What brand adjustable lift stands should I buy?

wfo4ever
Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 3:12am
I am 55 years old, but my carcass feels like I am 98 years old after 50 years of riding and racing. I am tired of picking up my dirt bikes to put on regular MX style stands. I am using aluminum stands and MSR Bike Crates w/plywood on top now for all of my bikes. I have used these type stands for many years. But now I need to buy some good quality affordable lift stands that you can just slide under most bikes and push down on a foot pedal or something similar to lift the motorcycle up off the ground. The stands would need to be adjustable for different heights as I own a lot of motorcycles from minis, vintage, dual purpose, trail, and 125 to 500 MX bikes all with different ground clearances. I have seen a few stands that have caster wheels so you can roll your bike around in your shop or garage. I would need some lift stands for the track and riding areas and maybe a few lift stands with wheels for the shop would be nice too. I don't want anything too large that gets in the of working on the bikes, I have seem a few motorcycle/ATV lift stands like that. I do not want to spend a fortune, but do not want to buy cheap stands that are junk and don't work after a short time. The stands would also need to be able to hold bikes up in my shop for long periods of time also. I am fortunate to have a nice collection of motorcycles. I would really appreciate any advice and opinions from Vital MX forum members on what they use and recommend. Thank you.
|
tmauto769
Fantasy
1135th
3/18/2018 4:24pm
I have been using a gorilla branded one for years, it has been great. The one above looks like it would work well too though.
resetjet
3/18/2018 6:00pm
I have the harbor freight one, i wouldnt call it good quality but it works and is adjustable.

The Shop

kkawboy14
3/18/2018 6:44pm
The day I can’t put my bike on a stand, is the day I quit riding! But I feel your pain!
captmoto
3/18/2018 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 8:06pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
The day I can’t put my bike on a stand, is the day I quit riding! But I feel your pain!
Well if it wasn't for a lift stand my blown out back, shredded shoulders, burned out knee would have put me on the bench 5 years ago. The lift stand and electric start might keep me going until I'm 70.
crc245
3/18/2018 8:15pm

Made in the US, light enough for going in and out of your moto rig (unlike those cheap, red, heavy, steel Harbor Freight imports), never rusts, and good people to top it off! https://acracing.com/
wfo4ever
3/18/2018 11:41pm
crc245 wrote:
[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://s13.postimg.org/9700ppszb/ac_high_liftstand_big.jpg[/img][/url] Made in the US, light enough for going in and out of your moto rig (unlike those cheap, red, heavy, steel Harbor Freight imports), never...

Made in the US, light enough for going in and out of your moto rig (unlike those cheap, red, heavy, steel Harbor Freight imports), never rusts, and good people to top it off! https://acracing.com/
Thank you. I will check that one out for sure. That is the type stand I am looking for.
Canoe589
3/19/2018 5:20am
I bought the Tusk Brand Steel Lift Stand from RM. Works awesome and is adjustable. I drilled holes in the feet and mounted four rubber wheeled casters. Works awesome and makes it easy to move bike around in the garage. Stand was around $50. I've had it close to 10 years now.
Keith72
3/19/2018 6:27am
Keith72 wrote:
captmoto wrote:
I got one. I don't like it. The pad won't stay locked and it is wobbly as hell. I welded it all in place but it...
I got one. I don't like it. The pad won't stay locked and it is wobbly as hell. I welded it all in place but it is still looser than I like.
Mines been really solid. I hit the lock ring with a rubber mallet and it doesn't move. I also have the harbor freight lift which is ok. And if someone stole it I wouldn't be as mad. The Motorsport one stays in the garage.
Keith72
3/19/2018 6:28am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Really? This is a great idea.
kkawboy14
3/19/2018 7:23am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 7:23am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Keith72 wrote:
Really? This is a great idea.
You tired of me making you look slow?

I would just hook a strap to my bike from the Trailor or truck if I couldn’t lift it. But I understand what was being started in this thread. In the last 5 years I have had open heart surgery, a heart failure and 3 Ablation surgery’s, I’m still using the bike stand as a personal challenge
wfo4ever
3/19/2018 10:40am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2018 10:41am
kkawboy14 wrote:
You tired of me making you look slow? I would just hook a strap to my bike from the Trailor or truck if I couldn’t lift...
You tired of me making you look slow?

I would just hook a strap to my bike from the Trailor or truck if I couldn’t lift it. But I understand what was being started in this thread. In the last 5 years I have had open heart surgery, a heart failure and 3 Ablation surgery’s, I’m still using the bike stand as a personal challenge
I have had 26 surgery's so far in my 55 years. Most were due to operator error riding one of my dirt bikes. The last one was in January. I had a MRI on my back and they discovered a spot on my right kidney. I then had a cat scan that showed a 1 1/4" tumor on my right kidney. I had surgery to remove the tumor a week later. It turned out to be cancer. I was very lucky that they found it due to all of my back trouble I have had since 1989 from racing motocross. I still need to have another back surgery or two in the future. But for now I just need a MX lift stand that will allow me to continue do what I love. Ride my motorcycles.
Xeno
3/19/2018 11:04am
wfo4ever- I've used all kinds of stands, and my favorite lift stand is made by DRC. The deck height is adjustable to accommodate different bike heights. I can sell you one for $95 shipped to your door.

kNewc
3/19/2018 11:35am
I got the cheap Fly adjustable stand. It's $60 and I haven't had any issues. No mechanical pistons or anything, just metal. It's pretty bullet-proof. My Harbor Freight one broke after the 3rd ride. Don't get it...
Phildo
3/20/2018 3:09am
Have a look at a scissor lift stand.

