What happened to individuality?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/22/2018 7:09 AM

I understand the team thing and for teams like PC and Geico, I get the team look... but I miss the days when each rider had their own individual style. Even "non-team" guys who ride for certain gear brands (Fly) end up all wearing the same gear each weekend. In some cases, it makes it difficult to distinguish who the riders actually are.

I think back to Team Honda and the Hondaline deals. At least those guys had a choice of what they wanted to wear as opposed to having to wear the same thing as everyone else on the team.

And no, it really doesn't matter... but we need a break from team PR and Ronnie Mac discussions.

|

8/22/2018 7:27 AM

There is no “I” in Team!

|

8/22/2018 7:35 AM

Pretty sure it comes down to what the gear companies want to push that day. If fly wants a certain colorway advertised the best way to do it is to have their riders in it.

Uniform looks nice but mx isnt a team sport between riders unless youre redbull ktm. Having riders match isnt the way id like it either. Keep the matching at the truck.

|

8/22/2018 7:36 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

There is no “I” in Team!

There is a “m” and an “e” though.

|

8/22/2018 7:37 AM

I like when teams have the same uniform..it makes the team a team...

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

8/22/2018 7:42 AM

kb228 wrote:

Pretty sure it comes down to what the gear companies want to push that day. If fly wants a certain colorway advertised the best way to do it is to have their riders in it.

Uniform looks nice but mx isnt a team sport between riders unless youre redbull ktm. Having riders match isnt the way id like it either. Keep the matching at the truck.

I thought it was cool when Peak/Pro Circuit did it in 1990 but I really do miss the individuality... you'd have thought they'd at least be able to keep the custom painted helmets!! But when you're looking for places to stamp an energy drink logo, no better place right?

|

8/22/2018 7:43 AM

I like the team look too. JT has talked about how strict the drink companies are with colors and logo placement. We are really just seeing the limitations of production and multiple marketing departments coming together.

|

8/22/2018 7:48 AM

Yeah I see it both ways. Can you imagine an NFL team allowing each guy to wear whatever jersey/pants they wanted? it would be chaos. I like it when teams dress alike, you can tell who is on the Team and who is just riding the same brand of bike. Mudders are a good example, you can't see the numbers and the bikes are all brown but you can pick out who is a TLD guy from his kit.

|

8/22/2018 8:00 AM

deluxeman wrote:

Yeah I see it both ways. Can you imagine an NFL team allowing each guy to wear whatever jersey/pants they wanted? it would be chaos. I like it when teams dress alike, you can tell who is on the Team and who is just riding the same brand of bike. Mudders are a good example, you can't see the numbers and the bikes are all brown but you can pick out who is a TLD guy from his kit.

I hear you... but is MX really a team sport? Or do individual riders simply ride for the same sponsor? (notice my specific lack of using "team") If The Patriots win the Super Bowl, everyone including the backup to the backup kicker gets a ring. It's not the same in MX. You don't see team paint themed NASCARs. Maybe similar designs, but the colors are different.

Did Josh Grant get anything because RV won a title? Does Cooper Webb get a bonus if Barcia wins a moto? I'd suggest Mudders have the opposite effect where now that the numbers are completely covered, you can't tell any of the Monster PC guys apart.

Once I got my first custom painted helmet, my dad said he could always find me by looking for the bright pink helmet or the bright fluorescent yellow helmet (depending on which I was wearing). It made me easy to spot on the track in a pack because it was different than everyone else.

|

8/22/2018 8:32 AM

deluxeman wrote:

Yeah I see it both ways. Can you imagine an NFL team allowing each guy to wear whatever jersey/pants they wanted? it would be chaos. I like it when teams dress alike, you can tell who is on the Team and who is just riding the same brand of bike. Mudders are a good example, you can't see the numbers and the bikes are all brown but you can pick out who is a TLD guy from his kit.

ga_pike wrote:

I hear you... but is MX really a team sport? Or do individual riders simply ride for the same sponsor? (notice my specific lack of using "team") If The Patriots win the Super Bowl, everyone including the backup to the backup kicker gets a ring. It's not the same in MX. You don't see team paint themed NASCARs. Maybe similar designs, but the colors are different.

Did Josh Grant get anything because RV won a title? Does Cooper Webb get a bonus if Barcia wins a moto? I'd suggest Mudders have the opposite effect where now that the numbers are completely covered, you can't tell any of the Monster PC guys apart.

