What is the fastest vintage race?

Edited Date/Time 11/24/2020 4:53pm
I'm curious as the title says, what is the fastest vintage race? I mean this in terms of speed and talent that show up to race at one time.

I'm assuming VMXdN?

What about in the USA?

What class is usually the fastest?
|
bh
11/17/2020 2:43pm
If I had to guess I would think the Daytona vintage race would be up there. That’s all I got for “big” vintage races in the south east.
36Wheeler
11/17/2020 2:44pm
I have only seen Mike brown race at the VMXDN here in England but I would be shocked if anyone can ride a vintage bike faster than that. Anyone faster is probably a current pro focusing on racing new bikes. A few others like Neville Bradshaw are also still lightning fast and enjoy racing vintage bikes
11/17/2020 4:49pm
36Wheeler wrote:
I have only seen Mike brown race at the VMXDN here in England but I would be shocked if anyone can ride a vintage bike faster...
I have only seen Mike brown race at the VMXDN here in England but I would be shocked if anyone can ride a vintage bike faster than that. Anyone faster is probably a current pro focusing on racing new bikes. A few others like Neville Bradshaw are also still lightning fast and enjoy racing vintage bikes
I love watching Nev ride. Dude rips anything under him.

The Shop

bultokid
11/19/2020 7:29am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 7:33am
Some fast boys around the Texas area vintage races. Trampas Parker HAULS the mail....he's not a 2x World Champ for no reason :-)

He put on a AHRMA vintage fest couple weeks back in OK....trials, cross country, vintage and post vintage mx. Even did a vintage dirt track on a baseball field Saturday Night under the lights...the Bultaco Astros were owning that sucker. Races were held in city park, had a blast
mx317
11/19/2020 7:36am
It used to be Mid-Ohio, but now it is Diamond Don's or Unadilla.
OldPro277
11/19/2020 8:07am
Mid Ohio and Unadilla draw a lot of the same crowd since they are relatively close, and draw some fast guys for sure. Daytona is only a couple of years in so they haven't drawn huge crowds yet. I've never been to DD ,but based on the posted results it appears they get a good turn out of the "fast dudes" . In particular the 100cc Tripes Revenge class seems to be loaded with fast Ex-Pro's.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
11/19/2020 8:39am
I'm curious as the title says, what is the fastest vintage race? I mean this in terms of speed and talent that show up to race...
I'm curious as the title says, what is the fastest vintage race? I mean this in terms of speed and talent that show up to race at one time.

I'm assuming VMXdN?

What about in the USA?

What class is usually the fastest?
Who down votes this question??!? It's legit, has genuine subject matter..... Guessing whoever doesn't understand that there are MANY guys over the "old" age of 35 on tracks across the planet that can literally hand you your ass
11/19/2020 3:33pm
Diamond Dons is a big deal in Jefferson Texas. 5 miles from my house
Have you ever raced it? I'm thinking it would be a big blast to go and race on some evo or straight vintage bikes at speed. I've done one vintage race and I was on an 89 YZ 250, that bike barked.

Just wondering where the competition is in vintage racing. Sounds really fun to go anywhere, but the competitor in me wants a good clean old school knuckle duster.
11/19/2020 4:04pm
Have you ever raced it? I'm thinking it would be a big blast to go and race on some evo or straight vintage bikes at speed...
Have you ever raced it? I'm thinking it would be a big blast to go and race on some evo or straight vintage bikes at speed. I've done one vintage race and I was on an 89 YZ 250, that bike barked.

Just wondering where the competition is in vintage racing. Sounds really fun to go anywhere, but the competitor in me wants a good clean old school knuckle duster.
Yes I raced it twice. Usually I’m racing Sx as it’s always in April. I usually ride my 450 the Monday after as the track gets decently rough. Didn’t race this year but track was a blast the Monday after
Snoqualmie
11/19/2020 5:02pm
Any vintage race that has Broc Glover on board the Dallas Nyblod Honda CR125. Catch them at the RacerX Boise InterAM in April (I think)

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
11/19/2020 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 9:06pm
Dimond Dons 100cc class.Guy Cooper, Doug Dubach,Scott Burnworth etc etc and you better have a dialed in and strong running 100 or you will get smoked.
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3835th
11/19/2020 6:31pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Dimond Dons 100cc class.Guy Cooper, Doug Dubach,Scott Burnworth etc etc and you better have a dialed in and strong running 100 or you will get smoked.
Diamond Dons is always big but the 100 cc race at Donie was huge this year!
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
11/20/2020 3:27pm
Yeah Diamond Dons 100cc class revenge class is where the talent is. Trampas still hauls ass when he wants to.

VMXdN is a little different than a lot of American vintage motocross racing because they’re racing more modern bikes than a lot of our classes allow. They race a lot of mid-late 80s and early 90s stuff. They don’t even have a short travel pre 75 class.

I raced VMXdN and my riding was pathetic but it was a hell of a time. Never mind the talent (holy crap can those boys ride the mud), there are just a lot of good people across the pond into vintage motocross.
Spudnut
11/20/2020 6:45pm
bultokid wrote:
Some fast boys around the Texas area vintage races. Trampas Parker HAULS the mail....he's not a 2x World Champ for no reason :-) He put on...
Some fast boys around the Texas area vintage races. Trampas Parker HAULS the mail....he's not a 2x World Champ for no reason :-)

He put on a AHRMA vintage fest couple weeks back in OK....trials, cross country, vintage and post vintage mx. Even did a vintage dirt track on a baseball field Saturday Night under the lights...the Bultaco Astros were owning that sucker. Races were held in city park, had a blast
That is freaking awesome!!!!!
tmphotoart
Fantasy
1144th
11/22/2020 12:37pm
Scott Burnworth's SoCal Vintage MX Classic - Glen Helen - Best VMX race on the Westcoast!!!

