What happened to "The Gear Industry is over-saturated"?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/1/2021 12:06 PM

Remember One Industries, Alias MX, & No Fear,. They had to fold because of "too many gear companies". Well here we are again a few years and Leatt adds itself to the list now? I'm pretty sure the industry has added over 6 companies in the last 10 years. Is history going to repeat itself and multiple companies crumble soon? I think more than the main 5 companies was too much extra bs out there.

The only companies people currently remember:
Fox, Thor, Troy Lee Designs, Alpinestars, Seven MX

The rest are junk.

|

I'm just here to stir sh#t up...

9/1/2021 12:13 PM

Why are you complaining?

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

9/1/2021 12:17 PM

Because the rest look terrible and are so cheaply made. Its a complete waste to have a new gear company again. If anything dump the newest 5 companies and bring back NO FEAR again. At least they made gear for a King.

|

I'm just here to stir sh#t up...

9/1/2021 12:29 PM

Start a list and let's see how many MX gear companies you can come up with.....the business has been booming of course, but it won't last forever.

|

9/1/2021 12:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2021 12:34 PM

It's like anything else. Technology changes and people have access to the materials and know-how. Remember how when you were a kid and you bought stick-on numbers for your bike. Then Decal Works had pre-prints and it was a big deal. Now you can get full custom graphics at a number of places. Some are good, some are bad but there are options. There are plenty of smaller gear companies that offer great designs, quality materials, customization and just something different from what the normal brands are offering. That is a good thing, no matter how much you want to try and spin it as a negative. Buy what you like.

|

9/1/2021 12:37 PM

nrosso391 wrote:

Because the rest look terrible and are so cheaply made. Its a complete waste to have a new gear company again. If anything ...more

I would suggest you contact Leatt and tell them toy quit making gear because you say so. I'm sure they'll get right on that.....

|

9/1/2021 12:40 PM

I can easily think of more. Fly, Shift, Answer, FXR. All seem to be doing pretty well from what I can tell so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

|

2003 CR250R - 2006 KX250 (freessshhhh)

9/1/2021 12:44 PM

I'm always for more options, whether it's gear, graphics, or bikes in general. If there were only a few options things would get pretty boring and repetitive pretty fast.

|

9/1/2021 12:53 PM

More competition is good for the consumer.

|





9/1/2021 12:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2021 1:00 PM

Fox
Thor
Troy Lee Designs
Alpinestars
Seven MX
Renen
Oneal
Leatt
Fly
Shift
Answer
FXR
CanvasMX
Fast House

Here's a start...14 on the list so far. Cut/Paste this and add to it because I know we are missing some.

|

9/1/2021 12:57 PM

nrosso391 wrote:

Remember One Industries, Alias MX, & No Fear,. They had to fold because of "too many gear companies". Well here we are ...more

The rest are junk? Really?

I've seen more people wearing Fly than Thor, Troy Lee, Alpinestars and Seven combined.

Have you been to a track or race lately?

|

9/1/2021 1:03 PM

Thor gear has sucked for like 4 years. Fox too. TLD is played out, its always the same beach bum designs for california 30 year old boomers who just wanna talk about the past.

AStars is really producing nice stuff, Seven seems to be slowing down but still nice. Although the price is getting pretty high for some of their stuff. Innovation is nice but it always passes the premium on to us.

|

9/1/2021 1:07 PM

The OP states that No Fear and Alias folded due to "too many companies", an example that seems to reject its own premise. Since Alias and No Fear gear were both operated by Jeff Surwall, it naturally follows that if No Fear folded due to "too many companies", he wouldn't have opened the next.

|

9/1/2021 1:11 PM

nrosso391 wrote:

Remember One Industries, Alias MX, & No Fear,. They had to fold because of "too many gear companies". Well here we are ...more

LungButter wrote:

The rest are junk? Really?

I've seen more people wearing Fly than Thor, Troy Lee, Alpinestars and Seven combined.

Have you ...more

FXR is killing in in New England. See it all over the practice track and at the races. Def see a ton of Fly too like you said

|

9/1/2021 1:17 PM

Chris_Buehler wrote:

FXR is killing in in New England. See it all over the practice track and at the races. Def see a ton of Fly too like you said

Yep.

Come to think of it I see more Fasthouse than all those other brands combined as well.

|

9/1/2021 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2021 1:33 PM

LungButter wrote:

The rest are junk? Really?

I've seen more people wearing Fly than Thor, Troy Lee, Alpinestars and Seven combined.

Have you ...more

Chris_Buehler wrote:

FXR is killing in in New England. See it all over the practice track and at the races. Def see a ton of Fly too like you said

LungButter wrote:

Yep.

