What happened to Tomac?

NorCal 50+
2/12/2018 10:23am
There is something missing with Tomac. I only see him on TV, but it all just seems like a job to him. The same way Villo was. There doesn't seem to be any wind in his sails this year, and the pull-offs are looking bad.
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
2/12/2018 10:24am
plowboy wrote:
I've never raced an SX but from what I've seen its pretty exacting. If your bike is tweaked you are a hazard to yourself and others...
I've never raced an SX but from what I've seen its pretty exacting. If your bike is tweaked you are a hazard to yourself and others. Maybe that's the difference between a professional SX racer and a keyboard racer?
Don't even be coming on here with logic! This is a Tomac bashing thread... Seems like there is a bit more "quit" in Tomac than others but at the end of the day how many have ever tried to ride a SX (or even an AX track) with a twisted up bike???

Here's my take. Tomac seems to have given up on SX for the season. He is looking at the outdoors already perhaps? And after the first turn pileup, he and Kawasaki have to agree on the decision to quit for the night. If Kawi feels like he shouldn't continue in the idea of racing for another title this summer so be it. That's for the employer/employee to hash out. The internet doesn't have much say in it really.

CR250Rider
2/12/2018 10:28am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2018 10:28am
40% of a racer's time is in the air? Jump-cross

The Shop

bball35
2/12/2018 11:17am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
There is something missing with Tomac. I only see him on TV, but it all just seems like a job to him. The same way Villo...
There is something missing with Tomac. I only see him on TV, but it all just seems like a job to him. The same way Villo was. There doesn't seem to be any wind in his sails this year, and the pull-offs are looking bad.
+1 on this. I give him three more years tops and hes retired.
DEMONDAVE
2/12/2018 11:51am
is this ET'S last yr on his kawi contract ? speculation as to where he lands next ? KTM ? Yamaha ?
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
2/12/2018 12:04pm
keinz wrote:
MX is a totally different game from SX. We all know that. You're smarter than that, aren't you?
JAFO92
2/12/2018 12:05pm
DEMONDAVE wrote:
is this ET'S last yr on his kawi contract ? speculation as to where he lands next ? KTM ? Yamaha ?
KTM? They only hire riders that actually want to finish the race on their bike.

4rings
2/12/2018 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2018 12:51pm
JAFO92 wrote:
KTM? They only hire riders that actually want to finish the race on their bike. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/12/243710/s1200_max_102112mustsee_656322.jpg[/img]

Lol!

I love KTM and dislike Tomac but I can't agree with you... How many years was Millsaps signed to ride a KTM? Canard was another good contract. smh
51xc
2/12/2018 1:02pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
There is something missing with Tomac. I only see him on TV, but it all just seems like a job to him. The same way Villo...
bball35 wrote:
he actually said a couple times he wants to have a long career unlike rv.

however, I wouldn't blame him to retire early. this sport has probably the worst 'fans' ever. he's a 2 time 250 champ, 450 mx champ and is already top 10 in combined 250/125 and 450/250 sx wins of ALL TIME. and people still doubt him and give him shit because he had a view bad races so far.
MXMiKEMX
2/12/2018 1:35pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I agree. He doesn't look like he has the fire anymore. Like you said, it seems like a job to him. Tomac, like RV, has complained about how many races there are, and how it is a lot of racing. I could see him doing outdoors, then going over to GP's to finish out his Kawi contract. Just a guess though.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
2/12/2018 1:40pm
DEMONDAVE wrote:
I'm not a fan of his and have no clue if he's staying put or moving to another team but I'd like to see him on Yamaha.

Number 3 on blue looks good and reminds me of Brownie.

dmac1
2/12/2018 2:00pm
bball35 wrote:
Close!

Remember guys...the throttle tube was bent, brake lever gone, grip gone, bars bent. Bike was WOT laying on the ground. Not rideable around a SX track like that. Could they have repaired it a few laps in...well...you'd think, if they wanted to. But yeah....it did seem like a bit of abrupt exit....I can't argue that and have no insight there.

It does seem that focus has likely shifted to outdoors...just need to survive SX. Thats my take at this point. In other words, if can place high/possibly win, go for it. Otherwise (ala Oakland) just finish or be safe.

Shoulder was a real deal, but then there was Shorty who rode the majority of Dakar with fractured tib/fib.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
2/12/2018 2:13pm
dmac1 wrote:
Close! Remember guys...the throttle tube was bent, brake lever gone, grip gone, bars bent. Bike was WOT laying on the ground. Not rideable around a SX...
Close!

Remember guys...the throttle tube was bent, brake lever gone, grip gone, bars bent. Bike was WOT laying on the ground. Not rideable around a SX track like that. Could they have repaired it a few laps in...well...you'd think, if they wanted to. But yeah....it did seem like a bit of abrupt exit....I can't argue that and have no insight there.

It does seem that focus has likely shifted to outdoors...just need to survive SX. Thats my take at this point. In other words, if can place high/possibly win, go for it. Otherwise (ala Oakland) just finish or be safe.

