What is Cole talking about

Kbach
4/16/2020 4:39pm
Xeno wrote:
Sorry to hear about your furlough. Sounds like a lot of changes in Torrance this week...
Thanks, and unfortunately yes. Maybe I should call Johnny and do some riding during the week now that I have some time Tongue
4/16/2020 4:58pm
kiwifan wrote:
First post huh? So how is that different to any other rider in the past? You sure as heck do not see them complaining about not...
First post huh?

So how is that different to any other rider in the past? You sure as heck do not see them complaining about not getting freebies or deals from the brands they rode.

Also. Can we put some perspective on this, every industry (including Honda) are or will be going through significant financial hardship due to COVID-19, therefore perhaps what a company might of given before may not give now. Is that unreasonable given the current situation? No. For all we know (and no one here knows, I am speculating as well), that is why Cole is not getting what he thinks he deserves (?) from Honda.
Kbach wrote:
Well said. As an American Honda employee (for the last 21+ years) that just got furloughed I understand their decision to limit spending during these times...
Well said.

As an American Honda employee (for the last 21+ years) that just got furloughed I understand their decision to limit spending during these times. I'm hoping I still have a job and a paycheck when all this blows over...not worried about a free bike. I've worked with MC development, press, racing, etc. and understand how it works. Sure sometimes coverage warrants giving out product. Times are a little different right now.

I'm sure the other thousands of Honda employees that were furloughed as of today feel similar.
Enjoy the time off! From what I’ve heard, there will likely be plenty of opportunities for upward mobility after next week.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
4/16/2020 5:03pm
C.Worthy wrote:
Doesn’t chicken still get free bikes and he’s long retired and he’s got no social following.
Not sure, but he did win 2 125 West coast titles.

Albertyn still gets a bike from Suzuki.

The Shop

4/16/2020 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2020 5:25pm
C.Worthy wrote:
Doesn’t chicken still get free bikes and he’s long retired and he’s got no social following.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Not sure, but he did win 2 125 West coast titles.

Albertyn still gets a bike from Suzuki.
Honda is really weird about discounting product to employees or anyone else. I worked for them in sales for the better part of a decade, and I ended up buying bikes from my dealers because the price they gave me was better than the employee purchase discount! I’m very familiar with their sales and service agreement, and Honda’s attitude about this has nothing to do with the document. The current regime there does their best to beat the fun out of the powersports business.
I ran into Miguel Duhamel in Vegas several years ago and he told me he bought his CRF from a dealer because he couldn’t get a deal from Honda! This is a guy that won countless championships for them and won the Daytona 200 5 times back when it was the biggest motorcycle race in the world!
jemcee
4/16/2020 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2020 5:24pm
Cole seems like a good dude but like I said kinda seems like he thinks he's a bigger name than he is.. I just don't really think any of it needed to be said, as it's a very 'real world' situation to me..

Anyway I look forward to seeing what he does with it.. I really like his crf450

Edit: After reading the post above maybe Honda are especially tight with this stuff but again it's obviously not as personal as Cole seems to think it is
gnarwhip
4/16/2020 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2020 5:35pm
I don’t blame Cole. One new 450 is a drop in the ocean for a huge corporation like Honda. Kind of a slap in the face not to send one to his house, when so many less relevant guys still get free bikes. He has 500k ig followers, plus the YouTube vids, that’s a lot of eyeballs.
rohleder644
4/16/2020 5:28pm
Cole’s always seemed like a very chill dude. This move doesn’t seem to go along with that persona. Ain’t mad at the dude for switching brands, but the “fuck it, tell-all” route makes him seem wildly childish. Honda was plenty good to him. They (by his own admission) were very supportive through his injuries. You’d think they could find a few bikes to give him, but that doesn’t sound like honda’s MO. Buy a KTM and move on. Keep making videos. Keep being a cool dude.
4/16/2020 5:33pm
Let's not forget that if manufacturers start giving multiple bike to every social media star/ex-pro/retired rider/wheelie boy, we are, us dumb nobody, noname customer, paying for them, just like the marketing budget, factory race team and rider.

I don't know if you are like me, but i would prefer them giving away less bike and me paying a couple bucks less. Why would I pay for somebody else to live my dream life while I can't even live it. He's not to be pitied with the life he is living. Not at all.

