What changed moto more Nac Nac or the Scrub?

Big Lenny
9/13/2022 1:53pm
JK BRO wrote:
Scrubbing was before JS.

I'm all for the nac nac.

Park Boys wrote:
Sometimes old guys say they were scrubbing in the 80s. Some of the most absurd shit ever said. They would whip it big difference between whipping...
Sometimes old guys say they were scrubbing in the 80s. Some of the most absurd shit ever said. They would whip it big difference between whipping and scrubbing.
All the 80's guys did it yet there is only one picture in existence of a guy, Keller, staying low over a jump. Was photographing mx...
All the 80's guys did it yet there is only one picture in existence of a guy, Keller, staying low over a jump. Was photographing mx not a thing in the 80's?
Or a video camera?...Laughing
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
9/13/2022 2:13pm
Sandusky26 wrote:
Take trajectory out of the equation and the person who scrubs leaves the jump face at a slower speed than the person who doesn't scrub.
ToolMaker wrote:
I think your understanding of what's happening is a bit off. When you "scrub" the intent is, it allows you to go faster. Everything flying through...
I think your understanding of what's happening is a bit off.
When you "scrub" the intent is, it allows you to go faster.
Everything flying through the air travels in a shape called a parabola. It's just where in the parabola you are that changes. By absorbing the upward momentum, to need
more speed to travel the same horizontal distance.
More speed keeps you in the upper part of the parabola.
So you have 2 things in your favor, you're going faster and traveling less distance. Long story short, a well executed scrub allows you to blow past your competitor that isn't scrubbing.
TM
Sandusky26 wrote:
Some people call it scrubbing speed.
I see what you mean Sandusky, but is that really what's happening? Or are they simply trying not to jump too far down a hill, like in the Broc Glover video above? In that case, he's scrubbing to avoid jumping to the bottom of the hill. The fact that his technique prevents him from overjumping to the bottom is not because he's scrubbing speed, it's because he's lowering his trajectory so he can maintain speed.
quadmx301
Fantasy
2954th
9/13/2022 2:28pm
Think of it this way. McGrath was the first to get the bike sideways in the mainstream platform. Without that, we don’t have the scrub IMO.
Big Lenny
9/13/2022 2:45pm
quadmx301 wrote:
Think of it this way. McGrath was the first to get the bike sideways in the mainstream platform. Without that, we don’t have the scrub IMO.
No he wasn't...Dry

The Shop

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
9/13/2022 3:06pm
quadmx301 wrote:
Huh?
TM
Big Lenny
9/13/2022 3:27pm
Big Lenny wrote:
So you saw JoJo scrub?...Laughing
Searights wrote:
So you’re saying it was photoshopped?Grinning
I didn't s shit..Did you see it or not liar?...Laughing

McG194
9/13/2022 3:28pm
One is show and the other go.
Why do people insist on showing they don't understand a question?

The post was about what changed "Moto" the most, not what makes you faster.

I specifically used the term moto because it is a catch all for everything to do with dirt bikes not just racing. What changed moto more, something that created an entire new form of the sport and drew countless eyeballs to the sport or something that saved a second a lap?
Searights
9/13/2022 3:33pm
quadmx301 wrote:
Even though he was after McGrath, This guy got it pretty sideways too.

Big Lenny
9/13/2022 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 3:37pm
Searights wrote:
I didn’t say I saw it! Lol 😂

Then how can you testify that he invented it liar? Don't you feel stupid?.....Laughing
Sandusky26
9/13/2022 4:06pm
ToolMaker wrote:
I think your understanding of what's happening is a bit off. When you "scrub" the intent is, it allows you to go faster. Everything flying through...
I think your understanding of what's happening is a bit off.
When you "scrub" the intent is, it allows you to go faster.
Everything flying through the air travels in a shape called a parabola. It's just where in the parabola you are that changes. By absorbing the upward momentum, to need
more speed to travel the same horizontal distance.
More speed keeps you in the upper part of the parabola.
So you have 2 things in your favor, you're going faster and traveling less distance. Long story short, a well executed scrub allows you to blow past your competitor that isn't scrubbing.
TM
Sandusky26 wrote:
ToolMaker wrote:
OK, I'm all ears. Please explain to me why when you're in a race, you want to use a technique that will slow you down, and...
OK, I'm all ears.
Please explain to me why when you're in a race, you want to use a technique that will slow you down,
and let your competitors pass you. Please explain the function, the objective, and the motive.
TM
If one guy carries more speed through a section and scrubs the jump to land in the correct spot vs. the person who doesn’t carry enough speed and doesn’t scrub but lands in the correct spot.