Shoulder was a real deal, but then there was Shorty who rode the majority of Dakar with fractured tib/fib.
No he wants to ride for a long time.
2/12/2018 2:20pm
Eli is going to continue to get beat up on the forums until he puts together a win streak. I say he starts a win streak this weekend in Arlington with JA in a close 2nd place.
2/12/2018 2:25pm
Know one really knows whether Tomac can handle adversity or not.
But the problem is one of appearances. His body language, quick decisions, slow get ups after a fall, the growing history of pulling out and the lack of explanation and openess on details - all add up to form an impression. Just not sure whether it is True.

Kawasaki and Tomac need to start thinking about a PR strategy cause the appearances arent helping either brand.
2/12/2018 2:30pm
Survive sx healthy and be ready for the Nationals. I think he should ride the first few rounds of GP. To hec with sx.
DEMONDAVE
2/12/2018 3:11pm
DEMONDAVE wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
KTM? They only hire riders that actually want to finish the race on their bike. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/12/243710/s1200_max_102112mustsee_656322.jpg[/img]

winner / \
jemcee
2/12/2018 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2018 7:07pm
dmac1 wrote:
Close! Remember guys...the throttle tube was bent, brake lever gone, grip gone, bars bent. Bike was WOT laying on the ground. Not rideable around a SX...
Close!

From the home page

2/12/2018 7:31pm
bball35 wrote:
dmac1 wrote:
Close!

Shoulder is a nightmare. Tib/Fib isnt end of the world, my wife got top 10 at the MTB Downhill world championships with a spiral fracture on her tib/fib, but sat out 3 races from a seperated shoulder.

Also, this thread blows.
Wiff3
2/12/2018 7:36pm
So, Eli has championships, and numerous wins in both classes, including beating Dungey last season more often than not, and all of a sudden, he's a quitter? How did he get those wins, luck? How many hours, days, weeks, months, and years does he have on the seat, not to mention the gym, to be able to be one of he fastest riders on the planet? But he's called a quitter because a few things haven't gone the way some people think they should go. Is this really the conversation?.........
hamncheeze
2/12/2018 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2018 11:08pm
Wiff3 wrote:
So, Eli has championships, and numerous wins in both classes, including beating Dungey last season more often than not, and all of a sudden, he's a...
So, Eli has championships, and numerous wins in both classes, including beating Dungey last season more often than not, and all of a sudden, he's a quitter? How did he get those wins, luck? How many hours, days, weeks, months, and years does he have on the seat, not to mention the gym, to be able to be one of he fastest riders on the planet? But he's called a quitter because a few things haven't gone the way some people think they should go. Is this really the conversation?.........
There’s no win for him. Currently he’s a quitter and a head case. If he skips MXoN he’s a jihadist. If he starts winning and dominating then he’s a boring interview.

Honestly, Moto has to have the most critical and most negative fans at times. All these guys work hard. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes you end up with your arm in another guy’s swingarm. I have respect for any guy who rides an AMA Supercross. Can’t we just cheer for our favourites but respect the other riders?

Time for this thread to be put to sleep in the Dumbgeon.
Sully
2/12/2018 11:14pm
Shoulder is a nightmare. Tib/Fib isnt end of the world, my wife got top 10 at the MTB Downhill world championships with a spiral fracture on...
Shoulder is a nightmare. Tib/Fib isnt end of the world, my wife got top 10 at the MTB Downhill world championships with a spiral fracture on her tib/fib, but sat out 3 races from a seperated shoulder.

Also, this thread blows.
I have nothing else to add to this thread except; I hope you never piss your wife off. She sounds tougher than everyone posting in this thread combined.
2/12/2018 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2018 11:44pm
hamncheeze wrote:
There’s no win for him. Currently he’s a quitter and a head case. If he skips MXoN he’s a jihadist. If he starts winning and dominating...
There’s no win for him. Currently he’s a quitter and a head case. If he skips MXoN he’s a jihadist. If he starts winning and dominating then he’s a boring interview.

Honestly, Moto has to have the most critical and most negative fans at times. All these guys work hard. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes you end up with your arm in another guy’s swingarm. I have respect for any guy who rides an AMA Supercross. Can’t we just cheer for our favourites but respect the other riders?

Time for this thread to be put to sleep in the Dumbgeon.
Yep, couldn't agree more. A few years ago he was criticized for trying too hard to win and crashing and injuring himself, now he's criticized for not trying hard enough. Best part is though the same people who say these things also seem to disappear whenever the guy does well.. hmmm. Huh
IWreckALot
3/19/2018 10:28am
Remember this thread?? Eli went from zero to hero within a few races.
There isn't another racer out there with Tomac's pure speed. It's the bad nights that you win or lose the championship. That's why Tomac is in the position he's in. Anderson and Musquin both seemed perplexed by Tomac's speed.

Post a reply to: What happened to Tomac?

The Latest