What is it about FOX that makes them the Biggest brand in moto?

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/15/2020 3:19pm
skeef wrote:
Wait.. Fox suspension came from Fox?
Most of the youngsters don't know that Geoff and Bob Fox are brothers.
MelonFan123
12/15/2020 3:34pm
Interesting to see how and if they maintain their position going forward. Lots of changes and turnover in the past several years since they were bought by a VC and Pete Fox left for good. I think the other brother cashed out and is gone as well.

Lots of key, long-time employees who had a hand in the huge growth in the 00's are gone. IMO the marketing, creativity and strive to always evolve and push limits made them what they are.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/15/2020 3:37pm
dsmith wrote:
In that music video...cult of personality....guitar players wearing some axo pants...
In that music video...cult of personality....guitar players wearing some axo pants...
Vernon Reid from Living Colour. He wore Axo on more than one occasion.

danzig138
Fantasy
4080th
12/15/2020 3:41pm
Interesting to see how and if they maintain their position going forward. Lots of changes and turnover in the past several years since they were bought...
Interesting to see how and if they maintain their position going forward. Lots of changes and turnover in the past several years since they were bought by a VC and Pete Fox left for good. I think the other brother cashed out and is gone as well.

Lots of key, long-time employees who had a hand in the huge growth in the 00's are gone. IMO the marketing, creativity and strive to always evolve and push limits made them what they are.
A few OG stranglers left, but I can totally tell in the direction of design and tightness of even the little things.

I scratch my head at a few design choices, but the OGs have laid the groundwork. You put that logo on dog shit and people will love it.

However.....

They are letting the door open for other brands to come and swoop in that market share these days.

The Shop

WFO
12/15/2020 4:09pm
Never liked it. From the 70's to today....JT, AXO, No Fear, One....now I like TLD and FastHouse FLY Throw in some Moose and Leatt but Im offroad now.
MotoDogg
12/16/2020 2:29am
They were at the right place at the right time.

IMO they got big in the 90's when internet was not a big thing yet and less media was available. So the focus of target audience was centralized, if you made it to the mainstream media then you became famous. Same sittuation with stores, VHS tapes and video games. Less option meant more attention.

This is the same reason why we had less celebrities in the past, and the big names were really big (Michael Jackson, Madonna, Marlon Brando, etc.). Try to become a legend these days... good luck with that. Anyone can have a youtube channel, news website, DVD, newspaper and you can become famous easily, but you won't be remembered in 5 years.

Just my 2 cents.

12/16/2020 2:45am
I think the logo it’s self was a large part of its success.
I also like how fox isn’t afraid to make a limited set of gear, every year. JT has mentioned on pulp
How expensive and how much pre planning it takes to do it once let alone every year.
kkawboy14
12/16/2020 3:01am
Perfect name! Chics want to be a “Fox” and be with a “Fox”
MyBobbym
12/16/2020 3:22am
I think it's fair to say that Fox are the big boys of the moto world. Not many brands have transcended the sport like they have...
I think it's fair to say that Fox are the big boys of the moto world. Not many brands have transcended the sport like they have. I would personally say that they are the kings when it comes to gear and apparel.

But what makes them so successful? How have they been around so long and why do so many people regard them as the coolest brand going?
I personally remember Fox as being the gear for champions (RC, Bubba etc) when i was a kid. So i think that's where my fondness for the brand comes from. But what do you guys think? Do you even regard them the same way i do? And what's your favourite ever set of FOX gear?

I always have a new video that goes along with my question to the forum - i know some people think i'm spamming, but I put a lot of effort into these videos and Vital is truly the best moto community going so I just want to share my work with you guys and I also genuinely want to hear your thoughts! I can't tell you how many time's a Vital thread has helped me in my video research.

Anyway here's my latest film where i dive into the History of Fox and try to work out how they've become so successful!

Cheers guys,
Max
Norcal baby... Simple as that.
brimx153
12/16/2020 3:37am
I think the logo it’s self was a large part of its success. I also like how fox isn’t afraid to make a limited set of...
I think the logo it’s self was a large part of its success.
I also like how fox isn’t afraid to make a limited set of gear, every year. JT has mentioned on pulp
How expensive and how much pre planning it takes to do it once let alone every year.
100% agree . The logo itself is just cool . Its the best looking by a mile . FLY can have some nice looking gear , but there logo is terrible, i much rathered there old one .even though it was nt great either. But the new one is terrible. Still good gear though.
EngIceDave
12/16/2020 5:29am
Fox, FMF and Oakley are the best logos in the industry.

Even before famous, they were easily identifiable and clean.
MudPup545
12/16/2020 6:35am
EngIceDave wrote:
Occasionally a Fox, FMF or other moto sticker would appear on Joey and Chandler's fridge
There is an episode where he’s reading a copy of Racer X also.

And in regards to the topic on hand, I was a 12 year old kid (1981) and was at a local track (Brown City, MI) and a track vendor had stickers for sale. When I saw the logo I was hooked! Really cool sticker AND motocross? I loved it and had to buy some for my bike. As the years went on it was the only stuff I’d buy, loved the looks and I felt “factory”...lol...still rode like a squid but, I looked cool.

In my adult years I began noticing so many non-riders wearing it. So many times I would see someone with a Fox hat/jersey and I ask them a moto related question and the answer would be a blank stare. That’s when I started moving away from them and began buying Fly and MSR.