Once I got my first custom painted helmet, my dad said he could always find me by looking for the bright pink helmet or the bright fluorescent yellow helmet (depending on which I was wearing). It made me easy to spot on the track in a pack because it was different than everyone else.


Talking about helmets, and teams.

Remember when, in international events, different countries ran a specific color to denote what team they were on?
America had blue with v like white stripes from front to back. Look at the old MXDN or ISDE events.
I even painted my street bike helmet that scheme, was cool. I'd be gassing up at the service station and some guy would walk up and it was like we were brothers, "Hey man, did you hear Lackey went to Kawasaki?.

Total stranger, but the same, all because of a helmet color.
|

8/22/2018 8:33 AM

ga_pike wrote:

I understand the team thing and for teams like PC and Geico, I get the team look... but I miss the days when each rider had their own individual style. Even "non-team" guys who ride for certain gear brands (Fly) end up all wearing the same gear each weekend. In some cases, it makes it difficult to distinguish who the riders actually are.

I think back to Team Honda and the Hondaline deals. At least those guys had a choice of what they wanted to wear as opposed to having to wear the same thing as everyone else on the team.

And no, it really doesn't matter... but we need a break from team PR and Ronnie Mac discussions.

It's my opinion that this push for conformity across all riders and teams has hurt the value of the sport overall.

Individualism in SX/MX appears to be dead. Listening to Pulp the other day someone mentioned how now that Plessinger is going to the 450 class he needs to straighten up and take things seriously. This sport, like every sport, has value in entertainment. Professionalism isn't always entertaining. This isn't synchronized swimming or a dance competition.

What we need in this sport is personality. If the media surrounding the sport wants more viewership/readership then they need to help build the personality that is already there. Matthes has done a great job in this category. Starting with Jimmy Albertson. A rider that would have been overlooked by many fans had it not been for Matthes getting him on the line all the time. Then the seven deuce deuce, who would have followed him? Phil Nicolleti and his Eeyore personality is entertaining. Peick with his pissed of no F's given attitude. Even RV, any glimpse of his human side would have never been known without someone getting personal with him and sharing it with the sport.

We need personality in a bad way. Even though Ryan Dungey was a world class athlete and everything you want your kids to grow up as...he wasn't that entertaining for the sport. We need a variety of personalities. This world likes drama so give it to them.

|

8/22/2018 8:37 AM

dsmith wrote:

I like when teams have the same uniform..it makes the team a team...

but it is interesting, especially in an individual participation sport. the team is only a team in that multiple guys ride for the same sponsors on the same bike. but as far as results go, they're not a team at all.

now if there was a manufacturers points system, then one could argue that they are actually a Team.

|

8/22/2018 8:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 8:54 AM

Why not have the guys wear different gear during practice and the motos? Talk about pushing colorways, you have 4 guys then let each one wear a different colorway.

I have seen this before, or at least during practice seen where guys on a team weren't all wearing the same color. I think it would be good for a team to know, oh Savatgy is in Orange, Forkner is in gray, AC in green, and Davalos is in yellow (hypothetically).

|

8/22/2018 8:56 AM

dsmith wrote:

I like when teams have the same uniform..it makes the team a team...

peelout wrote:

but it is interesting, especially in an individual participation sport. the team is only a team in that multiple guys ride for the same sponsors on the same bike. but as far as results go, they're not a team at all.

now if there was a manufacturers points system, then one could argue that they are actually a Team.

I get that...I just like when a team chooses riders they want on the team and they all look like they are from the same team...if one of the team rider wins and gets a million dollars and nobody else on the team gets squat ...that's the way it goes in our sport...I get that

|

scte3.0 pro-line trinity tekin

8/22/2018 9:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 9:03 AM

I think the Team look has been terrible for the sport by just making the riders generic. I'm about as hardcore a fan as you can be, and in the 250 class, I have a hard time telling the guys apart. All you have is a number to differentiate these young stars coming up. It would appear to severely damage their ability to market themselves. Plus it's just boring.

Back in the day, RJ, Ward, Matiasevitch, Bradshaw and especially Lechien had incredibly distinctive looks that were a huge part of their image. That's the big bike class but damn, let's get some personality back into the sport and its riders. I think riders were more interesting characters back in the day because they weren't motocross robots raised on nothing but pounding laps and going to the gym.


|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/22/2018 9:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 9:04 AM

Edit- hey mods the embed photos thing isn't working

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/22/2018 9:07 AM

You guys want the sport to grow and then in the same breath you don't because it ruins your "back in the day" nostalgia.

