What happened to the WORCS series

Danster
Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 4:47pm
They use to have factory teams, big name racers, full gates
No factory teams, no big name racers, and 10-12 racers per race....?
What happened to a really good series...?

|
bondsmx
6/22/2015 7:17pm
Ironically, the picture you posted isn't from Worcs, that's from a big 6 race. Lol
But I've wondered the same thing quite honestly, when I won the championship we'd have 35+ people on the gate at almost every round. Numerous people were making livings riding Worcs.. And within a few short years, poof, maybe 6 pros per race, and not really anyone making a living. It's honestly too bad, It was a good time while it lasted.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/22/2015 7:17pm
Danster wrote:
They use to have factory teams, big name racers, full gates No factory teams, no big name racers, and 10-12 racers per race....? What happened to...

Poor, unimaginative, and rehashed track designs/events along with fledgling off-road budgets murdered it. Angry
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/22/2015 7:18pm
bondsmx wrote:
Ironically, the picture you posted isn't from Worcs, that's from a big 6 race. Lol But I've wondered the same thing quite honestly, when I won...
Ironically, the picture you posted isn't from Worcs, that's from a big 6 race. Lol
But I've wondered the same thing quite honestly, when I won the championship we'd have 35+ people on the gate at almost every round. Numerous people were making livings riding Worcs.. And within a few short years, poof, maybe 6 pros per race, and not really anyone making a living. It's honestly too bad, It was a good time while it lasted.
I didn't know you still kept such a close eye on the forum Bobby, have you been riding at all?
bondsmx
6/22/2015 7:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 7:40pm
Oh yeah, I'm lurking the forums everyday! I try not to post too much, I see other pros, past and present, post on here and make fools of themselves with their 1st grade spelling and grammar. Just kidding, sort of. Lol

As far as riding goes, I haven't ridden in just over a year now. I'm old, fatter and retired.
Just another old racer on vital.

The Shop

Xeno
6/22/2015 7:52pm
Oh man, that's good! "...1st grade spelling and grammar." You should get Quote of the Week or something for that.

As for WORCS- there's some great racers, but as mentioned above, budget cutbacks really hurt the off-road pros.
gpracer36
6/22/2015 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 8:44pm
well, you guys are right, the pro's are almost all gone. But, I race the series with my son and friends. We have a blast. Tons of bikes for the most part. 99% percent of us aren't pros anyway so its not a big deal to me. My kid had like 53 guys on the line at Havasu! Sure, pit road isn't the same without all the semi trucks and pros hanging around, but the series is alive and well with a shit load of us everyday guys. My favorite race series hand down. Run pretty well, on time, watered well, fun tracks. You get a lot of seat time for the money. I believe the pros moved on to Endurocross series to make money. Last, Bobby Bonds fricken haul the mail. Last year when you made the comeback I was stoked to see you ride again. Kind of bummed your not out there. Good luck man.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
6/22/2015 9:21pm
It's always cool to have the real deal on here with all us wannabes Cool
walent215
6/22/2015 9:35pm
Cool to see bonds post on here...I always liked watching him ride at the worcs and big6 races...I remember speaking with him at the 2007 big6 Taft team race...super down to earth and just railed....I also remember him getting landed on at the sx race in Anaheim and to see him come back from that was awesome to say the least.....
6/22/2015 9:39pm
Danster wrote:
They use to have factory teams, big name racers, full gates No factory teams, no big name racers, and 10-12 racers per race....? What happened to...

They found out I'm gonna race next year
MtnBoy
6/22/2015 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 9:55pm
Bondo!

That day you railed the KX250 in Goldendale was flat awesome, that was a ride for the ages.

Hope you're doing well man.

It's kinda sad how WORCS is now compared to what it was. At one point I think every manufacturer had some sort of "factory" effort involved. When they first started out, we went to some epic places...Price, UT, some places in CO etc. etc. Anybody remember East/West Shootout at Cooperland? Epic.

