What happened to Barcia's YZF?

Edited Date/Time 2/3/2020 4:08am
Any inside info?

Unusual to see the big bikes fail these days, particularly at SX where the motor isn't getting such a hammering. I was wondering if anyone was in the pits and got word about what went wrong?

Did they swap a motor? If so, how long did it take and how many men were on it (if you were there?)
|
walent215
2/2/2020 7:33am
They showed a quick clip of the team doing a motor swap. Looked to be 4-5 techs working on it. It had to have been less than 30 minutes. That's amazing imo....
SEE ARE125
2/2/2020 7:49am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2020 9:04am
What do you mean the motor isn’t getting much hammering? This is Barcia we’re talking about. Laughing

The Shop

benstone
2/2/2020 8:18am
TV doesn't do justice to the sound of SX but Bam Bam is on another noise level. If you go to a race with him in it, close your eyes for one lap and I can guarantee you'll know when he goes by. He bounces that engine of the limiter non-stop. It's not just on the ground - he also spins the shit out of it in the air on jumps too. It would be interesting to have him and Roczen do a 1:1 race like they do in the middle of Arenacross. Roczen is sooooo smooth and hardly seems like his bike is running and then Barcia is there piss-pounding that poor engine like it stole his girlfriend.
wvumounty
2/2/2020 9:04am
Every four stroke drops a valve...

Ghost
You just gave 722 a new song. And every two stroke has a bog.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
2/2/2020 9:06am
You could hear him a couple of times as he was coming through the pack and he was just holding it wide open when he came up behind riders. Sounded like an A rider stuck behind a C rider in the woods LOL!! I think it was while trying to get around Plessinger in one spot, he had to have the clutch pulled and the throttle pinned....
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
2/2/2020 9:11am
Great job by team Yamaha to turn that bike around so quick. That's gotta be super stressful.

Got to like Justin's heart too. Running the bike back so they could get started on it.

I hope he gets back on the podium soon to keep making this championship interesting.
2/2/2020 9:23am
Well, yeah i guess I hadn't given consideration to Bam Bam's riding style..

That said, thats the first YZF motor I remember him blowing, so they've been pretty durable up to now.
Maybe Yamaha raised the Rev limit trying to get a bit more out of it for him, but failed?
2/2/2020 9:57am
slipdog wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/02/401858/s1200_Screenshot_2020_02_02_at_9.37.08_AM.jpg[/img]

Looks like a coat hook
2/2/2020 10:03am
Him claiming to run a more stock motor set up this year have anything to do with it?
TeamGreen
2/2/2020 10:05am
benstone wrote:
TV doesn't do justice to the sound of SX but Bam Bam is on another noise level. If you go to a race with him in...
TV doesn't do justice to the sound of SX but Bam Bam is on another noise level. If you go to a race with him in it, close your eyes for one lap and I can guarantee you'll know when he goes by. He bounces that engine of the limiter non-stop. It's not just on the ground - he also spins the shit out of it in the air on jumps too. It would be interesting to have him and Roczen do a 1:1 race like they do in the middle of Arenacross. Roczen is sooooo smooth and hardly seems like his bike is running and then Barcia is there piss-pounding that poor engine like it stole his girlfriend.
It’s funny; but, I usually comment...as I hear the mid-air-rev-limiter somewhere across The track from us & we all look over in that direction...”Oh, there’s Bam-Bam! Does he hate his engine?”
Laughing
newmason
2/2/2020 10:06am
Most of been that stock motor they were raving about in the off season
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
2/2/2020 10:10am
Every four stroke drops a valve...

Ghost
wvumounty wrote:
You just gave 722 a new song. And every two stroke has a bog.
Only if its done like Poisons every rose has its thorn.
SEEMEFIRST
2/2/2020 10:13am
slipdog wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/02/401858/s1200_Screenshot_2020_02_02_at_9.37.08_AM.jpg[/img]

That sumbitch must have fallen in the hole.

That's pretty amazing.
bvm111
2/2/2020 10:14am
slipdog wrote:

Looks like a coat hook
Wow 😯
mxtech1
2/2/2020 10:31am
Him claiming to run a more stock motor set up this year have anything to do with it?
Jesus Christ....I get so tired of hearing that he's running a stock motor.

"stock" to a factory team simply means they aren't on a full blown mod motor trying to squeeze every bit of power they can.

The fact that Dan Crower is posting a picture of one his valves tells you everything you need to know about his motor program.

Momus
2/2/2020 10:34am
slipdog wrote:

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

That's pretty amazing.
Yep, she's fallen in the hole so not a valve failure per se. Keepers and retainer issue or broken spring/s.
Momus
2/2/2020 10:38am
mxtech1 wrote:
Jesus Christ....I get so tired of hearing that he's running a stock motor. "stock" to a factory team simply means they aren't on a full blown...
Jesus Christ....I get so tired of hearing that he's running a stock motor.

"stock" to a factory team simply means they aren't on a full blown mod motor trying to squeeze every bit of power they can.

The fact that Dan Crower is posting a picture of one his valves tells you everything you need to know about his motor program.

That looks like a stock standard Yamaha valve.

What do you mean that shot tells us everything we need to know about Crower's engine program?
zippytech
2/2/2020 11:03am
You guys talking about how he hits the rev limiter big deal... I have seen guys at AMA nationals rev old junk for hours on end on Saturday night.
2/2/2020 12:54pm
Momus wrote:
Yep, she's fallen in the hole so not a valve failure per se. Keepers and retainer issue or broken spring/s.
If the retainers and/or collet failed id expect to see the top of the stem chewed up a bit. Im wondering if the piston had flipped on to its side??