P.S.: I am (perhaps was?) a fan, I've bought his merch and been following him for a long time.

P.S. 2 : also an Honda fan.
Johnny Depp
4/16/2020 5:35pm
Cole will go Red again as soon as the new '21's drop. Wait and see.

I think there's more he wants to get out, but crawfished after the response here.
Johnny Ringo
4/16/2020 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2020 5:38pm
He should quit crying. Chad fucking Reed has probably bought 20 bikes over the last two years.

Also cracks me up every time an ex pro or a guy between rides whines about buying a bike. Moto guys can be some of the most entitled dudes out there.
4/16/2020 5:51pm
I watched a couple of his vids, seemed cool like a ride along. Nice escape for me, better than a 60 vehicle pile up wed downtown Chicago. Helping 45 injured people Or now in s. Iowa in a 12 in snow storm. Every retired racer should get a bike or 4. A lot of politics in sports. I had numerous D1 basketball offers In 10 grade. I said 150k cash And a Porsche. I,m 15 and can make 600k a season in Europe. Cole racing 10 years at Honda is worth more than a free bike a year. The CEO Will get a 2-12 million dollar bonus.
GPrider
4/16/2020 6:05pm
why does Honda or any manufacturer owe any retired riders anything? They raced and were paid. At the end of the contract your both done. End of story. Honda paid him in cash. Unless his contract included free bikes after he retires, they dont owe him crap and he owes them nothing also. So he should have just left it at that. Buy whatever you want, its your business. Oh ya, so if Honda asks Cole to test ride for them to develop bikes, is he going to do it for free? Why not, they stood behind him for all those years right? They had his back. So using his logic, he should just do it for free as a loyal rider for all those years.
brocster
4/16/2020 6:22pm
Would any of you pay full retail for a used bike??? Neither would Cole!

That is all...
4/16/2020 6:28pm
brocster wrote:

That is all...
When he got it it was brand new and he didn't pay shit. It's just a delayed payment.
MelonFan123
4/16/2020 6:29pm
I don't get the hate. He just explained what happened in a brutally honest way! Isn't that what we all want? People are always complaining about the "hush hush" nature of this industry and how things never come out. I love Cole's transparency!

I think he had a plan post-retirement and that he's been consciously building up his channel to support that plan. So I can see it being a kick in the gut that Honda denied him.

IMO he did have a point on his 450L. That was one of the first "builds" of that bike and it did get a lot of attention among off-road and dual sport circles. He probably did persuade some people into purchasing one like he mentioned.

What's funny is look how many FREE red bikes are in the garages of Donn Maeda, Kris Keefer, Jody Weisel, Pingree, etc. The brass at Honda have no problem giving free bikes to them. One can make the argument - because trust me I actually have in my professional life - there are several "influencers" that are more valuable to a brand than a traditional media outlet.

I think Cole should have maybe bitten the bullet, bought a Honda and prove his worth so to speak. He's pretty early into the Vlogging/Content Creator thing and like any other profession (because trust me, it is one) you have to pay your dues.

Chance1216
4/16/2020 6:39pm
I watched a couple of his vids, seemed cool like a ride along. Nice escape for me, better than a 60 vehicle pile up wed downtown...
I watched a couple of his vids, seemed cool like a ride along. Nice escape for me, better than a 60 vehicle pile up wed downtown Chicago. Helping 45 injured people Or now in s. Iowa in a 12 in snow storm. Every retired racer should get a bike or 4. A lot of politics in sports. I had numerous D1 basketball offers In 10 grade. I said 150k cash And a Porsche. I,m 15 and can make 600k a season in Europe. Cole racing 10 years at Honda is worth more than a free bike a year. The CEO Will get a 2-12 million dollar bonus.
Yep.
TeamGreen
4/16/2020 6:39pm
I don't get the hate. He just explained what happened in a brutally honest way! Isn't that what we all want? People are always complaining about...
I don't get the hate. He just explained what happened in a brutally honest way! Isn't that what we all want? People are always complaining about the "hush hush" nature of this industry and how things never come out. I love Cole's transparency!

I think he had a plan post-retirement and that he's been consciously building up his channel to support that plan. So I can see it being a kick in the gut that Honda denied him.

