What is The Most important Factor in MX Racing ?

TeamGreen
11/2/2018 9:56am
Maybe it's just me...but...

Why isn't "Having FUN" on there?

I recently took a CRF450L to the track. Damn, THAT was fun! Beep-Beep!
Decided to take a TE150 to the track: WAAAAY TOO MUCH FUN!
Raced Mammoth on a completely stock RMZ 450 (engine)...so much fun/should be illegal.

Honestly, "Why" do any of us race?
Answer: It's TMFF.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
11/2/2018 10:14am
If you are racing you will be racing against people at your skill level so fitness is going to be most important.

If you want to improve then fitness is still most important because you need to be able to ride at a fast pace more than two laps so you can practice skill which is obviously the next thing you need to get faster.
11/2/2018 2:33pm
None of those answers. Its confidence and mental commitment.
barnett468 wrote:
Ummm...skill certainly is one of the main answers and outweighs confidence and mental commitment. I have seen it first hand but that is not to say...
Ummm...skill certainly is one of the main answers and outweighs confidence and mental commitment. I have seen it first hand but that is not to say that confidence and commitment are not also helpful .
Can't disagree that skills are up there, I would probably put skill 2nd. Where I am coming from is from what I have seen and experienced, is that when returning from injury or a long time away from riding some of the best riders I have know have gone from being the fastest guy at the track to mid pack, even last. Not because they dont have skill or fitness, but because they lack the confidence or nerve to put thise skills into practice.

I went 8 years without riding at all, the first ride back I could drag the rear guard doing a slow wheelie at walking speed for 100 meters. But got absolutely smashed on the track for years before I had the confidence to hit corners and rough straights at speed. Plenty of examples in pro mx in recent years too where injuries have got into certain riders heads and sliwed them down.

But fitness is nothing without skill, and skill is great untill your too tired to hang on. But if you have all the skill and and all the fitness in the world, you will still be nothing without the confidence to put it into action.
11/2/2018 2:47pm
Falcon wrote:
Desire. Ask RC. The burning desire to win trumps all the above. It is what drives the practice, training, and all other aspects of putting your...
Desire. Ask RC.
The burning desire to win trumps all the above. It is what drives the practice, training, and all other aspects of putting your program together.
Absolutely 100% nailed it!

The Shop

Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
11/2/2018 3:01pm
I think it varies over time. At first it’s all about skills, then as you improve, it shifts to endurance. Somewhere in there is bike setup—knowing HOW to set your suspension and WHAT changes to make on different tracks or days.
ledger
11/2/2018 9:26pm
Get a blood transfusion from Herlings and train 10,000 ft. above sea level and have ice cream and pizza and a cheeseburger every now and then.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
11/3/2018 6:06am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2018 6:12am
TeamGreen wrote:
Maybe it's just me...but... Why isn't "Having FUN" on there? I recently took a CRF450L to the track. Damn, THAT was fun! Beep-Beep! Decided to take...
Maybe it's just me...but...

Why isn't "Having FUN" on there?

I recently took a CRF450L to the track. Damn, THAT was fun! Beep-Beep!
Decided to take a TE150 to the track: WAAAAY TOO MUCH FUN!
Raced Mammoth on a completely stock RMZ 450 (engine)...so much fun/should be illegal.

Honestly, "Why" do any of us race?
Answer: It's TMFF.
My thoughts exactly. Well said, Sir. Fun, that’s what hooked us all from day one ?. The little flimsy trophies we get from racing are nothing more than reminders of a place and time, good or bad. The scars, bumps, and physical aches and pains we get from all this silliness are another trophy we received, only they have damn good stories attached to them. But in the end, fun is what keeps us coming back ?
toroP
11/3/2018 6:34am
It’s a flawed premise. All of those things are interactive.
Example: you can’t execute good race craft without fitness.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/4/2018 8:49am
toroP wrote:
It’s a flawed premise. All of those things are interactive.
Example: you can’t execute good race craft without fitness.
Indeed , But I I was kinda saying is one
Way more important.
I also should Have specified that i was specifically talking about Professional MX as in the AMA pro nationals.
Because the answers get mixed up and can be different when talking , your local track Which like has 4 to 5 lap races. Maybe I should make a separate thread about Amateur local racing.
But the Reason I asked is Because i Think its disproportionate amount of emphasis being put on
Fitness.
Just my opinion and not everyone agree's
But I'd like to see them experiment a little bit
Maybe Try 25 minutes plus 2 at a couple races
And maybe Try 20+ 2 at a couple
Or they 3 20 minute moto's as some others have said.
Phantom 661
11/4/2018 8:26pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Imo in the Current formula we use , Physical Fitness/endurance is the #1 thing . Look at Dunge. Did people often say he was the fastest...
Imo in the Current formula we use ,
Physical Fitness/endurance is the #1 thing .
Look at Dunge. Did people often say he was the fastest guy ? Did he usually set the fastest Qualifying time ?
Did people say he had the best race craft ?
He had #1 endurance #2 consistency.
What was it Roger said about Dungey? RD is so good at "limiting the damage!" Perhaps this should be one of the choices in the formula. How to react and/or recover after a mistake, fall, or incident is absolutly critical in this sport. Dungey never wasted a single racing second... and it paid off many times for him.
barnett468
11/4/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2018 8:32pm
RM Mike wrote:
BALLS
and then there is that....or should i say, "and then there is those".?

Post a reply to: What is The Most important Factor in MX Racing ?

The Latest