What happened on PulpMx with producer

early
Fantasy
2231st
12/29/2015 9:34pm
How big is the following or ratings for the pulp show? I've never really listened. But when you listen to talk radio I swear to god...
How big is the following or ratings for the pulp show? I've never really listened. But when you listen to talk radio I swear to god everyone of them hate their program directors/producers. It's like an understood phenomnen.
I think Steve has said something like 20k downloads per show. Gibbs wasnt so much a program director as much as a switchboard operator for calls and segment intros.

People liken podcasts to talk radio, but the ones that i listen to are more passion projects by the participants adressing very niche activites, not the typical talk radio blow hards.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
12/29/2015 9:42pm
Matthes dont be a cheap Canadian pretend your district 23 and pay tits the big bucks
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
12/29/2015 10:03pm
Matthes wrote:
It's cool to me that a small thing like this happening on our show gets its own thread on Vital! People want to look for some...
It's cool to me that a small thing like this happening on our show gets its own thread on Vital!

People want to look for some big thing that happened or maybe a fight or whatever but sometimes, things just end. I felt like we needed a change in that position for chemistry sakes, I felt like Gibbs was losing interest and getting angrier and I did hear the numerous voicemails, read the tweets, emails or on here for people that were also not pumped on having him on the show. Like, it got to be a lot. Add all three of those things up and we decided to make a change. Gibbs is cool, he did a good job for us and hopefully he's not pissed.
GuyB wrote:
Currently the bar for getting a thread on here is pretty low. Hopefully it goes up as we get into the real season. Wink
Was that a backhanded compliment or just a backhanded comment? Wink
pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
12/29/2015 10:16pm
I thought that Tallon did a pretty dope job the other week. Good voice for radio and knows his way around a motorcycle by the sounds of things.

The Shop

12/29/2015 10:54pm
Whatever is best for the show, and Matthes surely knows that better than us. I was impressed with his diplomacy and professionalism with the parting of ways. A skill he no doubt learned while breaking the hearts of many Manitoba moto-hoes back in his Championship days.
flatout111
12/30/2015 12:20am
I seriously think Steve's shows are one of, if not the best thing about motocross and supercross, other than actual racing. I thoroughly love the shows and am thankful for them

Btw, I thought Tallon was good. I actually thought Travis was good too. Seemed to run a bit smoother the second week but both were fine.

And Gibbs was fine. I thought people piled up on him too much. But hey, I also understand Steve wanting a change as there had gotten to be a lot of venom out there for the kid. Probably best to just move on for all parties involved.
kkawboy14
12/30/2015 7:24am
How big is the following or ratings for the pulp show? I've never really listened. But when you listen to talk radio I swear to god...
How big is the following or ratings for the pulp show? I've never really listened. But when you listen to talk radio I swear to god everyone of them hate their program directors/producers. It's like an understood phenomnen.
I thought all that stuff is just part of their schtick to keep the show more interesting. Or dumb which ever
kaptkaos
12/30/2015 7:47am
I for one, hate to see people get fired, but lets be honest, this wasnt a career job. Gibbs proved that he HAS NO CLUE about how to get along in this world. He was dragging the show down horribly. To his credit, he got a little better on the last 2 shows but listening to his comments on the show and on this board, its painfully obvious he has no clue about anything. I also listened to his Podcast, the whole thing....and OMG was it bad. Then he comes back and says he had nothing to talk about, what am I supposed to talk about???? Duh...I really feel sorry for him because he has no clue and I dont see good things happenning for him in future endevours.

Steve, thanks for making the change, you should have done it long ago, the show is tons better.
racer495a
12/30/2015 7:52am
Glad to see him gone. That said he seems like a nice guy that just needs to mature and become more comfortable with who he is.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
12/30/2015 8:59am
I personally believe that Steve played all those voicemail complaints so often in an effort to open Gibbs eyes to the fact that he needed to rethink his approach to the show.

Gibbs, seriously, when your boss is constantly getting inundated with complaints about your performance and instead of trying to improve, you just tell the world that you don't give a shit, what did you really expect to happen?
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
12/30/2015 10:08am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 10:10am
CRF505 wrote:
I get no enjoyment in seeing someone "fired", but I was happy to see him go. The previous producer, Tits, was a bit of a "lovable...
I get no enjoyment in seeing someone "fired", but I was happy to see him go. The previous producer, Tits, was a bit of a "lovable loser". The Tits vs Tits segment was funny and his lack of moto knowledge was entertaining. He spoke when he was spoken to, which was just right when it came to how much you want to hear from a producer (much like an on air radio show). Gibbs was not the on air talent - that's Steve, Keefer, DV, Watson, and Ping's job. Gibbs needed to just shut up and do his job. He was dumb, had horrible opinions, and had a terrible radio voice that sounded a lot like Butthead or Napoleon's brother. In addition, his lisp and inability to read were maddening, so no one wanted to hear the guy. He detracted from the show, big time.
I concur 100%.

Steve - this gentlemen expressed with almost all of us were thinking. Print this out and hand to all of the "try out" producers that come in.