IMO he did have a point on his 450L. That was one of the first "builds" of that bike and it did get a lot of attention among off-road and dual sport circles. He probably did persuade some people into purchasing one like he mentioned.

What's funny is look how many FREE red bikes are in the garages of Donn Maeda, Kris Keefer, Jody Weisel, Pingree, etc. The brass at Honda have no problem giving free bikes to them. One can make the argument - because trust me I actually have in my professional life - there are several "influencers" that are more valuable to a brand than a traditional media outlet.

I think Cole should have maybe bitten the bullet, bought a Honda and prove his worth so to speak. He's pretty early into the Vlogging/Content Creator thing and like any other profession (because trust me, it is one) you have to pay your dues.

Mr. Speaker, I'd like to concur with all the statements made by the gentleman from just slightly north of me.

I yield back.
4/16/2020 6:45pm
GPrider wrote:
why does Honda or any manufacturer owe any retired riders anything? They raced and were paid. At the end of the contract your both done. End...
why does Honda or any manufacturer owe any retired riders anything? They raced and were paid. At the end of the contract your both done. End of story. Honda paid him in cash. Unless his contract included free bikes after he retires, they dont owe him crap and he owes them nothing also. So he should have just left it at that. Buy whatever you want, its your business. Oh ya, so if Honda asks Cole to test ride for them to develop bikes, is he going to do it for free? Why not, they stood behind him for all those years right? They had his back. So using his logic, he should just do it for free as a loyal rider for all those years.
I think the retired racers all get screwed. Nothing for retirement, when a nfl chump gets 6 figure retirement. 1994 drill rig mechanic rate was 78.00 double time sat,sun 13.50 into pension. That is Phily,nj rate. The riders deserve something, not just a IC contractor check.
brocster
4/16/2020 7:04pm
brocster wrote:

That is all...
When he got it it was brand new and he didn't pay shit. It's just a delayed payment.
GLWS
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/16/2020 7:16pm
No offense to Cole and I was always a fan, but how many championships did he bring Honda?

He’s not an MC, RC, RV or RD. I can understand Honda not wanting to give him bikes.
okieonayamaha
Fantasy
1246th
4/16/2020 7:25pm
Just take some of that big chunk of money people claim he has and be a part owner of Geico Honda. Dungey gone now so I’m sure they could figure out something. Doesn’t need to be a 50/50 deal with money I would think. Then he obviously gets some bikes and gets to do a bit of testing for them too. He could be testing and still filming for his YouTube content. I’ll be here patiently waiting for some royalties from this idea Cole lol.
8tensolutions
4/16/2020 7:30pm
gambin87 wrote:
Honestly, I don’t blame Cole. He rode for Honda his entire pro career, sure he only won 1 premier class main, but he was always a...
Honestly, I don’t blame Cole.

He rode for Honda his entire pro career, sure he only won 1 premier class main, but he was always a front runner represented himself and his brands well, was always good to the youth and fans! Guy lived and breathed racing and racing for Honda. After he retired he has bought every bike he has built. Purchased his 450L himself, his 110 himself and bought his straight rhythm 250 off craigslist, sure the race team got him that motor he used but he had to dial In himself. Corporate Honda lent him a 450r to ride for a little and then requested he purchase it at full price. If I was put in that position after 10 plus years with a brand that they simply couldn’t give you one used bike or at least give you a “deal” on it I’d be upset too.
With all that being said I don’t blame him for buying a KTM and seeing what all these other brands are about, why support a brand that doesnt want to support you anymore. I respect Cole for buying these bikes out of pocket building them and riding the hell out of them. Non of you keyboard warriors race supercross or could ever hold a candle stick to cole. Riding in the hills with your buddy’s, hitting the desert, ripping some single track and still motoring laps at the local track is what we all Like to do and that’s exactly what he’s doing with his retirement. Not looking to be a brand ambassador just looks like a guy that wants to build cool shit and ride fun stuff with some support from brand he raced his career for. In my mind this Cole is a hell of a lot more relatable and a lot mote fun to watch.
kiwifan wrote:
First post huh? So how is that different to any other rider in the past? You sure as heck do not see them complaining about not...
First post huh?

So how is that different to any other rider in the past? You sure as heck do not see them complaining about not getting freebies or deals from the brands they rode.

