What happened to people fixing things.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
8/19/2020 2:18pm
I can do anything with the help of YouTube and some tools.
Spudnut
8/19/2020 2:25pm
JM485 wrote:
Can someone please clue me in on what businesses are allowing you to make $2000 an hour (or even $200 if that was a typo)? Asking...
Can someone please clue me in on what businesses are allowing you to make $2000 an hour (or even $200 if that was a typo)? Asking for a friend. . .
I’m talking about my BUSINESSES income, not my wage.

Sometimes you’re better off letting joe the plumber fix your shit For a couple hundred bucks so you can be out making a couple thousand

If I don’t show up because I’m working on my bike all day Saturday people don’t get paid and others don’t get their drinking water
sf702/410
8/19/2020 2:28pm
JM485 wrote:
Can someone please clue me in on what businesses are allowing you to make $2000 an hour (or even $200 if that was a typo)? Asking...
Can someone please clue me in on what businesses are allowing you to make $2000 an hour (or even $200 if that was a typo)? Asking for a friend. . .
Spudnut wrote:
I’m talking about my BUSINESSES income, not my wage. Sometimes you’re better off letting joe the plumber fix your shit For a couple hundred bucks so...
I’m talking about my BUSINESSES income, not my wage.

Sometimes you’re better off letting joe the plumber fix your shit For a couple hundred bucks so you can be out making a couple thousand

If I don’t show up because I’m working on my bike all day Saturday people don’t get paid and others don’t get their drinking water
Well driller.
8/19/2020 2:43pm
I work on shit because it turns my wife on.

Oh, and just put the bike in first gear, stand on the rear brake and but that bitch loose. Sprocket will
Come right off.

The Shop

philG
8/19/2020 2:58pm
slipdog wrote:
I can fix things. My dad's a tv repairman, he has the ultimate set of tools!
Who the hell repairs TV's ?

Isnt that from the 70's
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/19/2020 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2020 3:14pm
slipdog wrote:
philG wrote:

Isnt that from the 70's
I think slipdog was actually trying to repair his friend's brother's Camaro. He was just saying his dad has tools.
VetMX.com
8/19/2020 3:22pm
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at a reasonable price. I have 7 bikes that need work. I am struggling in D class right now trying to put a 14 tooth sprocket on my RM 250. Just don't enjoy it anymore.
8/19/2020 3:32pm
I've for the most part, always enjoyed working on my bikes and cars. Thankful for the time my dad spent teaching me the basics on cars when I was younger; changing oil, spare tires, brakes etc. When I was 16 my yz125 blew up (got into riding at 14 on a TTR-125). I pulled the crank and brought it to a local machine shop. Guy says "how long you been working on bike engines", I say "first time". He was impressed lol.

I'll spend hours wrestling with something before I take it somewhere...It's a combination of being cheap, not trusting others, and needing an excuse to drink beer. Oh, and also I'm an engineer, so I see every problem as a challenge that I can't say no too!
JAFO92
8/19/2020 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2020 3:41pm
VetMX.com wrote:
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at...
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at a reasonable price. I have 7 bikes that need work. I am struggling in D class right now trying to put a 14 tooth sprocket on my RM 250. Just don't enjoy it anymore.
Its only a snap ring and youre done. Easy-peasy.

slipdog
8/19/2020 3:59pm
slipdog wrote:
philG wrote:

Isnt that from the 70's
GrapeApe wrote:
I think slipdog was actually trying to repair his friend's brother's Camaro. He was just saying his dad has tools.
and Lincoln High RULES!!!!
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
8/19/2020 4:15pm
UpTiTe wrote:
I can do anything with the help of YouTube and some tools.
That and the shop service manual. I found the book on eBay for my rebuild for like $50 brand new.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/19/2020 4:42pm
Based on the way I've had a number of things jacked up when I've had someone else work on something, prefer to do stuff myself when at all possible.

Example...Brand new Toyota Tacoma, take it in for it's very first free oil change at the dealership and figured how could they possibly screw up a run of the mill oil change? Well...I hear a rattle on the way home, get out to look underneath and see that the 4 large bolts that hold the skid plate on are not tight. Get home, put a socket on it and ALL 4 of those large bolts were cross threaded and are only about half the way in....unbelievable, they screwed up on the very first oil change!

They made it right of course by ordering new frame members that had the stripped threads, new bolts and gave me a rental car and topped of gas in the truck.
8/19/2020 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2020 4:45pm
Just fixed my cracked ignition cover. Better than paying $200 for a new one. It's the three wheeler way of life. But I wouldn't be in this boat if I would have adjusted my chain properly. Maybe I should have paid somebody to do that. Crap.

8/19/2020 4:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2020 4:48pm
JeremyK wrote:
I stopped working on our cars at home because I would rather have the time free to spend with my wife and son . I remember...
I stopped working on our cars at home because I would rather have the time free to spend with my wife and son . I remember growing up when my dad first took one of their cars to get work done ,it was like seeing super man lose his powers ,I couldnt believe what I was seeing ,never did my dad get anything worked on before and I was the same way until i started a family.
I'm at that point too. I make enough money where it's worth it to pay somebody to do it, rather than to spend the whole afternoon with a car in a million pieces.
VetMX.com
8/19/2020 4:49pm
VetMX.com wrote:
I absolutely hate working on my bikes. I would love to find a mobile mechanic in the Houston area that knows his or her stuff at...
JAFO92 wrote:
Its only a snap ring and youre done. Easy-peasy. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/19/444556/s1200_dsc06697_jpg.jpg[/img]
Its only a snap ring and youre done. Easy-peasy.

