What happens when a racer gets injured?

Roostermx58
Edited Date/Time 1/30/2015 7:48pm
I've wondered this for a while now so thought I would ask the question. How does it work when a racer gets injured during the season? Is the team still paying them a regular salary? Is there some clause in the contact that says if you're not performing/racing then your paycheck will be reduced? How do some teams afford to bring someone else on the payroll following an injured rider?

Take for example Darryn Durham. It seems like that kid doesn't have any luck and is always getting injured. I assume he is getting his regular salary while being injured? Is he still getting his contract endorsements through his individual sponsors as well?
|
Olson
1/30/2015 12:08pm
Different kind of contracts on different teams. I can only assume that even performance based conracts do have some kind of base salary. And if the contract is written for a certain period, the base salary will be paid even if the rider is injured. Just like in any other form of sports. If the contract ends early both parties must agree on it and some sort of compensation paid to the leaving party.
racer369
1/30/2015 12:20pm
He says, %%&**^%@$^*&^%$$#%&&& that hurt!
1/30/2015 1:03pm
Usually, they get a portion of their salary while being injured, and then go back to full pay when racing again. But like Olson said, it really depends on if its a performance based contract or not. Guys like Ricky and James probably got paid pretty well regardless, but on some satellite and non factory teams its likely to be lowered when someone gets hurt. At least that's how it was a few years ago when I was more in tune with what Kyle was doing.
rt987
1/30/2015 1:26pm
I remember hearing that some guys (eg Durham) are "high risk" so they would run off of a lower salary, but higher bonuses. For a guy like Dungey who is "low risk" he would have a higher salary and lower bonuses. That was how a Canadian pro explained it to me, might be different elsewhere.

The Shop

BobbyM
1/30/2015 1:40pm
rt987 wrote:
I remember hearing that some guys (eg Durham) are "high risk" so they would run off of a lower salary, but higher bonuses. For a guy...
I remember hearing that some guys (eg Durham) are "high risk" so they would run off of a lower salary, but higher bonuses. For a guy like Dungey who is "low risk" he would have a higher salary and lower bonuses. That was how a Canadian pro explained it to me, might be different elsewhere.
DUNGEY GETS THAT maximum regardless as well he should I would think.
IWreckALot
1/30/2015 1:40pm
rt987 wrote:
I remember hearing that some guys (eg Durham) are "high risk" so they would run off of a lower salary, but higher bonuses. For a guy...
I'd be shocked to hear that riders like Dungey had anything that was "low" in their contract. Lol. I'm sure you meant as a percentage of overall compensation though.

Maybe a high risk guy would have a 75% performance contract and 25% base salary whereas a guy like Dungey has an 80% base salary and 20% performance bonus.

There seems to be a LOT that goes into negotiating with a team. The team has to meet sponsor obligations, which means they're probably limited in what they can offer a rider.
IWreckALot
1/30/2015 1:43pm
That makes me wonder how things between Reed and Grant are right now. Seems like Grant was brought in as a guy that could hopefully get good results but more importantly be a guy that can carry the torch if Reed were to become injured again. With Grant having lots of problems so far, I imagine the pressure is back on Reed. Not that it's a bad thing because Reed seems to be willing to step up to the plate and answer that pressure. I'm in for that. Just wonder how his attitude is with Grant right now.
Roostermx58
1/30/2015 2:38pm
That raises my next question, How much of the winnings per race go to the riders? Do they split with their mechanic? Does the mechanic still get paid if their rider is injured? Seems like there would be not a whole not to do if you have a mechanic per race bike.
rt987
1/30/2015 4:57pm
I used the example of Dungey because we are all familiar with his consistency.
gharmon
1/30/2015 5:22pm
racer369 wrote:
He says, %%&**^%@$^*&^%$$#%&&& that hurt!
On my last wreck that isn't anywhere the amount of dirty words I used. I asked my grandson (6y/o) this past weekend how did he know paw paw was hurt when he wrecked ( he was riding with us that da). He looked at me with his little sheepish grin and said cause you was saying a lot of cuss words paw paw!!! That's my little riding buddy!!
superorbital
1/30/2015 6:53pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That makes me wonder how things between Reed and Grant are right now. Seems like Grant was brought in as a guy that could hopefully get...
That makes me wonder how things between Reed and Grant are right now. Seems like Grant was brought in as a guy that could hopefully get good results but more importantly be a guy that can carry the torch if Reed were to become injured again. With Grant having lots of problems so far, I imagine the pressure is back on Reed. Not that it's a bad thing because Reed seems to be willing to step up to the plate and answer that pressure. I'm in for that. Just wonder how his attitude is with Grant right now.
I wonder the exact same thing. I would be like "If you are racing against me on my team, you better be beating me. Otherwise, what is the point of me having you on my team?"
rpoint116
1/30/2015 7:08pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That makes me wonder how things between Reed and Grant are right now. Seems like Grant was brought in as a guy that could hopefully get...
Reed shouldn't complain about Grant ... In regards to how he layed down on Kawasaki a few years back.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
1/30/2015 7:48pm
I remember recently on a pulpcast when Matthes was talking about Hahns situation, he said the teams take out insurance policies on their riders just in case they get hurt & can't race. If they get injured, the policy kicks in & the insurance starts paying a % of the riders salary.

Post a reply to: What happens when a racer gets injured?

The Latest