What is Your Current Riding Level?

kb228
9/9/2019 10:09am
My current riding level is still scared from getting injured a year ago and getting passed by 8 year olds on 65s
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
9/9/2019 11:43am
Hey Mike, I wan't the guy involved in your incident, this is Bill in the 60 novice class on the YZ250. Glad you're all healed up. Don't know how many (or if) any otmx are doing the MT deal. We have our own gate / time slot at the SRA gran prix on the 22nd, I doubt many guys would make both, but some members hate gran prix's so there could be a couple. I'm doing the gran prix. I'll make a note to bring ear plugs to Perris LaughingLaughing For reference I'm the fat kook on this bike
b8res
9/9/2019 12:46pm
yzrider53 wrote:
I was once kind of fast, earned 3 number one plates, two of which are on top in the pic. I still race at 59 in...
I was once kind of fast, earned 3 number one plates, two of which are on top in the pic.
I still race at 59 in the master class with the International Old Timers.
Getting old sucks Smile

Several of that those cats still putting in laps on a weekly basis, Law, Villia, Blair,Alarcon and a few others either with the Old Timers or OTHG

The Shop

fourfourone
9/9/2019 12:57pm
I don't race much. Strong C rider I would say. Maybe bang bars with a b classer at certain tracks.

C class is tough in the northeast. 60% are mid pack B guys that race c class because the like trophys.
9/9/2019 1:40pm
Blue flag wrote:
Not sure how to vote. I turned A in 1986, held a pro license in ‘87-‘89. Quit riding when I got married in ‘95. Polished the...
Not sure how to vote. I turned A in 1986, held a pro license in ‘87-‘89. Quit riding when I got married in ‘95. Polished the dust off my old bike in ‘07, upgraded to an ‘06 RM250 a year or two later. Rubbed some of the rust off and still have a decent skill set but lack endurance. Then the last few years I couldn’t ride due to severe carpal tunnel. Got that fixed in January but now have severe tendonitis in my left elbow. I want to be out there though. I’m working on making it happen again at 52 years young.
Similar boat here... I'm 57 and I've been riding for 45 years. I have excellent skills but I don't go nearly as fast as I _could_ maybe go. I'm really much more about riding well, if you follow me, not going fast. Thus, I'd say "Expert" except that I am NOT one of the faster people out there. At the same time I have a ton of bad habits and am trying to correct those so I called myself an "Intermediate".

I ride MX, hare scrambles, enduros, and trials, too... not just one type.

FortyHat
9/9/2019 5:51pm
yzrider53 wrote:
I was once kind of fast, earned 3 number one plates, two of which are on top in the pic. I still race at 59 in...
I was once kind of fast, earned 3 number one plates, two of which are on top in the pic.
I still race at 59 in the master class with the International Old Timers.
Getting old sucks Smile

Wow I recognize a name on that list, #29 Phil Oveland. I'm from Hawaii and he moved/raced there in the late 80s when I was a kid.
yzrider53
9/9/2019 6:26pm
FortyHat wrote:
Wow I recognize a name on that list, #29 Phil Oveland. I'm from Hawaii and he moved/raced there in the late 80s when I was a...
Wow I recognize a name on that list, #29 Phil Oveland. I'm from Hawaii and he moved/raced there in the late 80s when I was a kid.
I believe his family owned the Yamaha shop in Hayward Ca back then?
FortyHat
9/9/2019 6:56pm
FortyHat wrote:
Wow I recognize a name on that list, #29 Phil Oveland. I'm from Hawaii and he moved/raced there in the late 80s when I was a...
yzrider53 wrote:
I believe his family owned the Yamaha shop in Hayward Ca back then?
Honestly I'm not sure, I should ask my older brother who knew him a bit and raced with Phil. Dude was FAST as hell. He rode KTMs in Hawaii in the late 80s, and I have no idea how he made those horrific machines go that quick.
9/9/2019 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2019 7:16pm
you guys are making it too difficult.

its either a. b. c. or d.

I used to be A (local pro).

then i had kids everything changes at that point.

but i did have some fun while it lasted.

fun times were had, bada** bikes were built, motovans were lived in, scrubs and whips happened often, valves were replaced weekly.

now i goto work come home and work on bikes for side jobs. Watch my kids ride on the weekends. walk thru work with my arms in front of me (handlebar stance) and my eyes closed dreaming i could be as good as i once was and hope one day ill get to ride again or as often as i used to.

me on blue and my son on orange.

Indy mxer
9/9/2019 7:46pm
Brad460 wrote:
I am an intermediate, but should correct the statement ( being 46yrs old )...

“Intermediate- Trying not to become a novice”
Lmfao! Good one Brad460.

I'm 62. But your quote applies to me as well. Some days I wonder where my skills went!
Indy mxer
9/9/2019 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2019 7:56pm
gt80rider wrote:
+50.... so even when I am pushing like crazy and feel like I am going ET3 fast, I watch the video and am appalled by how...
+50.... so even when I am pushing like crazy and feel like I am going ET3 fast, I watch the video and am appalled by how slow I am actually going.....

