What exactly is the *Factory Edition*?

Edited Date/Time 3/15/2012 8:01pm
Someone help me out, because Im still having trouble understanding exactly what the KTM 450 FE actually is?

The other 'Factory Edition' 250 & 350 models are simply graphics kits and a anodized rear sprocket are they not?

And the 450 is the same, but also a new SX/MX specific frame and engine? Making it a 2012 1/2 model year bike?

(oh, and it was supposed to come with a Akropovic was it not?)

Not bashing, just looking for some clarification.
|
motogrady
3/15/2012 4:24am
Someone help me out, because Im still having trouble understanding exactly what the KTM 450 FE actually is? The other 'Factory Edition' 250 & 350 models...
Someone help me out, because Im still having trouble understanding exactly what the KTM 450 FE actually is?

The other 'Factory Edition' 250 & 350 models are simply graphics kits and a anodized rear sprocket are they not?

And the 450 is the same, but also a new SX/MX specific frame and engine? Making it a 2012 1/2 model year bike?

(oh, and it was supposed to come with a Akropovic was it not?)

Not bashing, just looking for some clarification.
You talking about the bike that ran the 2012 SX series?
The one the public didn't start to get till a month ago?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/15/2012 4:33am
You throw out "but also a new MX/SX specific frame and engine" as if it's an afterthought to the graphics. Dungey told KTM what he wanted and they made it happen, fast. Pretty impressive effort if you think about it, not to mention unprecedented. The Factory Edition is just homologization compliance tool so they could race it.
MtnBoy
3/15/2012 8:26am
You mean the bike that has had a mechanical failure every time Mullins has raced it?

The Shop

lucero10x
3/15/2012 9:53am
What bike was he riding last weekend when he took second? Did he have a mechanical then too?

gncc article
DownSouth
3/15/2012 10:07am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2012 10:08am
GrapeApe wrote:
You throw out "but also a new MX/SX specific frame and engine" as if it's an afterthought to the graphics. Dungey told KTM what he wanted...
You throw out "but also a new MX/SX specific frame and engine" as if it's an afterthought to the graphics. Dungey told KTM what he wanted and they made it happen, fast. Pretty impressive effort if you think about it, not to mention unprecedented. The Factory Edition is just homologization compliance tool so they could race it.
"Dungey told KTM what he wanted and they made it happen"

Decoster said in a recent interview that the new 450 had been in development for well over a year and that Short was slated to race it this year prior to Dungey coming to the team.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/15/2012 10:17am
GrapeApe wrote:
You throw out "but also a new MX/SX specific frame and engine" as if it's an afterthought to the graphics. Dungey told KTM what he wanted...
DownSouth wrote:
[b]"Dungey told KTM what he wanted and they made it happen"[/b] Decoster said in a recent interview that the new 450 had been in development for...
"Dungey told KTM what he wanted and they made it happen"

Decoster said in a recent interview that the new 450 had been in development for well over a year and that Short was slated to race it this year prior to Dungey coming to the team.
Well don't I look stupid, then.

Smile
3/15/2012 10:29am
GrapeApe wrote:
I didnt throw it in as an afterthought. I was actually asking a question. Ive read on this forum from a KTM dealer that theirs nothing special about the frame and Ive also read that the engine is the same as whats in the EXC. Thus the reason I asked.

And yes, whatever KTM did this offseason, it was very impressive. I agree with you.

This thread wasnt meant to be a bashfest. Im just trying to understand what the whole "factory edition" bikes are in general other than a graphics kit and some anodized parts. Take the Roczen or Cairoli bikes for example....its not as if those bikes come with hopped up engines or anything right? Just graphics? Maybe an exhaust? I dunno. It's why Im asking.
hothands
3/15/2012 11:03am
lucero10x wrote:
What bike was he riding last weekend when he took second? Did he have a mechanical then too?

gncc article
He was on the regular 450 SX-F because they'd had all those problems with the FE in the National Enduros
Faceaz
3/15/2012 11:06am
If they called it a 2013, the rules for homologation would have been different & harder to meet. By still calling it a 2012, a different set of rules applies (how many units by what date). I bet the 2013 will be the same bike, minus a couple orange anodize parts & the #5 on the numberplates.
lucero10x
3/15/2012 11:40am
lucero10x wrote:

gncc article
hothands wrote:
He was on the regular 450 SX-F because they'd had all those problems with the FE in the National Enduros
I guess they don't have the resources to make it right like the MX team. Also shows how the 2012 is a competitive machine, too. Smile I am spinning, baby!
3/15/2012 11:44am
Faceaz wrote:
If they called it a 2013, the rules for homologation would have been different & harder to meet. By still calling it a 2012, a different...
If they called it a 2013, the rules for homologation would have been different & harder to meet. By still calling it a 2012, a different set of rules applies (how many units by what date). I bet the 2013 will be the same bike, minus a couple orange anodize parts & the #5 on the numberplates.
I have no doubts about what you wrote.

