What happened to people fixing things.

APLMAN99
8/20/2020 6:35pm
Again, I totally understand taking a vehicle for repair work that requires unique tools. Not that this is always the case, but for me to take...
Again, I totally understand taking a vehicle for repair work that requires unique tools. Not that this is always the case, but for me to take a vehicle to a shop for a repair or diagnosis with their special tools around me, it takes weeks. They are slammed to the gills doing basic maintenance work. They rarely touch big stuff and refer it on because they can make $85/hr for doing basic maintenance and hire anyone with a little skill to perform those tasks and pay them $15/hr. Again, not always the case. Only venting about what I’m seeing in my area.
APLMAN99 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about what other people decide to do with their time and money so much......... Sounds like you should be doing a side hustle...
I wouldn't worry about what other people decide to do with their time and money so much.........

Sounds like you should be doing a side hustle charging people half price ($40/HR) for the basic work that they don't want to do/don't have time to do.
I am so less worried about people's decisions and more worried about society in general. All too often people are so quick to decide that throwing...
I am so less worried about people's decisions and more worried about society in general. All too often people are so quick to decide that throwing money at a problem will solve it instead of deciding to figure it out themselves. "Too tough for me, I'll let someone else fix it." I do side work for people, most of which is stuff shops don't have the time for. So I do benefit from people's lack of motivation. However, I can still be bugged that people are willing to pay good money for simple, simple things. Everyone has their reasons, I get it. Just frustrating.
If this is the sort of thing that truly frustrates you, you must have a lot of frustrations in life...........

Do you raise every piece of food that your family consumes?
Do you sew every piece of clothing?
Make every single piece of furniture?

Maybe you do, but I doubt it. You definitely could, but chances are you pay someone for all those things that you could do if you had the desire to.

There are situations where people just don't have the time, the workspace, or even the mechanical ability to do some of the things you are talking about. It may even take them so long to do those things that it cuts into other things that they need to do.

I do most of the "small" work on my vehicles for financial reasons. When my kids started driving, it became too expensive to have everything done by a technician. My cars had mostly been under warranty, but their first cars were used and long past the warranty period. I was fortunate that I could take enough time to figure things out but not everyone has the time, or the inclination to do those things. That doesn't frustrate me at all, it's their business.

I will say that after doing far too many hours or work on my daughter's first car, an Audi A4, I would never choose to work on one of those again if I could avoid it. I'd only buy another one with a full warranty!!!!

8/20/2020 6:37pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about what other people decide to do with their time and money so much......... Sounds like you should be doing a side hustle...
I wouldn't worry about what other people decide to do with their time and money so much.........

Sounds like you should be doing a side hustle charging people half price ($40/HR) for the basic work that they don't want to do/don't have time to do.
I am so less worried about people's decisions and more worried about society in general. All too often people are so quick to decide that throwing...
I am so less worried about people's decisions and more worried about society in general. All too often people are so quick to decide that throwing money at a problem will solve it instead of deciding to figure it out themselves. "Too tough for me, I'll let someone else fix it." I do side work for people, most of which is stuff shops don't have the time for. So I do benefit from people's lack of motivation. However, I can still be bugged that people are willing to pay good money for simple, simple things. Everyone has their reasons, I get it. Just frustrating.
APLMAN99 wrote:
If this is the sort of thing that truly frustrates you, you must have a lot of frustrations in life........... Do you raise every piece of...
If this is the sort of thing that truly frustrates you, you must have a lot of frustrations in life...........

Maybe you do, but I doubt it. You definitely could, but chances are you pay someone for all those things that you could do if you had the desire to.

There are situations where people just don't have the time, the workspace, or even the mechanical ability to do some of the things you are talking about. It may even take them so long to do those things that it cuts into other things that they need to do.

I do most of the "small" work on my vehicles for financial reasons. When my kids started driving, it became too expensive to have everything done by a technician. My cars had mostly been under warranty, but their first cars were used and long past the warranty period. I was fortunate that I could take enough time to figure things out but not everyone has the time, or the inclination to do those things. That doesn't frustrate me at all, it's their business.

I will say that after doing far too many hours or work on my daughter's first car, an Audi A4, I would never choose to work on one of those again if I could avoid it. I'd only buy another one with a full warranty!!!!

