What does FIM do for us here in the US?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2018 1:52 PM

I'm just curious. I know they are a global sanctioning motorcycle racing org. I know they were founded in France, but why us?

Why not just the AMA? I know, I know, AMA shmeyMA. I do not remember FIM always being a part of us here in the US. I thought I remembered seeing something about as long as we did SX in Toronto, we had to be a part of the group.

Just asking

|

3/5/2018 2:01 PM

The question is, what do you do in the US for the FIM? wink

Jokes aside, i guess the I stand for international and the A in AMA stands for America. Hense if you want the series to be a official World Championship, you need to involve FIM.

|

3/5/2018 2:14 PM

They make it for real.....legit.....relevant for themselves!

Basically the Promotional side of moto has a Union to protect themselves but frowns on the riders doing the same.

|

3/5/2018 2:19 PM

Unfortunate side effect of the turn of the century promoter war.

|

3/5/2018 2:20 PM

When the promotors, AMA and manfactures were battling. One of the three groups asked the FIM to run the series and basicly saved the series from the hands of the promotors and AMA. I might be a little off but it is something real close to how the the FIM became involved.

|

3/5/2018 2:21 PM

early wrote:

When the contracts run out why do they keep resigning with them?

|

3/5/2018 2:29 PM

early wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

Why do the powers that be keep re-signing with Ralph, Jeff, Dirtwerx, Fox? Up until last year things basically rolled along as they always did.

I'm being a bit sarcastic but i bet the real answer is both the FIM and Feld want SX to be a world championship.

|

3/5/2018 2:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 2:34 PM

early wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

early wrote:

Why do the powers that be keep re-signing with Ralph, Jeff, Dirtwerx, Fox? Up until last year things basically rolled along as they always did.

I'm being a bit sarcastic but i bet the real answer is both the FIM and Feld want SX to be a world championship.

I’m a business guy and I can’t for the life of me figure out any value that comes with the fim.

And since it’s the only game in town, sx, it’s not like the world can decide to watch another sx series instead of that one.

I can see a little value in the ama but honestly it isn’t much. Feld is a company that deals with contracts for stadiums and puts the dirt on the ground, it would be really easy for them to do rider payouts and sound testing.

|

3/5/2018 2:35 PM

Nothing.

|

3/5/2018 2:52 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

early wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

I’m a business guy and I can’t for the life of me figure out any value that comes with the fim.

And since it’s the only game in town, sx, it’s not like the world can decide to watch another sx series instead of that one.

I can see a little value in the ama but honestly it isn’t much. Feld is a company that deals with contracts for stadiums and puts the dirt on the ground, it would be really easy for them to do rider payouts and sound testing.

Official bonus money for the riders I figure. Doubt if they would pay bonus for the little dick raceway series.

|

3/5/2018 2:55 PM

They do nothing good. Pretty sure everyone has been waiting for them to go away from SX. Shouldn't have anything to do with it in the first place.

|

3/5/2018 3:01 PM

undermine right in front of your eyes.

|

3/5/2018 3:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 3:27 PM

Kinda agree but they were pretty much the first, over a century ago to do what they do.
They have tradition.
They are and have been global for, well, forever.
They bring credibility. Maybe not to everyone, but it's a big world out there.
If you are a Champion in an AMA/FIM National or World Championship, it counts worldwide.
All the greats, the legends, are AMA//FIM Champions.

As a rider, would you rather be remembered as a Feld and Company Champion, 20 years down the line,
a footnote or trivia question, known by but a few, or an FIM Champion, known around the world, as long as there is motorcycle racing?
|

3/5/2018 5:08 PM

Being connected to the global governing body of motorcycling adds legitimacy to the claims of a World Championship.

One other thing I can think of is that it's the liason to international racing. If there wasn't a connection between the AMA and FIM, we wouldn't be participating in the MXoN.

|

3/5/2018 5:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2018 6:52 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

early wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

The Japanese factories and Europeans for that matter, recognize that the FIM is the sanctioning body that recognizes and presents the World Championship title, and that means something that your brand or rider ranks as the champion of the world, for a specific class. That’s my take.

|

3/5/2018 5:34 PM

GuyB wrote:

Being connected to the global governing body of motorcycling adds legitimacy to the claims of a World Championship.

One other thing I can think of is that it's the liason to international racing. If there wasn't a connection between the AMA and FIM, we wouldn't be participating in the MXoN.

But the MXoN reference is a Motocross Nationals/MX Sports type of discipline. Or...isn't it? Which might not be FIM affiliated?

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/5/2018 5:36 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

But the MXoN reference is a Motocross Nationals/MX Sports type of discipline. Or...isn't it? Which might not be FIM affiliated?

True...but it's a necessary one. I assume that most people are thinking of this in reference to SX, but I had the thread title in mind while replying.

|

3/5/2018 5:45 PM

GuyB wrote:

Thanks for that info. Was not aware of that since we participated in the MXdN for 20+ years without the USA SX or MX series being FIM events. You learn something new every day.

|

3/5/2018 6:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 6:50 PM

GuyB wrote:

Frank wrote:

Thanks for that info. Was not aware of that since we participated in the MXdN for 20+ years without the USA SX or MX series being FIM events. You learn something new every day.