My opinion is, as the economy tanked it became apparent to the promoters that the bread and butter was coming from guys from the Southwest who liked more moto/fast terrain, it was also cheaper to run the series closer to home, so you ended up with the lame ass tracks you have now. Probably nobody in particulars fault, but lame none the less.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/22/2015 10:28pm
Danster wrote:

Went the way of pitbike racing and supermoto.
jasonv43
6/22/2015 11:52pm
bondsmx wrote:
Ironically, the picture you posted isn't from Worcs, that's from a big 6 race. Lol But I've wondered the same thing quite honestly, when I won...
Haven't seen you racing online much lately either. Now that I think about it. I haven't been racing online much lately myself.Blink

Time flies man I hope you are doing good.
Desrtracer
6/23/2015 8:17am
The District 37 AMA Big 6 Series is alive and well and actually booming this year with the number of riders way up. Come out and join us for so good, fun and competitive racing. Saturday is the West Coast GP so you can come and watch all the Pro's that you like to watch.
Titan1
6/23/2015 10:30am
MtnBoy wrote:
Bondo! That day you railed the KX250 in Goldendale was flat awesome, that was a ride for the ages. Hope you're doing well man. It's kinda...
Bondo!

That day you railed the KX250 in Goldendale was flat awesome, that was a ride for the ages.

Hope you're doing well man.

It's kinda sad how WORCS is now compared to what it was. At one point I think every manufacturer had some sort of "factory" effort involved. When they first started out, we went to some epic places...Price, UT, some places in CO etc. etc. Anybody remember East/West Shootout at Cooperland? Epic.

My opinion is, as the economy tanked it became apparent to the promoters that the bread and butter was coming from guys from the Southwest who liked more moto/fast terrain, it was also cheaper to run the series closer to home, so you ended up with the lame ass tracks you have now. Probably nobody in particulars fault, but lame none the less.
Funny you mention Price, UT...that's my hometown and I remember when the WORCS series first came to town (early 2000's if I remember right), and it was SO cool seeing all those factory semi's rolling into my tiny little home town. I was just out of high school at the time, and was in awe. Then to see how laid back the atmosphere was, and that I could just wander down pit row, and see all the pro's (I'm thinking Ryan Hughes was racing the series at the time, Ty Davis, Bobby Bonds, all in my hometown). It was sweet.

The local desert series races the same basic loop the WORCS series ran every summer. Still a fun course. Dirt Works (the same people that build the supercross tracks) just redid the track down there...I haven't ridden it since the rebuild, but everyone is saying its sweet! (old school style, with no big gaps to jump, so its really safe).
BAMX
6/23/2015 12:31pm
Dissident wrote:
economy Sad

The high cost of travel has to have had an impact on a series like this.
Titan1
6/23/2015 12:40pm
Off road racing just isn't a spectator sport and its not TV friendly (be it WORCS, GNCC, NHHA, Enduro, etc.) so there is no significant spectator exposure and so the advertising dollars just aren't there...that is why the series struggled and why all off road series are so much smaller than MX.

Endurocross seems to be were all the guys are making a living these days...but, its a spectator sport, and works great for TV, so advertisers get millions of impressions/views and so they are far more inclined to spend their money there.
BurtbaC
6/23/2015 1:54pm
Desrtracer wrote:
The District 37 AMA Big 6 Series is alive and well and actually booming this year with the number of riders way up. Come out and...
The District 37 AMA Big 6 Series is alive and well and actually booming this year with the number of riders way up. Come out and join us for so good, fun and competitive racing. Saturday is the West Coast GP so you can come and watch all the Pro's that you like to watch.
I dropped the WORCS Series since they stopped running unclassified in the morning the of day of the races and paying $25 for a single sight lap was pretty outrageous. They have seemed to cater more to the side by sides now that they combined the weekends together instead of dirt bikes one weekend and quads & SxS's another weekend, probably to keep costs down which I can understand. I filled the racing void with the D37 GP's last year and it is just an amazing series for me; everyone is different. At the end of the day I usually get 4 hours of seat time during the races, they are closer to home and roughly the same costs give or take $30.
moto0852
6/23/2015 2:29pm
I'm 49 yrs. old. Ex motocrosser who took a decade off. When I came back I play rode for a while but soon the racing bug bite me again. I tried motocross and it was too much. The jumps had become too big (I couldnt scrub) and they didnt used to rip it like they do now so the ruts were tough. I tried desert racing...no thanks! two hours of pure torture and dust.

