What do you do to a brand new bike before riding?

Joko
Fantasy
233rd
5/1/2022 10:03pm
Magnetic oil drain plug
5/3/2022 4:44am
I check the airfilter. Usually not enuf oil on it. And I Grease the lip. Adjust chain if needed . Check axel nuts. Torque triple clamp...
I check the airfilter. Usually not enuf oil on it. And I Grease the lip. Adjust chain if needed . Check axel nuts. Torque triple clamp bolts. Check bar clamp bolts. I have never greased linkage or steer stem bearings on a new bike. I do that after our 8 month season. Knock on wood my bikes have always been greased well from the factory. Oh ya set sag and clickers.
Kkawi wrote:
Thanks for the info! You trust the oil and quantity that the dealer puts in? Or is that done at the factory?
That is done at the factory. I watched them build motocross bikes at the Yamaha factory in Hamamatsu. The final step of the assembly line is to put the bike on a dyno drum and start it, them hold it WFO while shifting up through the gears to make sure everything was put together right. This is why I think it is silly when I hear about people “breaking in” a bike. Trust me, it has already been broken in for you. Then they suck the gas out of the tank, take the front wheel and bars off and put it in a crate. The coolant and oil are both left in the bike.
I personally lube all suspension pivots and the headset bearings. I loosen and retorque all motor and suspension mounts. Not before I ride it, but when I change tires for the first time I remove the spokes nipples one at a time and smear a little anti seize one each spoke before retorquing the nipple as I’ve had nipples seize on the spokes before.
Sandusky26
5/3/2022 4:52am
That is done at the factory. I watched them build motocross bikes at the Yamaha factory in Hamamatsu. The final step of the assembly line is...
That is done at the factory. I watched them build motocross bikes at the Yamaha factory in Hamamatsu. The final step of the assembly line is to put the bike on a dyno drum and start it, them hold it WFO while shifting up through the gears to make sure everything was put together right. This is why I think it is silly when I hear about people “breaking in” a bike. Trust me, it has already been broken in for you. Then they suck the gas out of the tank, take the front wheel and bars off and put it in a crate. The coolant and oil are both left in the bike.
I personally lube all suspension pivots and the headset bearings. I loosen and retorque all motor and suspension mounts. Not before I ride it, but when I change tires for the first time I remove the spokes nipples one at a time and smear a little anti seize one each spoke before retorquing the nipple as I’ve had nipples seize on the spokes before.
I've always wondered if it's worth it to put anti seize on the spoke threads. I ride in a lot of sand and don't know if the sand mixed with anti seize is worse than no anti seize.

The Shop

5/3/2022 12:45pm
Before laying a hand on it, put it in a favorite location and take lots of pictures. Dirt bikes look especially nice when they are brand new, and, thanks to all the plastics and soft surfaces, are notorious for looking beat up when they are even a little used. The pix give you a record of what it should look like down the road, and remind you of where all those dollars went in the meantime.

Here's my '88 CR500 in shinier days:

MPJC
Fantasy
704th
5/3/2022 12:56pm
Buy a TM from a dealer that knows what he's doing and just ride it!
spimx
5/3/2022 2:35pm
Some people go over every nut and bolt and lube the swingarm and linkage bearings. Those people are retired vet riders. I go over as much as possible after my site laps, tire/ suspension air pressure, axle/ triple clamp nuts and bolts.
Zycki11
5/3/2022 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2022 2:56pm
Lather it in oil like it has a bikini. Get in all the nooks and crevices. Then ride it like I stole it.
ktm 125
5/3/2022 2:56pm
I let it wait for me 5-10 years so i can afford it
murph783
5/4/2022 4:01pm
I check the airfilter. Usually not enuf oil on it. And I Grease the lip. Adjust chain if needed . Check axel nuts. Torque triple clamp...
I check the airfilter. Usually not enuf oil on it. And I Grease the lip. Adjust chain if needed . Check axel nuts. Torque triple clamp bolts. Check bar clamp bolts. I have never greased linkage or steer stem bearings on a new bike. I do that after our 8 month season. Knock on wood my bikes have always been greased well from the factory. Oh ya set sag and clickers.
Kkawi wrote:
Thanks for the info! You trust the oil and quantity that the dealer puts in? Or is that done at the factory?
That is done at the factory. I watched them build motocross bikes at the Yamaha factory in Hamamatsu. The final step of the assembly line is...
Oh that’s actually a really good idea with the spoke nipples, I never thought of that. But yes, that thing started it’s life WFO on the dyno, it can live it’s life that way too.
Titan1
5/4/2022 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2022 4:21pm
Before riding a new bike for the first time, all I do is start it.

