What is the most sketchy track you have ever ridden?

Donovan759
1/26/2018 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 12:30pm
There's a woods loop near me that has a 30 foot straight drop if you overshoot one of the turns.. Technically not a track but its sketchy AF.
bh84
Fantasy
1853rd
1/26/2018 12:37pm
Montreal SX 2011. Jump faces were so steep you couldn't walk up them. Whoops the bikes could barely get through. Add to that the fact that I was a first year pro in Canada and we had some of the top AMA guys there racing against us. I nearly killed a camera man after botching a hip jump and flying off the track. He yelled something at me in french.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
1/26/2018 2:48pm
There was a beautiful natural track back in the hills near Pescadero on the SF penninsula that ran a couple times in the late 70's. It was a really nice track, hilly, but no real watering system and really dusty when dry, which is when it ran. There was a downhill that dropped into a narrow creek and started up the other side, and you can imagine how the boggy mud in the creek got deeper with a pretty sharp edge in and out, like a mini Blackwater mudhole. The problem is the dust was so bad your options were tip toeing down and getting plowed into or hitting that blind at speed.

Its the one time I've pulled off because I didn't think it was worth it. The only dust I've seen worse is desert silt. Pretty classic NorCal coastal hills MX; beautiful at Fall/Winter/early Spring, hard pack and dusty Summer

They also had difficulty getting ambulances in and out; a couple of hour plus breaks waiting on new ambulance after someone else carted off.

So much potential in that track, but wrong time and not enough infrastructure to compensate.
Johnny Ringo
1/26/2018 2:56pm
mx510 wrote:
There was a track here in Washington that had a sketchy built Supercross track. Filthy Phil would definitely call this one deathcross. The main track was...
There was a track here in Washington that had a sketchy built Supercross track. Filthy Phil would definitely call this one deathcross. The main track was ok, but the supercross track had landing ramps the builder would only pack from each side (he would never roll the top so the landing was a perfect peak). Back then I was racing the B class and would go and ride this track every weekend. Took me about a month but I was finally able to link the whole track together jumping lines.
You gotta be talking about Toes?

The Shop

socalmx716
1/26/2018 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 2:58pm
Glen Helen 1997, 14 years old on a 125 that i couldn't reach the ground on Thursday afternoon the week after the national. I shit myself about 12 times.
50dippin
1/26/2018 3:51pm
Milestone on a weekend
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
1/26/2018 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 4:07pm
I rode a track built in a rice paddy in Vietnam, not long after the war. It was explosive. You really had to be on your toes or wouldn’t leave with them.
Polarbear332
Fantasy
692nd
1/27/2018 8:19pm
kunk wrote:
I almost hit a piece of equipment in the track and got sick on the trash can chicken
X3. Went there a few times in the early 2000’s, and the track was like concrete. Jump faces were horrible, and people were all over the...
X3. Went there a few times in the early 2000’s, and the track was like concrete. Jump faces were horrible, and people were all over the place. The last time I went out there my pops got knocked out in the back section. Haven’t been back since. Heard they have freestyle ramps out there for all of the Bro’s now.

Boondoxx is right up there with Shady Grove.
Wells423 wrote:
Agreed. From the homeless guy who took your money to the burn barrel hotdogs to the concrete surface. That place SUCKED! Did any of y’all have...
Agreed. From the homeless guy who took your money to the burn barrel hotdogs to the concrete surface. That place SUCKED! Did any of y’all have the pleasure of riding the “sx” track back by the shady grove bridge? Thing was so scary. I’ll be a dick and throw lucky landings in the ring too. Track isn’t horrible but it draws out a very green crowd and seems every time I’m there someone screws up a jump and flys off the vertical berms #nets
Only been out there once, and the track was decent. The track has a lot of potential, and their Supercross style track isn’t too bad. But like you said, a lot of squirly riders.

