What does Decoster have against James?

rcm406
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2012 4:43pm
I was reading RX bench racing about MXDN choices with Matthes and Weege and they kinda touch on it. I've seen in a couple of interviews with Decoster that he comes off as very negative toward James. Comments like he's up & down and RV is the only one I knew that would challange Dungey if he raced in the outdoors. Did he not see the 1st 2 races and he was on his way to another moto win when he crashed. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I don't think I've ever heard RD say anything positve about James. Just curious
|
Titan1
7/27/2012 11:22am
I think Roger and James simply have exact opposite racing strategies. Roger seems to favor a style like Dungey's....go fast, use patients, never force the issue, don't take risks, let the race (and passes) come to you....James is a all out, fast as he can go from the gate drop, force passes, take risks, etc.

I can see how Roger wouldn't appreciate a racing style like James'...though no doubt Roger can appreciate the talent that James has. Roger likes reliability...James has been anything but.
Xeno
7/27/2012 11:25am
James doesn't win championships for DeCoster- he takes championships from DeCoster.
dlhamblin
7/27/2012 11:30am
rcm406 wrote:
I was reading RX bench racing about MXDN choices with Matthes and Weege and they kinda touch on it. I've seen in a couple of interviews...
I was reading RX bench racing about MXDN choices with Matthes and Weege and they kinda touch on it. I've seen in a couple of interviews with Decoster that he comes off as very negative toward James. Comments like he's up & down and RV is the only one I knew that would challange Dungey if he raced in the outdoors. Did he not see the 1st 2 races and he was on his way to another moto win when he crashed. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I don't think I've ever heard RD say anything positve about James. Just curious
You kinda said it yourself, "...on his way to another moto win when he crashed". James is very fast and talented, but the last couple years seemed to get side tracked a bit and distracted; and it showed. It would have have been good to see how the season ended if he stayed healthy; whether he had his focus back.

If anything, more than bashing James I think Roger D was more saying the two Ryans are the ones most on their "A" game at this time.
Shawn142
7/27/2012 11:38am
Xeno wrote:
James doesn't win championships for DeCoster- he takes championships from DeCoster.
Been a while since that happen.

Roger is critical of his own guys too. His interviews about K-Roc and Musquin lately have not been all roses and smiles. But he respects a person that doesn't quit. While James will go down as maybe the fastest guy ever I think we've seen what happens when it comes down to sticking it out when you can't win.

The Shop

BobbyM
7/27/2012 11:40am
SX only...RD is oldschool foooos!
DanDunes818
7/27/2012 11:42am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 1:24pm
I think James' late-race crash and DNF at Donnington in 2008 gave Roger a heart attack, and he has not yet recovered from the mental anguish. Wink

Edit: James did not DNF. He ended up getting 23rd after kicking his Kawi for 10 min.
Hanaa80
7/27/2012 11:47am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 11:49am
That seems to bee Decoster's MO. He has his favourites and sticks behind them. When DMXS asked about the possibility of Osbourne ever getting on the team, you could hear the disgust in his voice (@26 minute mark).

Decoster on DMXS

But can't really argue against the man and his methods, they seem to be the winning formula.
7/27/2012 11:55am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 11:57am
james makes alot of mistakes and crashes alot- no point reading into it anymore than that!

de coster is team manager and has to pick a (reliable) team that he think can win- personally i think stewart would be very fast at lommel, but probably crash trying to stay with herlings- dungey would be able to accept 2nd place if he needed to. Him and RV are alot smarter than james (who has a crash or win mentality)

be interesting to see who gets picked if RV doesnt do a race or 2 before the end of the season- probably dungey/ barcia 450 and baggett 250? I think that would be harsh on alessi but still a great team
DavidR
7/27/2012 11:58am
You really don't know why Roger wouldn't want to select someone who hasn't raced an entire outdoor schedule since 2008 and up until this year when James has shown up to race outdoors during that time has had zero success? Match that with the fact that James crashed out during the 3rd race this year, missed some races, came back to go 6 -3 then was out again due to his wrist. Roger's managed and won a "couple" MXDN's so I think I'll trust his judgement on this one.
LoudLove
7/27/2012 11:59am
Maybe James isn't on Roger's "Dream Team" for a complete season, but for one race (and a sand race at that), you gotta go with Bubba. A little one-on-one time with Decoster might pay dividends for James, if he's willing to listen.

Dungey, plus a healthy James and Villopoto. Man, that's one stout line-up.
jeffro503
rcm406 wrote:
I was reading RX bench racing about MXDN choices with Matthes and Weege and they kinda touch on it. I've seen in a couple of interviews...
dlhamblin wrote:
You kinda said it yourself, "...on his way to another moto win when he crashed". James is very fast and talented, but the last couple years...
You kinda said it yourself, "...on his way to another moto win when he crashed". James is very fast and talented, but the last couple years seemed to get side tracked a bit and distracted; and it showed. It would have have been good to see how the season ended if he stayed healthy; whether he had his focus back.

If anything, more than bashing James I think Roger D was more saying the two Ryans are the ones most on their "A" game at this time.
Pretty much exactly this.

Everyone knows James is fast as heck when he's healthy and a threat to win any single event.......the question is....will he finish? You pretty much answered the question yourself without even realizing it........"He was on his way to winning 5 motos.....then he crashed". He was only on moto #5 out of 24 when the wreck happened.

For consistency you can't deny RD in anything....he is almost always a safe bet. Roger also knew what type of performance he was going to get out of Dungey in the long run.....he was only going to get stronger as the season went on.

There has only been a couple seasons in James' entire career where you could say he was " Consistent". All the other seasons where he crashed out or got injured out weighs the few good seasons he had.

