What is more or seems more dangerous?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/15/2017 4:41 PM

MOTOGP or AMERICAN SX?
You'd think at the speeds motogp goes there would be no comparison. Very rarely do I hear about these racers getting injured. Hope forkner heals up great and soon.

|

11/15/2017 4:57 PM

Being more in touch with dirt, I hear about more broken bones and such. Although I think it happens more often in street than I know of. Death though, much higher risk in street bike.

|

11/15/2017 4:58 PM

When they crash, they just slide for the most part. Sissy sport. w00t

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

11/15/2017 5:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 5:03 PM

Lol the airbag suits they wear nowdays inflate before they hit the ground. Def helps. Suit knows that your falling before u do hehe. Will make its way to Moto when riders realize a 2000 dollar suit is still cheaper than broken bones.

|

when in doubt, pin it out

11/15/2017 5:05 PM

Like you said, I hear about serious injuries way less often in the road racing world. I would have to say SX carries a higher risk of injury.

|

11/15/2017 5:09 PM

guess it all depends on the parameters of your "dangerous".............not many but racers die road racing or the potential is greater............in SX plan on getting hurt, not if when.........somehow, even dungy and the king had injuries and paralysis is very realunsure unsure

|

11/15/2017 5:39 PM

BobbyM wrote:

MOTOGP or AMERICAN SX?
You'd think at the speeds motogp goes there would be no comparison. Very rarely do I hear about these racers getting injured. Hope forkner heals up great and soon.

IMO...Supercross is more dangerous. Think about doing each discipline on the novice/entry level. In motoGP you can slowly work up to speed, learning as you go. In supercross you either do the obstacle or you don't; you can't slowly work up to it in increments. Also, the danger in SX can change each lap. MotoGP is fairly consistent throughout the race....unless you have an oil spill or something out of the ordinary. And if you want to talk about frequency of injuries....OMG, supercross is king! I would guess that someone leaves just about every SX race throughout the year with a severe injury. On the other hand, I'm guessing it's not uncommon to go multiple motoGP races without ANY injuries.

|

11/15/2017 6:03 PM

mauidex wrote:

guess it all depends on the parameters of your "dangerous".............not many but racers die road racing or the potential is greater............in SX plan on getting hurt, not if when.........somehow, even dungy and the king had injuries and paralysis is very realunsure unsure

x2. High profile people have died in MotoGP races. I can't think of anyone losing their life at a Supercross, and the last pro motocross death was possibly Josh Litchtle at Red Bud, from heat exhaustion. The chance of injury definitely seems higher from SX/MX, but the risk of death is higher in MotoGP.

If you start lumping in amateur races, things like the Isle of Man TT have to be included as well, which has a body count almost every year. It's pretty ridiculous.

|

Nick
-2015 Grom grocery getter
-2011 Road King Classic
-2010 WR250X supermoto

11/15/2017 6:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 6:07 PM

blusmbl wrote:

x2. High profile people have died in MotoGP races. I can't think of anyone losing their life at a Supercross, and the last pro motocross death was possibly Josh Litchtle at Red Bud, from heat exhaustion. The chance of injury definitely seems higher from SX/MX, but the risk of death is higher in MotoGP.

If you start lumping in amateur races, things like the Isle of Man TT have to be included as well, which has a body count almost every year. It's pretty ridiculous.

Jason Ciarletta SX 2004. RIP

|

11/15/2017 6:09 PM

blusmbl wrote:

things like the Isle of Man TT

You posted just as I was going to. ;-)
|

I don't trust any "Joined Date" later than 2012

11/15/2017 6:15 PM

Supercross has become "Last Man Standing".

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

11/15/2017 8:40 PM

mauidex wrote:

blusmbl wrote:

Highsider wrote: things like the Isle of Man TT

You posted just as I was going to. ;-)

Drop the mic bro. Isle of Man TT = death every year

|

11/15/2017 8:45 PM

MotoGP and its supporting categories have had 4 deaths in the 2000s. While SX is more likely to result in injury, MotoGP is more likely to result in fatality. Most crashes are low-slides but everything is at much higher speed. So it depends on your definition of dangerous.

|

11/15/2017 9:47 PM

Moto gp guys dont ride moto gp between races.

|

11/15/2017 10:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 10:44 PM

theres not really an argument here at all. Iv crashed jumping 80ft jumps on a mx track. I can't even imagine crashing while braking at 300km heading for a 90 degree corner

|

11/15/2017 10:46 PM

the safety in moto gp is top level, thats why these guys don't die every time they crash

|

11/16/2017 2:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2017 2:38 AM

The safety standards are really high in SBK and MotoGP. But even with the modern day tracks we've seen deaths. Simoncelli and Salom comes to mind.