I will commend them on the fact they watered the track during the middle of the day. Only a select few places will water the track in the middle of the day during summer.
josh8811
1/28/2018 12:04am
Kincaid, Anchorage AK.
redrider400
1/28/2018 2:42am
Bremen MX in like 97. Everything was so big and peaked. No room for error.
redrider400
1/28/2018 2:44am
josh8811 wrote:
Kincaid, Anchorage AK.
As a fellow Alaskan. I would have to agree, lol!
7GP
1/28/2018 2:56am
kunk wrote:
I almost hit a piece of equipment in the track and got sick on the trash can chicken
X3. Went there a few times in the early 2000’s, and the track was like concrete. Jump faces were horrible, and people were all over the...
X3. Went there a few times in the early 2000’s, and the track was like concrete. Jump faces were horrible, and people were all over the place. The last time I went out there my pops got knocked out in the back section. Haven’t been back since. Heard they have freestyle ramps out there for all of the Bro’s now.

Boondoxx is right up there with Shady Grove.
Wells423 wrote:
Agreed. From the homeless guy who took your money to the burn barrel hotdogs to the concrete surface. That place SUCKED! Did any of y’all have...
Agreed. From the homeless guy who took your money to the burn barrel hotdogs to the concrete surface. That place SUCKED! Did any of y’all have the pleasure of riding the “sx” track back by the shady grove bridge? Thing was so scary. I’ll be a dick and throw lucky landings in the ring too. Track isn’t horrible but it draws out a very green crowd and seems every time I’m there someone screws up a jump and flys off the vertical berms #nets
First thing I thought of when I saw this thread was Shady Grove in TX. Multiple quads going backwards on the track made me pack it in. Although, there’s some trail areas in NorCal that are known to be extremely sketchy. Scary stuff like meth heads setting up traps.
JustMX
1/28/2018 4:28am
Reseca beach motocross in North Georgia middle 80's.

Built a track in slat/red clay. Had no way to water anything except the start. You would leave the start and sweep over a hill. Once you went over the hill it was a dust bowl.

It had a bottom straight that went along a ditch that they had pushed trees into when they built the track. During a race a guy came up missing. His gf was raising holy hell and finally convinced them to hold up racing. He had run off into that ravine. He hit one of the down trees and snapped the steering head on his cr 500. He was just coming to when they found him.

Trees everywhere along the track, stumps on the edges, and dust so blinding and choking that if you didn't get the holeshot you were lost.

I know sometimes us older guys wax sentimental about the good old days but I can honestly tell you when I think about that place I dont know wtf we were doing racing there.

Motocross has changed a lot, and not all bad.

Now quit your whinning.
1/28/2018 7:11am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2018 7:13am
There used to be this track in PA called Rausch Creek that's now closed unfortunately. I rode there a lot as a kid, and have many fond memories of that place. I wish I could go back and ride it one more time because it was so awesome. Anyways, they had this woods loop that wasn't really a trail, it was more like an easy mx type track through the woods. It was super fun, but there was a couple places if you went over the berm it was pretty much like a cliff. The bad part wasn't just the insane fall, but if no one saw you go off the edge then you could be stuck down there for awhile until someone finally noticed. There was a couple times I remember guys being hauled out after ending up down there. That place had so many tracks too, atleast 4 or 5 + many miles of trails. It's a shame it's gone now.
1/28/2018 12:16pm
Eagles Nest on the 6 nations reserve in Southern Ontario.

Hard pack, absolutely horrible if it was moist in any way.
Irrigation culverts and pipes that at one point were buried under the surface but had worked their way up.
The "fill" for the jumps was old hunks of concrete, cinder blocks, tires etc... Always awesome to try and remember where on the landings there was a giant hole edged with square blocks of concrete... It was the last place I rode at with a legit whoop section though, which is something I wish more tracks had.

At one point, it was obviously a really great place to go, but they had let it go.

Post a reply to: What is the most sketchy track you have ever ridden?

The Latest