What happens to the GP tracks after the GP’s

flymoto
Interested to hear this. After watching Argentina yesterday it would seem such a shame if a track of the quality was un used for the rest of the year. How cool would it be to ride that track! I know matterley basin gets left as a grass field most of the time, but lommel gets used for practicing daily.

Would love to ride some of the then, but most of us would probably be out of our depth with the jumps etc!
|
3/4/2019 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 1:29pm
flymoto wrote:
Interested to hear this. After watching Argentina yesterday it would seem such a shame if a track of the quality was un used for the rest...
Interested to hear this. After watching Argentina yesterday it would seem such a shame if a track of the quality was un used for the rest of the year. How cool would it be to ride that track! I know matterley basin gets left as a grass field most of the time, but lommel gets used for practicing daily.

Would love to ride some of the then, but most of us would probably be out of our depth with the jumps etc!
I should imagine most host a National championship round, some might run local club races with some parts of the track not being used or the jump faces flattened off. If you keep using a track all year, it gets worn out fast, sand tracks not so much.
3/4/2019 1:23pm
Different for every track....
Valkenswaard is open for practice every wednesday during summertime and has a few races every year.
Lommel is open 6 days a week normally.
I don't know about the other tracks because I'm not close to them.
Nuffsaid
3/4/2019 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 5:49pm
Most are “club” tracks and run by the clubs. Shortened and regular practice and local/national races
3/4/2019 2:07pm
I live close to Saint Jean D'Angely (I was commenting a race there last year) and Ernée. They both hosted a regional championship race last year and multiple training days. Actually a lot of french youngster (Goupillon, Guyon, Benistant) were riding at Saint Jean the whole week until yersteday.
Saint Jean also hosted french region's cup last year with 11 region's bringing their 3 best 125 riders, 3 85cc, 2 MX1 and 1 MX2.

The Shop

Robgvx
3/4/2019 2:11pm
I live close to Saint Jean D'Angely (I was commenting a race there last year) and Ernée. They both hosted a regional championship race last year...
I live close to Saint Jean D'Angely (I was commenting a race there last year) and Ernée. They both hosted a regional championship race last year and multiple training days. Actually a lot of french youngster (Goupillon, Guyon, Benistant) were riding at Saint Jean the whole week until yersteday.
Saint Jean also hosted french region's cup last year with 11 region's bringing their 3 best 125 riders, 3 85cc, 2 MX1 and 1 MX2.
Tell me, why aren’t there so many French internationals these days? In my day we could race in France every week if we wanted.
philG
3/4/2019 2:59pm
Matterley gets used for the GP and one other local race, its in a national park area, and thats it.

Teuschenthal is used regularly by the club that own the land,.

Back in the day , Hawkstone Park was used for the GP , and British Championship, and that was pretty much it, maybe one or two club meetings but now you could ride there 6 times a year if you wanted,
Question
3/4/2019 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2019 3:38pm
I live close to Saint Jean D'Angely (I was commenting a race there last year) and Ernée. They both hosted a regional championship race last year...
Robgvx wrote:
Tell me, why aren’t there so many French internationals these days? In my day we could race in France every week if we wanted.
I think it comes down to 2 factors:
- 20 GPs instead of 12 is the main reason
- more stuctured teams who are more based around belgium so the riders are in the italian championship during the pre season then locally in the belgian/dutch/german/french/british/belgian championships, for a total of like 30+ races per year already.
- i don't think it is a real reason but maybe less crowd so less leverage for bonuses, or should I say less "interesting" bonuses as nowadays the cost of bringing the (too big) structure/and using a race bike is massive.

I like what I saw with the team SR Hexis Motoblouz and Van Horebeek : 4 people, the rider, the father, a mechanic and the manager is enough for a podium. It is not the first time I say this but having 20 people for 3 or 4 riders is not the way to go unless 12 people are dedicated to look for outside sponsors.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
3/4/2019 5:48pm
flymoto wrote:
Interested to hear this. After watching Argentina yesterday it would seem such a shame if a track of the quality was un used for the rest...

The Argentine GP track is partly on the local rugby club fields, so it converted back,

we stayed with some locals in 2016 and they told us the first year it was left open for a bit for the local riders, but their were some injuries and the locals were not so keen after that, they are pretty dam big jumps for average punters,

Post a reply to: What happens to the GP tracks after the GP’s

The Latest