What is the value of advertising in SX/MX?

MX Home Loan
12/1/2013 10:19am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2016 5:07pm
What is the value of brand advertising in SX/MX?

Why would an outside corporate / industry sponsor want to have their brand logo seen on a rider's bike during an AMA Supercross or Lucas Oil Outdoor Motocross race?

Please share your thoughts......
|
ATKpilot99
12/1/2013 10:31am
To major outside sponsors like Coca Cola, McDonalds etc. not much. It's still viewed as a niche extreme sport and also their logo isn't all that easy to see on the shroud of a dirt bike during race action.
LocDawg
12/1/2013 10:36am
not much lol
The Rock
12/1/2013 10:39am
You should talk to John Slater at SRP International since he has the experience of nailing down a three million dollar deal with Sobe back in the day all tied to his Slater Skins.
lumpy790
12/1/2013 11:00am
SX/MA exposure is relatively cheap compared to other sports.

The Shop

NV825
Fantasy
2711th
12/1/2013 11:07am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
To major outside sponsors like Coca Cola, McDonalds etc. not much. It's still viewed as a niche extreme sport and also their logo isn't all that...
To major outside sponsors like Coca Cola, McDonalds etc. not much. It's still viewed as a niche extreme sport and also their logo isn't all that easy to see on the shroud of a dirt bike during race action.
Coca Cola is in sx/mx big time through Monster
TeamGreen
12/1/2013 11:21am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
To major outside sponsors like Coca Cola, McDonalds etc. not much. It's still viewed as a niche extreme sport and also their logo isn't all that...
NV825 wrote:
Really?

And what's their association w/ Monster/Hansen?
slipdog
12/1/2013 11:29am
Brand recognition/tax write off
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
12/1/2013 11:47am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
NV825 wrote:
Coca cola is only a distributor of Monster they have no ownership in Monster so what does coke gain in MX/SX from Monster ?
HenryA
12/1/2013 11:57am
The Rock wrote:
You should talk to John Slater at [url=http://www.srpinternational.com ]SRP International[/url] since he has the experience of nailing down a three million dollar deal with Sobe back...
You should talk to John Slater at SRP International since he has the experience of nailing down a three million dollar deal with Sobe back in the day all tied to his Slater Skins.
That is the most hideous thing I've ever seen. Good god.
12/1/2013 12:02pm
Brand advertising is always about top of mind awareness. It's not there to make you run out and make a purchase when you leave the arena but to make you consider the brand first when you have a need for it.

As far as for our sport, it's a really good demographic when you consider that it is aimed at the 18-54 age group that tends to have (at least before our current administration) a great deal of discretionary funds to spend. I haven't seen a rate card for the sport but I would expect it to be reasonably priced.

We have some challenges for advertisers as well. We don't get the live product into all of the population centers, we do a horrible job of getting the local community outside of our sport involved, and the sport doesn't lend itself to the same excitement for broadcast as it does in person.

Personally, I always try to buy from someone who supports the sport. Discount Tire was the first choice for new rubber this year for one of my cars (and I think they are missing the boat by not carrying motorcycle tires), I still wear Wrangler's over Levi's, and when I choose to punish my body I choose Monster or Red Bull.
NV825
Fantasy
2711th
12/1/2013 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2013 12:40pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
NV825 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Really?

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/brands/all/#TCCC

They are somewhat involved through monster as it says that Monster is used under license. So they have a stake through in mx/sx through Monster and I see that as a big reason why they won't bring Coke, Sprite, etc into the sport. Let Hansen (now Monster Bev) spend all the money on the advertising and sponsorship and reap in the rewards, even if it's just distribution.
12/1/2013 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2013 12:14pm
Seems like companies like Geico, Addias, PPG, Lucas Oils and many others think there is a good return on their advertising dollars. Compare the return and cost for other racing (Nascar, Indy Car, Sports Car & many others) it is very good deal, like Lumpy states. Not mention fans are very brand loyal.
TeamGreen
12/1/2013 1:14pm
Demographic Penetration and Marketing to Specific Dem's is what's going on.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
12/1/2013 2:10pm
What is the value of brand advertising in SX/MX? Why would an outside corporate / industry sponsor want to have their brand logo seen on a...