Isle of Man and other racing on actual road is way, way, way more dangerous than SX or MX. Every year people die at the Isle of Man TT.

We see more broken bones in MX or SX but fatal crashes are very rare.

You're effed when things go wrong on a 600cc or 1000cc bike. The speeds in SX and MX are so much slower and the dirt is softer than asphalt. I would say that MX and SX is safer.

|

11/16/2017 7:40 AM

At the end of the day, what is YOUR definition of safe ? Broken bones, paralysis or death .

|

11/16/2017 9:37 AM

Isle of Man type stuff is not in the mix here... Motogp vs sx. Last death in either discipline? Not sure.

|

11/16/2017 9:50 AM

Both are dangerous, it comes with the territory however IMO SX has less margin for error and greater opportunity for devastating injury so I think SX is a more dangerous.

|

11/16/2017 10:00 AM

BobbyM wrote:

Isle of Man type stuff is not in the mix here... Motogp vs sx. Last death in either discipline? Not sure.

Luis Salom 2016, Simoncelli 2011.

That's why i feel like MotoGP, SBK etc is more dangerous even though they have really high safety standards with the tracks and the rider equipment.

|

11/16/2017 10:10 AM

It's probably a lot to do with the way the energy is dissipated in the crashes. Most of the time when they crash in MotoGP they hit the ground and keep sliding, thus dissipating the speed and energy of the crash. Compare that to Ken Roczens big crash for example, where he landed abruptly on the face of a jump. All that energy has nowhere to go and results in broken bones.

|

11/16/2017 10:27 AM

Just thru vital alone i hear a half dozen or so kids/people dying each year doing moto at the amateur ranks - curious how amateur road racing is?

|

11/16/2017 10:30 AM

Isle of Man is a moto race with an occasional cow, chicken or goat crossing the track!

|

11/16/2017 11:45 AM

ak23 wrote:

Just thru vital alone i hear a half dozen or so kids/people dying each year doing moto at the amateur ranks - curious how amateur road racing is?

I think in regional road racing, the risk of death is high (like at the highest level of the sport) but serious injuries are relatively low due to high safety standards for tracks and equipment.

On the flip side, compare your local motorcross track compared to a racing circuit. MX tracks let ANYBODY on the track regardless of their ability or knowledge. Some tracks don't even have flaggers. It's very rare you see that in road racing because of the chances of death. Factor in the lack of standards when constructing mx tracks and the potential for injury is much higher.

I'd rather go 100+ mph on a road race circuit or supermoto track than race or ride at 25 mph on a poorly constructed and poorly prepped mx track.

If dangerous = minor to serious injury (SX is more dangerous)
If dangerous = death (MotoGP)

|

11/17/2017 6:21 AM

BobbyM wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

Luis Salom 2016, Simoncelli 2011.

That's why i feel like MotoGP, SBK etc is more dangerous even though they have really high safety standards with the tracks and the rider equipment.

Shoya Tomizawa had also died in an on-track incident in 2010 in the Moto2 support class. Before that it was Kato who died at Suzuka in 2004ish, right at the beginning of the 4-stroke era.

|

11/17/2017 6:44 AM

Shawn142 wrote:

Shoya Tomizawa had also died in an on-track incident in 2010 in the Moto2 support class. Before that it was Kato who died at Suzuka in 2004ish, right at the beginning of the 4-stroke era.

Kato died in 2003, I remember the incident like it was yesterday. He's bike swerved left into the wall just before the chicane at about 120mph. He died 2 weeks later but he was basically dead at the scene. The marshals just dumped him onto the stretcher & you could see his head roll to one side. I still believe he couldn't been Japan's first big bike WC.

Andrea Antonelli was killed in a WSS race in Russia, 2013.

|

11/17/2017 7:20 AM

Life is dangerous.

And racing - any type - makes things more dangerous.

At the final round of AFT last year (2016), 2 died - a young lady and a young man. I've no idea of when there last was a fatality at an AFT National round, but 2 in one weekend was terrible.

|

11/17/2017 7:41 AM

motogp can get bad
|

11/17/2017 7:48 AM

andyman wrote:

Moto gp guys dont ride moto gp between races.

No, but they do ride MX, Flat track and Supermoto... and they do crash and they do get hurt.

|