When I found the WORCS series I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Perfect combination of offroad and tame moto.

It's still a very popular series with the non pro set (most classes are filled up) but it's expensive to race it and travel.

Still, all in all...it's really my favorite type of racing
Titan1
6/23/2015 2:45pm
moto0852 wrote:
I'm 49 yrs. old. Ex motocrosser who took a decade off. When I came back I play rode for a while but soon the racing bug...
I'm 49 yrs. old. Ex motocrosser who took a decade off. When I came back I play rode for a while but soon the racing bug bite me again. I tried motocross and it was too much. The jumps had become too big (I couldnt scrub) and they didnt used to rip it like they do now so the ruts were tough. I tried desert racing...no thanks! two hours of pure torture and dust.

When I found the WORCS series I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Perfect combination of offroad and tame moto.

It's still a very popular series with the non pro set (most classes are filled up) but it's expensive to race it and travel.

LOL to each his own. And everyone likes different things.

My issue with the WORCS races (same with GP's and Hare Scrambles for that matter) is that I hate racing the same short loop over and over and over again...by the end of the race it is so hammered that it just isn't any fun, with all the whoops and square edged bumps.

That's why I like the Hare and Hound format...ride for 100 miles, and never touch the same trail twice. Sure it's a little dusty at times, and there are some pretty gnarly whoop sections (but they are temporary rather than the entire course)...and not knowing what is around the next corner or over the next hill, while trying to push as hard as I can is just plain addicting.

If you're in Utah, you might like some of the GP's on the USRA series. RMR is hosting one this fall...the start is on the drag strip (at least it was last year) and races part of the dirt oval, their moto track and then they put in a few endurocross obstacles...It might be up your alley (even if it's not my cup of tea).
moto0852
6/23/2015 2:51pm
moto0852 wrote:
I'm 49 yrs. old. Ex motocrosser who took a decade off. When I came back I play rode for a while but soon the racing bug...

Titan1 wrote:
LOL to each his own. And everyone likes different things. My issue with the WORCS races (same with GP's and Hare Scrambles for that matter) is...

My issue with the WORCS races (same with GP's and Hare Scrambles for that matter) is that I hate racing the same short loop over and over and over again...by the end of the race it is so hammered that it just isn't any fun, with all the whoops and square edged bumps.

That's why I like the Hare and Hound format...ride for 100 miles, and never touch the same trail twice. Sure it's a little dusty at times, and there are some pretty gnarly whoop sections (but they are temporary rather than the entire course)...and not knowing what is around the next corner or over the next hill, while trying to push as hard as I can is just plain addicting.

If you're in Utah, you might like some of the GP's on the USRA series. RMR is hosting one this fall...the start is on the drag strip (at least it was last year) and races part of the dirt oval, their moto track and then they put in a few endurocross obstacles...It might be up your alley (even if it's not my cup of tea).
that does sound fun. Interested Titan if you grew up racing moto or offroad?
It was weird...my first desert race I was freaked out. I was like "You guys are going through fields with weeds and dust 3 feet high, you cant see the ground. You've never been on the terrain before and your wide open!" They just looked at me like I was the weird one. I grew up with motorcross. lower speeds, no dust and you knew every bump on the track so I'm trying to slowly adapt.
Titan1
6/23/2015 3:12pm
moto0852 wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
LOL to each his own. And everyone likes different things. My issue with the WORCS races (same with GP's and Hare Scrambles for that matter) is...