Im simply wondering what the difference is between a standard 2013 (12.5) and a "Factory Edition"
3/15/2012 11:48am
Faceaz wrote:
If they called it a 2013, the rules for homologation would have been different & harder to meet. By still calling it a 2012, a different...

Im simply wondering what the difference is between a standard 2013 (12.5) and a "Factory Edition"
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/15/2012 12:02pm
They built enough so that it was legal for Ryan Dungey to race this season. It's definitely a limited edition, but it also comes with a bunch of extra goodies that you might not find on their normal models.

One thing that I didn't mention in our video is that it comes with an EFI tuner standard.
Faceaz
3/15/2012 12:46pm
Faceaz wrote:

Since the 2013 hasn't come out, it's impossible to know. But again, my guess is very little changes from the Factory Edition to the 2013 model.
TeamGreen
3/15/2012 12:50pm
You could always go over to the KTM site and read up on it.

Jus' sayin'...

Great Bike that IS actually WORTH the Price if you're an Orange Moto-Rider/Racer lookin' for a new scoot.
TX24
3/15/2012 12:54pm
I saw one about 30 minutes ago, it was sold.

My 2010 250 XCFW "Champions Edition" was the 35th anniversary edition. It just has some extra orange bling parts, Red Bull graphics and axle pulls. To order more graphics you have to give the vin # to KTM.
3/15/2012 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2012 1:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:
You could always go over to the KTM site and read up on it. Jus' sayin'... Great Bike that IS actually WORTH the Price if you're...

Jus' sayin'...

Great Bike that IS actually WORTH the Price if you're an Orange Moto-Rider/Racer lookin' for a new scoot.
I'd rather avoid the marketing hype and just get a straight-forward answer from someone here.

Ive seen it advertised everywhere but I cant tell from the ads what is different about it. It was actually the Vital video on the homepage that got me to start this thread.

GuyB, do all the other FE's come with the EFI tuner software?
TeamGreen
3/15/2012 1:38pm
TeamGreen wrote:
You could always go over to the KTM site and read up on it. Jus' sayin'... Great Bike that IS actually WORTH the Price if you're...

Jus' sayin'...

I'd rather avoid the marketing hype and just get a straight-forward answer from someone here. Ive seen it advertised everywhere but I cant tell from the...
I'd rather avoid the marketing hype and just get a straight-forward answer from someone here.

Ive seen it advertised everywhere but I cant tell from the ads what is different about it. It was actually the Vital video on the homepage that got me to start this thread.

They actually do a really good job of expleining the specific "extras" it comes with...

I call it an "SXS Looking" Replica...those goodies would cast you quite a bit if you got them from the catalog after-the-fact...
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/15/2012 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2012 1:42pm
I'd rather avoid the marketing hype and just get a straight-forward answer from someone here. Ive seen it advertised everywhere but I cant tell from the...

Just so I'm clear, are you asking what is the difference between the Factory Edition and the production 2013 bike that hasn't been released yet and for which the specs are unknown?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/15/2012 1:48pm
If you want the maximum amount of specs and info I've seen on the 450 KTM SX-F Factory Edition, check here.
3/15/2012 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2012 1:51pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Just so I'm clear, are you asking what is the difference between the Factory Edition and the production 2013 bike that hasn't been released yet and...
Just so I'm clear, are you asking what is the difference between the Factory Edition and the production 2013 bike that hasn't been released yet and for which the specs are unknown?
I guess I didnt do a good enough job of explaining but yeah Im sorta asking that.....under the assumption that the 12.5 and '13 arent going to be much different.