Mine's got castor wheels, so I can move it around when the bike is on it. However, with the castor wheels I have to lift the bike up on to the stand before jacking it up (ie as opposed to just sliding the stand under the bike).

The variable height is great for washing the bike, removing wheels and accessing areas that would normally require bending over with contortionist movements, etc.

You can run the engine whilst the bike is up in the air. Useful for cleaning the wheels, lubing the chain, etc.

To prevent motorbike theft you can have the bike in the air, remove the wheels and store them elsewhere. Takes minutes to put the wheels back in place (or, just remove the front wheel).

3/20/2018 5:25am
Canoe589 wrote:
I bought the Tusk Brand Steel Lift Stand from RM. Works awesome and is adjustable. I drilled holes in the feet and mounted four rubber wheeled...
I bought the Tusk Brand Steel Lift Stand from RM. Works awesome and is adjustable. I drilled holes in the feet and mounted four rubber wheeled casters. Works awesome and makes it easy to move bike around in the garage. Stand was around $50. I've had it close to 10 years now.
Yes..for a basic stand that works well and cost just $50...The Tusk is a winner.
AlexB289
Fantasy
3263rd
3/20/2018 6:47pm
I have a Motorsport products stand that works pretty well. I’ve had it about 5-6 years now.

race
4/21/2021 5:17pm
bump

Anyone have any updates to this thread?

After 30 years of lifting - and stressing out the plastic - I think I'm headed for a lift stand. I kinda like the Matrix LS1 stand. It appears to be a sturdy build. Can handle 500 lbs which means it will work for the street bike. Only thing missing is the adjustable deck height but don't think I need that. I like the auto lock - as long as it never fails and drops the bike.

The one thing I DON'T want is a wobbly design with a ton of play in it .... like I seem to see a lot of at the tracks.

Any real world reviews of it? Or other designs to look at?

mxracer666
4/21/2021 5:20pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Are you still hand-cranking your Model T, to start it, too? ;-)
mxracer666
4/21/2021 5:28pm
The DRC HC-2 lift stand is great. Solid. Easily adjustable for height. Has a catch to prevent accidental dropping. The Matrix stand is very good, but really only works on full-sized bikes, and is not adjustable for height. The lift-range is not all that much either (it doesn't lift the bike very much--fine for hard surfaces, but in the dirt you have to play with it occasionally to get the rear wheel completely off the ground)
race
4/21/2021 5:40pm
mxracer666 wrote:
The DRC HC-2 lift stand is great. Solid. Easily adjustable for height. Has a catch to prevent accidental dropping. The Matrix stand is very good, but...
The DRC HC-2 lift stand is great. Solid. Easily adjustable for height. Has a catch to prevent accidental dropping. The Matrix stand is very good, but really only works on full-sized bikes, and is not adjustable for height. The lift-range is not all that much either (it doesn't lift the bike very much--fine for hard surfaces, but in the dirt you have to play with it occasionally to get the rear wheel completely off the ground)
Thx - good to know. I like the Matrix idea of the auto-lock and not having to manually release it every time. Plus the ability to handle a heavy street bike means it can do double-duty. Too bad they didn't include deck height adjust as well.

Spooner
4/21/2021 7:04pm
billyp330 wrote:
I use this lift. Had it for over a year now and it works well.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/875/67084/Motorsport-Products-Lift…
I have had the same one for like 8 years and its much better than it should be for the price. Not much wobble and its super sturdy. The rubber on the top hasn't peeled up or anything either. Other than being a little heavy I can't find any fault.
mxracer666
4/21/2021 7:18pm
mxracer666 wrote:
The DRC HC-2 lift stand is great. Solid. Easily adjustable for height. Has a catch to prevent accidental dropping. The Matrix stand is very good, but...
race wrote:
Thx - good to know. I like the Matrix idea of the auto-lock and not having to manually release it every time. Plus the ability to...
Thx - good to know. I like the Matrix idea of the auto-lock and not having to manually release it every time. Plus the ability to handle a heavy street bike means it can do double-duty. Too bad they didn't include deck height adjust as well.

I don't think it will go under a heavy street bike - they are too low to the ground to fit most any dirt bike stand under it.
moto67e
Fantasy
2724th
4/21/2021 7:57pm
race wrote:
bump Anyone have any updates to this thread? After 30 years of lifting - and stressing out the plastic - I think I'm headed for a...
bump

Anyone have any updates to this thread?

After 30 years of lifting - and stressing out the plastic - I think I'm headed for a lift stand. I kinda like the Matrix LS1 stand. It appears to be a sturdy build. Can handle 500 lbs which means it will work for the street bike. Only thing missing is the adjustable deck height but don't think I need that. I like the auto lock - as long as it never fails and drops the bike.

The one thing I DON'T want is a wobbly design with a ton of play in it .... like I seem to see a lot of at the tracks.

Any real world reviews of it? Or other designs to look at?

The Matrix one is a good stand. Use the code g650c at check out for a good discount.

Post a reply to: What brand adjustable lift stands should I buy?

The Latest