Have to cut the chain protector, grind the swingarm and cut the chain. That is a 13?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
8/19/2020 4:51pm
slipdog wrote:
philG wrote:

Isnt that from the 70's
GrapeApe wrote:
They shouldn't of fucked with it. Grinning
zehn
8/19/2020 5:07pm
The same people that say this eat 4-7 restaurant meals a week
sf702/410
8/19/2020 5:58pm
mooch wrote:
Based on the way I've had a number of things jacked up when I've had someone else work on something, prefer to do stuff myself when...
Based on the way I've had a number of things jacked up when I've had someone else work on something, prefer to do stuff myself when at all possible.

Example...Brand new Toyota Tacoma, take it in for it's very first free oil change at the dealership and figured how could they possibly screw up a run of the mill oil change? Well...I hear a rattle on the way home, get out to look underneath and see that the 4 large bolts that hold the skid plate on are not tight. Get home, put a socket on it and ALL 4 of those large bolts were cross threaded and are only about half the way in....unbelievable, they screwed up on the very first oil change!

They made it right of course by ordering new frame members that had the stripped threads, new bolts and gave me a rental car and topped of gas in the truck.
New frame members??? Holy mackerel, you sure they didn't just run a tap through??
JeremyK
8/19/2020 6:29pm
slipdog wrote:
philG wrote:

Isnt that from the 70's
GrapeApe wrote:
Did his brother end up shitting first or killing them ?
Spudnut
8/19/2020 6:40pm
Just for the record....You younger kids should all be working on your own shit. wether it be a dirtbike or a damn grout mixer, get out there and learn how to solve problems. your first Smooth swear word free top end job will give you more of a rush And feeling of accomplishment than a video game ever could

If it wasn’t for me practically living in my fathers shop trying to figure out how any and everything works from the age of 10-25 there would have been a lot of situations I had no idea how to deal with or get out of early on in my career.
Rickyisms
8/19/2020 7:37pm
Spudnut wrote:
Just for the record....You younger kids should all be working on your own shit. wether it be a dirtbike or a damn grout mixer, get out...
Just for the record....You younger kids should all be working on your own shit. wether it be a dirtbike or a damn grout mixer, get out there and learn how to solve problems. your first Smooth swear word free top end job will give you more of a rush And feeling of accomplishment than a video game ever could

If it wasn’t for me practically living in my fathers shop trying to figure out how any and everything works from the age of 10-25 there would have been a lot of situations I had no idea how to deal with or get out of early on in my career.
I’m beyond thankful for my dad making me sit and watch him do top ends, linkage bearings, and everything else while I was little instead of going inside and playing xbox. It does give me a good feeling of accomplishment walking away from my bike knowing whatever I just did was done right with the right parts. As someone who struggled in grade school and still tends to struggle with some college stuff my joy and happiness came from wrenching with my dad through the week and going racing on the weekends. In my senior year of high school I was in charge of usual maintenance and tear down on Monday/Tuesday and I would watch him do bigger jobs. We won my last hare scramble championship that year and I think it made us closer than anything else. A year later I do just about everything on the bike now while he sits in the garage drinking a beer behind me making little corrections to my technique.
8/19/2020 8:17pm
Spudnut wrote:
Just for the record....You younger kids should all be working on your own shit. wether it be a dirtbike or a damn grout mixer, get out...

And why do you think your path is right for me?
FeetUp
8/19/2020 8:43pm
Years ago Arnold S. told the story of the president working out every day. Arnold said during an interview that if he can find the time so can you can, and that he guaranteed the president was busier than you (interviewer) are. The point being is if it's important you will find the time. Paying someone else to do something that you can, pretty well comes down to laziness. It should be a priority to fix your own dirt bike, the cost of some "special tools" will be a fraction of what a shop charges, and you will be back riding quicker also.Shocked
toomanykaws
8/19/2020 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2020 10:19pm
Many would be surprised how many pro riders can’t turn a wrench on their own bikes. Betting if some of them could they would help the team set the bikes up even better for the way they ride.
cappelmans
8/20/2020 4:35am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2020 4:37am
I thought the same when changing my rear tire. “Yeah, I will fix it myself!” and now I effed up my rim. My own time was just not worth it because the dealer will fix it in 20 mins. All the other work I’ll do myself
Rickyisms
8/20/2020 5:31am
I’ll do just about anything, but fuck changing tires.
8/20/2020 5:34am
GrapeApe wrote:
I love working on stuff and fixing problems, it's a nice escape and cathartic in a way. But my kids aren't going to be in the...
I love working on stuff and fixing problems, it's a nice escape and cathartic in a way. But my kids aren't going to be in the house much longer and I'm still working long hours. More and more I'm valuing my free time over money.

I did just diagnose, source and replace a bad condenser motor on my outside beer fridge a couple of weeks ago. When I compare my hourly rate to what it would have cost to have someone out to fix it, it makes no sense. But every time I grab a cold beer from the fridge, I give a prideful nod to my accomplishment.

I feel the same way when I look at my lawn stripes.
Natester551v
8/20/2020 5:41am
Many would be surprised how many pro riders can’t turn a wrench on their own bikes. Betting if some of them could they would help the...
Many would be surprised how many pro riders can’t turn a wrench on their own bikes. Betting if some of them could they would help the team set the bikes up even better for the way they ride.
It was cool hearing Ivan Tedesco on the Whiskey Throttle Show talk about swapping engines out on those first KX250Fs when he rode for Mitch. Pretty uncommon!

One of the reasons I'm such a huge Dakar fan...even the factory guys have to be able to work on their stuff...
ElliotB16
8/20/2020 6:26am
I’ll do what I can on the bike but not going to do something over my head and cause more problems

Post a reply to: What happened to people fixing things.

The Latest