What do you think about awarding Overall points via qualifiers?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2021 1:10 AM

It might make the racing more compelling for the qualifiers........instead of a start choice.

1st = 5
2nd = 4
etc

Basically, the first 2 hours of the broadcast are for a gate pick.

|

Sometimes, Gravity just sucks.

2/18/2021 1:29 AM

I think it will cause more injuries.. they opted for a point system in Qualifying in MXGP a few years back. But that didn't came through as the teams demanded to not do it

|

2/18/2021 1:30 AM

Just no.

|

2/18/2021 1:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2021 2:16 AM

It would result in bigger gaps in the point standings, which is not a good thing.

|

2/18/2021 2:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2021 2:02 AM

I was just thinking it would make the earlier racing more compelling.

I, personally, do not care about watching the "starting gate pick" races.

I tune in on the last hour and watch the mains. Pretty boring stuff.............except the LCQ's, They are my favorites when the TV coverage follows 4-5th place.

|

2/18/2021 5:49 AM

teggers wrote:

It might make the racing more compelling for the qualifiers........instead of a start choice.

1st = 5
2nd = 4
etc

...more

Tim, they tried this in 1985 and ended up scrapping it after four rounds, then they had to completely redo the points!

Here's Cycle News from that February, following the third and fourth rounds at Seattle.

Photo

DC
Racer X

|

2/18/2021 7:12 AM

nope

|

2/18/2021 7:35 AM

Bad idea they already almost crashing to go this fast for a gate pick they don’t need more pressure to be top qualifier. I think One point should be awarded to heat race winners!!!

|

Washed up mid pack B rider

2/18/2021 12:54 PM

supercross is pretty simple right now. Guy in first gets the most points. Start adding misc points and the guy on the top step of the podium doesnt leave with the most points, then he isnt the winner. Dont change it.

|

2/18/2021 1:23 PM

I fail to see any value in giving points out in the heats and LCQs. It’s all part of the process for the. Night show to earn points in the event. If the heats and LCQs don’t get you excited to watch the racing, then you really aren’t much of a race fan (and that’s ok, for example my wife isn’t much of a race fan but she is entertained by the main event racing). I get jacked up to watch qualifying practice. Shoot, I wish I could see the KTM jrs race. I don’t think anything should change unless we get more racing to watch.

|

2/19/2021 11:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2021 11:49 PM

teggers wrote:

1st = 5
2nd = 4
etc

...more

DC wrote:

Tim, they tried this in 1985 and ended up scrapping it after four rounds, then they had to completely redo the points!

Here's ...more

Thanks Davey

I understand the history you have shown.

It just seems like such a waste of time for the first 2 hours. I really time my schedule to miss the first 2 x hours except for the LCQ's.

There used to be race qualifiers.....now, nothing matters until the finals. There is no racing. -----except for the LCQ's. I am enjoying watching them.

After thinking about this for an hour........maybe there is Contingency money on the races that give the incentive to race to the finish of the 5 laps.....otherwise, no need to race for 2-3 gate picks.

You and I have done this. Gate pick 1 vs- gate pick 10 is very small.

|

2/20/2021 3:13 AM

While I agree that the first 2 hours of sx isn't very exciting i do think points should only be given out when the entire field is on the line.

|

2/20/2021 3:29 AM

SteveUrchin wrote:

Bad idea they already almost crashing to go this fast for a gate pick they don’t need more pressure to be top qualifier. I ...more

I have to agree. Quaili is chaotic enough. But I see no downside to awarding 1 point for the heat winners. It is called a heat "race".

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

2/20/2021 3:56 AM

Penalises guys who aren't great 1-lap dudes, and really, how often are they all on the same second. Bit of a lotto-effect also.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/20/2021 4:13 AM

Tim's intent is good and I see his point. All too often we see what appears to be just follow the leader in the qualis because it's just a game os "Stay up, don't crash, finish in top 9"

A lot of times. it doesn't seem like there is a lot of fighting going on, it's just a ride a long. If you have't actually noticed because you're so into moto, pay attention to the announcers. It's usually during the qualifiers they talk about everything but the race going on.

I would suggest purse money, but the main event purse doesn't even move the needle for the top guys.

There does need to be a way to spice up the qualifiers and try to get them to race a bit more during them.

|

Make sure you downvote!