The outdoors, except for the very first years, have always been AMA events.
I think it was Dick Mann, AMA Grand National Champion back in the 60s, was banned from AMA Racing because he ran a few non AMA scrambles, or what was to become motocross, events.

Thing is, The FIM is The World of Motorcycling Governing body.
They award one organization per country the right to run races their way.
They make a lot of the rules, always have. For over 100 years.

And here in the US, the organization the FIM recognizes, is The AMA.
Everyone else, every other race organization, in their eyes, is bush league. Fly by nighters.
And much of the world feels the same.

AMA SX, a convoluted road has been traveled in that case.
The AMA kind of ignored it in the beginning.
Then they, the AMA, got involved, when it got to big. It could not be ignored,
The rights to organize and run those AMA races were then sold to private companies, who after awhile sold off to others.

But, they have always been AMA sanctioned events.

And the AMA has always did their thing under the umbrella of the FIM.

So, really, the FIM has always been there. If the FIM tells the AMA to jump, the AMA jumps.

http://www.fim-live.com/en/fim/the-federation/about-the-fim/

|

3/5/2018 6:56 PM

The Factories seem to buy into the Monster Million in las Vegas and it doesn’t seem to have ama or fim plastered all over it!

|

3/5/2018 7:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 7:23 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

The Factories seem to buy into the Monster Million in las Vegas and it doesn’t seem to have ama or fim plastered all over it!

And back in the 80s. Or 90s, the AMA dropped interest in RoadRacing.
So, really, for a few years back then, in the eyes of a The AMA, and The FIM, American Roadracing wasn't worth
bothering with.

One could probably put together a Stunt Bike Series.
You know, tricks, wheelies, lot of younger guys are into that too.

But, they aren't interest in that. Or don't seem to be. Those events are too fringe for them.
If you read the link, you'll see, stuff like Trials, Enduro, took them years to recognize those venues.

They are into what's global, kinda like The Olympics. I guess you could look at the FIM as The IOC of bikes.
|

3/5/2018 9:09 PM

FIM?? They do nothing for "us."
The Philadelphia Eagles are the de facto World Champions.
The Houston Astros are the de facto World Champions.
The Golden State Warriors are the de facto World Champions.
Naturally, it follows that The American Motorcyclist Association's Supercross Champion would be the de facto World Champion.
Anyway "they" can keep throwing FIM in there if they want.
wink cool

|

If you don't crash once in a while, you're not going fast enough.

3/5/2018 11:01 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

I think that goes for most sport governing bodies. Imo it is all about politics and getting personal benefits in stead of actually growing a sport. And for me the worst part is that they give away for virtually nothing the one thing that has actual value: the promotional rights of having something called an 'official' world championship.

You see crazy deals like the FIA giving away the promotional rights to F1 for 50 or 100 years to Bernie Ecclestone. Without any serious returns. Same with Youthstream, what does the FIM get in return?

The FIFA is obviously one corrupt gang but at least they own the promotional rights and make a bunch of money which does for a big part end up at the amateur level.

|

3/6/2018 12:49 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

early wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

What would the AMA do that the FIM doesn't?

|

3/6/2018 1:26 AM

I think motogrady is right with the AMA working under the umbrella of FIM.

Pretty sure it works that way in GPs. I know that the GP over here is run by ACU and I am presuming the FIM watch over everything, and its probably the same with AMA and SX.

|

3/6/2018 3:11 AM

All of this stuff about "adding legitimacy" seems like a nice way to say they don't do anything. They certainly don't do anything tangible or easily identifiable. If the exact same series was ran without the FIM, would anyone care? Would the title mean less to the fans or the champion? I've been watching this sport obsessively for close to 20 years and I'm not aware of any unique benefit that the FIM brings to justify their involvement. They seem like an extra, unneeded sanctioning body. It wouldn't make any sense in any other sport so why this one? Baseball calls their championship the "world" series with only one sanctioning body and nobody cares.

|

3/6/2018 5:03 AM

early wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

St Ann More wrote:

What would the AMA do that the FIM doesn't?

I believe the ama actually handles the rider payouts, sound testing and officiating

|

3/6/2018 5:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2018 5:13 AM

I do not remember Supercross being FIM until SX became a World Series by going to a foreign country.

Going to Canada made it happen.

|

3/6/2018 5:32 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

I do not remember Supercross being FIM until SX became a World Series by going to a foreign country.

Going to Canada made it happen.

I think you're right Lumpy,
|

3/6/2018 5:58 AM

Hey, I'm with a lot of you guys, I'm just telling you how it is.

When F1 sold out to Bernie, and Dingman sold out to, well, anyone that had the biggest check, they should have been fired In my opinion.

Like it or not, America is not a world power in motorcycle racing. We might buy most of the bikes.
And if you include China, India, Indonesia, we probably don't do that either.

On the world scale, we haven't won a World Championship Road Race Series, or World MotoCross Series,
or Enduro Series, or Trials Series, in quite some time.
|