There's more to the team than the riders. There's the engine builders, the mechanics, the suspension guys, the guy(s) who drive the truck. They're the team . It isn't and individual sport anymore than any other form of racing. Just because you're the rider/ driver, doesn't mean you're on your own. Far from it.

There are no individual efforts. Even privateers have help from family, friends, etc. It's a team sport...nobody does it by themselves successfully.

As for loosing the individuality...I think you have some kids you need to yell at to get off your lawn.

Change is the only constant.

|

8/22/2018 9:34 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

There is no “I” in Team!

There is an i in privateer though. That is where you can be an individual.

|

8/22/2018 10:06 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

There is no “I” in Team!

DPR250R wrote:

There is a “m” and an “e” though.

Good point!

|

8/22/2018 10:06 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

There is no “I” in Team!

GoldenKTM wrote:

There is an i in privateer though. That is where you can be an individual.

Better point!

|

8/22/2018 10:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 12:56 PM

Motocross is not a team sport. They have riders who ride for the same brands sure, but it's not a team sport.

And i hear ya, i miss they days when riders had their own style...or at least their helmets. Shit, you could spot Mcgrath ANYWHERE on the track just by looking at his lid. Nowadays the only thing that differs one from the other is the buttpatch.

|

8/22/2018 11:11 AM

Zaugg wrote:

You guys want the sport to grow and then in the same breath you don't because it ruins your "back in the day" nostalgia.

There's more to the team than the riders. There's the engine builders, the mechanics, the suspension guys, the guy(s) who drive the truck. They're the team . It isn't and individual sport anymore than any other form of racing. Just because you're the rider/ driver, doesn't mean you're on your own. Far from it.

There are no individual efforts. Even privateers have help from family, friends, etc. It's a team sport...nobody does it by themselves successfully.

As for loosing the individuality...I think you have some kids you need to yell at to get off your lawn.

Change is the only constant.

I totally see how the team look is good for the team and sponsors, but it's so generic. Nobody roots for Geico Honda riders because they are ardent fans of Geico Insurance. Nobody really follows team results- it's about the rider. If the 250 stars were marketed more as individual riders and not interchangeable robots, they might be around longer. Most fans like a particular rider because of their personality, and I have no idea of the personality of a guy you only see with his helmet on and who only talks about sponsors and putting in work.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/22/2018 11:20 AM

It's 2018. There is more individual rider personality available to fans via social media/podcasts/vlogs than there ever has been before. Nobody was a fan of McGrath just because he wore a helmet with bubbles and a fin.

|

8/22/2018 11:31 AM

I liked it when the team look was a new, different thing and not everyone had it.

Now it is too cookie cutter and confusing. I too would like to see more options for riders as far as what they wear.

|



8/22/2018 12:06 PM

ga_pike wrote:

I hear you... but is MX really a team sport? Or do individual riders simply ride for the same sponsor? (notice my specific lack of using "team") If The Patriots win the Super Bowl, everyone including the backup to the backup kicker gets a ring. It's not the same in MX. You don't see team paint themed NASCARs. Maybe similar designs, but the colors are different.

Did Josh Grant get anything because RV won a title? Does Cooper Webb get a bonus if Barcia wins a moto? I'd suggest Mudders have the opposite effect where now that the numbers are completely covered, you can't tell any of the Monster PC guys apart.

Once I got my first custom painted helmet, my dad said he could always find me by looking for the bright pink helmet or the bright fluorescent yellow helmet (depending on which I was wearing). It made me easy to spot on the track in a pack because it was different than everyone else.

I heard Marv got a big check for pulling over for Dungey his last year in supercross.......

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

8/22/2018 12:13 PM

I get what you mean, when I see a TLD rider on the track they pretty much all look the same and it’s hard to differentiate. When I was younger I used to like seeing rider’s custom helmets, especially McGrath and Pastranas.

I can see why professionalism is important in the sport but I definitely like to see the fun aspect as well as riders’ personalities. Hell, why do you think people still y’all about J-Law? I wasn’t a big Plessinger fan until he jumped in that mud puddle at the SX last season. I like AC just because of his personality really. I wish Tomac would open up!

|

8/22/2018 1:11 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Edit- hey mods the embed photos thing isn't working

Looks okay to me.

Photo

|

8/22/2018 1:15 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

There is no “I” in Team!

Photo
|

8/22/2018 2:32 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

There is no “I” in Team!

TP216 wrote: Photo

that's a dick and there's definitely an i in dick

|

8/22/2018 2:35 PM

What they wear doesn't matter. How they finish does. What they wear has no impact on how they finish.

|