Just glad to be out there supporting the sport and doing what I love most...... definitely not trying to break an lap records or send-it on any triples........
That's funny as hell, but true. We were riding about a month ago and a buddy tucked in behind me with GoPro.
I felt like I was really pushing it, until I watched the video. Man, I thought I was faster than that!
Must be age and diminishing skills. lol

Anyway like you, I love the sport and I'm still having a blast riding and hanging with the moto buds.
Racer142
9/9/2019 9:41pm
I'd say I am at a funny place of being a fast 25+ b that should move to A for local stuff but I'm not fast enough for A nationally. If I really focus on mx I can get faster pretty quickly but I divide my time between mx on my 450 and trails on my 300. At the end of the day I just love riding dirt bikes. I've always done my own maintenence but I'm starting to enjoy working on my bikes more and more.
danman
9/10/2019 6:04am
I didn't see an option for me.
OLD, FAT, and SLOW, but LOVE riding/racing!
WDSRCR
9/10/2019 6:56am
I ride A in the woods. Usually in the top 20% Overall at a national enduro and sometimes a good bit better than that locally. This year has been a struggle. I am almost 40 and am starting to second guess hitting things at speed.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
9/11/2019 10:19am
I have to change my vote. As of last Sunday I went from 60 Novice to 60 Intermediate, in the otmx.....which is probably like a c at best everywhere else Laughing
lumpy790
9/12/2019 8:07am
Kind of hard to directly compare off road to MX levels.

After my TBI injury I would say I am back to C but in 50+ it really does not matter.

Will be knocking on the 60+ class in a couple years too.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
9/24/2019 7:18am
This poll is a tough pill to swallow for guys that ride the A practice on track days but do four races a year in 250...
This poll is a tough pill to swallow for guys that ride the A practice on track days but do four races a year in 250 C.
Lol do the cherry pickers Claim A or C in the poll ?
For real though i went to a race this past sunday , I was just spectating I dont have a bike right now,
Anyway 250 C class
was the biggest class of they day with around 15 riders, and the Guy that won was on a YZ125 in a field of 250F and looked like James Stewart Ala 2002, kid was flying hitting the triples, doing whips over the the tables etc. Wide open around the whole track. There is no D class so 250C is the lowest class , i was thinking this guy is far from a beginner.
I dont know the story though maybe it was a kid that just moved up off of 85's or something?
Definitely didnt look like he belongs in the C class though.
Even 2nd and 3rd which where way behind and on 250fs looked fast and cleared triples etc.

Spudnut
9/24/2019 9:16am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2019 9:17am
Tarz483 wrote:
Lol do the cherry pickers Claim A or C in the poll ? For real though i went to a race this past sunday , I...
For real though i went to a race this past sunday , I was just spectating I dont have a bike right now,
Anyway 250 C class
was the biggest class of they day with around 15 riders, and the Guy that won was on a YZ125 in a field of 250F and looked like James Stewart Ala 2002, kid was flying hitting the triples, doing whips over the the tables etc. Wide open around the whole track. There is no D class so 250C is the lowest class , i was thinking this guy is far from a beginner.
I dont know the story though maybe it was a kid that just moved up off of 85's or something?
Even 2nd and 3rd which where way behind and on 250fs looked fast and cleared triples etc.

That’s exactly what it’s like in my neck of the woods, D and B will get about 5 riders and C is stacked, makes 0 sense

As a matter of fact they ran the C and B on the same gate a few weeks ago and the top 5 C riders beat all the B riders. Ive lost all faith in the system

25+C/D for me lol
FortyHat
9/24/2019 10:08am
This poll is a tough pill to swallow for guys that ride the A practice on track days but do four races a year in 250...
This poll is a tough pill to swallow for guys that ride the A practice on track days but do four races a year in 250 C.
Tarz483 wrote:
Lol do the cherry pickers Claim A or C in the poll ? For real though i went to a race this past sunday , I...
Anyway 250 C class

That happens around here too, and typically it's the Loretta Lynn's effect. Anyone who has aspirations of racing at LL in their respective C class will look like a sandbagger at their local races, but may only be mid-pack at LL. I don't get upset at those guys (usually kids), they are playing by the rules and are trying to achieve a goal on a larger stage.

Other guys only race a few events a year, possibly only at their home track (otherwise the AMA would move them up if they point-out) and like to win. Kinda lame, but they are racing within the rules.
9/24/2019 10:39am
Shawn142 wrote:
This pole doesn't really reflect the population here. The way it's worded is how I'd ask a teenager about their skill level. Most guys here are...
This pole doesn't really reflect the population here. The way it's worded is how I'd ask a teenager about their skill level. Most guys here are some form of vet racer.
This is how they should define skill classes: C - I don't triple B - I boner air the triple A - I scrub the triple...
This is how they should define skill classes:

C - I don't triple
B - I boner air the triple
A - I scrub the triple
Pro - I scrub the triple while pulling a tear-off and scanning for hot chicks in the crowd
You've got it all wrong.

Heres the correction:
C - I dont triple
B - I triple
A - I scrub the triple
Pro - I boner air the triple

I mean have you seen the great Ronnie Mac ride...

(on a separate note, imagine a world where every B rider had to boner air if they tripled Laughing )

G MONEY
9/24/2019 10:53am
Shawn142 wrote:
This pole doesn't really reflect the population here. The way it's worded is how I'd ask a teenager about their skill level. Most guys here are...
This pole doesn't really reflect the population here. The way it's worded is how I'd ask a teenager about their skill level. Most guys here are some form of vet racer.
Yes was fast now slow won more championships then broken bones I am feel lucky
Shawn142
9/24/2019 11:45am
Shawn142 wrote:
G MONEY wrote:
Yes was fast now slow won more championships then broken bones I am feel lucky
Yea kinda where I'm at. Once upon a time I was a regular top 10 finisher at Lorettas and a local expert, now I can't seem to outrun the faster 80 kids.

Post a reply to: What is Your Current Riding Level?

The Latest