Whoa
8/20/2020 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2020 6:58pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
If this is the sort of thing that truly frustrates you, you must have a lot of frustrations in life........... Do you raise every piece of...

So actually, growing up on a farm, my family actually did produce the majority of food we ate. Also, your comparisons to making my own clothes and furniture make no sense. I also didn’t make the cars or bikes I own. However, I do repair them. Much in the same way if a piece of furniture I purchased breaks, I get my drill and fix it. If I get a rip in my clothing, I pull out the thread and needle and sew it up. It’s learning to rely on your own abilities. I know not everyone has all the time to fix everything but to fully rely on someone else to solve all your problems is an issue. Especially when the majority of people are fully capable.
Taylor415
8/20/2020 7:09pm
I am extremely lucky to have a Dad who can fix damn near everything. At 32, I’m still learning something from him. I’d blow a bike up, we’d tear it apart, he’d teach me how to fix it. I rebuilt his pressure washer awhile back, he started it up and gave me the nod of approval, haha.
What I’m getting at is some of us enjoy doing it and make time to do it. I’ll split cases and everything. I don’t do suspension though. Others aren’t into the mechanical side of it and paying to have it done isn’t a thing for them and that’s okay too.

The Shop

Hasletjoe
8/20/2020 7:13pm
I can see both sides of this equation. Some have the coinage to spend and maybe prefer the extra time back to do other things of their choice. Others get a return on the spinning of spanners, solving issues and maybe impress their prodigy or lucky lady. We all have reasons for what we do.

Me, being into Vintage, you have to spend some time coddling, offer up some garlic and bat's wings or search for four leaf clovers to make it through practice. Dealers can not make money chasing obscure and unique older parts. They are in business to make money and they must to stay in business.

There is a plan for either method you prefer. Just show up at the track and enjoy the day of riding. In fact, a lot of you need to learn to push old, 250 lb+ (Rider or bike) and just humor the fellow trying to load it!

MotofactioN
8/20/2020 7:21pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I’ll do just about anything, but fuck changing tires.
I’ll rebuild my suspension or engine, and yes a 4 stroke engine, before changing tires Grinning
MasonMan
8/20/2020 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2020 7:30pm
*EDIT
GRR guess thats against the rules
8/21/2020 12:44am
Working on my old DT125 for hours and days as a kid taught me patience and that solving problems has its rewards.
Something my son doesn't seem to want know about, he'd rather watch his phone and call anything that doesn't work " piece of sh!t"
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/21/2020 1:34am
philG wrote:
Who the hell repairs TV's ?

Isnt that from the 70's
GrapeApe wrote:
I think slipdog was actually trying to repair his friend's brother's Camaro. He was just saying his dad has tools.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
They shouldn't of fucked with it. Grinning
He’s gunna shit.
He’s gunna kill us.
APLMAN99
8/21/2020 2:44am
APLMAN99 wrote:

So actually, growing up on a farm, my family actually did produce the majority of food we ate. Also, your comparisons to making my own clothes...
So actually, growing up on a farm, my family actually did produce the majority of food we ate. Also, your comparisons to making my own clothes and furniture make no sense. I also didn’t make the cars or bikes I own. However, I do repair them. Much in the same way if a piece of furniture I purchased breaks, I get my drill and fix it. If I get a rip in my clothing, I pull out the thread and needle and sew it up. It’s learning to rely on your own abilities. I know not everyone has all the time to fix everything but to fully rely on someone else to solve all your problems is an issue. Especially when the majority of people are fully capable.
Those questions DO make sense. They are the natural progression of your basic theme. In fact, 2 of those apply directly.

It sounds like you have the skill to grow your own food, and you could sew your own clothes together if you wanted to. But you choose to have others who likely have more skill, better tools, time, and inclination to do these things for you and you pay them money.

Your frustration with people who don’t repair their own bikes is like an avid gardener who spends a huge amount of time growing nearly all of their own food being frustrated with you for not doing the same.

