What if Tesla actually made a bike.

aroark247
12/10/2019 6:54am
If Nikola Tesla did that would be awesome. Elon Musk not so much
davis224
Fantasy
138th
12/10/2019 7:01am
back to the topic tho, it would be interesting from a pure design point of view, ( form AND function ) if we can save the...
back to the topic tho,
it would be interesting from a pure design point of view, ( form AND function )
if we can save the performance and ethical issues aside for another thread,
how could Tesla disrupt the conventionality of current designs?

How about staying open minded, just for the sake of this thread, and think WHAT and HOW an outsider would disrupt or innovate here.
Yes, there is a reason why and how things are. There are so many " logics" and pragmatic, proven methods of doing things , for example, in the car industry, the reason WHY things are the way they are today.
Yet , Tesla was able to innovate, not always sticking to proven solutions and conventions. it's not all working out, but at least there is an intent.
Just like some of us miss the old days of exotic full factory works bikes from the 80s, a tesla-cybertruck-alike attitude toward our machines could be refreshing, just from a pure design point of view.
RELAX GUYS.. they won't pry your gasoline traditional bikes from your cold dead grips... yet Smile
let's welcome exotic designs, hopefully the cream rise to the top... you don't like it you don't buy it.
About me: I have dozen of dirt bikes, new and old, including the electric Freeride, AND I am still buying two strokes for 2020 Smile
But think for a second, what would Tesla do? I kinda miss the old XRs how the tank was only on top, no radiators,
yet today most bikes have the language of the CRF radiator shrouds. Even if air-cooled. It has become a diktat for any bike manufacturer to have that shroud with curves etc...
We spend mucho $$$ on radiator guards and yet bike shrouds are cosmetic and can be torn off, I found that Aprilia for example, had horrible stylish shrouds with hard edges that would dig in my legs...
but.. what if .. like the armored steel of the cybertruck, our dirt bike shrouds were treated like.. SKID PLATES?
I could do all sort of dragging, extreme enduro gnarly pushing, sliding and not worrying about the soft Polypropylene shrouds being deeply scarred, cut or torn?
what if the Tesla dirt bike came with a refueling flying drone? can you imagine theses refueling drones positionning themselves across the desert and you could just ride a sub 250lbs bike from refueling point to another... just thinking aloud blue sky stuff guys...
what if the tesla came with an active steering stabilizer and the motor rotor had an individual spinning flywheel that could be used as a gyro, so you could clutch it or use it as a stabilizing system... and the bike would assist you partially.. and at very high speed, like dakar or baja, the flywheel could in a fraction of a second generate stabilizing forces to save you from a nasty crash?
Ok, to those infuriated at this idea, we do have power steering on cars, automatic shifting and GPS and more so save me the " ooh you're just a puss, I'm a real man, I'm a real rider I don't need no stinking technology, arghhhh "
I could see the tesla dirt bike having LEDs headlights coming from the front fender sides, and the whole body architecture could be interesting besides just styling.
Again, I am aware that the dirt bike market is a niche, we are not the forefront of technology. What are we bringing , technology wise, to the masses?
But imagine if Tesla could bridge the gap between full dirt and just 2 wheels. 2 wheels are very attractive but not everybody has the skills to fully appreciate it off-road....
Just dreaming.
cheers guys, Love you all. And still LOVE my carbureted , powervalve-less dinosaur fuel burning cylinders.
I've wondered about this with different industries, if an engineer came in with the idea to "give us what we need, not what we want", what design would they come up with that seems like it should have been such a no brainer? I like the idea of ditching decorative plastics for more of a "skid plate" style guard. Switching over to guitars, I love the looks of a good Les Paul, but in theory, a headless mutiscale guitar should be more practical with tuning/intonation and string tension.
Johnny Depp
12/10/2019 8:14am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2019 8:21am
The big 6 will continue too produce ICE until they are shit up again by the EPA. Why else did they go too 4 strokes? And...
The big 6 will continue too produce ICE until they are shit up again by the EPA. Why else did they go too 4 strokes? And mind you.. the first electric car was made in 1832! 18 fuckin 32! Electric will never be as profitable as ICE for all big name companies in the world. They will hold out for as long as possible
EPA never did anything. The manufacturer's caved on a threat. For closed course machines.
2 strokes are just as legal now as ever for dirt bikes.

Witch hunt hoax.
12/10/2019 8:35am
Y’all know not all Tesla’s look like the Cybertruck right?

