Josh Grant
Cameron McAdoo
Gared Steinke
Carson Brown, up and coming rider
Luke Renzland
AJ Catanzaro
Chase Marquier
Austin Politelli
Ryan Surratt
Chance Fullerton (off-road)
Ryan Sipes (off-road)
Mike Brown, still active

Manufacturers

Beta - Chance Fullerton

Honda - Colton Aeck

Husqvarna - Mike Brown, Carson Brown, Ryan Sipes, Gared Steinke, Josh Grant, Chase Marquier, Christophe Pourcel, Austin Politelli

Kawasaki - AJ Catanzaro

KTM - Ryan Dungey, Shane McElrath, Jordon Smith, Gared Steinke, Kyle Partridge, Ryan Morais

Suzuki - Cedric Soubeyras

TM - Ryan Surratt & Johnny Jelderda

Yamaha - Luke Renzland, Ryan Villopoto, Cameron McAdoo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/23/2018 2:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2018 2:36 AM

It's a cool event once per year but it's just not the skill set that I personally care about watching. I'd honestly rather watch a head to head race on series of corners than rhythm sections. The reason rhythm sections are cool in supercross is because the difficult jumps to clear are usually* coming into or out of a corner, so only the most talented guys attempt them. When I watch BMX (which is rare) I get the feeling (right or wrong) that the races are won and lost on the jumps or rollers. When I watch supercross and motocross I know that the race is won and lost in the corners. There is so much room for error in the corners and the rough terrain in our sport, somewhat negating the benefits of having the fastest bike. I feel like straight rhythm, although exciting to watch once a year, would put so much emphasis on having the fastest bike that it would start to take something away from the incredible athletes. I guess the bottom like is that I care less about who can be perfect in their timing and scrubs vs who pins it through rough breaking bumps and lays it over in a panic around the turn to make a pass. Just my take.

|

10/23/2018 3:07 AM

I can't think of anything that is "wrong" with it. IMO it can't get anymore "right." A few big names mixed in with good exposure for the lesser knowns that rarely lead a SX or MX event. Screaming two strokes on a beautiful fall evening under the lights. Hitting the reset button every 45secs keeps me from falling asleep when Tomac or Musquin check out on the second lap.

|

10/23/2018 3:57 AM

FlaNard wrote:

It gets very repetitive to me. I can't make it through one whole event let alone a series.

Feel the same.
Have a hard time watching all of it.
It's a show, nothing more, and really going downhill...
Can't wait for real SX to be back.

|

10/23/2018 4:21 AM

The worst thing about it is that we have to wait almost a year for it to come back around again. :-)

I got to actually see a Beta race and two TM's in the USA. That was nice. Heck, they even had a Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda.

Maybe they could reduce the time from one race finishing until the next race goes? Keep the excitement going even more?

|

10/23/2018 7:11 AM

FlaNard wrote:

It gets very repetitive to me. I can't make it through one whole event let alone a series.

Fair enough

Watching sx run away main events is like watching paint dry for me

Outdoors are literally what I put on for a nap...granted I nap like a baby at the actual track in between motos...
Moto lullaby !

|

10/23/2018 7:15 AM

therealhammer wrote:

1 a year is plenty for this event . At Red Bull we are with it enough to know more doesn't mean better. 1 a year is plenty if the athletes from other teams join us .

Put on a collegiate national championship

Our sport needs some sort of push down into lower levels...

I mean damn ninja warrior college is a thing...

|

10/23/2018 7:34 AM

Had a buddy stop by that isn't into moto and he watched the entire broadcast with me. He was into it, this hardly ever happens when I introduce non moto people to Supercross.

|

10/23/2018 7:41 AM

FlaNard wrote:

It gets very repetitive to me. I can't make it through one whole event let alone a series.

Derek Harris wrote:

Fair enough

Watching sx run away main events is like watching paint dry for me

Outdoors are literally what I put on for a nap...granted I nap like a baby at the actual track in between motos...
Moto lullaby !

Not if it was 2 strokes though..............

I agree on watching 4 stroke runaways. Rare to see a finish where its last lap, last few corners battling.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/23/2018 7:45 AM

I liked it and watched the entire show and was entertained. It can not replace the thrill of watching a race with 22-40 guys but it certainly is worth tuning into.

Seeing that the stands were not packed I’m going to try and see the next one n person

|