People give you lots of reasons for frustrations in life. This just doesn’t seem like anything worth getting worked up over.
JAFO92
8/21/2020 5:14am
VetMX.com wrote:
Have to cut the chain protector, grind the swingarm and cut the chain. That is a 13?
Yep that is a 13 there, I use a 14 now.
Timo_2824
8/21/2020 5:47am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2020 5:49am
If everyone back in the day fixed everything themselves, then why was my great grandfather an auto mechanic? Obviously cars were super simple back then and anyone could have fixed it. I'll have to make a time machine and tell him people never used mechanics back then. I'll then swing by my other great grandfather and tell him to stop fixing furnaces and air conditioners because everyone just fixed it themselves... people idealizing the past seems to run rampant around here.
8/21/2020 7:10am
I think a big part of people fixing things has to do with how you were brought up.

I grew up with a ‘semi absent’ dad. He worked all day long on a small farm & then he went to university at night to get a degree in computers. Once he finished his degree, he worked all day on the farm & all night at his computer business & was very rarely around,

As a family we had zero experience with bikes. My dad bought my brother & i a kx80 to ride around our fields on. He just sat me on it & told me to put it in first & go for it. I got about have way round the field & it blew up because i never changed gear! 😂 after it was rebuilt & we learnt the basics, we told my dad we wanted to race it.
I remember he was so pissed when he got to the races & realised it was an all day thing & he wasnt getting his farm work done! He thought he would have been home in a few hours. To cut a long story short, my mum knew my dad was never around, so from what I remember she pressed dad into taking us to the races most weeks. He usually just sat in the car working on his laptop & often missed our races.

What does this have to do with fix it urself? Our bikes were bottom of my dads priority list. So any maintenance was done around 11pm on a Friday night or at the racetrack on Saturday morning. If he realised sumthing was broken often it was to late to fix it. Most times he was in such a hurry to get the work done he would botch it up. So my impression of maintenance equaled stress, hassle ‘ problems.

I remember riding down to the starting line for a race when my dad came running along behind me. He stopped me & said he remembered he needed to tighten my gear shifter on my ktm 125. With one huge twist he rung the bolt clean off & the gear stick just dropped off. & that was me done for another day.

My dad had no interest in doing repairs so he sent our bikes off to have even very basic work done. Because i didnt get to watch anyone do proper work i had no one to learn from.

Fast forward & im now 36, i do all the basics myself, tyre changes, filters, oil, sprockets etc. I trued two rims just this week too. I even do normal car maintenance (oils, fiilters, pads etc) But i need to watch someone do something twice or a very good youtube video then i would be confident to do it myself. I would love to be able to do the top end in my fourstrokes but i dont think my local dealer would be too happy to let me stand & watch him do rebuilds as it would cost him money. I have considered enroling in some kind of mechanics course so i can learn.

Ps, my dad & me are tight. We often now laugh at his lack of mechanic skills back in the day!
8/21/2020 7:40am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2020 7:41am
Two biggest obstacles; people scared of making a mistake on modern four stroke and turning it into a disaster, and the need for some specialized tools and the costs. Want a good torque wrench? Be ready to shell out $500. Need that factory cam chain tensioner holder tool? $50 more please. And so on.