Why would an outside corporate / industry sponsor want to have their brand logo seen on a rider's bike during an AMA Supercross or Lucas Oil Outdoor Motocross race?

It's priceless, bro.
pitbike502
12/1/2013 2:16pm
What is the value of brand advertising in SX/MX? Why would an outside corporate / industry sponsor want to have their brand logo seen on a...

you should be having someone in your office run numbers on what is local to you and at your best advantage. National level prob isn't worth your investment, but the numbers you could potentially pull from CA races might very well be. PLus its a write off so if it doesn't attract the ROI you hoped for, you can still gain something from it. Not too mention industry passes if youre a true fan, the behind the scenes deals are incredible.

Have you thought about sponsoring individual riders to fill your needs? I can name a few riders who could use the assistance, and would put your name in the mix with more enthusiasm than ALLI looking for a check
IWreckALot
12/1/2013 2:49pm
NV825 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Really?

NV825 wrote:
http://www.coca-colacompany.com/brands/all/#TCCC They are somewhat involved through monster as it says that Monster is used under license. So they have a stake through in mx/sx through Monster...
http://www.coca-colacompany.com/brands/all/#TCCC

They are somewhat involved through monster as it says that Monster is used under license. So they have a stake through in mx/sx through Monster and I see that as a big reason why they won't bring Coke, Sprite, etc into the sport. Let Hansen (now Monster Bev) spend all the money on the advertising and sponsorship and reap in the rewards, even if it's just distribution.
Back when I worked for coca cola, they owned rockstar but sold it obviously. The energy drink brands changed hands several times. When i worked for coca cola, monster was licensed and owned (I think) by dr. Pepper. It's quite an interesting industry.
Truckdriver
12/1/2013 4:08pm
I helped pitch to outside sponsors in '07 and we had all the numbers from audience to what John Q public sees when your driving down the highway in your semi. We had lots of data, but still not the numbers to draw in the big boys.
I think that if it was a clothing mfg or something that hits the 14-24 group, you could tie it to skating, bmx etc. sell it as a package, that might work.
It s an age group and type of shopper that had specific needs and wants. You have to target that when pitching. It has potential. Just a tough cookie to crack. Good luck.
SRP33
12/1/2013 5:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2013 5:38pm
MX Loans at the end of the day it is all about the value of TV Impressions think of it as a commercial.
example in 2010 red bud live NBC Trey Trey Conard had 1.31 seconds of Honda on his Jersey impression value was $10.000 he had a total of 7.04 minutes valued at 56K
Bret Metcalf had 33 seconds of impressions valued at 82K

It is all about Advertising

We are putting a team together if your interested I can guarantee a better ROI then any other team on the planet
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
12/1/2013 7:04pm
LocDawg wrote:
not much lol
And someone wonders why he's sitting in the corner. It's time to try and raise the collective IQ again.
TeamGreen
12/1/2013 7:14pm
I've seen more Ridonkulous shit about Energy Drinks and their "ownership" in here than I can...wait...oh, shit?

This is the Inter-Webs: NEVER-MIND!

Russell Weiner. Look into it.

MNST on the NASDAQ. Look into that, too.
CASH476
12/1/2013 7:44pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Coca cola is only a distributor of Monster they have no ownership in Monster so what does coke gain in MX/SX from Monster ?
Does Coke distribute Monster for free? They must be a nice bunch of people Smile
Socket946
12/1/2013 8:03pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Where do retailers buy their product? From Distributors...

