What is the final word on AER spring conversion kits?

bents
Fantasy
694th
6/3/2020 10:04pm
Thanks mxjeff this seems to be the prevailing sentiment.
6/3/2020 10:31pm
I've been really liking the air in my AER48 since i went with RaceTech Gold Valves. Seems that a compression stack with float is critical on this fork to allow it to feel super plush like a coil spring. My current setup runs 170psi in the air chamber and still feels plush.
bents
Fantasy
694th
6/4/2020 6:24am
Wow-170psi?? I can't imagine that. Those gold valves must alter the characteristics substantially for you to run that much air pressure.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1285th
6/4/2020 7:00am
jpatz319 wrote:
I just recently had N2D convert my AER forks to the Carbon Lucky kit. I prefer it more than I did the KYB SSS forks on...
I just recently had N2D convert my AER forks to the Carbon Lucky kit. I prefer it more than I did the KYB SSS forks on my Yamaha.
Jesseb663 wrote:
How much did they charge you?
I had my forks converted to the carbon lucky kit and had my shock re-valved with a bladder conversion for ~$1800. In that price, there were also some replacement seals and bushings.

The Shop

6/4/2020 11:01am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2020 11:02am
bents wrote:
Wow-170psi?? I can't imagine that. Those gold valves must alter the characteristics substantially for you to run that much air pressure.
Yeah, like i said, the key is in the float on the compression stack. There's very little damping at slow fork velocities due to the float/gap between the face shim and the midvalve piston, allowing the fork to move easier initially, which is your traction in corners and stuff. But the damping really ramps up fast when its needed. The stack itself would be way too stiff if there wasn't any float, but the overly stiff stack behind the float gap allows for damping to ramp up quickly while still allowing an initially plush feel.

For reference, typical "B" class motocross setups will run about 0.5mm of float on the midvalve compression stack. My setting is more of a "A" class/pro setting, so i run a little less float than that, but it still moves way easier than it used to. Hell, the fork actually slightly compresses when i drop the bike off the stand... something you usually only see happen with coil springs!
PTshox
6/4/2020 12:59pm
Midvales in general have too little float from the OEM for the average rider. The average guy that buys one of these bikes isn't trying to skim supercross woops!

Midvales can be very restrictive (harsh on chop etc) espeically for off road.

Post a reply to: What is the final word on AER spring conversion kits?

The Latest