Also. Can we put some perspective on this, every industry (including Honda) are or will be going through significant financial hardship due to COVID-19, therefore perhaps what a company might of given before may not give now. Is that unreasonable given the current situation? No. For all we know (and no one here knows, I am speculating as well), that is why Cole is not getting what he thinks he deserves (?) from Honda.
gambin87 wrote:
Ya first post. I’m a fan of Seelys have always respected him as a rider and had to make an account and reply because this entire...
Ya first post.
I’m a fan of Seelys have always respected him as a rider and had to make an account and reply because this entire thread was just one big Seely bash. All I’m saying is There’s 2 sides to every story and I get where he’s coming from, I personally would be frustrated too. Im not even saying everything he thinks in this situation is right, agreed parts could have been handled better. Just saying I get it, there’s amateur riders on 85s out here getting more support from other brands then he is from Honda during retirement. People saying what he does with his social media isn’t good advertisement are insane, guy advertises bikes to over 500,000 people every single day, I feel like that’s probably worth a bike or 2.
So the last time you quit a job, but still posted about the company on social media, they continued to supply you with massive discounts/free product?
8tensolutions
4/16/2020 7:33pm
gambin87 wrote:
Hope the best for you Kbach, that’s horrible to hear. But honestly am I the only one that thinks this goes back prior to covid-19 considering...
Hope the best for you Kbach, that’s horrible to hear.

But honestly am I the only one that thinks this goes back prior to covid-19 considering all the bikes he’s talking about go back 6+ months???? He clearly stated hes purchased every bike post retirement out of pocket and the decision to purchase the KTM was strictly because he was able to purchase the KTM for cheaper then the Demo bike Honda want him to either purchase or give back?? I just don’t see what’s wrong with that. Seems like a pretty easy decision from a financial stand point, used Honda for more money or a new KTM for less....
Yo Cole you can use your real account we all know its you
gambin87 wrote:
Shit I wish, Im a broke ass construction worker that only gets to ride my 09 450x on the weekends. Believe me if I could afford...
Shit I wish, Im a broke ass construction worker that only gets to ride my 09 450x on the weekends. Believe me if I could afford to buy a new bike I wouldn’t be complaining about buying a new bike.
It's not that he chose the KTM, it's that he is butthurt at Honda as if they owe him something and they do not.

8tensolutions
4/16/2020 7:38pm
I watched a couple of his vids, seemed cool like a ride along. Nice escape for me, better than a 60 vehicle pile up wed downtown...
The CEO is still producing results and making the tough decisions along with leading the entire company., not filming project bikes and riding in the hills. You people that think executives are do-nothing idiots are very mistaken.
gambin87
4/16/2020 7:45pm
Yo Cole you can use your real account we all know its you
gambin87 wrote:
Shit I wish, Im a broke ass construction worker that only gets to ride my 09 450x on the weekends. Believe me if I could afford...
Shit I wish, Im a broke ass construction worker that only gets to ride my 09 450x on the weekends. Believe me if I could afford to buy a new bike I wouldn’t be complaining about buying a new bike.
It's not that he chose the KTM, it's that he is butthurt at Honda as if they owe him something and they do not.

I don’t think he’s butthurt about anyone owing him anything, just seems like he’s tired of giving Honda free advertisement and not getting anything in return. Go on his IG it looks like a damn Honda commercial advertised directly at 500,000 people in the Moto community. As an IG follower I personally was under the impression he still had full backing from honda Just by the way he still promoted the brand. Im not saying they owe him shit or they should be backing him I’m just saying I’d be pissed too. I Use to manage a golf course in AZ, quit and left on good terms, 10 years later I still get free golf.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
4/16/2020 7:50pm
"Go on his IG it looks like a damn Honda commercial..."

That was part of his job.
dean122
4/16/2020 7:50pm
I like Cole and wish him the best. I think the overblown attention was not his intention. He's a good dude and unfortunately the Vital collective is running low on insignificant topics such as this to focus their negative energy.
gambin87
4/16/2020 7:53pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
"Go on his IG it looks like a damn Honda commercial..."

That was part of his job.
Exactly, wasssss part of his job hasn’t been part of his job for the last what 6 months or more??? yet he continued to promote them like it still was his job.

Post a reply to: What is Cole talking about

The Latest