The Shop

12/10/2019 9:42am
davis224 wrote:
Is this suppose to be your drop the mic moment? That article does not mention the cost to produce an EV vehicle and the damage it...
Is this suppose to be your drop the mic moment? That article does not mention the cost to produce an EV vehicle and the damage it does to the environment. It only talks about the operation of one.
Lithium ore can be found throughout the world. Why is it only mined and refined in poor countries with no environmental laws. Cobalt is another.
davis224 wrote:
Not looking for a "mic drop" moment, just trying to have a civil conversation of presenting information. This one explains it better. (Long story short, over...
Not looking for a "mic drop" moment, just trying to have a civil conversation of presenting information. This one explains it better. (Long story short, over the whole life of the vehicle, it claims EVs end in an 18% reduction in carbon emissions, after being up to 68% "dirtier" in the manufacturing stage)
https://theconversation.com/climate-explained-the-environmental-footprint-of-electric-versus-fossil-cars-124762
Your article is based on a Chinese study comparing Chinese based gas cars to ev. Big difference in american gas cars then chinese gas cars. Also they point to new Zealand with a 70% renewable energy grid. Give me a study from the USA I'll believe you.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
12/10/2019 11:09am
Is this suppose to be your drop the mic moment? That article does not mention the cost to produce an EV vehicle and the damage it...
Is this suppose to be your drop the mic moment? That article does not mention the cost to produce an EV vehicle and the damage it does to the environment. It only talks about the operation of one.
Lithium ore can be found throughout the world. Why is it only mined and refined in poor countries with no environmental laws. Cobalt is another.
davis224 wrote:
Not looking for a "mic drop" moment, just trying to have a civil conversation of presenting information. This one explains it better. (Long story short, over...
Not looking for a "mic drop" moment, just trying to have a civil conversation of presenting information. This one explains it better. (Long story short, over the whole life of the vehicle, it claims EVs end in an 18% reduction in carbon emissions, after being up to 68% "dirtier" in the manufacturing stage)
https://theconversation.com/climate-explained-the-environmental-footprint-of-electric-versus-fossil-cars-124762
Your article is based on a Chinese study comparing Chinese based gas cars to ev. Big difference in american gas cars then chinese gas cars. Also...
Your article is based on a Chinese study comparing Chinese based gas cars to ev. Big difference in american gas cars then chinese gas cars. Also they point to new Zealand with a 70% renewable energy grid. Give me a study from the USA I'll believe you.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
12/10/2019 1:19pm
You guys are killing this thread... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/10/390415/s1200_sheldoncooper.jpg[/img]
You guys are killing this thread...

Sorry! Ok, so what would be more of an impact on the MX scene, a complete new design by Tesla that might not necessarily be a purpose made racer, or a converted YZ250 chassis with an electric motor with 450 level power with a longer battery life than the Alta?
Johnny Depp
12/10/2019 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2019 2:53pm
You guys are killing this thread... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/10/390415/s1200_sheldoncooper.jpg[/img]

davis224 wrote:
Sorry! Ok, so what would be more of an impact on the MX scene, a complete new design by Tesla that might not necessarily be a...
Sorry! Ok, so what would be more of an impact on the MX scene, a complete new design by Tesla that might not necessarily be a purpose made racer, or a converted YZ250 chassis with an electric motor with 450 level power with a longer battery life than the Alta?
What I'd want from Tesla is to break new ground, and it doesn't have to be a dedicated race platform.

Imagine a lightweight adventure bike, without all the room and weight for 8 gallons of gas...
Imagine a race platform that weighs in more like a mountain bike..
Imagine a street legal dirt bike that could go a week without charging...
Imagine batteries at half the weight, and 5 times the capacity, that lasted "forever"....

You'd think I'm crazy, but it may be that's why some companies are waiting, the next big thing may be right around the corner. I mentioned it earlier, and no one picked up on it. There is already a car out there doing these types of ridiculous things, and with solar...

The days of trying to make an Alta compete with a weight penalty, and putting dry ice on your battery before a race will be looked back upon fondly as the beginning.

There are already lots of DIY conversions around, even for MX bikes. Garage guys and some really good looking stuff experimenting. I'd buy that YZ today.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
12/10/2019 3:08pm

davis224 wrote:
Sorry! Ok, so what would be more of an impact on the MX scene, a complete new design by Tesla that might not necessarily be a...
What I'd want from Tesla is to break new ground, and it doesn't have to be a dedicated race platform. Imagine a lightweight adventure bike, without...
What I'd want from Tesla is to break new ground, and it doesn't have to be a dedicated race platform.

Imagine a lightweight adventure bike, without all the room and weight for 8 gallons of gas...
Imagine a race platform that weighs in more like a mountain bike..
Imagine a street legal dirt bike that could go a week without charging...
Imagine batteries at half the weight, and 5 times the capacity, that lasted "forever"....

You'd think I'm crazy, but it may be that's why some companies are waiting, the next big thing may be right around the corner. I mentioned it earlier, and no one picked up on it. There is already a car out there doing these types of ridiculous things, and with solar...

The days of trying to make an Alta compete with a weight penalty, and putting dry ice on your battery before a race will be looked back upon fondly as the beginning.

There are already lots of DIY conversions around, even for MX bikes. Garage guys and some really good looking stuff experimenting. I'd buy that YZ today.
That's the future I want to live in. A slightly beefier mountain bike at 100 lbs with about 20 hp on tap? That sounds amazingly fun.
12/11/2019 8:20am
Y’all know not all Tesla’s look like the Cybertruck right? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/10/390394/s1200_4F636334_A6E3_4E81_985A_2D0C15E45BE0.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/12/10/390395/s1200_126F0C5A_D9EE_4795_97BD_7A2B63994666.jpg[/img]
Y’all know not all Tesla’s look like the Cybertruck right?

I love the look of the tesla cars. I recommend everyone should drive one. Stupid amount of acceleration stock
wsmille2
12/11/2019 11:07am

It’s been a few weeks since Elon Musk shattered expectations with his polarizing polygonal Cybertruck, and the shocks keep coming: The Tesla CEO has revealed there’s a new ultra-tough trailer in the works, as well as another Cybertruck configuration designed specifically for camping.

Musk said that Tesla is planning a “sick attachment for the Cybertruck,” according to Electrek, and the marque subsequently released a new render of the electric pickup truck with its own trailer. As you would expect, the Cybertruck’s singular “monoplane” design extends to the trailer—it’s just as curve averse and looks like a Cubist’s take on an Airstream. It’s just an exterior rendering, so both layout and interior features remain a mystery—for now, at least.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/11/2019 11:11am
^^^ Those were released on the same day as the truck reveal.

Post a reply to: What if Tesla actually made a bike.

The Latest