If people see the product in SX, they buy from the shelves, and then the retailer needs to buy from somewhere. If the distributor is coke...then they get PAID.
BobbyM
12/1/2013 8:12pm

the event is irrelevant...it's the eyeballs that matter. sx/mx have little to do with this subject.
jloucks742
12/1/2013 8:23pm
I think that maybe the size of advertisement has just a little to do with it but maybe the size of the company's and or teams going after sponsorships. When you see nascar teams going after sponsorships they are these huge race team/orginazations that are seeking sponsorships and are big race efforts. In mx/sx they are much smaller and the small teams have a hard time finding big name brand sponsors. Ever wonder why the big factories always have a title sponsors? i could be completely wrong but hey it wouldnt be the first time. Glad dodge sponsored rch but that didnt have a say when i bought a new truck in January. I just wish that the brooks/mcgrath team got a better title sponsor before they shutdown
MX Home Loan
12/1/2013 9:02pm
Brand advertising is always about top of mind awareness. It's not there to make you run out and make a purchase when you leave the arena...
Brand advertising is always about top of mind awareness. It's not there to make you run out and make a purchase when you leave the arena but to make you consider the brand first when you have a need for it.

As far as for our sport, it's a really good demographic when you consider that it is aimed at the 18-54 age group that tends to have (at least before our current administration) a great deal of discretionary funds to spend. I haven't seen a rate card for the sport but I would expect it to be reasonably priced.

We have some challenges for advertisers as well. We don't get the live product into all of the population centers, we do a horrible job of getting the local community outside of our sport involved, and the sport doesn't lend itself to the same excitement for broadcast as it does in person.

Personally, I always try to buy from someone who supports the sport. Discount Tire was the first choice for new rubber this year for one of my cars (and I think they are missing the boat by not carrying motorcycle tires), I still wear Wrangler's over Levi's, and when I choose to punish my body I choose Monster or Red Bull.
Very well said VintageDave393.

As far as our sport not lending 'itself to the same excitement for broadcast as it does in person'......what do you think could/should be done differently to improve that?

Thank you for your valued time, sir.
MX Home Loan
12/1/2013 9:12pm

BobbyM wrote:
the event is irrelevant...it's the eyeballs that matter. sx/mx have little to do with this subject.
Thanks BobbyM.

I'm sure you have some good points to be made.....SX/MX have everything to do with this subject since they are my life's passion and the two motorsport disciplines lack consistent outside corporate advertising. Are you saying that the lack of 'eyeballs that matter' are missing from TV viewing or are you directing that at the actual live event viewing....or both?

Any thoughts as to how we can improve it or make change?

Thanks again for your time.
MX Home Loan
12/1/2013 10:55pm
I helped pitch to outside sponsors in '07 and we had all the numbers from audience to what John Q public sees when your driving down...
I helped pitch to outside sponsors in '07 and we had all the numbers from audience to what John Q public sees when your driving down the highway in your semi. We had lots of data, but still not the numbers to draw in the big boys.
I think that if it was a clothing mfg or something that hits the 14-24 group, you could tie it to skating, bmx etc. sell it as a package, that might work.
It s an age group and type of shopper that had specific needs and wants. You have to target that when pitching. It has potential. Just a tough cookie to crack. Good luck.
Yes, you are right Truckdriver about the demographic data and appealing to the right shopper / market. I know the data is very close to what SRP33 stated in regards to Trey Canard's TV impressions valued at over $50K for just over 7 minutes.

Think about this for a minute:

People start businesses and companies to generate revenue. They must do this by selling their product/services. A business must always segregate a specific advertising budget to put towards those avenues to which it feels best to promote itself in order to generate more sales.....and inevitably, more revenue to grow the business. The larger the logo/promotion is, the easier it is for the consumer to see and the more likely it is that the consumer will remember the company logo/promotion/campaign when making a buying decision. There is also the psychological sell that since the logo is 'bigger' that it is somehow 'that much more important', which is sad but true. This is also combined with the largest volume of eyes that see it (as BobbyM referenced) the greater the opportunity for the brand/logo/ad campaign to influence a buyer, hence why highly trafficked freeway billboards cost more than those less traveled and the longer your TV commercial..the more you pay.

