What if your gate doesn't drop?

Edited Date/Time 10/27/2014 2:16pm
I'm sure most of you have seen it when there is a failure with the start gate and some of the gates don't drop so usually they restart the race. I always wonder though, what if only one of the gates didn't drop, would the organisers still red flag and restart? In theory they should restart every time until all the gates drop together to make it fair for everyone. I've seen it where races have had to be restarted 2-3 times in a row because gates kept staying up.

Anyone ever had any experiences with this, whether it be from a rider or an organiser point of view? Imagine you won the first 2 races of the day and then in the final race your gate didnt drop and the organisers didn't restart, what would you do and how far would you go to get the situation rectified? Do you just go around the gate and try to make as many passes as possible or do you go straight to the organisers/starter or whoever and complain at the risk of being told "just get on with it" and missing any chance you had to salvage the race? Just something I've always thought about.
|
10/26/2014 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2014 3:43pm
It happened at one of the supercross races last year. They red flagged the race and restarted it.
Zracer
10/26/2014 3:51pm
I had a couple races where the entire gate system was fubar and we started off a green flag. Ive never seen a race not restart with a gate malfunction.
NorcalVet
10/26/2014 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2014 5:31pm
I just do this

thekendogg
10/26/2014 5:25pm
Title contender's gate doesn't drop = red flag & restart

Little billy who makes up the numbers' gate doesn't drop = nothing

That's the sad reality of motocross, and I've seen this both at my local amateur races and professional too.

On another note, do I not remember at a national a few years ago that Pourcel and maybe one or two others' gates bounced of the start causing them to get held up? I remember a few complaints at the time but nothing was ever done about it. I wonder what the official rule is, the gate not dropping or the gate not malfunctioning correctly (the latter probably applicable in pourcel's case).

The Shop

10/26/2014 5:29pm
This reminds me of an race of myself really long ago (early 2000's in the 80cc class back then). They had this really fucked up starting gate that was just 1 big gate not a seperate piece for every rider. One of the kids jumped to early and the gate dropped about a quarter of the way down and got stock in his wheel. About half of the field crashed into the gate with some riders getting thrown over the bars onto the start straight carnage all over the place. Eventually the gate dropped and some kids where completing there first laps but they decided to red flag it and restart it (obviously needed big time). I believe they installed a new starting gate pretty quickly after this incident! (Happened at Rilland-Bath, Netherlands for those interested)
10/26/2014 5:34pm
@thekendogg - I was actually searching for the video of pourcel before I started this topic but couldn't find it, I know it's out there somewhere.

I did find this video, as you can see it completely messes your race up if they don't restart. Unless there is video evidence or someone witnesses it then the organisers might not even realise.

IWreckALot
10/26/2014 5:42pm
Zracer wrote:
I had a couple races where the entire gate system was fubar and we started off a green flag. Ive never seen a race not restart...
I had a couple races where the entire gate system was fubar and we started off a green flag. Ive never seen a race not restart with a gate malfunction.
Yeah. I've never seen a gate malfunction more than once (except the split start at MEC the first year). On a local level, if it malfunctions twice, time to break out the green flag and say to hell with the gate.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
10/26/2014 7:13pm
NorcalVet wrote:
I just do this [URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/450guy/media/JLAWIZZ_2.gif.html][IMG]http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc327/450guy/JLAWIZZ_2.gif[/IMG][/URL]
I just do this

That's the way I'd do it too. Lolol
Grizz
10/26/2014 7:51pm
Happened to me this year. I just yelled at the guy in the box to call a red flag because I won the first moto Laughing They red flagged it.
wwoberg
10/26/2014 8:00pm
One time, at a local track which no longer runs, we were in the 2nd gate and there was a first turn pileup on the first gate. As I was sitting there, looking at the mess, the starter puts up the 1 card, then drops it sideways and the gate drops. I'm sitting there and everyone takes off. I then takeoff, stop at the scoring tower and ask what the hell is wring with u people?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/26/2014 11:55pm
TripleFive wrote:
[img]http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/christophe-pourcel-motocross-thunder-valley-05.jpg[/img]
Was that when his gate dropped and then bounced back up and caught him ?
jock
Fantasy
1st
10/27/2014 2:06am
NorcalVet wrote:
I just do this [URL=http://media.photobucket.com/user/450guy/media/JLAWIZZ_2.gif.html][IMG]http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc327/450guy/JLAWIZZ_2.gif[/IMG][/URL]
I just do this

langhammx wrote:
That's the way I'd do it too. Lolol
J-law - Fuck waiting for this gate to drop, I have a rental car waiting for me in the camping area.
IWreckALot
10/27/2014 4:37am
TripleFive wrote:
[img]http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/christophe-pourcel-motocross-thunder-valley-05.jpg[/img]
lostboy819 wrote:
It absolutely was.
Gringoe
10/27/2014 5:10am Edited Date/Time 10/27/2014 5:11am
TripleFive wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
It absolutely was.
I couldn't believe they didn't restart that
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
10/27/2014 5:40am
@thekendogg - I was actually searching for the video of pourcel before I started this topic but couldn't find it, I know it's out there somewhere...
@thekendogg - I was actually searching for the video of pourcel before I started this topic but couldn't find it, I know it's out there somewhere.

I did find this video, as you can see it completely messes your race up if they don't restart. Unless there is video evidence or someone witnesses it then the organisers might not even realise.

He got what he deserved for revving that 4-stroke like he was clearing out a 2-stroke.
Robgvx
10/27/2014 8:30am
Kurt Nicoll lost the world championship because of exactly this issue.

In the British 500GP in about 1992(?) Kurt Nicoll's gate didn't drop at Hawkstone Park. It was still standing there, erect, as he complained to officials. They did nothing. After like a lap or two he eventually re-joined the race. He was so far back, and incredibly pissed off, that he pulled out. He went on to lose the series by a couple of points to Jobe.

However In a previous British championship race in the 80s Dave Thorpe's gate didn't drop. He complained. The race was re-started.

10/27/2014 10:33am
No way, do you know what the reasoning behind that was? Who was running the event? Thanks for sharing that story.

I found the video of Pourcels gate bouncing, go to about 41:30 to see it and hear Pourcel talk about it.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/27/2014 2:16pm
Gringoe wrote:
I couldn't believe they didn't restart that
well technically the gate DID drop, it just bounced back up.Cool

Post a reply to: What if your gate doesn't drop?

The Latest