What is the cycling regimine of a top guy?

St Ann More
2/24/2018 4:26pm
sesker15 wrote:
Get the Strava app. You can see what a lot of the pros do on there.
Looking at many of their profiles, that would be considered not much then!
Aron213
2/24/2018 6:22pm
Here is a screen shot of Charlie Mullins on Strava at a local trail to me, its a very slow single track with a lot of roots.

djc
2/24/2018 6:27pm
Depends on what your trying to build. If your starting from scratch you have to build a base which takes low heart rate (135-150) for about...
Depends on what your trying to build. If your starting from scratch you have to build a base which takes low heart rate (135-150) for about 2 hours 3-4 tines a week. Once you have your base you can begin experimenting with what you need, first would be building up endurance (hr 140-145) for 3 hours would be great to start with 2 times a week, add in a day or two of intervals where you do that same 3 hour ride 145 hr but adding in 30-50 minutes of short sprints that last 3-5 minutes at a time reaching 175 heart rate then returning to 140-145 hr for 3-5 minutes then repeating 4-5 times, if you get gassed drop back down and finish ride at 120-130 hr, this builds your heart strength. The goal is to eventually get strong enough to hit your max hr during intervals (when at peak recovery and strength) whuch should be based on age 185-195. Some people get to this point the smart way by building a huge base before building strength which can be done if your able to do a peddle each week that’s really really long, my brother was the king of 100 mike bike rides which built huge base but in my opinion can burn you out if you force it. It’s a very tedious line, you have to be on top of everything if you want even half of what these top guys have fitness wise because you can tear your body down if you don’t do it right. And remember these guys have done this cycle of training for years, that compounds in on itself after so much time so stay at it and those months of tiny improvements will pay off after a long time. Also always try to keep doing something new on the bike or in the gym, your body can quickly adapt if your train the same way and you top out, the only way to continue increases is to move on to something new, even if it’s picking up some soup cans and strengthing those shoulder muscles focusing on technique.
This is some good info. But dam a three he ride would be so boring Nothikg worse then being on a long bike ride and just wanting to be home and being like shit I have hours left to get home lol
JB 19
2/24/2018 10:15pm
Airdyne bike. Incorporates your upper body as well , plus you can use only your arms if you want.

Before you laugh try to ride one for an hour at 20 mph.

The Shop

51xc
2/25/2018 5:29am
difficult to answer that question because there are guys out there that do a lot of road riding, some guys do majority mtb rides and some do a mix.

for tomac, JT said eli is doing about 25% of his work on the bicycle. however I belive with him it's more about recovery and endurance type of rides and the intensity stuff on the mx bike.

guys that trained with johnny o mara will do a lot of interval-training on the mtb and only body weight fitness training, as far as I know from a couple of interviews and what johnny is posting on strava. his rides are fairly short but have a lot of elevation gain and intensity.

guys like roczen and wilson seem to do a lot of weight training, running, swimming and some cycling.

So all of them will have different mileage because of the their overall routine and the type of cycling they prefer. I'd concentrate more in the amount of time spend in certain heart rate or power zones rather than mileage anyways.

also, if you think cycling isn't good for training intensity or as you said all out effort, than you'll be in for surprise. there is a lot of ways to structur your training for mx that will work but the most important aspect is that you need to enjoy the type of training you choose to make it sustainable over a long time. or you get paid millions to motivate yourself to do whatever...
Tuna
2/25/2018 6:23am
Depends on what your trying to build. If your starting from scratch you have to build a base which takes low heart rate (135-150) for about...
Depends on what your trying to build. If your starting from scratch you have to build a base which takes low heart rate (135-150) for about 2 hours 3-4 tines a week. Once you have your base you can begin experimenting with what you need, first would be building up endurance (hr 140-145) for 3 hours would be great to start with 2 times a week, add in a day or two of intervals where you do that same 3 hour ride 145 hr but adding in 30-50 minutes of short sprints that last 3-5 minutes at a time reaching 175 heart rate then returning to 140-145 hr for 3-5 minutes then repeating 4-5 times, if you get gassed drop back down and finish ride at 120-130 hr, this builds your heart strength. The goal is to eventually get strong enough to hit your max hr during intervals (when at peak recovery and strength) whuch should be based on age 185-195. Some people get to this point the smart way by building a huge base before building strength which can be done if your able to do a peddle each week that’s really really long, my brother was the king of 100 mike bike rides which built huge base but in my opinion can burn you out if you force it. It’s a very tedious line, you have to be on top of everything if you want even half of what these top guys have fitness wise because you can tear your body down if you don’t do it right. And remember these guys have done this cycle of training for years, that compounds in on itself after so much time so stay at it and those months of tiny improvements will pay off after a long time. Also always try to keep doing something new on the bike or in the gym, your body can quickly adapt if your train the same way and you top out, the only way to continue increases is to move on to something new, even if it’s picking up some soup cans and strengthing those shoulder muscles focusing on technique.
djc wrote:
This is some good info. But dam a three he ride would be so boring Nothikg worse then being on a long bike ride and just...
This is some good info. But dam a three he ride would be so boring Nothikg worse then being on a long bike ride and just wanting to be home and being like shit I have hours left to get home lol
I usually do 2 hour rides and I seldom feel bored.
Phantom 661
2/25/2018 8:34am
djc wrote:
This is some good info. But dam a three he ride would be so boring Nothikg worse then being on a long bike ride and just...
I know a fellow clock watcher when I (read) see one. Laughing
2/25/2018 8:46am
Seems like too much cycling, not enough moto-ing, if comparing the generation before this one...(The MC era).
LaRocco is one of my all time favorites, for his perseverance, dedication, grit, etc...dont think he rode a bicycle?

Post a reply to: What is the cycling regimine of a top guy?

The Latest