What do washed up, home schooled pros do...

huck
2/4/2009 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:27pm
when they realize that being "pretty fast" on a motorcycle won't carry them through life?

Seriously, think about how many "next big things" there are that don't make it in MX. What could they possibly have to fall back on?

|
Motodrew295
2/4/2009 4:59pm
Put on ridin skools, promote races Wink get a job with daddys company.
Motodrew295
2/4/2009 5:00pm
Oh yeah forgot work the parts counter at their dealer
maguire
2/4/2009 5:02pm
I think motodrew covered it all basically
ocscottie
2/4/2009 5:03pm
but he left out pounding nails, but that was much more common in the past than it is now.

The Shop

2/4/2009 5:06pm
well i wasn't quite at pro status but i decided to go to school, im hoping they do the same, $7.15 cant do shit for yourself........
redrider111
2/4/2009 5:26pm
At least Justin Brayton went to a real high school and still raced a pretty good amateur career. I have a bigger respect for him than most of the other riders. AMA needs to crack down on this whole home school thing. Make them take a certain kind of test, like a high school exit exam before they can attain a license. just an idea.
R-acer
2/4/2009 5:28pm
huck wrote:
when they realize that being "pretty fast" on a motorcycle won't carry them through life? Seriously, think about how many "next big things" there are that...
when they realize that being "pretty fast" on a motorcycle won't carry them through life?

Seriously, think about how many "next big things" there are that don't make it in MX. What could they possibly have to fall back on?

nascar Tongue
huck
2/4/2009 5:34pm
huck wrote:
when they realize that being "pretty fast" on a motorcycle won't carry them through life? Seriously, think about how many "next big things" there are that...

R-acer wrote:
nascar Tongue
Don't you have some balls to cradle somewhere?

jib-tmb
2/4/2009 5:38pm
Trade school would be an option.
KBehlingMX
2/4/2009 5:41pm
Find a large cliff, and just dive...
CR500Rider
2/4/2009 5:50pm
huck wrote:

R-acer wrote:
nascar Tongue
If only SX and MX were half as big as NASCAR.
mx295
2/4/2009 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2009 6:17pm
alot do mx schools and become fire fighters.. least the ones i know have.. im just sayin
Uncleof2
2/4/2009 6:17pm
A few of them also live on there millions they made from the sacrifice they and their
parents made to realize the gift that they were given. I don't know for sure but, I'm sure
that the same drive that allowed them to be Pro Racers helped them succeed in life.
Just because you don't go through the idiotic public school system doesn't mean you
won't succeed in life. There are plenty of College grads working at McDonalds and
Home Depot.
WhKnuckle
2/4/2009 6:28pm
One would hope that a rider in that position would wake up one day, walk past the foreclosure sign in the front yard to get the newspaper, go inside, call everyone he knows in the sport and beg for a ride in the MX2 class of the GP circuit, go over there where he doesn't know a soul, ride his ass off and become a good citizen, come back to America and win a (nother) title. But probably not.
Larry
2/4/2009 6:39pm
Getting a job at Daddy's company is a pretty good gig ain't it Huck.
huck
2/4/2009 6:46pm
Larry wrote:
Works for me...
Larry
2/4/2009 6:48pm
Larry wrote:
huck wrote:
Works for me...
X1 beats workin for a livin.
jmar
2/4/2009 6:49pm
My son runs the service department for a fire protection company. His work ethic is second to none and it has allowed him to climb the ladder at a much faster pace than normal. He is continuing his education in the evenings and makes over 70,000 a year which is a good salary in a state like Oklahoma where the cost of living is so low.

Why all the bag on the riders stuff?
huck
2/4/2009 6:50pm
Larry wrote:
huck wrote:
Works for me...
Larry wrote:
X1 beats workin for a livin.
You couldn't handle doing what I do.

huck
2/4/2009 6:52pm
jmar wrote:
My son runs the service department for a fire protection company. His work ethic is second to none and it has allowed him to climb the...
My son runs the service department for a fire protection company. His work ethic is second to none and it has allowed him to climb the ladder at a much faster pace than normal. He is continuing his education in the evenings and makes over 70,000 a year which is a good salary in a state like Oklahoma where the cost of living is so low.

Not bagging...just wondering what a lot of them are doing...

Their parents thought they were going to be the golden ticket, and mortgaged the house on them. It's really sad and pathetic in the same way...

Larry
2/4/2009 6:54pm
huck wrote:
You couldn't handle doing what I do.

I couldn't handle doing anything in Ark.
2/4/2009 6:55pm
There's always community college. If you picked up a GED at one point or another, most of them will take you, and they offer remedial math and english. Blink
jmar
2/4/2009 7:02pm
jmar wrote:
My son runs the service department for a fire protection company. His work ethic is second to none and it has allowed him to climb the...

huck wrote:
Not bagging...just wondering what a lot of them are doing... Their parents thought they were going to be the golden ticket, and mortgaged the house on...

Their parents thought they were going to be the golden ticket, and mortgaged the house on them. It's really sad and pathetic in the same way...

[b]Their parents thought they were going to be the golden ticket, and mortgaged the house on them. It's really sad and pathetic in the same way... [/b

You seem to really have a bur in your saddle when it comes to the top amateur riders.
BobbyM
2/4/2009 7:03pm
huck wrote:

no shit...they could end up being a jackhole on a mx forum like you...wow.
WhKnuckle
2/4/2009 7:06pm
jmar wrote:

huck wrote:
Not bagging...just wondering what a lot of them are doing... Their parents thought they were going to be the golden ticket, and mortgaged the house on...

jmar wrote:
[b]Their parents thought they were going to be the golden ticket, and mortgaged the house on them. It's really sad and pathetic in the same way...
[b]Their parents thought they were going to be the golden ticket, and mortgaged the house on them. It's really sad and pathetic in the same way... [/b

You seem to really have a bur in your saddle when it comes to the top amateur riders.
Character makes all the difference. In some cases, that's good and in some cases that's unfortunate. Your son seems to have the character to make life work out even if he gets tough breaks. Some other guys have a way to fail even when they get everything handed to them.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/4/2009 7:08pm
"Would you like fries with that order?" is only seven words...
2/4/2009 7:08pm
It's entirely possible to get a solid education while going the home school route. Hopefully their parents realized that even if they do make it big as a racer a solid educational foundation will help them take the money they earn as a racer, and set themselves up for life. Even if you are a pro, unless your a very top level rider, you still have to earn a living after racing.
jmar
2/4/2009 7:17pm
GuyB wrote:
"Would you like fries with that order?" is only seven words...
Wouldn't have expected to hear that from you.
sharkey
2/4/2009 7:28pm
sad reality is most pros are just living out there dream which is fine, i was never good enough to get that far . what do you think a privateer makes? is it even 30k a year. it sucks some guy in the nfl thats on the bench makes 300k a year and no one gets the league min anymore. what are there 50 teams with 60 guys on each roster and thats just 1 sport. mx is a brutal sport in many ways but we all still go for it

Post a reply to: What do washed up, home schooled pros do...

The Latest