Now with that in mind.....the fact that our sport gets a great amount of TV broadcasting already, which during those time slots charge tens of thousands of dollars for commercial ad space, why are corporate sponsors/advertisers (even those supporting NASCAR) still not feeling that AMA SX / Lucas Oil Outdoor MX is a viable ROI?? Shhhh...don't answer just yet....think about this hard.......this one single answer could quite simply change the course of history for these two phenomenal sports!!

Google Image Search - 2013 AMA Supercross (just to keep this up to date).......now if you were an outside industry business looking to jump into this sport and promote your brand what would the immediate RED FLAG be??.........YOU CAN'T SEE ANY CURRENT ADVERTISING LOGOS ON ANYBODY'S BIKES (sorry Geico but you still deserve much bigger)!!!!!! WTF people!

Corporate sponsors/advertisers don't want to take part because they know they're logo will not be seen = 0% ROI! This is why you see a Brooks/McGrath team failing and an RCH barely hanging on to Dodge and Suzuki support (Hart rumored to have paid $300K+ out of own pocket to keep things going). JWR may not be far off. What would happen to Mitch Payton's team if Monster were to back out?? Why do so many companies enter in as Title/Associate sponsors for one-to-two years and then they're gone?.....Little-to-NO ROI due to no visibility (bullshit pit rigs and parties are just a front for NO coverage where it counts....on the track, in the battle...which is where the 'eyes matter' and the main reason people buy tickets or tune in on TV!

The dinosaur mentality running our sport is somehow 'happy' with smaller logo/ad space and think that even smaller plastics is the way to go and 'look so cool'...which should only be the case for the 'factory rider' that is forced to run that due to production model criterions. Historically, our sport is like NASCAR not running hoods or fenders and only advertising on the car bumpers. How long do you think NASCAR would survive without 3-5 ft. ad space placement on their cars and were maxed out to 12-14 inch signage space??? Don't answer.....just think about it....really think about it.

That is the main reason NASCAR garners more advertising investments.....those corporations are paying to actually be seen on the race machine during battle, period! No current sponsor in our sport is paying the extra money to actually be seen on the machine when the TV cameras hit it....and if it IS seen they got lucky! They're only paying to be associated with the rider's likeness and achievements. How long do we think WHEATIES is going to be around with Dungey? How much actual on-bike visual coverage do you think their going to get?? As stoked as he/KTM is with that deal, imagine if WHEATIES knew they were getting a 2-4ft. banner on his bike.....imagine how much more he'd be worth....or any other rider on the gate for that matter! The camera's going to hit you whether you're being lapped or battling for first....are you best utilizing that time to capitalize? Can your sponsors/advertisers be seen?

What if, when comprising the contract, virtually every time the camera's hit Dungey WHEATIES knew that their logo would be seen........and not just seen, but seen in a sport where no other logos are......now what is the value of advertising in SX/MX?
SRP33
12/2/2013 5:03am
I helped pitch to outside sponsors in '07 and we had all the numbers from audience to what John Q public sees when your driving down...
Yes, you are right Truckdriver about the demographic data and appealing to the right shopper / market. I know the data is very close to what...
Yes, you are right Truckdriver about the demographic data and appealing to the right shopper / market. I know the data is very close to what SRP33 stated in regards to Trey Canard's TV impressions valued at over $50K for just over 7 minutes.

Think about this for a minute:

People start businesses and companies to generate revenue. They must do this by selling their product/services. A business must always segregate a specific advertising budget to put towards those avenues to which it feels best to promote itself in order to generate more sales.....and inevitably, more revenue to grow the business. The larger the logo/promotion is, the easier it is for the consumer to see and the more likely it is that the consumer will remember the company logo/promotion/campaign when making a buying decision. There is also the psychological sell that since the logo is 'bigger' that it is somehow 'that much more important', which is sad but true. This is also combined with the largest volume of eyes that see it (as BobbyM referenced) the greater the opportunity for the brand/logo/ad campaign to influence a buyer, hence why highly trafficked freeway billboards cost more than those less traveled and the longer your TV commercial..the more you pay.