And I miss the "Bottom Line " shows you did from the Nationals a few years back.
12/30/2015 11:38am
If you listen to Devins last show he goes off on a guy for making Devin
the subject of the Shows " Future Headlines " in the form of a e-mail . Steve gets it but Devin is pist
and carries the anger to a last minute rant at the end of the show. His last minute on the show turns
out to be his worst minute of the last two years.

His occasional F bombs at listeners always made me a little pist.
I went from liking him and feeling for him and his issues to downright disgust.
He chose to put that persona out there for us, he chose wrong.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
12/30/2015 11:44am
Its important to remember how small a cog any person is in a small role in a small sport.
EcoSX478
12/30/2015 11:52am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 11:59am
SPYGUY wrote:
I personally believe that Steve played all those voicemail complaints so often in an effort to open Gibbs eyes to the fact that he needed to...
I personally believe that Steve played all those voicemail complaints so often in an effort to open Gibbs eyes to the fact that he needed to rethink his approach to the show.

Gibbs, seriously, when your boss is constantly getting inundated with complaints about your performance and instead of trying to improve, you just tell the world that you don't give a shit, what did you really expect to happen?
I thought the same thing these past few months. Gibbs needs to learn how to not let things get under his skin.

Regardless, Gibbs was always very respectful and nice whenever I called in to the show. I wish him the best of luck with his next venture.

Keep up the great work Steve. We fans very much appreciate everything you do for the sport!
12/30/2015 11:58am
Just find a salesman that is also a huge moto fan and that would work for Bassett treats.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/30/2015 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 1:33pm
Talon FTW after last night's show
MaxPower
12/31/2015 6:05am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2015 6:24am
By Gibbs Instagram post Steve clearly made the right decision. You know what you do when a somebody gives a nobody an opportunity that a thousand kids would kill for? You thank them. He didn't even have to mean it.
A little humility goes a long way in this world.
He had a good deal for anyone who has a passion for MX. He got to ride the Pulp wave and rub elbows with the biggest most relevant people in our sport,both past and present. I'd love and I'm sure thousands of others would love to be in that position.
To me,Steve seems like a person that can absorb a lot of crap. He must have had his fill.
If I were Gibbs, I'd start writing for magazines, fly out to every single pro race humanly possible throughout the year, spend 30 hours a week doing podcasts and hire his own little boy to cry that he isn't liked
Like other posters here I don't find enjoyment in seeing someone hacked, but I am happy to go back to listening to the show again.
I wouldn't mind a podcast by Steves wife of her view of the Pulp world. Like him or don't, you have to respect Matthes. He made himself a place in the MX world and puts in a ton of hours to make things happen. He made me a fan, I wasn't always.
hvaughn88
12/31/2015 6:30am
MaxPower wrote:
By Gibbs Instagram post Steve clearly made the right decision. You know what you do when a somebody gives a nobody an opportunity that a thousand...
By Gibbs Instagram post Steve clearly made the right decision. You know what you do when a somebody gives a nobody an opportunity that a thousand kids would kill for? You thank them. He didn't even have to mean it.
A little humility goes a long way in this world.
He had a good deal for anyone who has a passion for MX. He got to ride the Pulp wave and rub elbows with the biggest most relevant people in our sport,both past and present. I'd love and I'm sure thousands of others would love to be in that position.
To me,Steve seems like a person that can absorb a lot of crap. He must have had his fill.
If I were Gibbs, I'd start writing for magazines, fly out to every single pro race humanly possible throughout the year, spend 30 hours a week doing podcasts and hire his own little boy to cry that he isn't liked
Like other posters here I don't find enjoyment in seeing someone hacked, but I am happy to go back to listening to the show again.
I wouldn't mind a podcast by Steves wife of her view of the Pulp world. Like him or don't, you have to respect Matthes. He made himself a place in the MX world and puts in a ton of hours to make things happen. He made me a fan, I wasn't always.
That's an interesting idea regarding a podcast with Pookie. That would definitely be cool to listen to and get her viewpoint.
MaxPower
12/31/2015 1:44pm
But then again I don't know if I'd want my wife repeating my rants from her viewpoint
Rogue_10
1/1/2016 11:50pm
I didn't like Gibbs, he tried to hard to be funny and that shits me
1/2/2016 12:59pm
Let's be honest, it's a call screener position.

I'm just hoping Steve can hire someone that can keep the show under four hours and doesn't have a lisp.
pmcc
1/2/2016 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2016 3:58pm
I think it would have been better for Steve to say Gibbs was having some family time and leave it at thatWhistling
Olson
1/2/2016 4:11pm
I got to admit, I only listen to Pulp when I'm on my bike (non mx) and I've been lacking hours the last couple of months. I've missed this subject completely. Gibbs was a character but he better know when to shut it. The next producer should have a separate off switch for his mic at Steves desk.
The Champ
1/2/2016 7:31pm
Steve " We have Brain on line two"
Caller " it's Brian "
Devin " &^&**^%$^^^%%%&*((*&^"

I am not going to miss that.
Same here. That dude was way too dumb to be a Producer for pulpmx.

Post a reply to: What happened on PulpMx with producer

The Latest