Look at it from Roger's point of view.......to win MXoN.....you need fast and consistent riders.......Betting on James could pay off big time....OR.....he could wreck. You have to look at the history of the rider when they are under pressure.
sc961
Roger was a consistant riding champion.
Human nature is to surround yourself with like individuals.
History and results would say he's done a pretty good job.
jamma10
7/27/2012 12:01pm
I imagine his choice would be even harder if James, Villopoto and Dungey were all healthy and in good form.
jamma10
7/27/2012 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 12:03pm
LoudLove wrote:
Maybe James isn't on Roger's "Dream Team" for a complete season, but for one race (and a sand race at that), you gotta go with Bubba...
Maybe James isn't on Roger's "Dream Team" for a complete season, but for one race (and a sand race at that), you gotta go with Bubba. A little one-on-one time with Decoster might pay dividends for James, if he's willing to listen.

None of them are eligible for MX2 though. He could only pick two of them...

(edit: luckily for everyone else!)
jeffro503
7/27/2012 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 12:04pm
LoudLove wrote:
Maybe James isn't on Roger's "Dream Team" for a complete season, but for one race (and a sand race at that), you gotta go with Bubba...

Who would ride MX2?? You need a lites rider. Bagget , Tomac or Barcia for that spot.

A healthy RV is a no brainer....along with RD. So both those spots are gone.......you need an MX2 rider.

Thing is.....I don't think RV will be healthy enough to even try. So.....James may very well be a good pick for spot#2. I honestly think Alessi would be a good pick for the team......but I don't know if the team itself has the parts and resources.
LoudLove
7/27/2012 12:06pm
I was thinking Bubba on his PC KX125. Word!
Spartacus
7/27/2012 12:09pm
JS 7 has small hands and smells of soup......makes RD nervous.
racin mason
7/27/2012 12:18pm
Maybe Roger is still pissed at James for landing on Ricky a few years ago.
DanDunes818
7/27/2012 12:23pm
LoudLove wrote:

jamma10 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Dungey is only 22.
jimmie
7/27/2012 12:27pm
rcm406 wrote:
Huh?

Everything you just "quoted" Decoster to have said bout James happens to be the absolute truth. At least for this season anyways.

James has been "up and down", no? This is even true bout the last couple of seasons.

"RV is the only one I knew would challenge Dungey outdoors". The RV comment is mere speculation mine you but, James really had nothing for Dungey his last two out door races.

Nothing against James, he is an awesome racer, and when he's on it's no competition. But I see no hate for James in the statements he had made.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
7/27/2012 12:41pm
DavidR wrote:
You really don't know why Roger wouldn't want to select someone who hasn't raced an entire outdoor schedule since 2008 and up until this year when...
You really don't know why Roger wouldn't want to select someone who hasn't raced an entire outdoor schedule since 2008 and up until this year when James has shown up to race outdoors during that time has had zero success? Match that with the fact that James crashed out during the 3rd race this year, missed some races, came back to go 6 -3 then was out again due to his wrist. Roger's managed and won a "couple" MXDN's so I think I'll trust his judgement on this one.
x2. People are so fing stupid. Why would you want him on the team. Hell I'd take anyone in the top 15 over James.
DownSouth
7/27/2012 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 12:55pm
LoudLove wrote:

jamma10 wrote:

Google...google....google....correct. Dungey turns 23 in December after the MXDN. Born 12/4/1989.

Decoster should send the super team and leave the kids at home this year.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/27/2012 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2012 1:38pm
http://www.racerxonline.com/2012/07/27/bench-racing-ammo-pointcounterpo…

This is a good read about the MXDN.

I don't think Roger has anything against James, he has won the race twice with him. It could be that James seems to have a glass wrist now days, every crash his wrist is the thing that gets jacked up again. Durability could be more of the issue.
bents
Fantasy
710th
7/27/2012 1:41pm
BobbyM wrote:
SX only...RD is oldschool foooos!
Exactly. If he were to put an entire outdoor season together again I'm sure he would have made the grade. No mx, no mxon-pretty simple. And I don't think that just because the guy rides sand well you should take him if he hasn't raced in 3 months. I think RD has won enough at this event to put together what he believes is the best team for the event.
7/27/2012 1:41pm
James shouldn't even be a factor. with RV1 back riding him, RD and BB are the best choices
7/27/2012 1:56pm
It's the same thing everyone has against James. They just don't like what he's about.

When you ask a guy like Chad Reed about James, he'll say things like "amazing talent," but he'll say it somewhat begrudgingly. When you ask the same Chad Reed about RV or Dungey, he uses terms like "Great Guy" and "Real Racer." He considers his style to be the correct way to motocross, and if someone wrecks as much as Stewart does he must not be doing it right. I'm sure Reed respects Canard, but I would guess he's a little peeved that Trey has shown so much admiration for Bubba's speed and an apparent willingness to adopt his style.

Also: +1 Barcia.
7/27/2012 2:23pm
will James pull another Unadilla and show up expecting be announced as part of the team at intermission then pull off the 2nd Moto because he didn't get picked ???
jamma10
7/27/2012 2:44pm
jamma10 wrote:

DownSouth wrote:
Google...google....google....correct. Dungey turns 23 in December after the MXDN. Born 12/4/1989.

Decoster should send the super team and leave the kids at home this year.
Well there you are then, what a team that would be!
crf250pilot
7/27/2012 2:49pm
will James pull another Unadilla and show up expecting be announced as part of the team at intermission then pull off the 2nd Moto because he...
will James pull another Unadilla and show up expecting be announced as part of the team at intermission then pull off the 2nd Moto because he didn't get picked ???
Yes

Post a reply to: What does Decoster have against James?

The Latest