I still like the gear, still love the logo and I do like many of the current designs. Love the retro stuff.
kkawboy14
12/16/2020 6:52am
EngIceDave wrote:

It’s funny that the little family run businesses can have some of the coolest branding and marketing and then when the college/number crunchers/corporate people take over it’s like they don’t even consult the families strategies.....”oh forgive me sir but that stuff you guys were doing isn’t a great strategy!”.....”well, how do you think this company started and grew up?”
12/16/2020 7:34am
skeef wrote:
Wait.. Fox suspension came from Fox?
Yes, and from what I've read that's why the suspension has the Fox tail and the gear is the Fox head. The Fox shox were under the entire company until splitting off by Bob Fox in like 1977. One got heads one got tails haha
mx317
12/16/2020 7:48am
EngIceDave wrote:
Anyone ever see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" (if not, you should) In that, the Father constantly says "Tell my any word, and I will tell...
Anyone ever see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" (if not, you should)

In that, the Father constantly says "Tell my any word, and I will tell you it's origins in Greek"

I can be like that with moto, and Fox is part of that.

I tell non-moto people, who are unaware, 'Did you know Fox started in motocross...and then go into the shocks and shit"

"Did you know Oakley started in motocross? Making grips. Name came from his dog"

and on and on with a few companies, now mainstream, that began in moto

Fox was smart. They produced good product with an edge. They straddled that MX/Surf line in design and style. They were one of the first to see that the money isn't in selling boots and gear, the money is in the marketing....selling T's and clothes with the name and logo, which was right at the time, because "Foxy" was still a word, but that was for chicks, but Fox, that's moto, surf and "extreme"

Rest is history
I remember telling a co workers daughter that No Fear started in motocross and she said "What has motocross got to do with sports". I really wanted to choke her lol!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/16/2020 11:08am
WFO wrote:
Never liked it. From the 70's to today....JT, AXO, No Fear, One....now I like TLD and FastHouse FLY Throw in some Moose and Leatt but Im...
Never liked it. From the 70's to today....JT, AXO, No Fear, One....now I like TLD and FastHouse FLY Throw in some Moose and Leatt but Im offroad now.
Its because you were just to "core" to like Fox even though Fox was core in 70s and 80s and then was mainstream America from the 90s on. Hate to tell you but Fasthouse is the new Fox and most every rider over 30 is wearing it, so you will need to find something else soon so you are not considered to be "establishment" Cool
hypermoto
12/16/2020 11:58am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 11:58am
Their early marketing division
burnside
12/16/2020 1:04pm
I think if you were a 90s kid Terrafirma was a legacy piece by the brand.

I heard rumblings through ex-Fox employees that the crazy new office put unnecessary pressure on the business.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/16/2020 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 1:09pm
Things come full circle too. I spent a LOT of money over the years on Moto-x fox and fox racing and other MX companies gear and parts and I save everything and now over the last 10 to 15 years I have made thousands selling the vintage MX old stuff on Ebay and other vintage mx sites and cant believe what some of it has sold for. I didn't save stuff thinking it would be worth selling some day, I saved it because it because racing and MX was my life,and it just worked out that nostalgia is a very strong feeling and a great sales tool.
EngIceDave
12/16/2020 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 1:09pm
Certain sets/kits or colorways are just iconic in this sport.

The early Fox Orange/Yellow/Red combo is iconic to the brand

JT's Dog Bonz

MC's Red/Black 1-800-COLLECT from Fox

Just a couple examples

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/16/2020 1:12pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Certain sets/kits or colorways are just iconic in this sport. The early Fox Orange/Yellow/Red combo is iconic to the brand JT's Dog Bonz MC's Red/Black 1-800-COLLECT...

JT's Dog Bonz

Just a couple examples

Yep.

yz763
12/16/2020 1:13pm
The branding and logo is what attracted me as a customer back in the mid nineties. I just ordered some new AStars stuff and feel really guilty for wearing it. That is what good branding is supposed to do. It lures you in and crates a loyalty that is very difficult to compromise. Then, when a loyalist goes out and tries something different, they instantly feel guilty like they are cheating. Brilliant!
MyBobbym
12/16/2020 3:55pm
EngIceDave wrote:

Nofear should be on that list
MyBobbym
12/16/2020 3:59pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Certain sets/kits or colorways are just iconic in this sport. The early Fox Orange/Yellow/Red combo is iconic to the brand JT's Dog Bonz MC's Red/Black 1-800-COLLECT...

JT's Dog Bonz

Just a couple examples

lostboy819 wrote:
Yep. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/12/16/466149/s1200_00010002.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/12/16/466150/s1200_ffdfba55f067d5ed48065d22dd5ce9d0.jpg[/img]
Yep.

Jim turner, perry klassen, guerro or kip something and Richard coon?
kkawboy14
12/16/2020 4:09pm
EngIceDave wrote:

MyBobbym wrote:
Nofear should be on that list
They probably would be if they were still in existence
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
12/16/2020 4:17pm
EngIceDave wrote:

JT's Dog Bonz

Just a couple examples

TeamGreen
12/16/2020 4:29pm
I dunno.

But, I hear Pete’s launching his own label.

In the meantime and for the last...what...7-8 years? I wear gear that has the name of a guy that rides dirt bikes and is one helluva a Sign-Painter on my sleeves. He makes awesome gear and really nice helmets, too.
Like I was sayin’...
His business card says, “sign painter” and he rides dirt-bkes. Just like the Fox brothers did...40 years...ago.

While we’re here, best of luck and an Old School “Get It!” to Pete in his latest adventure back in to This Shit!
Smile
12/16/2020 5:12pm
Two other things that I had to hunt to find examples of.

Fox appealed to women instead of using women in their ads.

Fox also took out full page color adds when much of the competition was in B/W.

So now my dad, mom and me as a kid all wanted Fox.

nickm
12/16/2020 5:43pm
I remember getting the Fox RJ gear back in '87 and it was epic. That said, anyone who actually knows the answer to the question is getting paid well in the 7 figures by someone who wants their brand to be as well established for as long as Fox has.

Post a reply to: What is it about FOX that makes them the Biggest brand in moto?

The Latest