I do agree that YouTube and photos on forums have made access easier than ever, but some people also are “shamed” when they might ask basic questions like “how do you tell if the bearing is seated” or “how do you know by feel,” things that some of us in prior generations had to learn by watching someone in person do the work. I bought a $250 XR650L with a nuked motor, two quick trips to a machinist, one big parts order, and for about $1600 I was set and away, bike has had zero issues. But I’ve had time to accumulate tools, the patience (or sometimes, the mistakes caused by lack thereof) and just a relief from family and work.
8/21/2020 9:48am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2020 9:51am
You are totally only reading and taking from my post what you want. I have said numerous times, I understand not everyone has time to fix or care to fix everything on their own. But there is astronomical value to being able to problem solve and fix a situation when its needed. You yourself said you used to do this on your daughter's cars! Obviously then you know how to turn a wrench when needed. Choosing not to is not part of my argument like you seem to keep pointing out.
This pandemic has been an amazing example of how if you can't manage on your own, you're going to struggle. As stores closed, vendors warehouse staff stayed home. If you relied on those individuals for everything, it probably hurt. I, and others like myself, thrived. My wife and I both stayed employed full-time, plus got money from the government. I had no problem if shipping companies were slow or distributors had limited supplies, because I relied on my own abilities to fix issues as needed. It is absurd that someone can argue a point to me that its okay to totally rely on someone else, from somewhere else, to fix all your messes and come to your rescue 100% of the time with the simple explanation of "It's okay, I have the money and would rather pay them to do it." If you don't care to, I get it. But avoiding simple maintenance or repairs because you are too lazy to learn, is asinine.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
8/21/2020 12:02pm
GrapeApe wrote:
I think slipdog was actually trying to repair his friend's brother's Camaro. He was just saying his dad has tools.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
He’s gunna shit.
He’s gunna kill us.
Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
8/21/2020 12:17pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
He’s gunna shit.
He’s gunna kill us.
SLAPAHO wrote:
Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?
First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us! Grinning
8/21/2020 1:35pm
You are totally only reading and taking from my post what you want. I have said numerous times, I understand not everyone has time to fix...
You are totally only reading and taking from my post what you want. I have said numerous times, I understand not everyone has time to fix or care to fix everything on their own. But there is astronomical value to being able to problem solve and fix a situation when its needed. You yourself said you used to do this on your daughter's cars! Obviously then you know how to turn a wrench when needed. Choosing not to is not part of my argument like you seem to keep pointing out.
This pandemic has been an amazing example of how if you can't manage on your own, you're going to struggle. As stores closed, vendors warehouse staff stayed home. If you relied on those individuals for everything, it probably hurt. I, and others like myself, thrived. My wife and I both stayed employed full-time, plus got money from the government. I had no problem if shipping companies were slow or distributors had limited supplies, because I relied on my own abilities to fix issues as needed. It is absurd that someone can argue a point to me that its okay to totally rely on someone else, from somewhere else, to fix all your messes and come to your rescue 100% of the time with the simple explanation of "It's okay, I have the money and would rather pay them to do it." If you don't care to, I get it. But avoiding simple maintenance or repairs because you are too lazy to learn, is asinine.
and you can keep your 'astronomical value' and worry about if others are fixing, and i'll keep padding my bank account.
sf702/410
8/21/2020 1:43pm
You are totally only reading and taking from my post what you want. I have said numerous times, I understand not everyone has time to fix...
and you can keep your 'astronomical value' and worry about if others are fixing, and i'll keep padding my bank account.
Do I sense another 30 pager?
8/21/2020 1:48pm
More power to ya, boss.
8/21/2020 1:50pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Do I sense another 30 pager?
Lol. People love to argue for argument sake I think. Make a post under the Tech Help section and you get like 8 replies total.
8/22/2020 4:21am
You won’t change the Apple man’s mind.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
8/22/2020 5:07am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2020 5:08am
GrapeApe wrote:
I love working on stuff and fixing problems, it's a nice escape and cathartic in a way. But my kids aren't going to be in the...
I love working on stuff and fixing problems, it's a nice escape and cathartic in a way. But my kids aren't going to be in the house much longer and I'm still working long hours. More and more I'm valuing my free time over money.

I did just diagnose, source and replace a bad condenser motor on my outside beer fridge a couple of weeks ago. When I compare my hourly rate to what it would have cost to have someone out to fix it, it makes no sense. But every time I grab a cold beer from the fridge, I give a prideful nod to my accomplishment.

Very nice. I did something close to that to my house AC unit last week. Started blowing warm air. Compressor and evap fan run off the same run capacitor. Swapped it out. Would run but half speed on the fan.. Few hours later, the contacts were arcing bad when the unit would turn on... Took the contacts out cleaned them up and vroom, all is well.

I have a hvac buddy that once told me "When that thing breaks, sit on a bucket and study that wiring diagram, you'll find the problem"

I hear you loud and clear on time vs money. I can make money, I can't make time.
APLMAN99
8/22/2020 6:43am
You won’t change the Apple man’s mind.
Not with such a silly response, that’s for sure.....
mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/22/2020 9:19am
mooch wrote:
Based on the way I've had a number of things jacked up when I've had someone else work on something, prefer to do stuff myself when...
Based on the way I've had a number of things jacked up when I've had someone else work on something, prefer to do stuff myself when at all possible.

Example...Brand new Toyota Tacoma, take it in for it's very first free oil change at the dealership and figured how could they possibly screw up a run of the mill oil change? Well...I hear a rattle on the way home, get out to look underneath and see that the 4 large bolts that hold the skid plate on are not tight. Get home, put a socket on it and ALL 4 of those large bolts were cross threaded and are only about half the way in....unbelievable, they screwed up on the very first oil change!

