What in the shit is going on here???

Related:
Create New Tag

4/10/2018 6:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2018 6:55 PM

I’ve tried researching similar issues with no luck. I have a 2008.5 RMZ450 that has been slowly leaking oil on the bottom bolt of my magneto cover. At first I thought, “well, looks like I need a new cover gasket. NOPE.....changed that fucker twice with OEM gasket. Same shit. That’s when I realized it’s coming from the bottom bolt of the cover. I don’t know what else to do here. I even ordered a new gasket washer as the service manual suggests. But yet, she’s still dripping like an old faucet. Anyone ever have this problem? It’s annoying the hell out of me. What’s the fix guys??Photo

Photo

Photo

|

4/10/2018 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2018 7:00 PM

Torque the bolts per the spec evenly and in a progressively criss-cross pattern. The cover is probably all warped to hell.

|

4/10/2018 7:00 PM

much ty

|

4/10/2018 7:07 PM

That has all been done already.

|

4/10/2018 7:09 PM

Thanks anyways zhen, but “much ty” isn’t helpful info.

|

4/10/2018 7:16 PM

Sounds like the cover is damaged in some way where that bolt goes.

|

4/10/2018 7:36 PM

Yep. I guess a new cover would be my last resort.

|

4/10/2018 7:41 PM

Lightly sand the mating surfaces to remove anything that could prevent it from sealing. If that won't work, new cover.

|

4/10/2018 7:43 PM

Did you try using a small amount of silicone on both sides of the gasket?

|

4/10/2018 8:02 PM

Yeah most likely the cover is warped.

I take it the cover is indented where it meets the case so you can resurface it?
If so new cover but check that the case surface is flat as well before you buy and make sure you criss-cross tighten but never fully tighten one bolt before starting on the next. Always go gradual.

Good luck.

|

4/10/2018 8:03 PM

Try this sealer, put a real light coating on both sides of the gasket.

Also look real hard and make sure that the leak isn't somewhere else and just collecting there.

Photo

|

4/10/2018 8:11 PM

Isn't it just a drain bolt? Is it supposed to have a copper washer on it?

|

4/10/2018 8:53 PM

What in the shit is much ty even!? Seriously haha

|

4/11/2018 4:41 AM

Thanks fellas, gonna dick around with it this weekend.

|

4/11/2018 4:43 AM

CASH476 wrote:

Isn't it just a drain bolt? Is it supposed to have a copper washer on it?

Yeah, It’s a drain bolt, but I ordered the correct washer for it. Half rubber / metal type washer.

|

4/11/2018 5:35 PM

Those covers are really weak, you might have a small crack from a rock. Mine did the same, and I found the problem and sealed it with a small amount of jb weld

|

4/11/2018 6:52 PM

Braaaphole wrote:

Lightly sand the mating surfaces to remove anything that could prevent it from sealing. If that won't work, new cover.

Here’s a tip. Never “lightly sand” any motor component.

If you need to lap the cover to the case, they need to be done on a surface plate and I would use some coloring to identify any high or low places.

You might just have to let it piss until you are ready for the next crank job. When the bottom is split, that’s when you should do it.

|

4/11/2018 7:23 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

Here’s a tip. Never “lightly sand” any motor component.

If you need to lap the cover to the case, they need to be done on a surface plate and I would use some coloring to identify any high or low places.

You might just have to let it piss until you are ready for the next crank job. When the bottom is split, that’s when you should do it.

lol, how much material do you think someone is going to remove by rubbing some 400 grit over it a couple of times. It takes a little work just to get gasket material off.
There's nothing wrong with cleaning up the mating surfaces.

|

4/11/2018 7:38 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Those covers are really weak, you might have a small crack from a rock. Mine did the same, and I found the problem and sealed it with a small amount of jb weld

Well Bruce...that could be a possibility. But, just maybe I didn’t inspect everything close enough. The mating surfaces didn’t appear to have any gouges or cracks. Hell, it may be something simple. But either way, it’s driving me nuts. Honestly, I hope there is some sort of crack. At least I know that could be a cheaper repair than a new cover.

|

4/12/2018 12:23 AM

FCMX wrote:

Yeah, It’s a drain bolt, but I ordered the correct washer for it. Half rubber / metal type washer.

If you aren't currently using the correct metal/rubber washer then I expect this is where your problem is. So try this first before doing anything else.

|

@russ_69

4/12/2018 2:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2018 2:55 AM

If I’m understanding this right, sealing the cover isn’t going to stop a leak from an oil drain plug residing behind that cover. You’ll get a nice pool of oil inside though.

|

4/22/2018 9:15 AM

Well well. Looky what I discovered today! Photo Photo

|

4/22/2018 9:24 AM

Well, now I know I have a cracked cover, but now I also know why oil is constantly dripping from the drain bolt. This is what I pulled out of the hole. Looks like I might have to re-tap & thread it. Photo Photo

|

4/22/2018 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/22/2018 11:21 AM

There are various inserts that'll make the oil drain bolt hole much more durable (in the engine-case). Also, a good cleaning of the crack and then apply some epoxy all the way thru the opening and flare it on both sides (inside and out).

Good Luck!

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

4/22/2018 11:31 AM

I'd squish some JB through the crack (clean) from inside to out. Mabey chase the threads and see if a slightly longer bolt will catch some more threads before bottoming out - if not. TimeSert

|

4/22/2018 11:40 AM

Jb weld is done. That was an easy fix. But now the bolt situation. Even though I re threaded it. The threads aren’t deep enough now, so basically it will not tighten up. My next option is to use a 7mm tap and buy a 7mm bolt to match.

|

4/22/2018 11:43 AM

Does anyone know if I could get a time-sert kit locally? As in auto store or Lowe’s?

|

4/22/2018 11:59 AM

FCMX wrote:

Does anyone know if I could get a time-sert kit locally? As in auto store or Lowe’s?

You will have to probably order one. My local box stores don’t carry them

|

4/22/2018 2:13 PM

Wonder if this would work? Photo

|

4/25/2018 4:44 AM

No comments? Anyone?

|