What happened to opening ceremonies?

kage173
2/18/2019 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/20/2019 6:35am
Wasn't that long ago that during opening ceremonies I could see rider intro videos, huge whips over the triple, Canard doing a wheelie standing on his seat, dudes walking through the crowd giving high fives, and K-Dub hitting a 100 ft transfer in the dark with fire blasting next to his face.

This weekend I saw Webb do a wheelie. That was it. Everybody else rolled around blipped the throttle a couple of times, blew me a kiss then bounced.

Have they purposely decided not to make it a big deal? Or do the riders just not put the energy into it?
|
yak651
Fantasy
168th
2/18/2019 4:02pm
Price of tickets go up, entertainment goes down...oh and prize money stays the same
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
2/18/2019 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 4:04pm
I would be fine if they just got to the racing

Edit: Except for the Windham transfers, those were worthwhile
hotlasagna
Fantasy
2414th
2/18/2019 4:12pm
man i miss the days of a top guys hot lap. kick the lights on and Carmichael, stewart, reed all doing a lap throwing whips, can cans, and nac nacs. Will never forget stewart in detroit back in the day throwing it upside down while tossing up the #1 over the finish line.
tkimb
2/18/2019 4:19pm
On twitter a bit ago Matthes said it was basically the Ryans. They would just roll around waving every time and it hasn't really been anything since.

The Shop

Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
2/18/2019 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 12:29pm
Yeah i went to Minnesota this year and last year , and last year they at least played some funny video's with Dean Wilson running around doing funny stuff
This year the intro's where pretty boring , they need to work on that imo , let them do some fun laps , and a couple big jumps like windham used to do , and maybe a little nose wheelie contest on the start straight, i could think of lots of little fun stuff they could do!
2/18/2019 4:38pm
I’ll never forget when Eli Tomac came out to a pop version of Enter Sandman by Metallica. Totally got me pumped up when I heard it come on then when I realized it was a pop remix I was Sick
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/18/2019 4:48pm
yak651 wrote:
Price of tickets go up, entertainment goes down...oh and prize money stays the same
...and the bitterness remains.
2/18/2019 4:58pm
GrapeApe wrote:

Gosh i miss these Windham’s transfers so much ! It was so impressive
Leedle
2/18/2019 8:18pm
My first SX was in 2017 at A1 and they have been progressively toned down. They barely even did wheelies at A2. Nobody threw their goggles either. I hope they ramp them back up next year. It really helps get the crowd into it before the race.
zehn
2/18/2019 8:22pm
bUt sUpErCrOsS iS a cIrCuS
levimx22
Fantasy
2108th
2/18/2019 8:23pm
GrapeApe wrote:

windham, houston, 2012. biggest transfers ive ever seen. everyone in the box was going crazy. people were cheering. it was great. arlington the other night seemed like there were barely any cheers besides when chad came out. no where near what it used to be.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
2/18/2019 10:12pm
You can't blame FELD unless they're telling them not to do anything. Kenny also did some stuff this past weekend but I was also thinking how lame these riders were being by not doing much. I thought the intro video and fireworks were cool.
pkiczuk
2/19/2019 3:53am
I went to A2 this year, it was my second Sx and one thing I can say, as tame as it may have been, at least it was dark. Last year at Gillette stadium was my first time, and the daytime opening ceremonies just did not have a lot of excitement in comparison. So be thankful for that at least. It just doesn't have the same feel in the day time as the night shows do.
2/19/2019 9:24am
Just a guess..... But riders teams probably don't want to risk an injury. It has never happened but it always could. I also feel like opening ceremonies have been shortened to accommodate the live broadcast (when there is one). Cause the live broadcast used to start during the opening ceremonies and there was a lot of background noise because of the fireworks and music. I do miss Windham's transfers. Best year was when he came out to Your Love by The Outfield. Absolute classic!!! I have seen videos in the past of Seely and AC doing transfers at the test tracks but I guess they are too scared to do it in the dark.
Texas Built
2/19/2019 11:42am
Leedle wrote:
My first SX was in 2017 at A1 and they have been progressively toned down. They barely even did wheelies at A2. Nobody threw their goggles...
My first SX was in 2017 at A1 and they have been progressively toned down. They barely even did wheelies at A2. Nobody threw their goggles either. I hope they ramp them back up next year. It really helps get the crowd into it before the race.
I don't think "throwing goggles" are a pre or post race requirement. I'd rather see someone do a hot lap in the dark and do a can-can or a Windham transfer.
numba1 fan
2/19/2019 11:55am
Opening ceremonies used to be a must! They were the highlight of the night for the new fans and would get them pumped for what was about to happen. My girlfriend who knew nothing about supercross would love that part of the night.

Now its pretty bland, i was surprised to see no fireworks this year. Thats a huge bummer. It used to be awesome getting pics of the fireworks with the track in the background!
logan_140
2/19/2019 11:58am
pkiczuk wrote:
I went to A2 this year, it was my second Sx and one thing I can say, as tame as it may have been, at least...
I went to A2 this year, it was my second Sx and one thing I can say, as tame as it may have been, at least it was dark. Last year at Gillette stadium was my first time, and the daytime opening ceremonies just did not have a lot of excitement in comparison. So be thankful for that at least. It just doesn't have the same feel in the day time as the night shows do.
Same with daytona, compared to let’s say Atlanta.
cpyz300
2/19/2019 12:12pm
I was at Dallas, and the opening ceremonies seemed just as good as ever to me with the exception that yeah, there's no Windham hucking enormous transfers in the dark. The guys definitely used to be a little more animated I guess. I think literally only Eli and roczen jumped anything at all in their intros.

