What is it about FOX that makes them the Biggest brand in moto?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2020 7:58 AM

I think it's fair to say that Fox are the big boys of the moto world. Not many brands have transcended the sport like they have. I would personally say that they are the kings when it comes to gear and apparel.

But what makes them so successful? How have they been around so long and why do so many people regard them as the coolest brand going?
I personally remember Fox as being the gear for champions (RC, Bubba etc) when i was a kid. So i think that's where my fondness for the brand comes from. But what do you guys think? Do you even regard them the same way i do? And what's your favourite ever set of FOX gear?

I always have a new video that goes along with my question to the forum - i know some people think i'm spamming, but I put a lot of effort into these videos and Vital is truly the best moto community going so I just want to share my work with you guys and I also genuinely want to hear your thoughts! I can't tell you how many time's a Vital thread has helped me in my video research.

Anyway here's my latest film where i dive into the History of Fox and try to work out how they've become so successful!

Cheers guys,
Max
|

12/15/2020 8:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 8:07 AM

Anybody who was riding/racing in the 70s and 80s may have a different opinion than others, but if their goal was to go big and mainstream, they have been amazingly successful. I struggle with a brand that began life as moto going mainstream, but I can't say I blame them. I honestly think their logo helped them carry over when apparel sales began to become a big thing. It is cool when folks that just think it is a clothing line learn of the roots of the company.

I am stuck in the 80s and 90s, I miss the old Fox and AXO gear that ruled that era.

|

12/15/2020 8:10 AM

Time & style

They earned it

|

Make sure you downvote!

12/15/2020 8:11 AM

They marketed themselves successfully to the mainstream while maintaining a quality product within their core demo.

That last part is what usually suffers.

|

Violence You Can Believe In

12/15/2020 8:12 AM

^ I'm with you, Mike. I miss AXO. The good stuff, from about '87 to '95.

I wore Sinisalo for a few years too; that was really nice gear. Head and shoulders better than the JT stuff all my friends wore. (Sorry, JT fans!)

Fox rose because of good marketing and the aforementioned casual clothing volume. They probably sell more fox head tee shirts to high schoolers in the mall each year than all the gear sets they have ever sold, combined.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/15/2020 9:25 AM

For me it was Fox being cutting edge/progressive with designs. It wasn’t until AXO and TLD came around until my mind started to change, then when FOX went full on mainstream is when I started to lose interest. Looking forward to see what Pete puts out with Renen.

|

12/15/2020 9:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 9:47 AM

Where I live here in the Midwest, I see more Fly gear at the track than anything else by a wide margin.

|

12/15/2020 9:43 AM

It was the Moto x part of fox that made it big...JT was big back then too...

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

12/15/2020 9:45 AM

The biggest brand in moto? Or the standard sticker for a bro to have on their truck?

IMO all of the moto gear brands recycle each others designs, and try to bring things back into style etc etc etc.

Fasthouse is the most popular brand in Southern California at the moment but mostly because it is the cool guy gear of the industry at the moment. Their designs are very TLD ish with a modern hipster twist. The people who design their stuff are rad, and I think its some of the best looking gear out there.

|

12/15/2020 9:50 AM

Good branding for many years and they appeal to the masses! Even those outside of the MX world

A lot of people in moto seem to not like those sorts of things (SX taking over, things like XGames, Monster, etc etc..) But the reality is these entities bring massive amounts of awareness to the sport, which is overall a positive.

|

12/15/2020 9:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 9:59 AM

Fox was ugly as shit between 2004-2017.

Then in 2018 they started making stuff that had a good clean look - the new helmet was the cherry on the top.

Nothing will ever be cooler than McGrath's Honda fox gear

Photo

|

12/15/2020 10:04 AM

Anyone ever see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?" (if not, you should)

In that, the Father constantly says "Tell my any word, and I will tell you it's origins in Greek"

I can be like that with moto, and Fox is part of that.

I tell non-moto people, who are unaware, 'Did you know Fox started in motocross...and then go into the shocks and shit"

"Did you know Oakley started in motocross? Making grips. Name came from his dog"

and on and on with a few companies, now mainstream, that began in moto

Fox was smart. They produced good product with an edge. They straddled that MX/Surf line in design and style. They were one of the first to see that the money isn't in selling boots and gear, the money is in the marketing....selling T's and clothes with the name and logo, which was right at the time, because "Foxy" was still a word, but that was for chicks, but Fox, that's moto, surf and "extreme"

Rest is history

|

Make sure you downvote!

