What ever happened to Supermoto?

Brent
Edited Date/Time 9/27/2013 12:11pm
...or 10,000 dollar tricked out CRF 50's for that matter?

I don't see or hear about either one anymore...

|
ThePipe
12/20/2010 1:35pm
I'm still wondering, what ever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost?
smrscott
12/20/2010 1:50pm
The list of wrong turns for supermoto is very long - and the economy had some to do with it.

First off, the AMA Pro series was never managed properly and they never "Invested into the sport" for long term growth.

Red Bull was a big part of it and and AMA Pro Racing took big sponsor money and instead of taking that money and investing it into a brand new series - they left it up the private promoters to do - which cost a lot and most lost money that first year.

If the AMA would have invested the Red Bull money into the sport for the first two years broke up the sponsor money over 4 years - and partnered up with the promotes of the nationals - the sport would have kept growing and maybe would have weathered the economic storm.

Then when the AMA sold AMA Pro Racing to DMG - they left Supermoto hanging that year - XTRM tried to step in but they had no idea what they were doing and had never promoted a racing event - needless to say it was a train wreck and races were canceled - riders and teams were pissed and interest fell.

Then XTRM tried to do it again in 2009 and it was again not good - then the economy was in the tank - teams pulled out and said they would no longer put so much effort into a series that put on crappy events

The rest is history

Lots of people still ride and race supermoto but there is no longer a Pro Series = just a few selected big non-sanctioned events like the Stateline Supermoto Challenge and events like the Xtreme Outlaws that took place last year in Reno Nevada
Rooster
12/20/2010 2:37pm
It's still out there. It's still as fun as ever. The series in Canada (west coast anyhow) is growing. Lot's of roadracers switching over due to the lower cost and better crash durability of the tards.

The Shop

Flatliner
12/20/2010 3:04pm
I'd imagine getting dropped from x games didn't help much either.
RACEGUY
12/20/2010 3:10pm
Flatliner wrote:
I really hope you are kidding.
Blake
12/20/2010 6:57pm
IMO it was doomed here.

America doesnt take very well to high dollar, high tech sports.

Look at Moto GP, its not all that popular considering millions ride street, and Supermoto is like F1.

user760a
12/20/2010 7:33pm
people realized that dirtbikes are the most fun when ridden in dirt. that is what happened
lumpy790
12/21/2010 8:09am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2010 8:10am
smrscott wrote:
The list of wrong turns for supermoto is very long - and the economy had some to do with it. First off, the AMA Pro series...
The list of wrong turns for supermoto is very long - and the economy had some to do with it.

First off, the AMA Pro series was never managed properly and they never "Invested into the sport" for long term growth.

Red Bull was a big part of it and and AMA Pro Racing took big sponsor money and instead of taking that money and investing it into a brand new series - they left it up the private promoters to do - which cost a lot and most lost money that first year.

If the AMA would have invested the Red Bull money into the sport for the first two years broke up the sponsor money over 4 years - and partnered up with the promotes of the nationals - the sport would have kept growing and maybe would have weathered the economic storm.

Then when the AMA sold AMA Pro Racing to DMG - they left Supermoto hanging that year - XTRM tried to step in but they had no idea what they were doing and had never promoted a racing event - needless to say it was a train wreck and races were canceled - riders and teams were pissed and interest fell.

Then XTRM tried to do it again in 2009 and it was again not good - then the economy was in the tank - teams pulled out and said they would no longer put so much effort into a series that put on crappy events

The rest is history

Lots of people still ride and race supermoto but there is no longer a Pro Series = just a few selected big non-sanctioned events like the Stateline Supermoto Challenge and events like the Xtreme Outlaws that took place last year in Reno Nevada
Well put Scott.

The Amateur side is still doing well in the North East with www.ESMRA.com and the Florida scene seems to be doing well.