But the pyrotechnics were great I thought. I know they're coming and after 20 something years of going every year it still gets me pumped at least.

On another note. Can they please stop reading off every single riders name and their home town before the race starts? Naming a full gate of riders for every single race, even LCQs was definitely nails on a chalkboard after the first time you heard it. Anyone else felt that way or am I bitter lol.
2/19/2019 12:14pm
cpyz300 wrote:
I was at Dallas, and the opening ceremonies seemed just as good as ever to me with the exception that yeah, there's no Windham hucking enormous...
I was at Dallas, and the opening ceremonies seemed just as good as ever to me with the exception that yeah, there's no Windham hucking enormous transfers in the dark. The guys definitely used to be a little more animated I guess. I think literally only Eli and roczen jumped anything at all in their intros.

But the pyrotechnics were great I thought. I know they're coming and after 20 something years of going every year it still gets me pumped at least.

On another note. Can they please stop reading off every single riders name and their home town before the race starts? Naming a full gate of riders for every single race, even LCQs was definitely nails on a chalkboard after the first time you heard it. Anyone else felt that way or am I bitter lol.
I’ve always felt that way too. Talk about who is on the gate and what might unfold in the race that’s coming. No need to name every rider, their birthplace, and team. It’s annoying lol.
Premixed112
2/19/2019 1:58pm
I’ll never forget when Eli Tomac came out to a pop version of Enter Sandman by Metallica. Totally got me pumped up when I heard it...
I’ll never forget when Eli Tomac came out to a pop version of Enter Sandman by Metallica. Totally got me pumped up when I heard it come on then when I realized it was a pop remix I was Sick
Yuck. The only thing worse than Enter Sandman is a pop version of it. I think I remember barcia coming out to Seek and Destroy. Now that shit is rad
crt32
2/19/2019 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 2:33pm
cpyz300 wrote:
I was at Dallas, and the opening ceremonies seemed just as good as ever to me with the exception that yeah, there's no Windham hucking enormous...

Agree on reading the rider's names off. It would be cool if the rides introduced themselves (similar to the KTM JR intro, and for the background maybe to have their sponsors listed.) Then you would get to see their personalities.

They could do a similar thing on the TV broadcast (mimick the way the NFL introduces the Defense and Offense Players).
hotlasagna
Fantasy
2414th
2/19/2019 2:31pm
MAKE OPENING CEREMONIES GREAT AGAIN!
plowboy
2/19/2019 3:28pm
I’ve always felt that way too. Talk about who is on the gate and what might unfold in the race that’s coming. No need to name...
I’ve always felt that way too. Talk about who is on the gate and what might unfold in the race that’s coming. No need to name every rider, their birthplace, and team. It’s annoying lol.
Unless you are the riders parents, grand parents, siblings, friends, teams or sponsors. I get what you're saying but I see why they do it.
Zycki11
2/19/2019 3:36pm
I agree, they have added many guys on the intros instead of the "top" guys and this has cut down on the authenticity of certain riders. This in turn makes it boring and stale.
Killer Customz
2/19/2019 3:43pm
yak651 wrote:
prize money actually went up a little!
2/19/2019 3:43pm
I still get goosebumps when I hear Back in Black, thinking of MC on the Yamaha. Same thing when I hear Thunderstruck, thinking of Reed and Tators
dylanmx45
2/19/2019 4:02pm
I’ve always felt that way too. Talk about who is on the gate and what might unfold in the race that’s coming. No need to name...
plowboy wrote:
Unless you are the riders parents, grand parents, siblings, friends, teams or sponsors. I get what you're saying but I see why they do it.
x2. I sponsor a privateer (top 8-15 guy in lites) and I get so pumped every time I hear them call out my company, haha.
2/19/2019 5:32pm
cpyz300 wrote:

I thought the pre show was awesome. My gf was jazzed af and thought the flames were sick. (It was her first SX).

Also, this past weekends track didn’t have any jumps to throw whips or nac’s off of. The triple in the middle was too technical and the finish wasn’t large enough for style. It really was fun to watch the races on because it felt like watching a pitchers duel or a defensive shootout. But that might only be good for the core of core. Yet provided some of the best racing of the year.
FlaNard
2/19/2019 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 6:47pm
I vividly remember MC and RC doing a lap together at opening ceremonies the year MC lost the title in Vegas. They did a gate drop and everything. I think to either "blind" by Korn or "the beautiful people" by Manson. It was amazing. The MC and Pastrana days were worth the price of admission for opening ceremonies alone.
Fox88
Fantasy
21st
2/19/2019 6:52pm
GrapeApe wrote:

levimx22 wrote:
windham, houston, 2012. biggest transfers ive ever seen. everyone in the box was going crazy. people were cheering. it was great. arlington the other night seemed...
windham, houston, 2012. biggest transfers ive ever seen. everyone in the box was going crazy. people were cheering. it was great. arlington the other night seemed like there were barely any cheers besides when chad came out. no where near what it used to be.
I saved this photo from this site back in the day of Windham transferring in Houston, don't know who took it...

Post a reply to: What happened to opening ceremonies?

The Latest