Never had an issue and Ive never seen a “need” to tear the thing apart and reassemble it (I know some guys like doing that, so more power to you).

For the first few rides, I’ll go around and check the bolts to make sure none have come loose…and then it’s regular preventative maintenance…

I’ve bought new bikes, put 80-100 hours on them and sold them….and never greased a bearing, lubed a chain, touched a spoke or taken the plastic off…we weekend warriors just aren’t that hard on bikes for the work so many people do on them. (And I hate working on bikes).
BAD10
5/4/2022 4:54pm
Kkawi wrote:
Just picked up a 22 YZ250F yesterday, I still gotta get a new helmet before I ride so I'm not going out today unfortunately. Just wondering...
Just picked up a 22 YZ250F yesterday, I still gotta get a new helmet before I ride so I'm not going out today unfortunately. Just wondering what all do you check on a new bike when you get one from the dealer?

It looks like the air filter has no oil on it, if not just a small amount. My plan was to put a twin air filter in, change the oil (I don't trust dealers) and check all bolts, and spokes.

I know usually the pivot points don't have a lot of grease on them if any so I was gonna grease the shock linkage, axles, steering stem, and swing arm.

Unless that is overkill? And I just wanted to know what else I should be doing to keep this bike in the best race shape I can.
Put gas in it...........Whistling
bvm111
5/4/2022 6:18pm
I sit on it on the stand, blip the throttle and make brap brap brap noises with a child like smile on my face …. come on I know i’m not the only one!
ktmdan
5/4/2022 6:44pm
First thing you should do is test out the rev limiter. Need to make sure it works properly. Put some good 87 octane in her and ring it out for a few minutes.
sandman768
5/4/2022 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2022 7:22pm
I used to tear them down & grease them up, but seems like the manufactures have improved in this area. I wait until 10-20 hrs now, when I get suspension serviced for the first time, I grease everything. I do anti seize the chain adjuster bolts into the swingarm, had a new bike one time that the bolts seized into the aluminum arm, sucked to be drilling that bolt out on a newer bike….I replace chains with better quality or oring chains. My preferred bar bend. Install skid plate. Put a socket or wrench on just about every nut & bolt. Check sag. Check air filter for proper oiling. Ride it… take it kind of easy for the first couple motos, then it’s ready to be ridden hard. I change oil & filter after the first hr…
wildbill
5/4/2022 7:35pm
Before laying a hand on it, put it in a favorite location and take lots of pictures. Dirt bikes look especially nice when they are brand...
Before laying a hand on it, put it in a favorite location and take lots of pictures. Dirt bikes look especially nice when they are brand new, and, thanks to all the plastics and soft surfaces, are notorious for looking beat up when they are even a little used. The pix give you a record of what it should look like down the road, and remind you of where all those dollars went in the meantime.