Street Supermoto's have been growing ever since Suzuki & Yamaha started building them.
dcg141
12/21/2010 8:31am
user760a wrote:
people realized that dirtbikes are the most fun when ridden in dirt. that is what happened
Strangly enough riding dirt bikes on pavment is alot of fun also. I rode some Supermoto and its a blast. Several of my moto buddies did it for awhile and had alot of fun but the series went away. Just a few weeks ago we talking about missing the races.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/21/2010 9:05am
It is still decent on amateur level but its just too bad the pro level tanked...
12/21/2010 9:34am
user760a wrote:
Railing a corner on a supermoto bike is nothing short of nirvana. Complete smooth traction all the way around g-forces pulling.... Smile The other aspect I like is that it's such a low impact form of riding, you can push it all day long and not feel sore. Backing in to a corner is a hoot as well. Any Northwest guys interested , go check out Pat's acres in Canby,Oregon. It's a beautiful setting and a fun lower speed track to start on with lots of corners.
JustMX
12/21/2010 9:51am
user760a wrote:
Railing a corner on a supermoto bike is nothing short of nirvana. Complete smooth traction all the way around g-forces pulling.... :) The other aspect I...
Railing a corner on a supermoto bike is nothing short of nirvana. Complete smooth traction all the way around g-forces pulling.... Smile The other aspect I like is that it's such a low impact form of riding, you can push it all day long and not feel sore. Backing in to a corner is a hoot as well. Any Northwest guys interested , go check out Pat's acres in Canby,Oregon. It's a beautiful setting and a fun lower speed track to start on with lots of corners.
Where is the dirt?

Like a lot of motosports, SM priced itself out of the working class market by allowing expensive modifications.

Require stock size wheels, run a spec tire, and slow the coarses down and it has some potential.

Try some in the winter months when wet weather makes moto harder.

integrate youth racing.

Unfortunately AMA mismanagement doomed it and made it look like what a lot suspected all along.

that Supermoto was a last ditch effort to try to save Class C (or Grandnational) racing.

There is still potential for some kind of combination of Moto, TT, and road racing.
12/21/2010 9:59am
user760a wrote:
Railing a corner on a supermoto bike is nothing short of nirvana. Complete smooth traction all the way around g-forces pulling.... :) The other aspect I...
JustMX wrote:
Where is the dirt? Like a lot of motosports, SM priced itself out of the working class market by allowing expensive modifications. Require stock size wheels...
Where is the dirt?

Like a lot of motosports, SM priced itself out of the working class market by allowing expensive modifications.

Require stock size wheels, run a spec tire, and slow the coarses down and it has some potential.

Try some in the winter months when wet weather makes moto harder.

integrate youth racing.

Unfortunately AMA mismanagement doomed it and made it look like what a lot suspected all along.

that Supermoto was a last ditch effort to try to save Class C (or Grandnational) racing.

There is still potential for some kind of combination of Moto, TT, and road racing.
The dirt section is in the lower lefthand corner of the pic.

BTW, when I ride at Pat's I skip the dirt section, too much fun riding on the pavementSmile
lumpy790
12/21/2010 10:58am
We were big into SM products and were the only company to make AMA approved catch tanks that met the rules requirements. Fortunately we went back to our MX roots before SM started getting smaller. We still offer the catch tanks and Muffler Slider although the majority of Muffler Slider sales now go on road race or sport bikes.

I suggesting to the promoters for years to add a low cost 2 stroke class. That way people could start out by putting some street tires on then if they liked it get the wheels and front brake. Then if they wanted to go to the 4 strokes the wheels would bolt on to them too.
JPT
12/21/2010 2:14pm
Some of the best pure racing I've ever seen was Super-Moto. That final the first year that they ran at the RIO in Vegas was amazing. I went the following year when they ran it behind the the Paris was a lot of fun.Wardy put on a hell of a show.

Somebody mentioned the one's they had at the X-Games. They put on some great shows too. The race where they jumped back into the stadium and the following year with the pit stop. Some good stuff.

