What do you wish you knew sooner?

toroP
1/31/2020 9:03pm
Find some whoop photos of James or Chad, then look up the term “hip hinge”.
Adam43
1/31/2020 10:21pm
Heavy feet, light hands

Starts are 70% of the race

You don't have to get ready if you stay ready

No one cares how you do

95% of what is marketed to you is irrelevant

Accidents happen, but it is largely as safe as you make it - ride with a safety margin
Patrick461
2/1/2020 5:33am
Take riding lessons. Set up suspension. Don’t spend a dime trying to make you bike faster. Learn to ride it properly

The Shop

motosmith
2/1/2020 5:57am
mikec265 wrote:
I see a lot of "grip with your legs" posts here. I could never figure it out until almost 20 years of riding. The magic words...
I see a lot of "grip with your legs" posts here. I could never figure it out until almost 20 years of riding. The magic words that finally helped me to grip with my legs were "point your toes in", it will automatically help you grip the bike. Thank you to Dungy and one of the Transworld skills videos for that.
I have never figured out how to grip with my legs. It's incredibly difficult in my opinion. My legs feel too close together if they're smashed against the side of the bike.
mikec265
2/1/2020 6:19am
mikec265 wrote:
I see a lot of "grip with your legs" posts here. I could never figure it out until almost 20 years of riding. The magic words...
I see a lot of "grip with your legs" posts here. I could never figure it out until almost 20 years of riding. The magic words that finally helped me to grip with my legs were "point your toes in", it will automatically help you grip the bike. Thank you to Dungy and one of the Transworld skills videos for that.
motosmith wrote:
I have never figured out how to grip with my legs. It's incredibly difficult in my opinion. My legs feel too close together if they're smashed...
I have never figured out how to grip with my legs. It's incredibly difficult in my opinion. My legs feel too close together if they're smashed against the side of the bike.
That's how I thought for years. Stand up off the bike with your feet pointing in the normal direction while trying to squeeze a pillow between your knees, and do a squat.

Then point your toes in and do the same thing. You should notice that as you squat your knees automatically pinch the pillow with little to no effort. Now try it next time you go riding.

Also a good set of knee protection can help make the bike feel less skinny, or at least it did for me.

I wish I could have figured this one thing out after a couple years of riding instead of a couple decades.
2/1/2020 7:00am
Two things...

1- Physical fitness- all throughout my MX racing days I worked out. I thought I was fit. Now I realise I wasn’t as fit as I thought I was. I’m fitter now than I was thirteen years ago.

2- Realise there is more to life than Moto- as much as I loved it and I wouldn’t have stopped earlier, I wish I’d taken more time to explore other sports. As mentioned above, it would’ve all been conducive to being fitter and a better MX rider anyway.
2/1/2020 7:56am
Not abusing the clutch as much and just keeping more momentum in turns in general
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
2/1/2020 9:35am
Treat every straight like the start straight, every lap
You're either on the gas or on the brakes, no "coasting" ever
Learn to find and use braking points, especially during gran prix's at the end of fast pavement sections
If you're not good at corners, learn how to spend as little time as possible in them ! LaughingLaughing
Rupert X
2/1/2020 9:47am
First year Nami 250’s require properly torqued sprocket bolts.
Rupert X
2/1/2020 9:48am
Should’ve got a chick mechanic from the get-go.
2/1/2020 9:52am
Get in shape, doesn’t matter what kind of suspension, trick parts, riding school, latest And greatest bike you have if you hit a wall 2 laps in
2/1/2020 11:04am
I wish I would of known that everytime I said “I’ll try for that class next year”. Shit always came up and I found myself always saying that. Just make time now no matter how old you are.
Detroit Dick
2/2/2020 10:08pm
peelout wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/31/401462/s1200_sprocketbolts.jpg[/img]

Peely never disappoints....

Post a reply to: What do you wish you knew sooner?

The Latest