Now with that in mind.....the fact that our sport gets a great amount of TV broadcasting already, which during those time slots charge tens of thousands of dollars for commercial ad space, why are corporate sponsors/advertisers (even those supporting NASCAR) still not feeling that AMA SX / Lucas Oil Outdoor MX is a viable ROI?? Shhhh...don't answer just yet....think about this hard.......this one single answer could quite simply change the course of history for these two phenomenal sports!!

Google Image Search - 2013 AMA Supercross (just to keep this up to date).......now if you were an outside industry business looking to jump into this sport and promote your brand what would the immediate RED FLAG be??.........YOU CAN'T SEE ANY CURRENT ADVERTISING LOGOS ON ANYBODY'S BIKES (sorry Geico but you still deserve much bigger)!!!!!! WTF people!

Corporate sponsors/advertisers don't want to take part because they know they're logo will not be seen = 0% ROI! This is why you see a Brooks/McGrath team failing and an RCH barely hanging on to Dodge and Suzuki support (Hart rumored to have paid $300K+ out of own pocket to keep things going). JWR may not be far off. What would happen to Mitch Payton's team if Monster were to back out?? Why do so many companies enter in as Title/Associate sponsors for one-to-two years and then they're gone?.....Little-to-NO ROI due to no visibility (bullshit pit rigs and parties are just a front for NO coverage where it counts....on the track, in the battle...which is where the 'eyes matter' and the main reason people buy tickets or tune in on TV!

The dinosaur mentality running our sport is somehow 'happy' with smaller logo/ad space and think that even smaller plastics is the way to go and 'look so cool'...which should only be the case for the 'factory rider' that is forced to run that due to production model criterions. Historically, our sport is like NASCAR not running hoods or fenders and only advertising on the car bumpers. How long do you think NASCAR would survive without 3-5 ft. ad space placement on their cars and were maxed out to 12-14 inch signage space??? Don't answer.....just think about it....really think about it.

That is the main reason NASCAR garners more advertising investments.....those corporations are paying to actually be seen on the race machine during battle, period! No current sponsor in our sport is paying the extra money to actually be seen on the machine when the TV cameras hit it....and if it IS seen they got lucky! They're only paying to be associated with the rider's likeness and achievements. How long do we think WHEATIES is going to be around with Dungey? How much actual on-bike visual coverage do you think their going to get?? As stoked as he/KTM is with that deal, imagine if WHEATIES knew they were getting a 2-4ft. banner on his bike.....imagine how much more he'd be worth....or any other rider on the gate for that matter! The camera's going to hit you whether you're being lapped or battling for first....are you best utilizing that time to capitalize? Can your sponsors/advertisers be seen?

What if, when comprising the contract, virtually every time the camera's hit Dungey WHEATIES knew that their logo would be seen........and not just seen, but seen in a sport where no other logos are......now what is the value of advertising in SX/MX?
I couldn't agree more
in the end it all come down to the basics and that is TV time creates ROI
social media is an added bonus TV first
IWreckALot
12/2/2013 5:52am
What happened to the dude that had that bigass advertisement billboard that he was willing to put on everyone's bike.
mauidex
12/2/2013 9:26am
hey home loan................not sure what you're actually asking or interested in but you may want to subscribe to sports business journal and joyce julius report.............the big companies with the big paychecks live and die by JJR..............

also there is alot more behind the scenes value in NASCAR due to B2B opportunities and investments than you are giving credit to.............

Mitch is the best at it and always has been giving the sponsors great bang for the buck.........started with the "team" concept in early 90's........blue hondas???!???!??!.....blasphemy!!! but that was the start of brand awareness in this sport..............good luck in whatever you're doing..........you'll need it.......

Post a reply to: What is the value of advertising in SX/MX?

The Latest