They made it right of course by ordering new frame members that had the stripped threads, new bolts and gave me a rental car and topped of gas in the truck.
sf702/410 wrote:
New frame members??? Holy mackerel, you sure they didn't just run a tap through??
The frame members that the skid plate attached to aren't huge...they're shorter ones that attach to main frame.
Alex.434
8/22/2020 12:03pm
I grew up understanding that if I wanted to play rough with my toys then I needed to know how to fix it. Seems like today...
I grew up understanding that if I wanted to play rough with my toys then I needed to know how to fix it. Seems like today I hear more and more about people "sending" things off to be worked on or brought to a bike shop to wait weeks for them to get to it. I understand some repairs require special, specific tools to complete and that are too expensive for the average guy to just have around. Truly, the majority of repairs on dirt bikes can be handled with basic tools and taking the time to read and learn! This definitely applies to more that motorcycles too. Seems like people are willing to exhaust too much energy complaining to a dealer or private seller about warranty loopholes or some other BS rather than directing that to actually working on the problem. You bought it, you own it, it breaks, you fix it.
Alex.434
8/22/2020 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2020 12:08pm
VetMX.com wrote:
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at...
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at a reasonable price. I have 7 bikes that need work. I am struggling in D class right now trying to put a 14 tooth sprocket on my RM 250. Just don't enjoy it anymore.
Agreed.

Between the wife and I we have 14 bikes, 3 bicycles, 3 vehicles, 2 RVs, 1 UTV, 1 tractor and 3 buildings on our property. Yeah yeah sometimes its fun to go bolt some parts on or fix a bike up (took me two years to get the 2006 R1 I bought for $3,500 bucks back into 'fighting shape'... and that was fun and all but....) but when you have that much shit to work on even 'simple stuff' adds up.

Today I have to go outside and do two oil changes (car + truck), rotate 8 wheels, and replace one set of brake pads.

I have a full time job that requires A LOT of my attention, a wife I like hanging out with, a dog that is fun to walk, and uh.. bikes I LIKE RIDING. Fixing shit takes away from all that.

I pick and choose my 'fix it' battles. Some stuff I finally get around to, and I can handle, but other jobs that I know will cause mucho swearing and frustration, I'd rather pay someone else.
MotofactioN
8/22/2020 8:23pm
VetMX.com wrote:
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at...
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at a reasonable price. I have 7 bikes that need work. I am struggling in D class right now trying to put a 14 tooth sprocket on my RM 250. Just don't enjoy it anymore.
Alex.434 wrote:
Agreed. Between the wife and I we have 14 bikes, 3 bicycles, 3 vehicles, 2 RVs, 1 UTV, 1 tractor and 3 buildings on our property...
Agreed.

Between the wife and I we have 14 bikes, 3 bicycles, 3 vehicles, 2 RVs, 1 UTV, 1 tractor and 3 buildings on our property. Yeah yeah sometimes its fun to go bolt some parts on or fix a bike up (took me two years to get the 2006 R1 I bought for $3,500 bucks back into 'fighting shape'... and that was fun and all but....) but when you have that much shit to work on even 'simple stuff' adds up.

Today I have to go outside and do two oil changes (car + truck), rotate 8 wheels, and replace one set of brake pads.

I have a full time job that requires A LOT of my attention, a wife I like hanging out with, a dog that is fun to walk, and uh.. bikes I LIKE RIDING. Fixing shit takes away from all that.

I pick and choose my 'fix it' battles. Some stuff I finally get around to, and I can handle, but other jobs that I know will cause mucho swearing and frustration, I'd rather pay someone else.
Wake up early and get your shit done dude!

Sounds like you start at 1pm and it “takes all day.”

You can take the drain bolt out of both vehicles in less than 5 minutes.

You can rotate the tires for the one vehicle while they drain.
(20ish minutes)

Take off the oil filters and replace. 10 minutes.

Put drain bolts back in (5 minutes)

Pour oil into vehicles (10 minutes)

Rotate tires and change brake pads in other vehicle.
(1 hour)

How is this taking you all day? Are you playing on your phone while you do it? Stop dragging it out and procrastinating and just get the job done.

Post a reply to: What happened to people fixing things.

The Latest