What happened to SoCal?

fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 5:47pm
I've never lived in California but I did spend a few memorable summers there when I was a kid (early-mid 80s). I had the special opportunity to ride and race at places like Indian Dunes, Saddleback, etc. I thought the place was heaven on earth. I remember looking at other kids living/surfing/skating around the beach cities and I thought they were so lucky to grow up there.

Given that, I'm surprised to see so many riders name California as the "worst place on earth" in RXI 2-Tribes and other interviews. What the hell happened? I know about the financial problems in CA but why would riders not like it there? The weather, the scenery, the atmosphere (at least the atmosphere as I remember it). What's not to love? Is it because the fun-loving surfers and skateboarders have turned to the MMA/TKO bros or what? I refuse to believe it. I'm hanging on to my positive memories of California.
|
SteveS
6/19/2010 5:34am
Probably starts with traffic and runs to drugs, Mexicans, and too many distractions and money suckers.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
6/19/2010 5:44am
Liberalism took over. Not saying that the republicans are much better these days, and don't want to get into a political debate. It's still a beautiful place to live/visit, just not raise a family.
bobby397
6/19/2010 6:03am
FMX is what happened to SoCal................

The Shop

6/19/2010 6:42am
Heck they over regulated everything... you can't ride on your own land in many places. Besides being crowded expensive and in many places dangerous to live.
buggz
6/19/2010 6:50am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:28pm
SteveS wrote:
Probably starts with traffic and runs to drugs, Mexicans, and too many distractions and money suckers.
Bingo! Because nobody will do anything with all the Illegal aliens there, the rest of that crap just multiplies, they breed like rabbits get their kids in the system then the POS government gives them money and benefits to stay! So millions of them drive their half ass repaired salvage title cars,buy & sell dope and work everywhere under the table ,and none of their money goes back into the system , they send it back home to get the rest of the family over here to America. So yea, it has really gone down hill. The only time I go back ,is for racing and business.
TerryK
6/19/2010 7:27am
Simple. The kids grew up and the realities of life set in. When you're a kid, all that cool stuff seems like the only thing in the world. When you have no worries, you don't notice the bad stuff.
rc4187
6/19/2010 7:30am
You thought it was heaven and so did everyone else. Everyone moved out there. Now it's crap.
motomom4
6/19/2010 8:18am
My family loves it ! We are native So Californians, we live in Murrieta. We have at least 6 public tracks within 30-60-minutes from our house, the beach is 40 minutes away, the mountains nearby, perfect weather year round. We couldn't ask for more IMO!
captmoto
6/19/2010 8:52am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2010 8:55am
Wow, one comment from a local. How did the rest of you gain your experience? It seems like California is the place to bash by people that don't live here. Traffic can be dealt with, just plan. Yeah it sucks to able to drive Race Tech, Pro Circuit, Troy Lee, Enzo, Hinson, FMF Malcolm Smith's and more in an hour MAX, not to mention the tracks. We don't put our bikes in the basement in the winter and try to find the best place to get our spokes powder coated or hand polish our frames. WE RIDE AND RACE. Like anything else it's learning to adapt and appreciating what you have. Oh yeah, we also have lakes that put out world class largemouth bass and now the Catalina Grand Prix.
englishman
6/19/2010 9:02am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2010 9:04am
captmoto wrote:
Wow, one comment from a local. How did the rest of you gain your experience? It seems like California is the place to bash by people...
Wow, one comment from a local. How did the rest of you gain your experience? It seems like California is the place to bash by people that don't live here. Traffic can be dealt with, just plan. Yeah it sucks to able to drive Race Tech, Pro Circuit, Troy Lee, Enzo, Hinson, FMF Malcolm Smith's and more in an hour MAX, not to mention the tracks. We don't put our bikes in the basement in the winter and try to find the best place to get our spokes powder coated or hand polish our frames. WE RIDE AND RACE. Like anything else it's learning to adapt and appreciating what you have. Oh yeah, we also have lakes that put out world class largemouth bass and now the Catalina Grand Prix.
I've lived here for 13 years, I ride twice a week and race also, I've never seen a "basement" - chillout man don't take it so personally.
CamP
6/19/2010 9:16am
Too many people.
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
6/19/2010 9:28am
I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley (Glendora). In the 70's and 80s the valley was still full of strawberry fields, orange groves, plenty of hills to climb around and ride on and build BMX tracks as kids and such. Lots of riding oppertunity for MXer's as well. Now its all gone, houses in every single chunk of land, freeways that are 6-7-8 lanes wide that are parking lots during peak driving times. Also, Im far from a rasist but it really has become a place where as a white person you are bit of a minority with lots of immigrants both legal and illegal. When I go down to visit I am shocked at just how packed that whole basin has become with houses. Definately not the same place I remember as a kid.
DanDunes818
6/19/2010 9:28am
I grew up there and when I go back to visit family I can take maybe 1 week there before I need to get out of there. It's a rat race there and I agree with most of the reasons everybody above gave. Somebody above mentioned the fact that when you're a kid it's all good but when you grow up you realize what's really going on. I agree w/that assessment 100%. I grew up in Valencia Ca. so life was all about Magic Mountain and Indian Dunes so of course California rocked. When you get older Magic Mountain and indian dunes turns into work and traffic. Not to mention IMO the people there suck. Gated community's, fake ass money hungry people, meth heads and illegals are not my thing. Not that that's all that's there but there is a large amount of all the above. I love the NW now. Real people that are just here to enjoy there families and friends makes up 99% of the NW.
Masonry
6/19/2010 9:29am
The area that all the pros live in is pretty hot and dusty and full of track homes.
crewshin
6/19/2010 9:45am
Masonry wrote:
The area that all the pros live in is pretty hot and dusty and full of track homes.
Your point is?