Everyone was in awe a little when the bikes price was first announced, and then they didnt get the Akrapovic's in time. So to some of us, it isnt exactly clear what the deal is with the FE's whether it be the 250/350 or 450 other than some graphics and anodized bits.

My bad.
Suns_PSD
3/15/2012 1:56pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Interview w/ Decoster says that the bike was already going to be released and having Dungey sign made no difference. The plan was to have the new 450F ready for Short.

Now possibly Dungey only signed because the bike was going to be there...
Suns_PSD
3/15/2012 1:57pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Suns_PSD wrote:
Interview w/ Decoster says that the bike was already going to be released and having Dungey sign made no difference. The plan was to have the...
Interview w/ Decoster says that the bike was already going to be released and having Dungey sign made no difference. The plan was to have the new 450F ready for Short.

Now possibly Dungey only signed because the bike was going to be there...
Sorry. I should read more carefully.
3/15/2012 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2012 2:00pm
SunsPSD, It's my understanding that Dungey had a LOT to do with the development of that frame. The whole concept may have been well underway by the time Dungey signed, but I believe there was still a lot of input on what the finished product ended up being. Which is one of the reasons I was confused the other day when I read a KTM dealer say the FE was just the same frame they are already using on another bike.
3/15/2012 3:27pm
I didnt throw it in as an afterthought. I was actually asking a question. Ive read on this forum from a KTM dealer that theirs nothing...
I didnt throw it in as an afterthought. I was actually asking a question. Ive read on this forum from a KTM dealer that theirs nothing special about the frame and Ive also read that the engine is the same as whats in the EXC. Thus the reason I asked.

And yes, whatever KTM did this offseason, it was very impressive. I agree with you.

This thread wasnt meant to be a bashfest. Im just trying to understand what the whole "factory edition" bikes are in general other than a graphics kit and some anodized parts. Take the Roczen or Cairoli bikes for example....its not as if those bikes come with hopped up engines or anything right? Just graphics? Maybe an exhaust? I dunno. It's why Im asking.
The engine is the same as the EXC, but that EXC engine is completely and totally new from top to bottom and is 6lbs lighter than the engine in Alessi's 450 of last year. They had to homologate this bike so Dungey/Short, whoever, would be able to use that new FI engine in this season of SX. Thats it. They didnt build this bike for the public, but the rules state that had to make some available. Its pretty simple really.
Katoom72
3/15/2012 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2012 4:08pm
SunsPSD, It's my understanding that Dungey had a LOT to do with the development of that frame. The whole concept may have been well underway by...
SunsPSD, It's my understanding that Dungey had a LOT to do with the development of that frame. The whole concept may have been well underway by the time Dungey signed, but I believe there was still a lot of input on what the finished product ended up being. Which is one of the reasons I was confused the other day when I read a KTM dealer say the FE was just the same frame they are already using on another bike.
Dungey might aswell have a 'newer' frame then the one in the 2012 FE.
I am a big KTM fan, rode KTM all my life. (125,250,450, 990superdukeR) But i realy think the FE is just a marketing tool to sell units and meet the AMA homologation rules. Just an updated 2012 with RD's name on it and some extra goodies. Still far from factory. :p

Remember the 350? It had the 'fingerprint' of Stefan Everts. Grinning Same thing there, all marketing tricks. Smile

If RD made the SX title this year those things would probably sell like crack in a rehab facility.
TeamGreen
3/15/2012 6:31pm
I didnt throw it in as an afterthought. I was actually asking a question. Ive read on this forum from a KTM dealer that theirs nothing...

The engine is the same as the EXC, but that EXC engine is completely and totally new from top to bottom and is 6lbs lighter than...
The engine is the same as the EXC, but that EXC engine is completely and totally new from top to bottom and is 6lbs lighter than the engine in Alessi's 450 of last year. They had to homologate this bike so Dungey/Short, whoever, would be able to use that new FI engine in this season of SX. Thats it. They didnt build this bike for the public, but the rules state that had to make some available. Its pretty simple really.
Jeezus...it's as lame as ThumperTalk in here...
Rocket88
3/15/2012 7:36pm

The engine is the same as the EXC, but that EXC engine is completely and totally new from top to bottom and is 6lbs lighter than...
TeamGreen wrote:
Jeezus...it's as lame as ThumperTalk in here...
Does it really come with an orange powerband? Laughing

Post a reply to: What exactly is the *Factory Edition*?

The Latest