As far as racing goes the stuff I saw was much closer and more fun than the one rider displays SX has had lately.Hate to see it go away.
Flatliner
12/21/2010 3:32pm
Flatliner wrote:
RACEGUY wrote:
I really hope you are kidding.
Not at all, unless I missed something.

I love SM, I smile everytime a SM guy pulls up nxt to me on my sportbike. But wasn't xgames "the" money and exposure race of the year?
Motodave15
12/21/2010 4:58pm
Blake wrote:
IMO it was doomed here. America doesnt take very well to high dollar, high tech sports. Look at Moto GP, its not all that popular considering...
IMO it was doomed here.

America doesnt take very well to high dollar, high tech sports.

Look at Moto GP, its not all that popular considering millions ride street, and Supermoto is like F1.

This statement is so damn true!!!!..its soo hard to talk to any other american besides my dad about f-1 racing or the 24-hr le mans and so on..im an american and i love the high dollar, high tech sports but most dont!
YamaLink
12/21/2010 6:53pm
And to think I bought a tricked out $11,000 Husaberg 250F SuperMoto just for the contingencies.
smrscott
12/21/2010 10:09pm
Husaberg 250F????

People knocked supermoto in the beginning because they never tried it. I used to take out skeptics and let them ride my supermoto bike and after a few laps they came back and were all smiles. Supermoto is motocross with 100 percent traction on pavement and almost no traction in the dirt.

I used to take my supermoto bike out to tracks like Starwest and pass most of the people out there riding with knobbies.

Supermoto is more expensive (tires) then motocross but way cheaper than road racing.

People forget that with just a set of tires on stock rims, a 310-320mm front rotor kit anyone can go ride supermoto. It is way more affordable to go ride supermoto compared to buying a full Ti exhaust. Just pad up with better upper body padding, street gloves and ass pads and go ride.

It is too bad the pro series went into the crapper -
Willionaire
12/22/2010 5:45am
Still going strong in Colorado. In fact, the series has grown every year. We have a "Sportsman Class" where you can ride stock dirtbikes on knobbies for those who want to try it out.
SSFU154
12/22/2010 5:56am
I'm sure colorado is going to be my race series in '11...
alphado
12/22/2010 6:57am
I got hit with a double whammy. I used to race supermoto on a pitbike.
Flatliner
12/22/2010 3:18pm
what does it take to make a SM bike, Rims, tires, brakes and a slipper clutch?
Nutty C
12/22/2010 3:44pm
Who cares what happened to it . Glad it died
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/22/2010 3:48pm
Nutty C wrote:
I hope your car breaks down Smile
lumpy790
12/22/2010 5:00pm
Nutty C wrote:
seth505 wrote:
I hope your car breaks down Smile
Twice!
JPT
12/22/2010 5:24pm
Nutty C wrote:
So let me get this straight, it's not something you care for so you're glad others who do like it don't get to enjoy it?

I would guess you are young, if not chronologically then maturity wise.
TomZ
Fantasy
4402nd
12/22/2010 6:19pm
smrscott wrote:
The list of wrong turns for supermoto is very long - and the economy had some to do with it. First off, the AMA Pro series...

The rest is history

Well put Scott.
I could go on and on about various mistakes made by many people involved (myself included) but that won't change the fact that the pro racing is gone.

A lot of very hardworking, smart people tried to make it work. Too many factors worked against what might have been a truely entertaining form of racing. Troy, Marche,Scott ,Kurt, and so many others threw themselves into it headfirst.

Everyone who raced Supermoto loved it. Nearly every spectator loved watching.....but that was not enough.

Scott - Did you ever meet someone in all your travels that said they didn't like racing Supermoto ??

Maybe next time it will be built from the ground up instead of a pro series down.

Happy Holidays to all.

TomZ
Fantasy
4402nd
12/22/2010 6:23pm
alphado wrote:
I got hit with a double whammy. I used to race supermoto on a pitbike.
You did ??? When ??? Do i remember seeing you somewhere ??

I miss those days Alph.....good memories.

Post a reply to: What ever happened to Supermoto?

The Latest