Here's my '88 CR500 in shinier days:

Sweet 88. My 89 was brutal in the whoops.
5/5/2022 4:40am
sandman768 wrote:
I used to tear them down & grease them up, but seems like the manufactures have improved in this area. I wait until 10-20 hrs now...
I used to tear them down & grease them up, but seems like the manufactures have improved in this area. I wait until 10-20 hrs now, when I get suspension serviced for the first time, I grease everything. I do anti seize the chain adjuster bolts into the swingarm, had a new bike one time that the bolts seized into the aluminum arm, sucked to be drilling that bolt out on a newer bike….I replace chains with better quality or oring chains. My preferred bar bend. Install skid plate. Put a socket or wrench on just about every nut & bolt. Check sag. Check air filter for proper oiling. Ride it… take it kind of easy for the first couple motos, then it’s ready to be ridden hard. I change oil & filter after the first hr…
The anti seize on the the chain adjuster bolts is a must do. I forgot about that when I put my list together. I had to drill a bolt out once, too. Never again.
5/5/2022 4:44am
Service all linkage with quality waterproof grease
Ant seize chain adjuster bolts
Service headset bearings with waterproof grease
Teflon tape clutch perch and front brake lever
Twinair oiled filter
Even out clickers
Service swingarm bearings with waterproof grease
Graphics
Full The Trigger !!!!!!!!!
BikePilot
5/5/2022 4:51am
I grease everything, antiseize or loctite most bolts, set it all up, and if it's an Austrian two stroke I tear the top end down to set x and z dimensions correctly as the factory seems to skip this.
mxtech1
5/5/2022 6:24am
At a minimum any owner of a new bike should:

Check the air filter
Check fluid levels
Set bar & lever positions
Check tire pressure
Verify no obviously loose hardware

before going for that first ride.

Other than that, just ride the darn thing, & follow the owner's manual for maintenance & inspection schedules!
captmoto
5/5/2022 7:40am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2022 7:41am
Check fluids, air filter and ride it. After that first ride is when I pull it down to check lube points and definitely anti-seize the chain adjusters. You only have to do that job once to become a believer.
In 17 I bought a Husky FC450. It rained for almost a month so I did go ahead and tear it down to lube etc. I also sent the suspension off to Race Tech. On my Japanese bikes I would change springs almost immediately due to being a XXL guy, with a revalve coming a little later.
Zycki11
5/5/2022 11:28am
sandman768 wrote:
I used to tear them down & grease them up, but seems like the manufactures have improved in this area. I wait until 10-20 hrs now...
The anti seize on the the chain adjuster bolts is a must do. I forgot about that when I put my list together. I had to...
The anti seize on the the chain adjuster bolts is a must do. I forgot about that when I put my list together. I had to drill a bolt out once, too. Never again.
Oh man I have as well and what a pain in the ass.
Timo
5/5/2022 11:54am
My last 3 bikes I've checked the oil, put gas in it, and went riding. I just took apart a 30 year old CBR600F2's linkage, and that small amount of grease the factory puts on has lasted 21,000 miles and 30 years so seems good to me! Some people just like it when grease is getting pushed out of the seals, and air filters are dripping oil out of the air box...
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
5/5/2022 11:41pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Disassemble it down to every nut and bolt , put it back together and go ride .
That made me laugh!
Make sure bolts are tight, then go ride it!
viking174
Fantasy
2164th
5/6/2022 1:15am
Better question is what do I not change. The frame and swing arm stay the same. Everything else gets replaced or modified somehow.
5/6/2022 1:40am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2022 1:41am
It's been a while for me. But I'd tell my dad to dial it in and go get high with my girl and go to Chili's. Then go break that bitch (bike) in on Saturday trail riding at 3/4 throttle at Carnegie with my Dad. Sunday morning take it to Club Moto, then go chill on a boat in the delta. 2 strokes were awesome and life used to be so simple.
cesar_rc4
5/6/2022 1:45am
Put enpugh gas in the tank for the dayLaughing

Jokes aside, check bolts, axle nuts, bar clamp and triple clamps.
Oil the filter if its neccesary and enjoy the emotions of riding the new toy

Post a reply to: What do you do to a brand new bike before riding?

The Latest