Searights
9/13/2022 4:06pm
JoJo did it before your obsession did it, tubs! Lmao😂😂

#suckitGrinningGrinning
Big Lenny
9/13/2022 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 4:21pm
Searights wrote:
JoJo did it before your obsession did it, tubs! Lmao😂😂

#suckitGrinningGrinning
Did what?...Did you see it?..Laughing
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
9/13/2022 4:23pm
Sandusky26 wrote:
ToolMaker wrote:
OK, I'm all ears. Please explain to me why when you're in a race, you want to use a technique that will slow you down, and...
OK, I'm all ears.
Please explain to me why when you're in a race, you want to use a technique that will slow you down,
and let your competitors pass you. Please explain the function, the objective, and the motive.
TM
Sandusky26 wrote:
If one guy carries more speed through a section and scrubs the jump to land in the correct spot vs. the person who doesn’t carry enough...
If one guy carries more speed through a section and scrubs the jump to land in the correct spot vs. the person who doesn’t carry enough speed and doesn’t scrub but lands in the correct spot.

So you're saying someone who slows down on the face of a jump is scrubbing the jump?
So your definition of "scrubbing" is hitting the brakes on the face of the jump?
Or where and how are you saying they are reducing their speed?
TM
ACBailey89
Fantasy
2563rd
9/13/2022 4:23pm
To be fair is freestyle considered motocross? More like an offshoot if ya ask me. If your asking what changed motocross more than the scrub. If your saying motorcycle industry then the nac nac.
Searights
9/13/2022 4:28pm
Big Lenny wrote:
It’s like arguing with a mental midget. You’re the reason we have warning labels.GrinningGrinning

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/13/2022 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 4:53pm
McG194 wrote:
Why do people insist on showing they don't understand a question? The post was about what changed "Moto" the most, not what makes you faster. I...

I specifically used the term moto because it is a catch all for everything to do with dirt bikes not just racing. What changed moto more, something that created an entire new form of the sport and drew countless eyeballs to the sport or something that saved a second a lap?
Well, you're reading a lot more in to my comment than was intended, and it seems like the comment respects the call the question with complete neutrality.

And a reasonable reader can comprehend that "moto" means how racers race. It's on the author to more clear if the intent is the question be that confined. The reader is not at fault for the author's lack of clarity.

A problem with your question is that you are conflating the nac nac with MC's transcendent presence and influence, which is broader and deeper than that one trick. And the nac-nac didn't change the nature of racing like MC's other techniques. MC the superstar was what put more eyeballs on the sport. The nac-nac is just a heel clicker without MC.
jonesaustin
9/13/2022 4:51pm
ML512 wrote:
Nac-Nac, no comparison in my opinion. It started a sub-culture that during the TP / X Games prime was probably reaching a wider audience than racing...
Nac-Nac, no comparison in my opinion. It started a sub-culture that during the TP / X Games prime was probably reaching a wider audience than racing was...
very much agree
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/13/2022 5:08pm
ML512 wrote:
Nac-Nac, no comparison in my opinion. It started a sub-culture that during the TP / X Games prime was probably reaching a wider audience than racing...
Nac-Nac, no comparison in my opinion. It started a sub-culture that during the TP / X Games prime was probably reaching a wider audience than racing was...
Seems like it was more a product of that sub-culture than the creator of it, at least by the vids at the time, but certainly MC elevated that sub culture's profile.

Should the poll include Travis backflipping? Because Travis surely put more eyes on the sport than MC, and certainly more than Stew or RC, if we're just talking what got attention.
JustMX
9/13/2022 5:23pm
McG194 wrote:
Why do people insist on showing they don't understand a question? The post was about what changed "Moto" the most, not what makes you faster. I...

There are a lot of us that really wished they had called "freestyle motocross" something else so that when people found out that we raced "motocross" the next question wouldn't have been about what tricks we could do.

So, no, not everybody thinks fmx is "moto" anymore than figure skating is "freestyle hockey"

Now go ahead and scold me because I didn't understand the question, which you apparently posted just so you could talk to people like they are stupid just because you posted a question without much merit.

You can do better.
Big Lenny
9/13/2022 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 5:29pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Searights wrote:
It’s like arguing with a mental midget. You’re the reason we have warning labels.GrinningGrinning

You're just mad cause I caught you in a dumbass lie Seagull...Laughing
JustMX
9/13/2022 5:35pm
Big Lenny wrote:
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You have been caught in a lie as well, sir....

You aren't "big" Lenny anymore
Big Lenny
9/13/2022 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 5:55pm
Big Lenny wrote:
JustMX wrote:
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You have been caught in a lie as well, sir....

You aren't "big" Lenny anymore
I never lie tell me what I lied about liar...Oh let me guess..When I found 2 new open class bikes in the alley covered up or when me and Huck bet $2,000 on a SX series that I was already points behind with a couple races left?..I'm sure your panties were in a twist behind both of those...Dry
Searights
9/13/2022 6:02pm
Big Lenny wrote:
What ‘lie’ was that? That people probably wonder who ties your shoes for you in the morning? That’s not a lie!GrinningGrinning

Post a reply to: What changed moto more Nac Nac or the Scrub?

The Latest