Shaun Kalos on YZ100

Kurt Nicoll CR250

Scott Burnworth RM125

Todd Dehoop RM125

philG
11/23/2020 12:11pm
Vets Des Nations is way faster than MX Rewind.

There are no names as such at Rewind, some decent lads but i dont recall any top Ex-Pro's , VMXdN on the other hand is stacked, as has been said, Mike Brown, Nicoll, Dowd and Dubach race the regular classes as well as the main races, which are proper quick.

Glen Helen Vets is fast , for sure , but they arent on old bikes so its not a fair comparison.
moto804
11/23/2020 12:32pm
Not going to put out any claims at it being the "fastest" group, but being that you are Midwest based, you might check this group out:

Midwestvintagemx.com

They are a little more northern than you though...

They run a really good series on some fun tracks. Their year end "Race of Champions" is a really cool team event with 5 riders on 5 different eras of bikes.

As with most orgs, 2021 schedule is still up in the air.
kage173
11/23/2020 2:26pm
Never been there, but Diamond Don's seems to be a pretty big deal.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
11/23/2020 2:57pm
Have you ever raced it? I'm thinking it would be a big blast to go and race on some evo or straight vintage bikes at speed...

Umm, Guy Cooper ring any bells? Trampas Parker? Trey Jorski, Doug Dubach, Brad Lackey, Warren Reid, among others, have all made appearances at DDs.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
11/23/2020 4:03pm
Yes I raced it twice. Usually I’m racing Sx as it’s always in April. I usually ride my 450 the Monday after as the track gets...
Yes I raced it twice. Usually I’m racing Sx as it’s always in April. I usually ride my 450 the Monday after as the track gets decently rough. Didn’t race this year but track was a blast the Monday after
We TVRC guys had a lot of fun watching you and Brandon Glenn whipping those five hundies flat at Johnsonville a couple of years ago. Flicking them around like 125s.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
11/23/2020 4:10pm
Yes I raced it twice. Usually I’m racing Sx as it’s always in April. I usually ride my 450 the Monday after as the track gets...
We TVRC guys had a lot of fun watching you and Brandon Glenn whipping those five hundies flat at Johnsonville a couple of years ago. Flicking...
We TVRC guys had a lot of fun watching you and Brandon Glenn whipping those five hundies flat at Johnsonville a couple of years ago. Flicking them around like 125s.
In fact, I think this is you.

11/23/2020 5:46pm
We TVRC guys had a lot of fun watching you and Brandon Glenn whipping those five hundies flat at Johnsonville a couple of years ago. Flicking...
In fact, I think this is you. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/23/461031/s1200_21551825_10210431939058687_5234129851925027758_o_10210431939058687.jpg[/img]
In fact, I think this is you.

Yes that’s me. That is a 95 CR 250. I also raced a 84 RM 250

11/24/2020 12:27pm
The "crown jewels" would be VMXdN, Diamond Don's, SoCal Vintage MX Classic, Daytona Vintage SX, Unadilla MX Rewind. Florida vintage series also has a "mx des states" race in February that always draws a good crowd, but hasn't garnered the big names most come out to those bigger events. The whole state of vintage racing is changing; the mid-late-80s to early-90s are becoming the most sought after classes at some events, while there has also been a big surge in twin shock interest as some more companies like Vintco have come into the foray and made some parts acquisitions easier.
OldPro277
11/24/2020 3:47pm
The "crown jewels" would be VMXdN, Diamond Don's, SoCal Vintage MX Classic, Daytona Vintage SX, Unadilla MX Rewind. Florida vintage series also has a "mx des...
The "crown jewels" would be VMXdN, Diamond Don's, SoCal Vintage MX Classic, Daytona Vintage SX, Unadilla MX Rewind. Florida vintage series also has a "mx des states" race in February that always draws a good crowd, but hasn't garnered the big names most come out to those bigger events. The whole state of vintage racing is changing; the mid-late-80s to early-90s are becoming the most sought after classes at some events, while there has also been a big surge in twin shock interest as some more companies like Vintco have come into the foray and made some parts acquisitions easier.
You need to include Mid Ohio Vintage days in there. 3 days of Vintage racing with damn near full gates in every class, sometimes needing qualifiers. They just installed a new Pro style gate 2 years ago and the track crew is ridiculously good, Kevin Kelley (from the AMA Nats and Lorettas ,etc)is the announcer all weekend and really gives it a Big Time feel and sound. And the 30,000 + participants/spectators/vendors certainly helps too, lol. The fact that they have been holding this event for 30 years means that it is runs like a well-oiled machine and is super organized.
Obviously its my favorite VMX event of any given year,lol
mark_swart
11/24/2020 4:53pm
I think the catch with vintage is really how diluted the talent gets because of so many eras. I was the only guy in my class at DVSX last year, it was a shame because that was an awesome experience and the track was just fine for the older bikes. I hope it grows next year if they still get to have it!

Post a reply to: What is the fastest vintage race?

The Latest