12/15/2020 10:07 AM

I can’t stand the brand!
For no other reason than the type of person you see predominantly wearing it here in the UK.
Photo

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

12/15/2020 10:25 AM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

I can’t stand the brand!
For no other reason than the type of person you see predominantly wearing it here in the UK.
Photo

So you choose a photo where no one wears FOX?

Fox has lasted simply because of marketing. I can't name any other brand's 1990's film projects, but I remember Terrafirma. Then pre-recession, you could find their clothing in non-moto stores like PacSun, which growing up in the mid-west was a big deal. There were all sorts of kids who rode ATVs in their buddies field that never really went to a dealer, or to a track, but when they could buy FOX at the mall that appealed to them.

|

12/15/2020 10:29 AM

Marketing

|

12/15/2020 10:30 AM

Remember when the Backstreet Boys wore Fox at some award show performance?

|

12/15/2020 10:34 AM

In that music video...cult of personality....guitar players wearing some axo pants...

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

12/15/2020 10:49 AM

Lots of classic designs that hold up over time.

Not necessarily cutting edge, but their looks often define an entire era.

Probably the only brand where old pieces will significantly appreciate in value over time.

And above all, that logo. Still cool as hell.

|

12/15/2020 10:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2020 10:52 AM

dsmith wrote:

I think Fox was able to change and set the trends and pay the best riders to wear their gear, I don't remember if JT just got stale or if they quit paying the stars to wear their gear but both were the top company at one time but the Fox head logos were just plain cool in the 70s and 80s. As a matter of fact Pete Fox bought part of my fox sticker collection a few years ago and would have bought everything if I would have sold it but I hung on to a bunch.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Ed Johnson

12/15/2020 11:07 AM

Steve did a podcast with Pete Fox. Good listen!!!! 👍

|

12/15/2020 11:24 AM

They are visionaries with a very complete concept and masters of branding. They put so much detail into everything they do and have true moto roots. I'm still a fan. They have also constantly worked to keep the designs fresh and have sponsored many of the sports greatest champions.

|

12/15/2020 11:27 AM

I can’t stand the brand!
Photo

That must be you, third from the left, what a badass !! cool wink

|

Ed Johnson

12/15/2020 11:34 AM

I can’t stand the brand!
Photo

lostboy819 wrote:

That must be you, third from the left, what a badass !! cool wink

I’m sorry to have offended you. I do understand that not all you hood-rats are bad people.

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

12/15/2020 11:36 AM

Joey wears it too!
Photo

|

12/15/2020 11:39 AM

quadzrulebro wrote:

Where I live here in the Midwest, I see more Fly gear at the track than anything else by a wide margin.

I heard it was because they signed some fast 50 year old in SoCal......haha

|

human/kind ... be both

12/15/2020 11:40 AM

blockhead17 wrote:

Joey wears it too!
Photo

Well, it's not like he wears it because it's "cool"...

Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/15/2020 12:24 PM

blockhead17 wrote:

Joey wears it too!
Photo

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Photo

Yep ,he's an actual (or was) an actual racer and a full-time enthusiast. In his sit-com "Man with a Plan" (based in Pittsburgh by the way,lol) there were dirt bike models and pictures of bikes throughout the house in the show, and a couple of episodes dealt with him riding a moto bike on a vacation. So LeBlanc is not a poser by any means.

|

12/15/2020 2:10 PM

motokiwi wrote:

Fox was ugly as shit between 2004-2017.

Then in 2018 they started making stuff that had a good clean look - the new helmet ...more

As cool as that was, Bradshaw in '89 was cooler.

I don't buy fox like I don't buy Nike, but still... how many brands have a string of winners like Johnson Bradshaw McGrath RC Stewart

|

12/15/2020 2:27 PM

blockhead17 wrote:

Joey wears it too!
Photo

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Photo

OldPro277 wrote:

Yep ,he's an actual (or was) an actual racer and a full-time enthusiast. In his sit-com "Man with a Plan" (based in Pittsburgh ...more

Does anybody remember an episode of friends where this moto guy showed up and he was really obnoxious and thought he was cool? He starting talking about how great Ricky Carmichael was and how moto is going to be a really big sport one day. He was basically a moto-douche. I remember it very well because it was a funny take on motocross.

|

12/15/2020 2:54 PM

dsmith wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

I think Fox was able to change and set the trends and pay the best riders to wear their gear, I don't remember if JT just got ...more

Wait.. Fox suspension came from Fox?

|