Come to think of it I see more Fasthouse than all those other brands combined as well.

I got a set of Fasthouse gear as a gift about two years, It's still running hard to this day. Snagged it on a million trees and hit the ground countless times and have one small tear in the knee of the pants. Really comfortable stuff, and some of their Jersey's are made in the USA as well. I've had to contact their customer support a few times and had my problems solved within minutes, no sitting on hold, no being transferred to other people.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

9/1/2021 1:36 PM

Owen H wrote:

Thor gear has sucked for like 4 years. Fox too. TLD is played out, its always the same beach bum designs for california 30 ...more

30 year old boomer? Tell me more

|

9/1/2021 1:43 PM

Wish alias was still around. Stuff was cheap and looked good. Wore a set of my old stuff this past weekend. Still looks awesome. Better than most of the current stuff offered.

|

9/1/2021 1:46 PM

Title should read "gear industry is most profitable part of powersports" that's why so many companies launch their own lines.

|

9/1/2021 1:47 PM

Owen H wrote:

Thor gear has sucked for like 4 years. Fox too. TLD is played out, its always the same beach bum designs for california 30 ...more

JazzyJJ wrote:

30 year old boomer? Tell me more

If you dont know, you might be a 30 year old boomer lol

|

9/1/2021 1:48 PM

Rickyisms wrote:

I got a set of Fasthouse gear as a gift about two years, It's still running hard to this day. Snagged it on a million trees ...more

How’s that stuff fit? Prob bout to pull the trigger on some. I vary between sizes. Hate stuff super tight but got shift gear last year and stuff Is huge. But like tld stuff same size fits perfect.

|

9/1/2021 1:49 PM

Phil109 wrote:

Wish alias was still around. Stuff was cheap and looked good. Wore a set of my old stuff this past weekend. Still looks ...more

I agree with everything you just said, I even wore my old alias stuff this past weekend. I dyed it to give it a new look and it is my favorite set right now.

|

9/1/2021 1:52 PM

While we are on the subject of gear… how about somebody make a pair of gloves that last a couple motos….not sure if my hands have grown to giant size but every glove I try on is tight, I have to order XX large just to get them on …

|

9/1/2021 1:57 PM

nrosso391 wrote:

Because the rest look terrible and are so cheaply made. Its a complete waste to have a new gear company again. If anything ...more

BAD10 wrote:

I would suggest you contact Leatt and tell them toy quit making gear because you say so. I'm sure they'll get right on ...more

Omg...smh. You are completely missing my point.

|

I'm just here to stir sh#t up...

9/1/2021 1:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/2/2021 7:02 AM

LungButter wrote:

Yep.

Come to think of it I see more Fasthouse than all those other brands combined as well.

Rickyisms wrote:

I got a set of Fasthouse gear as a gift about two years, It's still running hard to this day. Snagged it on a million trees ...more

Phil109 wrote:

How’s that stuff fit? Prob bout to pull the trigger on some. I vary between sizes. Hate stuff super tight but got shift gear ...more

Similar to TLD. I'm 6'1 and am a whopping 135 without gear on. I wear a Medium Jersey and Size 30 pants. I wear Medium T shirts and size 30 pants in casual clothing for reference.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

9/1/2021 2:01 PM

I think no fear folded due to money mismanagement and One Industries was bought by a company that isn’t into moto

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

9/1/2021 2:02 PM

sandman768 wrote:

While we are on the subject of gear… how about somebody make a pair of gloves that last a couple motos….not sure if my hands ...more

Just buy some Mechanix Wear gloves. Half the price, 5x the durability.

You're welcome.

*This advice does not apply if you need to be trendy and have every piece of gear perfectly match*

|

9/1/2021 2:03 PM

Owen H wrote:

Thor gear has sucked for like 4 years. Fox too. TLD is played out, its always the same beach bum designs for california 30 ...more

JazzyJJ wrote:

30 year old boomer? Tell me more

Owen H wrote:

If you dont know, you might be a 30 year old boomer lol

Opening your own facility should work out well of you’re this smart.

|

9/1/2021 2:04 PM

Fox
Thor
Troy Lee Designs
Alpinestars
Seven MX
Renen
Oneal
Leatt
Fly
Shift
Answer
FXR
CanvasMX
Fast House

SHOT
Kenny
UFO
Acerbis
Yoko

|

9/1/2021 2:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2021 2:18 PM

JazzyJJ wrote:

30 year old boomer? Tell me more

Owen H wrote:

If you dont know, you might be a 30 year old boomer lol

tobz wrote:

Opening your own facility should work out well of you’re this smart.

Thought about it, working on getting my track going first. I'd hate to put everyone out of business all at once, you know...

EDIT: I thought you meant gear facility. derp.

|