2/20/2021 4:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2021 4:41 AM

This is why triple crown format is way better. All of the racing actually matters. Instead like you said right now 2/3 hours worth of racing is for gate pick.

And the gate picks aren’t even that important, as it’s not even close to a guarantee that a top 5 pick gets you a top 5 start, so it’s nearly irrelevant to be taking up 2/3 hours worth of the racing.

But the purists will defend its honor.

In Mx we don’t watch qualifying as part of the main show. We watch 2x 35 minute motos worth actual points, with all the top guys the whole time.

|

2/20/2021 6:17 AM

I liked the heat, semi, lcq, format.
Heat races were more intense.

|

2/20/2021 6:23 AM

Triple crown format with staggered starts based on your current points position would provide the best scenario for the top guys to always be up front battling. I get not wanting a staggered start as it is a less dramatic way to begin, but you would have to think that minutes 2-20 of the race would be better overall.

|

2/20/2021 6:57 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

Tim's intent is good and I see his point. All too often we see what appears to be just follow the leader in the qualis because ...more

Well said. Agree 100%

|

2/20/2021 7:49 AM

Motofinne wrote:

It would result in bigger gaps in the point standings, which is not a good thing.

The reason for that is because of the points difference 1st through 3rd, they need to change that. I think points for qualifying is a great idea more incentive for people to watch and more tv time for sponsors for something they already do.

|

2/20/2021 7:54 AM

If you want to try something new, try a reverse order grid for the heats.

Qualify 1st, get last gate pick in the first heat or at the very least 11th gate pick on whichever side of the starting box have the best gates/sight at the first turn.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/20/2021 8:09 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Qualify 1st, get last gate pick in the first heat ...more

Lol...they'd all be going so slow the bikes would fall over.silly

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

2/20/2021 8:12 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I don’t like that at all. So now not only is gate pick racing still a part of the night show it’s now a bit of a circus because people will be sand bagging.

|

2/20/2021 8:17 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

I don’t like that at all. So now not only is gate pick racing still a part of the night show it’s now a bit of a circus ...more

Works perfectly fine in snocross and they have 2 rows.

|

2/20/2021 8:33 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

I don’t like that at all. So now not only is gate pick racing still a part of the night show it’s now a bit of a circus ...more

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Works perfectly fine in snocross and they have 2 rows.

I’d much prefer a staggered starter implemented into sx. Maybe by groups of 5 or 7. So the top 5 or so have a good chance to start together and get the battles we deserve.

Like a 2-3 foot stagger by groups of 7. Make the importance of qualifying actually mean something and allow the top guys to actually start together.

|

2/20/2021 8:57 AM

I think having a gate similar to MXGP would be good. Really make it so the fastest guys are up front together early instead of the entire race being over in the first 100 feet. Also, how many times have we seen great racing after a staggered start red flag when everyone is shuffled up to the front? Bonus points, eh maybe a fastest lap of the main, or most laps lead kind of thing? I think we all agree the program is somewhat stale and could use a change in some sort.

|

2/20/2021 9:13 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Tried that at the 1985 Rodil Cup at the Los Angeles Coliseum. It led to many top riders sand-bagging the heat races to start in the front row. It infuriated Ricky Johnson, who went to the microphone and berated the other riders over the PA system! Watch it right here:

DC
Racer X
|

2/20/2021 9:14 AM

teggers wrote:

1st = 5
2nd = 4
etc

...more

I'll give heat winners 1 point and that's about it

|

2/20/2021 9:21 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

DC wrote:

Tried that at the 1985 Rodil Cup at the Los Angeles Coliseum. It led to many top riders sand-bagging the heat races to start ...more

Before my time, but that speech was awesome.

|

2/20/2021 9:36 AM

teggers wrote:

1st = 5
2nd = 4
etc

...more

DC wrote:

Here's ...more

teggers wrote:

Thanks Davey

I understand the history you have shown.

It just seems like such a waste of time for the first 2 hours. I ...more

Good points. And I went back and looked and they were rewarding three points for a heat win from at least 1980 to 1985 when they went to a two-10-lap mains format. That didn't work out either and it was scrapped after one year. The first race of 1986--the epic Anaheim battle between RJ and David--cemented the one 20-lap main event format (at least until they tried the "triple crowns" recently...

DC
Racer X

|