The only thing I'm going to add to this dumb thread is... anybody that says California has bad traffic needs to go spend a year in Chicago.

The only road that truly sucks in California is the 91 during rush hour.
motomom4
6/19/2010 9:47am
Masonry wrote:
it's 65 right now with a high of 85 today, lovin it, but yeah it does get pretty hot out here not gunna lie. It's crossed my mind to move, but everywhere I think of has it's pros and cons....
j100
6/19/2010 9:48am
crewshin wrote:
Your point is? The only thing I'm going to add to this dumb thread is... anybody that says California has bad traffic needs to go spend...
Your point is?

The only thing I'm going to add to this dumb thread is... anybody that says California has bad traffic needs to go spend a year in Chicago.

the 55, 5, 101, 405, 110, ect.... you must be high as a kite if you think that the 91 is the only fwy with issues.
Slow
6/19/2010 9:53am
SteveS wrote:
Yeah those Mexicans take all the jobs the spoiled white kids won't do!
downandup
6/19/2010 9:57am
yes, it's crowded in California, but "the worst place in the world to live?" how about Papua New Guinea? Or Yemen? We have it made here compared to odd places like that! Those places REALLY suck! Put it into some perspective people!
crewshin
6/19/2010 9:59am
crewshin wrote:
Your point is? The only thing I'm going to add to this dumb thread is... anybody that says California has bad traffic needs to go spend...
Your point is?

j100 wrote:
the 55, 5, 101, 405, 110, ect.... you must be high as a kite if you think that the 91 is the only fwy with issues.
No. I'm just not a wuss bag when it comes to driving. I'm tempered from Chicago traffic.

Go take a cruise on the Ryan, Stevenson or Eisenhower in Chicago and get back to me.
zjbell
6/19/2010 10:31am
I'd hate CA too If I lived in the 9oh9.
Team Euro
6/19/2010 10:36am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2010 10:36am
I grew up there and when I go back to visit family I can take maybe 1 week there before I need to get out of...
I grew up there and when I go back to visit family I can take maybe 1 week there before I need to get out of there. It's a rat race there and I agree with most of the reasons everybody above gave. Somebody above mentioned the fact that when you're a kid it's all good but when you grow up you realize what's really going on. I agree w/that assessment 100%. I grew up in Valencia Ca. so life was all about Magic Mountain and Indian Dunes so of course California rocked. When you get older Magic Mountain and indian dunes turns into work and traffic. Not to mention IMO the people there suck. Gated community's, fake ass money hungry people, meth heads and illegals are not my thing. Not that that's all that's there but there is a large amount of all the above. I love the NW now. Real people that are just here to enjoy there families and friends makes up 99% of the NW.
At least we remember the good times there, Avocados 10 for a dollar, just a few farm homes on the road to the track, You could pull off the road and just sleep if you were too tired or high to make it to the Dunes. Do that now ,,you go to jail. Good times gone to the shits. Watching MASH reruns makes my throttle hand twitch.
motomom4
6/19/2010 10:42am
zjbell wrote:
the 951 isn' the 909 anymore and it's actually way better than the 714, 619, or 760 in my opinion especially if you love mx!
zjbell
6/19/2010 10:46am
zjbell wrote:
motomom4 wrote:
the 951 isn' the 909 anymore and it's actually way better than the 714, 619, or 760 in my opinion especially if you love mx!
or meth.

Post a reply to: What happened to SoCal?

The Latest