moto0852 wrote:
that does sound fun. Interested Titan if you grew up racing moto or offroad? It was weird...my first desert race I was freaked out. I was...
that does sound fun. Interested Titan if you grew up racing moto or offroad?
It was weird...my first desert race I was freaked out. I was like "You guys are going through fields with weeds and dust 3 feet high, you cant see the ground. You've never been on the terrain before and your wide open!" They just looked at me like I was the weird one. I grew up with motorcross. lower speeds, no dust and you knew every bump on the track so I'm trying to slowly adapt.
I grew up racing/riding moto. Full on track only guy. After getting married, I almost gave up riding all together because I didn't have the money to race, and there were no moto tracks close by, and a neighbor talked me into riding some single track with him. It was a blast and I rode that for several years...but it didn't satisfy the racing bug at all.

I was standing in line for concessions at the Salt Lake Supercross in like 2007 or 8 (I think) and the guys in front of me were talking about desert racing...I asked where they were from...they were from Utah...and invited me to come out and try a race. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

I went to the race thinking that the only people racing desert were people that were slow and couldn't do well on the track...I was pretty confident I was going to win the race (which I'm embarrassed to admit now). I lined up on the amateur line right behind Destry Abbott and Dave Kamo.

My the end of the race, I was completely toast...I totally bonked...I got smoked (I was like 27th overall amateur or something like that) and hated riding dirt bikes all together. By Monday evening, I was planning for my next race. (Funny how that works). And I've been hooked ever since. I honestly love the unknown factor of it, in how it forces you to read the terrain and base your line selection on that.

I always tell people they have to come out to three races IN A SEASON before they throw in the towel on it all together. I don't know of anyone that likes their first race...and every first time racer I've brought out have told me they'll never do it again. Those that try it again, really like it.

Now I'm a vet A (expert) rider in the desert...and with four kids all going in a million different directions (soccer games and dance recitals all conflict with the race schedule) I can't make all the races, I pick and chose my favorite 5 or 7 races (of the 15 or so on the schedule) and race those every year. And just have a blast with it. I can honestly say I like it better than I did moto.
Jack mehoff
6/23/2015 5:22pm
Danster wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Poor, unimaginative, and rehashed track designs/events along with fledgling off-road budgets murdered it. Angry
I think a lot off that budget went to the GNCC series's with the TV package
Coyote
6/26/2015 4:47pm
bondsmx wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm lurking the forums everyday! I try not to post too much, I see other pros, past and present, post on here and make...
Oh yeah, I'm lurking the forums everyday! I try not to post too much, I see other pros, past and present, post on here and make fools of themselves with their 1st grade spelling and grammar. Just kidding, sort of. Lol

As far as riding goes, I haven't ridden in just over a year now. I'm old, fatter and retired.
Just another old racer on vital.
Bondo, you've always been a lurker, good to see you admit it...lol!! Hope you and yours are doing good and don't know if I ever told you but it was a pleasure working with you. I'm sure Dietrich still remembers the spanking you gave him for the oa at Honey Lake. Topic is what happened to WORCS, speaking of Honey Lake remember the suspension I got invoked with for being in a non radio area. Here we are representing a privateer team with a semi factory effort (semi, 3 riders, 3 mechanics, practice vans, great work shop etc) The rule was intended for no rider to mechanic/team mgr communication as if you had this you had to stay in an appointed area to not have a distinct advantage over others that didn't. Here we had no rider/mgr/pit communication, no distinct advantage over other teams as the Honey Lake owner just wanted me to see the new waterfall area. Sean decides to disqualify you for my actions and only gave us back a few points due to my protesting to the AMA. Yea the economy had some slight reasons for participation but you sure don't see GNCC lacking manufacture representation...just sayin!!

Post a reply to: What happened to the WORCS series

The Latest