That said to bend up like this it had to have been quite far down in to the bore. More than 'normal' opening?
mxtech1
2/2/2020 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2020 3:04pm
Momus wrote:

What do you mean that shot tells us everything we need to know about Crower's engine program?
Look my friend.

Yamaha signed Barcia back in, what 2017? He's always rode with that style and Yamaha knew that when they signed him. Yamaha's bike was/is notoriously strong down low and equally powerful through the rest, but not necessarily made to live in the upper end of the RPM range. Thus, the chassis was developed to handle well not on the top end. For over 2 years now, Barcia has been trying to perfect a slightly different riding style lower in the power range. His results have reflected that, in my opinion. It appeared Yamaha was more rigid on making him adapt to the "base" package as opposed to changing the bike to fit his famous riding style until the start of this season.

Yamaha & Barcia have been very vocal about changes to the bike this year to allow him to ride the bike his most natural way....in the upper end. His speed and ability to move forward in a main this year have been noticeably stronger than the past 2 years, and it's because Yamaha has made engine changes that can support that riding style.

If Dan has his valves, it means he is doing head work for Factory Yamaha. At a minimum, they are using him for valves and likely cam & piston development, but I wouldn't be surprised if Crower was doing complete head assemblies for them. Crower is infamous for making some screamer bikes. Factory Yamaha probably does the from the cylinder down.

Barcia needed a new head to make that bike and his riding come alive. I'm sure Yamaha and Crower are still tweaking things as they gain experience. That huge jump into the sand this weekend that caused simultaneous compression of the suspension and loss of speed, landing wide open lap after lap, places a huge load on that motor...talking peak loading scenarios over short durations of time. It's a scenario they probably didn't test for yet and it might have exposed a weakness in the motor they haven't solved yet. Cuz remember, to get em to spin higher and faster means lighter rotating mass and increased compression.

I'm happy to see Yamaha invested the extra money this year to make the bike work for him. I want to see him stay strong with his old riding style and challenge these guys for podiums and wins. I expect to see Barcia turn it up out East when they get in better dirt that ruts up where his new package is going to shine. We got a glimpse of it at St. Louis where he was fast all day, qualifying 5th, and then rode great to a 2nd place finish in the main while keeping Roczen to less than 5 seconds.
kiwifan
2/2/2020 3:25pm
What happened? well it went boom boom ....I always marvelled at how all his bikes from Honda to JGR to Yamaha managed to hold together, lets face it he is very hard on the engine than any other rider out there, eventually one had to go bye bye
kiwifan
2/2/2020 3:40pm
slipdog wrote:

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

That's pretty amazing.
Doesnt seem to be any damage to the valve itself, obviously the valve stem is buggered, if the valve 'fell in the hole' surely the damage would of been worse? (I have seen one to be able to ratify that or not)
JB 19
2/2/2020 3:41pm
zippytech wrote:
You guys talking about how he hits the rev limiter big deal... I have seen guys at AMA nationals rev old junk for hours on end...
You guys talking about how he hits the rev limiter big deal... I have seen guys at AMA nationals rev old junk for hours on end on Saturday night.
It's flat out amazing. I've watched guys at Mid Ohio when they had the Super Bike races hold stock sport bikes on the limiter for most of the evening and night. Red hot exhaust headers, flames coming out of the muffler.... the level of abuse they can endure is like a magic trick.
kiwifan
2/2/2020 3:45pm
Momus wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:
Look my friend. Yamaha signed Barcia back in, what 2017? He's always rode with that style and Yamaha knew that when they signed him. Yamaha's bike...
Look my friend.

Yamaha signed Barcia back in, what 2017? He's always rode with that style and Yamaha knew that when they signed him. Yamaha's bike was/is notoriously strong down low and equally powerful through the rest, but not necessarily made to live in the upper end of the RPM range. Thus, the chassis was developed to handle well not on the top end. For over 2 years now, Barcia has been trying to perfect a slightly different riding style lower in the power range. His results have reflected that, in my opinion. It appeared Yamaha was more rigid on making him adapt to the "base" package as opposed to changing the bike to fit his famous riding style until the start of this season.

Yamaha & Barcia have been very vocal about changes to the bike this year to allow him to ride the bike his most natural way....in the upper end. His speed and ability to move forward in a main this year have been noticeably stronger than the past 2 years, and it's because Yamaha has made engine changes that can support that riding style.

If Dan has his valves, it means he is doing head work for Factory Yamaha. At a minimum, they are using him for valves and likely cam & piston development, but I wouldn't be surprised if Crower was doing complete head assemblies for them. Crower is infamous for making some screamer bikes. Factory Yamaha probably does the from the cylinder down.

Barcia needed a new head to make that bike and his riding come alive. I'm sure Yamaha and Crower are still tweaking things as they gain experience. That huge jump into the sand this weekend that caused simultaneous compression of the suspension and loss of speed, landing wide open lap after lap, places a huge load on that motor...talking peak loading scenarios over short durations of time. It's a scenario they probably didn't test for yet and it might have exposed a weakness in the motor they haven't solved yet. Cuz remember, to get em to spin higher and faster means lighter rotating mass and increased compression.

I'm happy to see Yamaha invested the extra money this year to make the bike work for him. I want to see him stay strong with his old riding style and challenge these guys for podiums and wins. I expect to see Barcia turn it up out East when they get in better dirt that ruts up where his new package is going to shine. We got a glimpse of it at St. Louis where he was fast all day, qualifying 5th, and then rode great to a 2nd place finish in the main while keeping Roczen to less than 5 seconds.
Except wasnt Barcia (or his team) quoted that he is trying to change his riding style to be lower in the rev range, and indeed the first round he was doing that, and he (ironically) won that round. So IF that is the case, then why would they build a screamer motor for a different riding style?

Post a reply to: What happened to Barcia's YZF?

The Latest